What do we do if there is no NFL 2020 season?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: What do we do if there is no NFL 2020 season?

Postby Bot101 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:59 pm

We could always play fantasy E-sports!

flexcapacitor
Captain
Captain

Postby flexcapacitor » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:50 am

I'm trying to figure out how likely it is that the Covid will just happen over the next month or two and then just go away. If it just goes away after a couple months then there should be an NFL season and most of a MLB season. But the experts seem to be saying that there will be 2nd and 3rd waves of the virus after restrictions are lifted, then this could go into August. That seems a bit to close to the start of the NFL season for it to start on time to me. How would the NFL contain the virus at games or how would it be contained for teams? If us in dynasty are thinking ahead should we be looking to trade veteran players that are close to falling off their age cliff like Edelman, M Ryan, Julio, Brees, Brady, M Gordon before anything is canceled?

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:04 am

flexcapacitor wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:50 am I'm trying to figure out how likely it is that the Covid will just happen over the next month or two and then just go away. If it just goes away after a couple months then there should be an NFL season and most of a MLB season. But the experts seem to be saying that there will be 2nd and 3rd waves of the virus after restrictions are lifted, then this could go into August. That seems a bit to close to the start of the NFL season for it to start on time to me. How would the NFL contain the virus at games or how would it be contained for teams? If us in dynasty are thinking ahead should we be looking to trade veteran players that are close to falling off their age cliff like Edelman, M Ryan, Julio, Brees, Brady, M Gordon before anything is canceled?
The simple answer is they can't.

The only way the NFL season can go on as scheduled is if we get a vaccine or the curve flattens drastically. We're not on pace for either before the season starts. There were 16,000 new cases from yesterday across the U.S. and there are over 300,000 active cases.

The NFL is being stubborn, but I expect the season to be postponed. There's too many people that it takes to operate an NFL game (players, coaches, officials, announcers, camera crew, medical staff, trainers, etc.). Plus, you can't travel to other team's stadiums. The NBA tried operating for a day with this stuff and it backfired big time with multiple players having cases.

There's a very miniscule chance that you could play an abbreviated schedule, where you only face teams from your division. Maybe test each team, keep them quarantined in nearby hotels, and have them play games in a central location. But again there's still too many people needed to run a full game of football and you'd have people coming in and out of that stadium, and all it takes is 1 person.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:12 am

Cowboysfan33 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:18 pm I’m just assuming there will be a season, even though I realize there’s a chance that it’s shortened, although I’m not sure that will happen either. I’m not saying the NFL should do it, but it wouldn’t shock me if they had most of all of training camp canceled and still figured out a way to play the entire regular & post-season. I’m not downplaying how serious the Coronavirus is or anything like that but I just know how important sports are, particularly the NFL and the owners/players love money, so they will do everything in their power to play the season.
It seems like the NFL is going through the same stages the NBA was. The NBA thought that they could resume their season initially in like 30 days. That's not going to happen. Then they started discussing abbreviated ways to finish the season, and now that's not going to happen. Players are not open to the idea of finishing the season and losing their summer time with their families either. More than likely, it seems the NBA is going to cancel their season and look to the next one on their normal calendar.

The NFL has a slightly better chance to play on as normal, but even then, there's just no way they can contain it with so many people needed to operate a football game. I think we're going to end up with an abbreviated schedule of 6-8 games.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:48 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:12 am
Cowboysfan33 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:18 pm I’m just assuming there will be a season, even though I realize there’s a chance that it’s shortened, although I’m not sure that will happen either. I’m not saying the NFL should do it, but it wouldn’t shock me if they had most of all of training camp canceled and still figured out a way to play the entire regular & post-season. I’m not downplaying how serious the Coronavirus is or anything like that but I just know how important sports are, particularly the NFL and the owners/players love money, so they will do everything in their power to play the season.
It seems like the NFL is going through the same stages the NBA was. The NBA thought that they could resume their season initially in like 30 days. That's not going to happen. Then they started discussing abbreviated ways to finish the season, and now that's not going to happen. Players are not open to the idea of finishing the season and losing their summer time with their families either. More than likely, it seems the NBA is going to cancel their season and look to the next one on their normal calendar.

The NFL has a slightly better chance to play on as normal, but even then, there's just no way they can contain it with so many people needed to operate a football game. I think we're going to end up with an abbreviated schedule of 6-8 games.
The NBA was mid season, the NFL season is still over 5 months away. We really can't predict how this will go, but they have a way better chance to play on as normal, in terms of the regular season. The NFL has way more flexibility and options available than the NBA. I agree the season may be shortened, but I think there will be a season, personally. The issue right now, is having enough off season training and preparation to put out a watchable product and keep players safety in mind, if they want to start on time in September.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:05 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:48 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:12 am

The NBA was mid season, the NFL season is still over 5 months away. We really can't predict how this will go, but they have a way better chance to play on as normal, in terms of the regular season. The NFL has way more flexibility and options available than the NBA. I agree the season may be shortened, but I think there will be a season, personally. The issue right now, is having enough off season training and preparation to put out a watchable product and keep players safety in mind, if they want to start on time in September.
I agree, if only because I suspect by November that point-of-care testing will be scalable to the point that we can test every player, coach, ref, and broadcast crew before they enter into the stadium each week, and anybody who's positive will have to go quarantine. I don't think 50,000 person gatherings in September seems realistic.

I'd also be concerned about a lot of the NFL's players if they get this. They're not nearly as "healthy" as the population of the NBA or NHL.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:41 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:05 pm

I suspect by November that point-of-care testing will be scalable to the point that we can test every player, coach, ref, and broadcast crew before they enter into the stadium each week, and anybody who's positive will have to go quarantine. I don't think 50,000 person gatherings in September seems realistic.
I agree. The massive benefit the NFL has over other major North American sports, is that they have by far the shortest regular season and playoffs in terms of length of months. A little less than 5 months between the start of the regular season and the last game. So there is the possibility of a season starting in December, and still having the 2021 off-season and regular season being far less affected than other pro sports.

There will be major issues with the 2021 draft class, and development of prospects if the college season decides not to play, though.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:23 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:48 pm The NBA was mid season, the NFL season is still over 5 months away. We really can't predict how this will go, but they have a way better chance to play on as normal, in terms of the regular season. The NFL has way more flexibility and options available than the NBA. I agree the season may be shortened, but I think there will be a season, personally. The issue right now, is having enough off season training and preparation to put out a watchable product and keep players safety in mind, if they want to start on time in September.
I think there will be a season, but I don't think they can postpone it too far out.

I actually think the NFL is at a bigger disadvantage than any other sport, because there's more preparation that goes into the game:

NFL Combine
Free Agency
NFL Draft
Voluntary Minicamp
Rookie Camp
OTAs
Mandatory Minicamp
Training Camp
Preseason

So, let's say the NFL season gets pushed back a few months and starts in November/December. We're talking about the Super Bowl then happening in April or May. Then you would have to condense the offseason in order to get the league calendar back on track. It wouldn't work unless the schedule is abbreviated heavily.

And even then, the issue right now is that players can't take physicals, can't really run the plays or get in the building, not everyone has access to do legitimate NFL workouts. They have the advantage of a shorter season, but they're at a disadvantage with way more layers to consider.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:27 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:23 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:48 pm The NBA was mid season, the NFL season is still over 5 months away. We really can't predict how this will go, but they have a way better chance to play on as normal, in terms of the regular season. The NFL has way more flexibility and options available than the NBA. I agree the season may be shortened, but I think there will be a season, personally. The issue right now, is having enough off season training and preparation to put out a watchable product and keep players safety in mind, if they want to start on time in September.
I think there will be a season, but I don't think they can postpone it too far out.

I actually think the NFL is at a bigger disadvantage than any other sport, because there's more preparation that goes into the game:

NFL Combine
Free Agency
NFL Draft
Voluntary Minicamp
Rookie Camp
OTAs
Mandatory Minicamp
Training Camp
Preseason

So, let's say the NFL season gets pushed back a few months and starts in November/December. We're talking about the Super Bowl then happening in April or May. Then you would have to condense the offseason in order to get the league calendar back on track. It wouldn't work unless the schedule is abbreviated heavily.

And even then, the issue right now is that players can't take physicals, can't really run the plays or get in the building, not everyone has access to do legitimate NFL workouts. They have the advantage of a shorter season, but they're at a disadvantage with way more layers to consider.
I think they will find a way to make it work. There is a ton of money on the line. The highlighted can be condensed and or rearranged, and will, rather than foot the expense of losing televised regular season games in 2021, if at all possible. I think the likelihood is a shortened NFL season in 2020, and full 2021 season. Unless the unthinkable happens.

Wile E. Coyote
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Wile E. Coyote » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:37 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:23 pm

NFL Combine
Free Agency
NFL Draft
Voluntary Minicamp
Rookie Camp
OTAs
Mandatory Minicamp
Training Camp
Preseason

I too think there is a real chance for an NFL season; but with the real likely hood that there won't be any fans in the stadiums.

I don't feel that delaying the start of the season should be that big of an issue for the NFL. Just as other jobs have moved from the office to working from home, the NFL could do free agency and the draft during a pandemic. Actually, some players have signed contracts during this pandemic.

ETA: The draft, won't be any players or fans at the draft or any bar draft parties. I'm picturing the NFL doing something similar to election night coverage; but instead of tracking candidates and votes, they are tracking teams and players, show a picture or highlight of a player that is drafted and discussing the drafted player.

They can also skip the combine, the voluntary mini-camp and shorten the preseason.

However, delaying and pushing the NFL season further into winter would probably result in the XFL having to shift its schedule to maintain their TV contracts.

Needalife
Legend
Legend

Postby Needalife » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:18 pm

so Curious how the NFL draft order is done if the season doesn’t happen.
14 TM / Devy / SuperFlex / TEP
1 Q / 2 RB / 2 WR / 1 TE / 1 SF / 3 F / 1 DT / 2 DE / 3 LB / 2 CB / 2 S / 1 F

QB: Jordan Love, Trevor Lawrence
RB: Zamir White, James Conner, Trey Benson, Jaylen Warren, Will Shipley
WR: Michael Pittman, Puka Nacua, Drake London, Christian Kirk, Josh Palmer
TE: Trey McBride, Jake Ferguson, Noah Gray
PK: Justin Tucker, Jason Myers
DT: Grover Stewart, Devonte Wyatt
DE: Alex Highsmith, Jonathan Cooper, Gregory Rousseau, Matt Judon, Baron Browning
LB: Fred Warner, Dre Greenlaw, Ernest Jones, Alex Anzalone, Jack Campbell
CB: L'Jarius Sneed, Deommodore Lenoir, Taron Johnson
S: Derwin James, Talanoa Hufanga, Kareem Jackson
DEVY: RB Nick Singleton PSU
2024 DEVY DEPLETED PICKS: 1.11, 1.13, 2.03, 2.05, 2.13, 3.01, 3.07, 3.10, 3.12, 4.03, 4.11, 4.15, 5.01, 5.02

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:41 pm

Needalife wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:18 pm so Curious how the NFL draft order is done if the season doesn’t happen.
Would have to be some kind of lottery/randomization

Wile E. Coyote
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Wile E. Coyote » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:34 am

NFL draft will indeed be work-at-home

The upcoming NFL draft will take place in a "fully virtual format", the league confirmed in a letter to teams on Monday, with personnel advised to stay at home amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The event is expected to look dramatically different from years past, with Goodell advising personnel across all 32 teams to stay at home.

The draft, scheduled to begin April 23, will take place "with club personnel in separate location and able to communicate with one another and draft headquarters by phone or internet," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said in the letter obtained by Reuters.

Full article: https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-draft-occu ... 25825.html

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:50 pm

I think the reality is, that if there is a season, there is almost no chance it's played in front of live crowds. That would be strange, especially playoffs and the SB. Eerie just to think about it.

Packerland
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Packerland » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:03 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:50 pm I think the reality is, that if there is a season, there is almost no chance it's played in front of live crowds. That would be strange, especially playoffs and the SB. Eerie just to think about it.
I think there will be a season but games with no crowds would be pretty sad. Guess this is the world we live in now though.
10 Team .5 PPR 1 QB League

QB: Goff, Brady, Herbert, Tannehill
RB: CEH, JT, Akers, Dobbins, Mixon
WR: Adams, Godwin, McLaurin, Lamb, Chark, Claypool, Pittman, Diontae, Anderson
TE: Andrews, Goedert

Picks:
2021: 4 1sts, 1 2nd
2022: 1 1st, 2 2nds