Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: The Most Over-Rated 2020 Rookie RB Is... Jonathan Taylor

Postby Hottoddies » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:45 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:22 pm
bjd5211 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:12 pm
Hottoddies wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:02 pm
Football is a team sport. We've certainly seen JAGs put up highly productive seasons in the NFL in ideal situations.
Not every season they've played though. Jonathan Taylor has 3 seasons of play and in those 3 seasons had 1,977/2,194/2,003 yards rushing in the #2 conference in college football.
Yeah, Taylor doesn't really enter into this conversation of a JAG. His production is basically unprecedented, as a 3 year college player. Combine that with a 99th percentile size adjusted speed score, and the idea he is a JAG ridiculous. There is really not any objective evidence to suggest Taylor is a JAG. The only thing people can hang their hat on to say that is watching TV.
I don't think Taylor is a JAG. I just wanted to point out that production doesn't necessarily prove talent. Taylor is incredibly athletic and highly productive. He checks all of the analytical boxes in spades. He's a analytical fan boy's wet dream. But I would like to suggest that the numbers don't tell the whole story and it is in the realm of possibility that Taylor may not be as skilled as other prospects in what it takes to succeed in the NFL as a RB.
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:48 pm

Hottoddies wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:45 pm

Not every season they've played though. Jonathan Taylor has 3 seasons of play and in those 3 seasons had 1,977/2,194/2,003 yards rushing in the #2 conference in college football.
Yeah, Taylor doesn't really enter into this conversation of a JAG. His production is basically unprecedented, as a 3 year college player. Combine that with a 99th percentile size adjusted speed score, and the idea he is a JAG ridiculous. There is really not any objective evidence to suggest Taylor is a JAG. The only thing people can hang their hat on to say that is watching TV.
I don't think Taylor is a JAG. I just wanted to point out that production doesn't necessarily prove talent. Taylor is incredibly athletic and highly productive. He checks all of the analytical boxes in spades. He's a analytical fan boy's wet dream. But I would like to suggest that the numbers don't tell the whole story and it is in the realm of possibility that Taylor may not be as skilled as other prospects in what it takes to succeed in the NFL as a RB.
Oh, I get it. I also get that the Wisconsin system has allowed guys that couldn't cut it at the next level to succeed. I just wanted to suggest that he succeeded more than those guys that couldn't in the NFL to a much larger degree in college, and that he has legit top end NFL speed, something none of those guys did.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:00 pm

Hottoddies wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:45 pm

Sustained production over a long period of time does though, and Taylor has had elite production over his entire college career in one of the premier conferences in CFB. It's not like Taylor just had one great year, all 3 years of his college career he has had a legitimate argument for being considered as the best RB in college football, and you aren't going to do that on situation and athleticism alone.

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:10 pm

I don’t see JT as near the runner AP was, as a prospect.

I see him as a better athlete, and a much better pass catcher though.
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Jonathan Taylor is your 1.01 now.

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:15 pm

Johnny B. Goode wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:20 am If Taylor is NOT the 1st RB off the board in the NFL draft, does he lose his 1.01 status solely on that?
I think if Taylor is not one of the top skill position players off the board, then people should at least reconsider.

There's a relevant chance that Taylor goes behind 2 RBs and 5-6 WRs. It would be hard to anoint him as the clear 1.01 if that happens. At some point, NFL scouting has to align to some degree with rookie drafts.

That's not to say that we need to draft in order of the NFL though, but there's potentially better value to be had on paper if someone takes Taylor at 1.01 and someone like Dobbins or Swift is available at 1.04-1.06.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:24 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:00 pm Sustained production over a long period of time does though, and Taylor has had elite production over his entire college career in one of the premier conferences in CFB. It's not like Taylor just had one great year, all 3 years of his college career he has had a legitimate argument for being considered as the best RB in college football, and you aren't going to do that on situation and athleticism alone.
I still think it's interesting though that despite this, Taylor is not mocked as highly as elite RBs with elite college production historically are.

I've said in a bunch of threads, but there seems to be a noticeable gap between what the dynasty community thinks of Taylor and what the NFL thinks. I think both sides think he's a good back, but only one side thinks he's a lot more than that, as the other side continues to put D'Andre Swift way ahead of him.

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:31 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:15 pm
Johnny B. Goode wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:20 am If Taylor is NOT the 1st RB off the board in the NFL draft, does he lose his 1.01 status solely on that?
I think if Taylor is not one of the top skill position players off the board, then people should at least reconsider.

There's a relevant chance that Taylor goes behind 2 RBs and 5-6 WRs. It would be hard to anoint him as the clear 1.01 if that happens. At some point, NFL scouting has to align to some degree with rookie drafts.

That's not to say that we need to draft in order of the NFL though, but there's potentially better value to be had on paper if someone takes Taylor at 1.01 and someone like Dobbins or Swift is available at 1.04-1.06.
Agreed. Draft capital isn't everything but it's aot and I rate it higher than most. we all love to crap on GMs for the big misses out there but in general they all know a lot more football than most of us.

If JT somehow falls to the mid of the 3rd and is the 4th of 5th RB off the board and also behind +10 wrs there is nonchznce he is my 1.1

Even if it wasnt that bad and he went mid 2nd behind swift and dobbins and maybe 4 wrs it would still be tough to put him as the 1.1
QB - DWatson(HOU)Minshew(JAX)Darnold(NYJ)
RB -NChubb(CLE)DHenry(TEN)JTaylor(IND)Gurley(ATL)
WR -DHopkins(ARI)ACooper(DAL)CGodwin(TB)OBJ(CLE)
TE - HHenry(SD)DGoeddart(PHI)
K - Zurlien(LAR)Crosby(GB)
Def - ARI DAL
[rookie] Haskins(WAS)DSwift(DET)Jefferson(MIN)MHardman(KC)
7th pick in 2021

Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players don't take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd-year players that were drafted

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:34 pm

He doesn't have to be the 1st RB taken to remain my 1.01, but if there is a drastic difference in draft capital/situation it could shift things.

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:35 pm

For what it's worth I'm not calling him a bust, I just don't think he's worth the top 2 spots in the rookie draft. I think JK Dobbins & D'Andre Swift are FAAAARRR superior. They are my 1A and 1B, landing spot will dictate which is which.

JT has the biggest learning curve. If he became an elite runner in 2021 I wouldn't be surprised at all.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:38 pm

dlf_mikeh wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:35 pm For what it's worth I'm not calling him a bust, I just don't think he's worth the top 2 spots in the rookie draft. I think JK Dobbins & D'Andre Swift are FAAAARRR superior. They are my 1A and 1B, landing spot will dictate which is which.

JT has the biggest learning curve. If he became an elite runner in 2021 I wouldn't be surprised at all.
I had a feeling you would like Dobbins, it's all in the hips!!

Packerland
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Packerland » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:39 pm

AussieMate wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:38 pm
dlf_mikeh wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:35 pm For what it's worth I'm not calling him a bust, I just don't think he's worth the top 2 spots in the rookie draft. I think JK Dobbins & D'Andre Swift are FAAAARRR superior. They are my 1A and 1B, landing spot will dictate which is which.

Thanks Chubbs.
10 Team .5 PPR 1 QB League

QB: Goff, Brady, Herbert, Tannehill
RB: CEH, JT, Akers, Dobbins, Mixon
WR: Adams, Godwin, McLaurin, Lamb, Chark, Claypool, Pittman, Diontae, Anderson
TE: Andrews, Goedert

Picks:
2021: 4 1sts, 1 2nd
2022: 1 1st, 2 2nds

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:40 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:35 pm
Packerland wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:33 pm
bjd5211 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:32 pm

I don't think it's that far-fetched. Taylor would have been considered are far better prospect if he were coming out about the same time in NFL history as AP did, and AP would not have been as highly regarded if he were entering the draft this year.
If Taylor turns out to be half of what AP became then please sign me up! AP is one of the most physically gifted RB's of all time.
And so is Taylor as a pure athlete as evidenced by his combine results.
Taylor and Peterson were both incredibly athletic and highly productive, but that's where the comparison ends. Peterson had much better foot work and burst. Not only did he check all of the analytical boxes, his skills showed up on film. But even as great as he was coming into the NFL, he still had to learn some of the finer nuances of being a great RB. I remember seeing a clip of Peterson working with his RB coach in the film room where the coach pointed out how he needed to have more patience behind the line of scrimmage and wait for his blocks to develop and when to turn on the juice.

Being a great RB is more than just "here take this rock and run hard and fast". I actually think RB skills are some of the most overlooked and under appreciated in the game of football. There are many finer nuances that go into being great and succeeding as a RB. This also makes it somewhat difficult analyze on film but a necessity to look beyond the numbers to get the whole picture.
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:50 pm

AussieMate wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:38 pm

I love Dobbins. If I was forced to pick at the 1.01 spot right now and I couldn't trade out, Dobbins would be my guy.

PS: Sorry Matt! :(
Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 6.59.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 6.59.00 PM.png (26.17 KiB) Viewed 391 times
EDIT: FWIW, I didn't call Taylor JAG. I said if he doesn't work on his skill then he will be JAG at the next level. He's an elite talent.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:58 pm

Ice wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:55 pm Like Taylor as the 4th RB in this class. Great college production expect he fumbles a lot. Looks like he will be good in power schemes but lacks the agility I like to see in zone schemes. Think he is scheme dependent. Doesn't play real quick but he can run by defenders. He doesn't make defenders miss very often due to one dimensional running style. I knock him down due to versatility and mileage.

I do get concerned with really high carry backs out of Wisconsin. Career length is a minor concern. Could easily be a 1 contract type player IMO.
Just quoting something I liked by a guy whose opinion I respect.

JT has the traits to be an elite runner based on combine numbers. Based on experience, however, he tells a far different story. Too many questions marks for me to pull the trigger on him unless he falls out of the top 6 or so.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs

REAL RB GURUs:

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:59 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:34 pm He doesn't have to be the 1st RB taken to remain my 1.01, but if there is a drastic difference in draft capital/situation it could shift things.
Let's say the draft unfolds like this:

1st Round: Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs, Jefferson, Swift (Miami), Mims
2nd Round: Reagor, Dobbins (Chargers), Taylor (Buffalo), Akers (Atlanta)

Is Taylor the 1.01? I see 3 RBs (Taylor, Swift, Dobbins) who are not that far apart from each other in talent, skill, or situation, and one in Akers who may actually be underrated.

Is drafting Taylor at the 1.01 really the best use of value?

If I have the 1.01 in a league and someone is convinced that Taylor is the clear cut guy, I'm going to trade down and commit robbery.