What do we do if there is no NFL 2020 season?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: What do we do if there is no NFL 2020 season?

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:15 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:10 pm The Draft is also a massive TV and live event for the NFL, which they will not completely cancel as evidenced by their refusal to move it this year and all the changes they've made to the Combine for TV purposes. The only way there isn't an NFL Draft next year (whether there's a 2020 season or not) is if things get dramatically worse and we all have far bigger problems and concerns than anything sports related.
For sure. I could see this draft having the best ratings ever, due to a captive audience. The NFL will do anything and everything to have a season, even if it's delayed or there are restrictions in place. The revenue loss would be colossal, and unless this thing can't be contained and level off the way it did in China, a cancelled season isn't happening.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:54 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:15 pm
bjd5211 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:10 pm The Draft is also a massive TV and live event for the NFL, which they will not completely cancel as evidenced by their refusal to move it this year and all the changes they've made to the Combine for TV purposes. The only way there isn't an NFL Draft next year (whether there's a 2020 season or not) is if things get dramatically worse and we all have far bigger problems and concerns than anything sports related.
For sure. I could see this draft having the best ratings ever, due to a captive audience. The NFL will do anything and everything to have a season, even if it's delayed or there are restrictions in place. The revenue loss would be colossal, and unless this thing can't be contained and level off the way it did in China, a cancelled season isn't happening.
Correct, there will absolutely be a season.
12 Team | SF | PPR | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Burrow
RB |
WR | Puka, Olave, Smith, Flowers, Dotson, Addison
TE | Pitts, Otton, Bellinger, Likely, Okonkwo
2024 | 1.01, 1.02, 4.01, 5.01
| 1stx3, 3rdx3

10 Team | SF | PPR | 2023 Champ
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Allen, Stroud, Young
RB | K Williams, White, Monty, Herbert, Chandler
WR | Lamb, AJB, Puka, Waddle, Mooney, J. Williams, Watson, Davis
TE | Andrews, Bellinger, Dulcich
2024 | 1.04, 3.10

12 Team | SF | PPR | 1.5TEP | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, FL, SF

QB | Herbert Lance
RB | ETN, Pacheco, K Williams, Singletary, Henry, A Jones, Warren
WR | ARSB, Wilson, Olave, DK, Puka, Flowers, Downs,
TE | Hockenson, Likely, Otton

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:18 am

I agree there is almost certainly going to be a season this year, my point is that even if there isn't the NFL will absolutely still have a draft next year barring this all snowballing into catastrophic event.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:46 pm

CGW wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:54 am
The question....is how?

Even if you do empty stadium games, the amount of people each team needs to operate a game is a lot. The curve would need to flatten significantly by the time football season comes around and currently it's not on pace to.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:00 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:46 pm
CGW wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:54 am

The question....is how?

Even if you do empty stadium games, the amount of people each team needs to operate a game is a lot. The curve would need to flatten significantly by the time football season comes around and currently it's not on pace to.
There's a ton of time still. The good weather is coming too, which is typically a bad thing for a flu like virus. If the States level off the way China did, or even a little behind it's curve, it will be fine.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:28 pm

Is it really "leveling off" in China though, or are they just saying it is?

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:30 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:28 pm Is it really "leveling off" in China though, or are they just saying it is?
Well, they've removed the quarantine, and the WHO numbers show that it has. Not sure how much they can lie about it to the rest of the world now.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:37 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:30 pm
bjd5211 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:28 pm Is it really "leveling off" in China though, or are they just saying it is?
Well, they've removed the quarantine, and the WHO numbers show that it has. Not sure how much they can lie about it to the rest of the world now.
There were reports of them denying admittance to hospitals of anyone showing symptoms just so they could claim not having any new cases. I have serious doubts about their claims of how under control they have it and suspect they are just trying to make themselves look good.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:51 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:37 pm There were reports of them denying admittance to hospitals of anyone showing symptoms just so they could claim not having any new cases. I have serious doubts about their claims of how under control they have it and suspect they are just trying to make themselves look good.
Be that as it may - South Korea are currently looking like geniuses for their strict quarantine measures. It can be done, it can be contained.

Of course, you're all in the USA - so good luck with that.

dizzler
Role Player
Role Player

Postby dizzler » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:00 pm

Madden Simulate week to week. Manually input stats each week. 😂

But in all seriousness, in my close friends league we have already voted and agreed to go by madden simulation if this happens lol..
Team 1 - Super Kamario Bros (12 Team - PPR) ( QB -1 , RB -2 , WR - 2, Te -1, FLX - 1, SuperFLX - 1, DP - 2, K- 1)
QB -Wentz, Newton, Ryan, Haskins (R)
RB -Zeke, Kamara, Drake, Ballage; Thompson, Ajayi
WR - D Hopkins, Julio, A. Miller, Coutee, AJ Brown (R) , Marvin Jones, Mclaurin (R),
Te -Delanie, Ebron, Oliver (R)
2020:3, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Kerryon Luggage (12 Team - 2TE PPR) ( QB -1 , RB -2 , WR - 2, Te -2, FLX - 1, SuperFLX - 1, DP - 2, K- 1)
QB - Jimmy G, Josh Allen, Mariota
RB - Kerryon, Jamaal Will, Drake, Ballage, Miles Sanders (R), Justice Hill (R), Myles Gaskins (R)
Wr - Micheal Thomas, Zay Jones, Curtis Samuel, Crowder, Coutee, Aj Brown (R), Marquise Brown (R), Keesean Johnson (R), Kelvin Harmon (R)
Te- Engram, Oj Howard, Josh Oliver (R)
2020: 3,3,3, 5

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:18 pm

I’m just assuming there will be a season, even though I realize there’s a chance that it’s shortened, although I’m not sure that will happen either. I’m not saying the NFL should do it, but it wouldn’t shock me if they had most of all of training camp canceled and still figured out a way to play the entire regular & post-season. I’m not downplaying how serious the Coronavirus is or anything like that but I just know how important sports are, particularly the NFL and the owners/players love money, so they will do everything in their power to play the season.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:54 pm

Cowboysfan33 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:18 pm I’m just assuming there will be a season, even though I realize there’s a chance that it’s shortened, although I’m not sure that will happen either. I’m not saying the NFL should do it, but it wouldn’t shock me if they had most of all of training camp canceled and still figured out a way to play the entire regular & post-season. I’m not downplaying how serious the Coronavirus is or anything like that but I just know how important sports are, particularly the NFL and the owners/players love money, so they will do everything in their power to play the season.
The more I think about this, I think I'm more worried about the NFL having to suspend/cancel the season after it's started than I am about them canceling it before the start.

One thing to consider- the NFL has a less "healthy" population than the NHL or NBA. If an NFL player dies from this, something that isn't likely but isn't impossible, I think you could see the NFLPA refusing to take the field.

To reiterate, I don't think either scenario is "likely" but but I'm more concerned about a season that starts and doesn't finish than I am about a season that gets canceled from the beginning.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:04 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:54 pm
Cowboysfan33 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:18 pm I’m just assuming there will be a season, even though I realize there’s a chance that it’s shortened, although I’m not sure that will happen either. I’m not saying the NFL should do it, but it wouldn’t shock me if they had most of all of training camp canceled and still figured out a way to play the entire regular & post-season. I’m not downplaying how serious the Coronavirus is or anything like that but I just know how important sports are, particularly the NFL and the owners/players love money, so they will do everything in their power to play the season.
The more I think about this, I think I'm more worried about the NFL having to suspend/cancel the season after it's started than I am about them canceling it before the start.

One thing to consider- the NFL has a less "healthy" population than the NHL or NBA. If an NFL player dies from this, something that isn't likely but isn't impossible, I think you could see the NFLPA refusing to take the field.

To reiterate, I don't think either scenario is "likely" but but I'm more concerned about a season that starts and doesn't finish than I am about a season that gets canceled from the beginning.
Good point. I know the Coronavirus isn’t the flu, so not saying that but like has been mentioned before, usually with warm weather, the flu kinda goes away. So, let’s say the curve gets flattened, slows way down, etc, come June or July, then they figure out a way to get the season started, then comes let’s say October and it comes back, yeah, I agree, I could see some major problems. Especially with 60,000 + in the stadiums.

RB6
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby RB6 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:10 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:37 pm
There were reports of them denying admittance to hospitals of anyone showing symptoms just so they could claim not having any new cases. I have serious doubts about their claims of how under control they have it and suspect they are just trying to make themselves look good.
I’m no medical expert, but I believe hospitals don’t want just anyone coming showing any sort of symptom resembling COVID. It would be overwhelming and detrimental to other patients and staff. And some patients may simply just have symptoms that are similar but unrelated. People are supposed to call health authorities first. At least, that’s how it is in Canada.
.5PPR 1Q/3W/2R/1T/1SF/2F
LJax, Burrow, Carr, Huntley, Heinicke, Cunningham
Adams, Kupp, Deebo, M Brown, Kirk, Wiliams, C Samuel, Palmer, E. Moore, Hodgins, Hutchinson
CMC, Barkley, Mostert, Ford, Moss, Dobbins, Dillon, Kelley, Tucker
Andrews, Higbee

PPR 1Q/3W/2R/1T/1SF/2F
Mahomes, Purdy, Dalton, Henicke, Trask, Zappe
Henry, Pacheco, Robinson, Wilson, Ford, Chandler, Deuce
Hill, Kupp, Shaheed, Toney, Lazard, Metchie, Mingo, Slayton, Shenault, Atwell, Hutchinson
Pitts, Waller, Washington

PPR Best Ball Dynasty SF .5TEP
Stroud, Cousins, Willis, Mariota, Cunningham
Walker, J Cook, Miller, Zamir, Rodriguez, Carter, Penny
St. Brown, Aiyuk, DJ Moore, London, Doubs, Metchie, Scott, Claypool
Kincaid, Dulcich, Fant, Turner, Hurst

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:33 pm

RB6 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:10 pm
bjd5211 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:37 pm

I’m no medical expert, but I believe hospitals don’t want just anyone coming showing any sort of symptom resembling COVID. It would be overwhelming and detrimental to other patients and staff. And some patients may simply just have symptoms that are similar but unrelated. People are supposed to call health authorities first. At least, that’s how it is in Canada.
Or in this case it's the Chinese government intervening as they tend to do...