Tom Brady: End of an Era?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Tom Brady: End of an Era?

Postby Steelersfan » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:44 pm

Patriots quarterback Tom Brady will enter the final year of his contract in 2010. Serious talks on an extension have not yet commenced.

And Michael Silver of Yahoo! Sports reports that a "growing sense of disconnect" has emerged between player and team.

Specifically, Silver writes that "no substantial talks" have occurred between Brady's agents and the team. If no deal happens before the 2010 season launches, Brady would then be forced to bear the risk of injury or ineffectiveness through 16 more regular-season games, and up to four postseason games.

If Brady makes it through 2010 in one piece with all ligaments intact, he gains plenty of leverage. At a minimum, he'd be negotiating a long-term deal with the $15 million-plus power of the franchise tag. At best, there will be no franchise tag in 2011, and he'll be able to go to the highest bidder. (Even if he's franchised, wouldn't a team desperate for a quarterback happily give up two first-round picks for him, especially if said team already plans to use one first-round pick on a guy who could be the next JaMarcus Russell?)

Silver believes that Brady will remain in New England for the long haul, but Silver also throws out the tantalizing possibility of Brady playing for a team that moves to his home of L.A., or possibly playing for the team for which he rooted as a kid, the 49ers.

And if he ever becomes an unrestricted free agent, chances are that someone else will offer Brady a record-breaking deal. Though the Pats likely would try to match it, Brady could decide in the end that the Patriots had their chance to treat him properly, and that the team opted instead to force him to get through the 2010 season unscathed.
PFT

cowboy82nd
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby cowboy82nd » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:26 pm

Just let me know when he leaves the AFC East.

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:27 pm

I will believe him not being a Patriot when I see it. I just can't picture them letting him walk away....

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:38 pm

hosler427 wrote:I will believe him not being a Patriot when I see it. I just can't picture them letting him walk away....
Agreed. This is one of those off-season filler stories so we can waste our time posting on message boards. I've spent enough time on this already.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:02 pm

skip wrote:
hosler427 wrote:I will believe him not being a Patriot when I see it. I just can't picture them letting him walk away....
Agreed. This is one of those off-season filler stories so we can waste our time posting on message boards. I've spent enough time on this already.
I thought the exact same thing when I originally read this but what else do we have to talk about this time of year... :lol:

The 49er's possibility is an intriguing one though, close to home and his favorite childhood team. Plus we all know (other than Vince) that Alex Smith is not the answer in San Fran... :D

kris_kapsner
Legend
Legend

Postby kris_kapsner » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:18 pm

Steelersfan wrote:
skip wrote:
I thought the exact same thing when I originally read this but what else do we have to talk about this time of year... :lol:

The 49er's possibility is an intriguing one though, close to home and his favorite childhood team. Plus we all know (other than Vince) that Alex Smith is not the answer in San Fran... :D
Can you imagine the value of Crabtree if Brady went there? He might even supplant one of the big three in value. :shock:
16 team PPR Est. 2002 (Champion: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016)
Start: QB, 2-4WR, 2-3RB, 1-2TE, K, D
QB: Russell Wilson, Zach Wilson
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Chubb, Hunt, G. Bernard
WR: Adams, Metcalf, Callaway, Shepard, Watkins, Fuller, T. Williams, Proche
TE: Kelce, Pitts, Njoku, Seals-Jones
K: Gay
D: Vikings

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:23 pm

kris_kapsner wrote:
Steelersfan wrote:
skip wrote: Agreed. This is one of those off-season filler stories so we can waste our time posting on message boards. I've spent enough time on this already.

Can you imagine the value of Crabtree if Brady went there? He might even supplant one of the big three in value. :shock:
I agree. Let's face it, the 49er's have a good young defense, top RB and TE, and an emerging WR in Crabtree that has the tools to be elite. If Smith doesn't at least get them into the playoffs this year they would be making a big mistake in making a move for Brady if the opportunity arises.

rkrazy
Starter
Starter

Postby rkrazy » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:44 pm

X2

No way NE lets Brady walk away just yet. This isn't a 38 y/o Brett Favre situation. They keep the players they value the most and Brady is at the top of the list.

willypohill
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby willypohill » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:46 pm

As soon as I read it was a PFT article I promptly forgot what it said. All they do is generate rumors.
Michigan Maulers
QB: Brady, Bradford, Henne, Gabbert, Hill, Edwards
RB: McCoy, Turner, Ingram, Spiller, R. Jennings, Tolbert, Lewis, McGahee, Buckhalter, J. Harrison
WR: Fitzgerald, G. Jennings, V-Jax, Crabtree, Holmes, McCluster, K. Walter
TE: V. Davis, Dreessen, Bennett
K: Akers, Barth
DL: T. Kelly, Ngata, A. Brown, D. Edwards, E. Brown, Avril
LB: Lofton, Cushing, V. Miller, Orakpo, Angerer, Wimbley, Witherspoon
DB: L. Landry, Rhodes, Byrd, T. Williams, Finnegan, Meriweather, J. Smith

Salty Dawg
Starter
Starter

Postby Salty Dawg » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:58 pm

He most likely gets Paid by the end of the season and rightfully so Retires a Patriot.

However, if the information that is being put out there is not off season blabber and does hold water...I wont be surprised to see NE say "bye bye".

And I will lick my chops where ever I have Crabs!! :P

Brady playing in the same uniform as one Joe Montana...I can see all the comparisons now.

I am definitely intrigued to see if this situation goes awry and we see Brady go elsewhere.
The new millenium is hitting its second full decade ...will it be another QB moving on...Mcnabb, ....??

yumbo
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby yumbo » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:14 pm

HOGWASH!! Brady isn't going anywhere. All you Niner fans (and Crabtree owners), just get that silly thought out of your minds. Ain't happening! :wink:

You may have been born and bred in old Kentucky, but you're just a crumb up here! TM 3 Stooges

Salty Dawg
Starter
Starter

Postby Salty Dawg » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:20 pm

yumbo wrote:HOGWASH!! Brady isn't going anywhere. All you Niner fans (and Crabtree owners), just get that silly thought out of your minds. Ain't happening! :wink:
LMFAO. :!:

sTAY tuned.. You are probably absolutely right but dont go far :)

pvballer3915
Captain
Captain

Postby pvballer3915 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:26 pm

cowboy82nd wrote:Just let me know when he leaves the AFC East.
;)

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:39 am

In response to a report that there's a "growing disconnect" between the Patriots and Tom Brady, owner Bob Kraft says he wants to solve the issue -- if there is one.

"Look, we are so lucky to have Tom Brady," Kraft said. "He's under contract. He's here. I'm privileged to have a pretty special relationship with him. And I think he knows how I feel about him. I think we both want to solve the problem, or the issue. I don't know that it's a problem ... it's complicated."
Rotoworld

Maybe there is some truth to the story... :wink:

BradyT
Legend
Legend

Postby BradyT » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:09 pm

Not going to happen! Tom Brady will not leave the Patriots!
24 roster spots - 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex

QB: Herbert,Minshew
RB: Breece,Walker,Taylor,BRobinson,Allgeier,Spiller
WR:Jefferson,Lamb,DJMoore,QJohnston,Jameson,MMims, T.Marshall,Shakir,Gallup
TE: Andrews,Conklin
DST:DAL
2024 picks: 1.11, 2.10, 4.01, 4.05, 4.07, 4.11