What do we do if there is no NFL 2020 season?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: What do we do if there is no NFL 2020 season?

Postby MFundercover » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:24 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:16 am
TheNuts wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:47 am If you repeat something a health professional said then that means you're a pretend doctor according to him. He's one of those people where you're not allowed to talk about anything that you are not an expert on.
Yeah, this whole thing isn't complicated.

1. If you don't wear a mask or social distance, you risk community spread. All it takes is one person.

2. If you wear a mask and social distance, the risk of community spread is dramatically lower and can help decrease cases and the occurrence of the virus.

#1 is the issue that is going to be devastating for the NFL, because:

1. They are not planning to operate in a bubble.
2. They are going to travel from city to city
3. They're a contact sport where players are breathing all over each other and touching nonstop.
4. A lot of people are required to run an NFL game from players, coaches, medical staff, assistants, etc.

You don't need to be an expert; this is just common sense.

It's very fair for every fantasy league to reconsider if they're going to run this season. If you do run, you could be looking at a significantly watered down football product. What happens if a QB gets COVID? What happens if there's an outbreak of 10-12 players on a team? I get that randomness is a big part of fantasy football, but these types of things are factors that don't appeal to me and I'd rather not play if this is going to be the trend of the season (it will be).
LMAO. I didnt dispute any of this. Point out where I did.

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:25 am

wickerkat1212 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:01 am There is a LOT of ACTUAL evidence that there is damage done now, and that there will long-term damage. It's not just speculation. They can SEE the damage to the lungs, and KNOW that will not get better. This is a good article that talks about what they know NOW and what they PROJECT will be the long-term consequences, acknowledging that we need to keep studying. It looks HORRIBLE.

https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing ... th-effects
I dont think you understand the burden of proof required in medicine or understand the definition of the word anecdotal.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:37 am

I think it's looking more likely that there will be no football until there is a vaccine, so I think the best case is play resumes in 2021. Sucks, but I think ultimately they will prioritize health over revenue.

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:40 am

thebeast wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:37 am I think it's looking more likely that there will be no football until there is a vaccine, so I think the best case is play resumes in 2021. Sucks, but I think ultimately they will prioritize health over revenue.
I doubt that seriously.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:49 am

MFundercover wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:40 am
thebeast wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:37 am I think it's looking more likely that there will be no football until there is a vaccine, so I think the best case is play resumes in 2021. Sucks, but I think ultimately they will prioritize health over revenue.
I doubt that seriously.
You can doubt it all you want, but Basket Ball and Baseball seem to have gone that way and Baseball isn't even a contact sport. Football has far more hurdles than any other sport. Obviously I hope you're right, but I don't think it's likely from what we've seen so far.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:53 am

So, I am up to 2 family members and 3 people I know that have passed due to Covid. 3 of them where under the age of 40 and not "high risk." I find it very difficult to read people being so cavalier about it. We are struggling to get past the curve because we are a selfish country. Wearing a mask and skipping dinner at your favorite restaraunt is just to difficult of an ask to save others.

This thing is real, you either know that or you will when it impacts you.

I have said on multiple occasions that I think the season will happen because too much money is involved. I know think differently. There is no good reason to play a sport during this. I hope the players stand up for themselves and the safety of their families
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:08 pm

thebeast wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:49 am
I doubt that seriously.
You can doubt it all you want, but Basket Ball and Baseball seem to have gone that way and Baseball isn't even a contact sport. Football has far more hurdles than any other sport. Obviously I hope you're right, but I don't think it's likely from what we've seen so far.
Even if football does go through with it, they're going to be crawling to the finish line and they may not even cross.

You look at what's happening in college football already. A university had over 20 people on the team test positive. What happens if that goes down in the NFL? Also as someone pointed out, recovery times can vary for those infected.

In March and April we were holding on to the optimistic hope that things would be trending differently going into late summer. Well, currently we are trending the wrong way and states like Texas and Florida with multiple teams are leading the way.

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:09 pm

I doubt that seriously.
Am I missing something or are the NBA and MLB returning in July?

There is no guarantee that an effective vaccine will even be developed. Shutting down large parts of the economy permanently while waiting doesn't sound reasonable to me. The shutdown was originally intended to buy time and not overwhelm the health care system. Waiting on the hope's of a vaccine that may or may not come is unreasonable.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:22 pm

The NFL need to make some concessions if they want to have a season that isn't a disaster. They have rightfully just cancelled the HOF game and inductions. The fact they are planning hard knocks, with 2 teams this year (of all years), jamming extra people, producers, film crew etc. is just plain negligent.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:08 pm

MFundercover wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:09 pm

I doubt that seriously.
Am I missing something or are the NBA and MLB returning in July?

There is no guarantee that an effective vaccine will even be developed. Shutting down large parts of the economy permanently while waiting doesn't sound reasonable to me. The shutdown was originally intended to buy time and not overwhelm the health care system. Waiting on the hope's of a vaccine that may or may not come is unreasonable.
Are either of them playing yet? What we are seeing with the NBA is day by day players are opting out of returning and infections have increased within the league since they resumed team practices. They may have a date, but it still looks far from a certainty that the season will resume. The entire NBA that they would bring back and basically lockdown in Orlando is the same number of people that comprise about 4 NLF teams and they are already struggling with this. Have you looked into the NBA's plans? Even if they do resume there is no way the NFL could replicate what they are doing for a full season.

TheNuts
Captain
Captain

Postby TheNuts » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:12 pm

MFundercover wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:22 am
TheNuts wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:47 am
Shoreline Steamers wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:04 pm

There have already been many cases of people recovering from Covid, but suffering from lung damage. Many doctors believe these patients are likely to have decreased lung function moving forward due to complications from the virus. Some so severe, that they're likely to need oxygen supplementation moving forward. Ditto for kidneys, and heart disease. Damaged organs don't just always heal themselves. As for the blood clotting issue causing strokes and heart attacks in people, long-term issues are uncertain (will they be more susceptible to future clotting?). These are the opinions of professionals in the medical field.

I'm not a doctor, I don't pretend to be. I'm just paying attention to the doctors and researchers that speak about the virus on a regular basis to try and stay informed. You can believe this to be hype, overkill, a media sensation, whatever you like.

But the fact is, since you seem keen on them, that your post adds nothing to this discussion other than to denigrate others for the ideas and opinions they choose to share. Of course you are correct that nobody knows exactly what the long term effects from the virus are, because it's only existed for 6 months.
If you repeat something a health professional said then that means you're a pretend doctor according to him. He's one of those people where you're not allowed to talk about anything that you are not an expert on.
That wasn't my point at all. At this stage nobody knows the long term effects of coronavirus because they cant know. Just because a few doctors submit the possibility doesn't make it fact, it makes it anecdotal. It's not even debateable and you dont need to be a doctor to understand. People like you are insufferable. That wasn't my point at all. Whether or not any of us went to med school doesnt change the burden of proof in medicine or the FACT that what we are discussing are anecdotal cases at this point.

But I forgot, this forum does not welcome facts
Right, facts. Can't talk about things that could be possible. Sounds about right. Looking ahead is not a strong suit among many people. Keep trying to control what people can and can't talk about. See how far it gets you.
12 team ppr 4 point pass td

Murray, Minshew
Singletary, Lindsay, Samuels, Ty Johnson
Chark, Arob, Woods, Diontae, Nkeal, Lazard, Conley, Cole, Dorsett
Higbee, Jarwin, Dissly
Gould, Patriots

14 team ppr superflex, .2 ppc, WR 25% ppr bonus, TE ppr bonus 75%

Mayfield, Minshew, Trubisky, Foles, Hill
Djohns, Singletary, Fournette, Harris, Armstead, Ogunbawale, Samuels
Julio, Arob, Woods, Sims Jr, Claypool, Duvernay, Isabella, Conley, Tyrell
Waller, Hurst, Jarwin, Boyle

12 team ppr 4 point pass td, superflex, 1.5 TE ppr

Goff, Minshew, Hill, Alllen, Walker
Chubb, Taylor, Henry, Singletary, David Johnson, Damien Harris, Hyde, Boone, Blasingame
Tyreek, Boyd, Diontae, Marvin Jones, Pittman, Nkeal, Duvernay, Sims Jr, Stills
Waller, Higbee, Arnold, Olsen, Parkinson, Sample

20 team ppr 6 point pass td, .05 point per return yard

Matt Ryan
Fournette, Singletary, Harris, Cohen, Duke Johnson, Trey Edmunds
Davante Adams, Tyreek, Sutton, Boyd, Dorsett, Tyrell
Kittle, Jarwin, Oliver

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:24 pm

MFundercover wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:57 am Why are people so sensitive? You cant handle a simple disagreement without accusing me of "denigrating" others.

These reports are anecdotal for now. And if we are making assumptions, anecdotally, it appears that these complications are a minor risk. Not something I lose sleep over.
This is already wild from the dude who came here seeking validation in a brag post and then lost his mind when people didn't tell him he had the best team***, but here is the angry triple-post that followed his question "why are people so sensitive?"
MFundercover wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:22 amThat wasn't my point at all. At this stage nobody knows the long term effects of coronavirus because they cant know. Just because a few doctors submit the possibility doesn't make it fact, it makes it anecdotal. It's not even debateable and you dont need to be a doctor to understand. People like you are insufferable. That wasn't my point at all. Whether or not any of us went to med school doesnt change the burden of proof in medicine or the FACT that what we are discussing are anecdotal cases at this point.

But I forgot, this forum does not welcome facts
MFundercover wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:25 amI dont think you understand the burden of proof required in medicine or understand the definition of the word anecdotal.
MFundercover wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:24 amLMAO. I didnt dispute any of this. Point out where I did.
Maybe you could answer- why are people so sensitive? Please be sure to throw in the word "fact" in all caps in your response.

Regardless of what you think, the idea that "the burden of proof" in medicine is to prove danger rather than proving safety is completely backward. Imagine if we developed medications and let drug companies market them, and then forced society to prove it was dangerous before they stopped selling them. (You actually don't have to imagine, you can just google the Sulfanilamide Tragedy.) Imagine the AIDS crisis being managed as "well, reports of people dying from this disease are still anecdotal, and we don't even know what's causing it, so feel free to keep sharing needles." The idea that "well, right now we just have 'anecdotal' evidence of long term morbidity, so it's probably fine for you to all go contract the disease" because you want to watch football this fall is a bad one. The way you spoke so authoritatively about "the burden of proof in medicine" while being so thoroughly misguided is tough to read.

If you want to rant and rave about how we should all be willing to die for the economy, that's fine, (although a fantasy football is a weird choice of venue) but don't pretend like what you're mindlessly shouting about has any medical basis. It doesn't.

Maybe you should take a little break from here and find a Facebook group where you can complain about how wearing a mask infringes upon your "freedoms". That might be more your speed, champ.

***If you guys don't know what I was referring to when he called all of you out for being "sensitive," here's the link to the thread above where this guy has a meltdown when people don't fawn over his team: viewtopic.php?t=203456
It's locked now, but absolutely worth a read.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

esloan35
All Pro
All Pro

Postby esloan35 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:56 pm

Bot101 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:25 am
esloan35 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:34 pm I popped positive today and it sucks. We are in community spread and this thing is long from over. Stay safe and be smart folks!
How did you get it? Did you have symptoms or just got tested anyway?
I'm in the fire service (Deputy Chief), we have had an incident management team in place since Feb. 24, so I have been every way from Sunday on this thing for a long time.

Started with a mild dry cough and general eye pressure (Monday). We take temps all day so anything over 100 folks get sent home. Went home that night and had night sweats and shivering throughout the night. Woke up and took my temp (still low), felt well and went to the office. Took my temp and it stayed low, with most of our folks working from home I wasn't around anyone and felt generally well, other than it felt like I did 5 sets of squats the day before with my legs aching (had a good work out the night before so didn't think much of it).

Got home that night and took my temp at it hit the 100.2. Had a miserable night waking up a bunch with night sweats and fever. Woke up early that am on Tuesday and sat in a drive through line for 4 hours and got my results the same day about 3 hours later. Better night sleep last night with nights sweats again and no fever. Body aches today in lower extremities and back, but not to bad over all (eyeballs feel like they weigh 3 pounds each). We are in quarantine as a family in the house.

Arizona is a mess and our testing is becoming an issue for locations.

Yes, the vitamin C, D and Zinc regiments should all work great. Use Tylenol for symptoms (no Ibuprofen), limit sugar intake and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. No Gatorade (too much sugar), pedialyte if you need electrolytes, water is best. Get a pulse oximeter so you can watch your O2 levels. We are seeing folks decompensate quickly not realizing they are going hypoxic until it's in the later stages which is a bad thing.

Follow the basics and if you need anything send me a direct message. I know people have COVID fatigue and its become political. Stay home if you don't feel well, I should of stayed home a day earlier. Fortunately, I didn't come in contact with anyone.

On a sports front, JUCO sports (daughter plays bball) have been cancelled in AZ for 2020/2021 and high school sports won't be far behind.

I won't bring it up again unless I'm asked, appreciate the DLF family and enjoy yucking up sports with you all.

All the best, Stay safe and healthy, Eric Kriwer
Last edited by esloan35 on Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:04 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:24 pm
***If you guys don't know what I was referring to when he called all of you out for being "sensitive," here's the link to the thread above where this guy has a meltdown when people don't fawn over his team: viewtopic.php?t=203456
It's locked now, but absolutely worth a read.
I would have voted team 2 as well....
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:38 pm

esloan35 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:56 pm
Bot101 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:25 am
esloan35 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:34 pm I popped positive today and it sucks. We are in community spread and this thing is long from over. Stay safe and be smart folks!
How did you get it? Did you have symptoms or just got tested anyway?
I am in the fire service (Deputy Chief), we have had an incident management team in place since Feb. 24, so I have been every way from Sunday on this thing for a long time.

Started with a mild dry cough and general eye pressure (Monday). We take temps all day so anything over 100 folks get sent home. Went home that night and had night sweats and shivering throughout the night. Woke up and took my temp (still low), felt well and went to the office. Took my temp and it stayed low, with most of our folks working from home I wasn't around anyone and felt generally well, other than it felt like I did 5 sets of squats the day before with my legs aching (had a good work out the night before so didn't think much of it).

Got home that night and took my temp at it hit the 100.2. Had a miserable night waking up a bunch with night sweats and fever. Woke up early that am on Tuesday and sat in a drive through line for 4 hours and got my results the same day about 3 hours later. Better night sleep last night with nights sweats again and no fever. Body aches today in lower extremities and back, but not to bad over all (eyeballs feel like they weigh 3 pounds each). We are in quarantine as a family in the house.

Arizona is a mess and our testing is becoming an issue for locations.

Yes the vitamin B, C, D and Zinc regiments should all work great. Use Tylenol for symptoms (no Ibuprofen), limit sugar intake and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. No Gatorade (too much sugar), pedialyte if you need electrolytes, water is best. Get a pulse oximeter so you can watch your O2 levels. We are seeing folks decompensate quickly not realizing they are going hypoxic until it's in the later stages which is a bad thing.

Follow the basics and if you need anything send me a direct message. I know people have COVID fatigue and its become political. Stay home if you don't feel well, I should of stayed home a day earlier. Fortunately, I didn't come in contact with anyone.

On a sports front, JUCO sports (daughter plays bball) have been cancelled in AZ for 2020/2021 and high school sports won't be far behind.

I won't bring it up again unless I'm asked, appreciate the DLF family and enjoy yucking up sports with you all.

All the best, Stay safe and healthy, Eric Kriwer
Thanks for this, it's incredibly helpful. I hope you recover quickly. One of my family members had it, he's 40 and we were pretty close to losing him. Remdesivir did the trick for him, he had an almost instant turn around. They wanted to intubate him, but he fought them and was allowed to fight it on his own until he got that drug, which was very experimental then.