What do we do if there is no NFL 2020 season?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Hankybro21
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: What do we do if there is no NFL 2020 season?

Postby Hankybro21 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:40 pm

Slackalacker wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:50 am In the case of a cancelled 2020 season of my leagues is floating the idea of doing a sim-based fantasy league where each weeks games are simulated via Madden or another source and fantasy stats are derived from those simulated games. There would be a drastically reduced buyin (likely by 90%), and would pretty much be for having fun. I’m not sure this is a great option for highly competitive leagues due to the not fully realistic nature of sims, but it could be a fun alternative for those seeking to have a fantasy season of sorts.

I haven’t looked, but I wonder if any major Fantasy Football providers would consider running an official simulation of the season if it were to be cancelled.

Edit: I just saw NFL has already done a 2020 Madden Simulation available on Youtube for many games. For the simulation to work for fantasy there would have to be fresh simulations so that people don’t have an unfair advantage by looking at previous sims statistics. It’s definitely not a fool proof system, but it sounded like fun to me for less competitive leagues.
We've actually talked about this and it's gaining some steam the league. Not ideal by any means...but better than nothing
Team 1
Q: Allen, Lamar
W: Devonta, Nuk, Godwin, Adams, Diontae, MT, Bateman, Toney, Osborn
R: JT, Henry, Ekeler, Gibbs, Mattison, Ford
T: Kelce

Team 2
Q: Allen, Mahomes, ARich
W: Jefferson, AJB, Tyreek, GW, Ridley, Godwin, MT, Downs, Toney
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, Breece, J. Cook, Kamara
T: Kelce, Hock
2024: 1.02, 1.04, Pick 21
2025: 1st (early)

Team 3
Q: Lamar, Herbert, Goff, Geno
W: Chase, AJB, Waddle, Pittman, Ridley, MT, Terrace Marshall, Downs
R: CMC, Ekeler, Bijan, Barkley, JT, Kamara, Tucker
T: Andrews, Granson
2024: 1.03, 3rd (late)

Team 4
Q: Mahomes, Allen, Geno
W: Tyreek, Lamb, Ridley, Pittman, Diontae, MT
R: CMC, Henry, JT, Chubb, Dobbins, Tucker
T: Kelce, Gesicki, Kittle

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:47 pm

Hankybro21 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:40 pm
Slackalacker wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:50 am In the case of a cancelled 2020 season of my leagues is floating the idea of doing a sim-based fantasy league where each weeks games are simulated via Madden or another source and fantasy stats are derived from those simulated games. There would be a drastically reduced buyin (likely by 90%), and would pretty much be for having fun. I’m not sure this is a great option for highly competitive leagues due to the not fully realistic nature of sims, but it could be a fun alternative for those seeking to have a fantasy season of sorts.

I haven’t looked, but I wonder if any major Fantasy Football providers would consider running an official simulation of the season if it were to be cancelled.

Edit: I just saw NFL has already done a 2020 Madden Simulation available on Youtube for many games. For the simulation to work for fantasy there would have to be fresh simulations so that people don’t have an unfair advantage by looking at previous sims statistics. It’s definitely not a fool proof system, but it sounded like fun to me for less competitive leagues.
We've actually talked about this and it's gaining some steam the league. Not ideal by any means...but better than nothing
It's your league, hey, do what you want, but for me, not a chance. Fine line between healthy hobby and fanatical addiction, and that gets too close to the latter for me.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:03 pm

Some pretty bad news for this thread suggested by a new study out of Wuhan... there may be no long-term immunity for Coronavirus survivors. Their sample size is small (~40 people) but was based on a wave of frontline medical workers who first caught it 3 months ago.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/18/heal ... odies.html

Suggests that antibodies are disappearing faster than in other SARS strains - 3 months as opposed to the usual year.

Soooooo... yeah. :cry:

esloan35
All Pro
All Pro

Postby esloan35 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:27 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:41 pm
esloan35 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:22 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:50 pm

I didn't get the memo about how the DLF community got the ability to change the structure of the NFL season. I'm going to have to DM Jeff about this.
Just spit balling... have to do something other than sulk. Sucks on all levels, my oldest daughters second year of Juco basketball, other daughter junior year of Vball, and pray my parents don’t catch this bleep. Always good to hear some creative ideas.
Yeah, I was just making a joke.

I do however, find the NFL's stance insane, though, TBH. They are currently telling players to stop practicing in groups, while simultaneously going ahead with Hard Knocks, with 2 teams this year, so jamming extra people into buildings of multiple teams amidst a pandemic. I think their arrogance to simply plod ahead with business as usual will fail epically, but I'd love to be wrong.
All good, as the DLF family goes, we will entertain ourselves I’m sure.

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:21 am

I think some of you guys are under-estimating these NFL owners. I highly doubt that they are going to cancel the season, beforehand, they are going to do everything they can to play the season. Again, not saying that’s what “should” happen but that’s what I think will happen. They are going to watch how the NBA & MLB situations work or don’t work and adjust from there and even though there will be some players that might end up sitting out, there’s going to be more than enough that’s going to be more than happy to take that risk to get those huge paychecks. I think they’ll probably end up shortening pre-season but starting the season on time or close to it, without fans, which is what I’ve always thought they would do.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:54 am

Cowboysfan33 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:21 am I think some of you guys are under-estimating these NFL owners. I highly doubt that they are going to cancel the season, beforehand, they are going to do everything they can to play the season. Again, not saying that’s what “should” happen but that’s what I think will happen. They are going to watch how the NBA & MLB situations work or don’t work and adjust from there and even though there will be some players that might end up sitting out, there’s going to be more than enough that’s going to be more than happy to take that risk to get those huge paychecks. I think they’ll probably end up shortening pre-season but starting the season on time or close to it, without fans, which is what I’ve always thought they would do.
It seems like mostly everyone expects the NFL to go through this season through hell or high water. There's more money at stake than the NBA, MLB, or any other professional sports league. The Super Bowl is worth billions in revenue each year.

The scary part here is that they're currently proceeding without a bubble plan and they're going to let teams travel. I just don't see how that's going to work.

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:11 pm

I guess they could travel if everyone is distancing and wearing masks, and then isolated in hotels. But I can't see players honoring that. If the public isn't, I think they'll be BETTER, but probably not 100%.
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, Rodriguez, Spiller WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Myers, Reynold, Jones TE—Kmet, Likely, Kraft, Conklin, Hurst, Hudson PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: DJM, Higgins, JSN, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, Hutchinson, Iosivas, Devante, CJones TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:34 pm

Cowboysfan33 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:21 am I think some of you guys are under-estimating these NFL owners. I highly doubt that they are going to cancel the season, beforehand, they are going to do everything they can to play the season. Again, not saying that’s what “should” happen but that’s what I think will happen. They are going to watch how the NBA & MLB situations work or don’t work and adjust from there and even though there will be some players that might end up sitting out, there’s going to be more than enough that’s going to be more than happy to take that risk to get those huge paychecks. I think they’ll probably end up shortening pre-season but starting the season on time or close to it, without fans, which is what I’ve always thought they would do.
I think it's more to do with government restriction not allowing them to have a season. There is also a chance the players union steps in.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

esloan35
All Pro
All Pro

Postby esloan35 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:36 pm

It’s a pandemic folks..........it doesn’t care about money or the Super Bowl....

TheNuts
Captain
Captain

Postby TheNuts » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:11 pm

wickerkat1212 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:11 pm I guess they could travel if everyone is distancing and wearing masks, and then isolated in hotels. But I can't see players honoring that. If the public isn't, I think they'll be BETTER, but probably not 100%.
Players like to party too much
12 team ppr 4 point pass td

Murray, Minshew
Singletary, Lindsay, Samuels, Ty Johnson
Chark, Arob, Woods, Diontae, Nkeal, Lazard, Conley, Cole, Dorsett
Higbee, Jarwin, Dissly
Gould, Patriots

14 team ppr superflex, .2 ppc, WR 25% ppr bonus, TE ppr bonus 75%

Mayfield, Minshew, Trubisky, Foles, Hill
Djohns, Singletary, Fournette, Harris, Armstead, Ogunbawale, Samuels
Julio, Arob, Woods, Sims Jr, Claypool, Duvernay, Isabella, Conley, Tyrell
Waller, Hurst, Jarwin, Boyle

12 team ppr 4 point pass td, superflex, 1.5 TE ppr

Goff, Minshew, Hill, Alllen, Walker
Chubb, Taylor, Henry, Singletary, David Johnson, Damien Harris, Hyde, Boone, Blasingame
Tyreek, Boyd, Diontae, Marvin Jones, Pittman, Nkeal, Duvernay, Sims Jr, Stills
Waller, Higbee, Arnold, Olsen, Parkinson, Sample

20 team ppr 6 point pass td, .05 point per return yard

Matt Ryan
Fournette, Singletary, Harris, Cohen, Duke Johnson, Trey Edmunds
Davante Adams, Tyreek, Sutton, Boyd, Dorsett, Tyrell
Kittle, Jarwin, Oliver

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:38 am

esloan35 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:36 pm It’s a pandemic folks..........it doesn’t care about money or the Super Bowl....
People care more about money and the economy than the pandemic though.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:33 am

bjd5211 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:38 am
esloan35 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:36 pm It’s a pandemic folks..........it doesn’t care about money or the Super Bowl....
That is largely accurate. Every risk has a perceived value that makes the risk tolerable. Drinking, smoking, and driving will all continue to kill more than this virus, yet we still sell alcohol and cigarettes at an alarming rate while our entire economy hinges largely on automotive travel. I personally still enjoy alcohol on a regular basis and drive to work daily knowing that both of these things can kill me. I don't expect the government to tell me I can't do these activities, but I adhere to their risk reducing guidelines - age limits, speed limits, etc.

This virus is no different. There is a chance you will get it any time you go into a public space. For a 65yo+ the risk can be high for serious symptoms. For a 25yo, it's extremely low. Everyone is going to have to decide how much risk they are willing to take and adjust accordingly, while adhering to guidelines and recommendations laid out by the experts (likely not the politicians.)

The NFL will likely have to come up with guidelines and rules to reduce their overall risk to a point it's acceptable for the perceived value (in this case lots of money). I imagine this will include games with no fans as well as preventative equipment, frequent testing and contact tracing.
12 Team | SF | PPR | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Burrow
RB |
WR | Puka, Olave, Smith, Flowers, Dotson, Addison
TE | Pitts, Otton, Bellinger, Likely, Okonkwo
2024 | 1.01, 1.02, 4.01, 5.01
| 1stx3, 3rdx3

10 Team | SF | PPR | 2023 Champ
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Allen, Stroud, Young
RB | K Williams, White, Monty, Herbert, Chandler
WR | Lamb, AJB, Puka, Waddle, Mooney, J. Williams, Watson, Davis
TE | Andrews, Bellinger, Dulcich
2024 | 1.04, 3.10

12 Team | SF | PPR | 1.5TEP | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, FL, SF

QB | Herbert Lance
RB | ETN, Pacheco, K Williams, Singletary, Henry, A Jones, Warren
WR | ARSB, Wilson, Olave, DK, Puka, Flowers, Downs,
TE | Hockenson, Likely, Otton

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:48 am

CGW wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:33 am
That is largely accurate. Every risk has a perceived value that makes the risk tolerable. Drinking, smoking, and driving will all continue to kill more than this virus, yet we still sell alcohol and cigarettes at an alarming rate while our entire economy hinges largely on automotive travel. I personally still enjoy alcohol on a regular basis and drive to work daily knowing that both of these things can kill me. I don't expect the government to tell me I can't do these activities, but I adhere to their risk reducing guidelines - age limits, speed limits, etc.

This virus is no different. There is a chance you will get it any time you go into a public space. For a 65yo+ the risk can be high for serious symptoms. For a 25yo, it's extremely low. Everyone is going to have to decide how much risk they are willing to take and adjust accordingly, while adhering to guidelines and recommendations laid out by the experts (likely not the politicians.)

The NFL will likely have to come up with guidelines and rules to reduce their overall risk to a point it's acceptable for the perceived value (in this case lots of money). I imagine this will include games with no fans as well as preventative equipment, frequent testing and contact tracing.
Agree, this virus is no biggie. Like, if I visit my Mom she might die if anyone in my family is unwittingly spreading the virus. But no big deal. Playing with her grandchild is clearly on the same level as smoking her entire life or drinking while driving. Risk v reward guys, it's science.

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:26 am

/mic drop.
10-Team Dynasty League QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/FLEX (23 man rosters + 2 IR + 2 Taxi, non-PPR scoring)
QB: Herbert, Goff
RB: Bijan, JT, Saquon, J.Cook, K.Hunt, Foreman, Z.White, McKinnon, S.Tucker
WR: G.Wilson, Olave, Jeudy, Pittman, J.Williams, OBJ, N. Brown, JuJu,
TE: Chig, Conklin, L. Thomas
Taxi: M.Mims, Ro. Johnson
'24: (4) 1sts, 2nd, (2) 3rds, 4th
'25: (2) 1sts, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:03 am

CGW wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:33 am

Good points. I agree