We've seen "elite route running" wr's fall short, why is jeudy different

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Ski mask ready
Starter
Starter

We've seen "elite route running" wr's fall short, why is jeudy different

Postby Ski mask ready » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:56 pm

Sammy watkins was supposed to be a can't miss WR.... Elite route runner with best hands.

A Cooper, elite route runner with good speed. Even is Dallas he's been hit and miss.

Why would taking Jeudy in the top 3 be any different??
Team 1: 12 Team PPR, IDP Dynasty 40 Man Roster"
https://www43.myfantasyleague.com/2023/ ... =07&F=0001

Team 2: 12 Team Salary/Contract, PPR, IDP Dynasty 40 Man Roster"

Team 3: 12 Team Salary/Contract, PPR, IDP Dynasty 40 Man Roster"

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: We've seen "elite route running" wr's fall short, why is jeudy different

Postby jcc6fd » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:23 pm

Your two examples are making me think the opposite. Watkins came in hot and had his production sapped by injuries. Cooper was a bit boom or bust while playing with Carr but has been a WR1 since moving to Dallas so I’m unsure what more you could expect.

I think factors other than their skill set contributed to their shortcomings, injury and QB play.

Not informing Jeudy, just saying if Watkins was his theoretical floor and Cooper was his ceiling that’s a pretty solid player
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

JoshGordonsDealer
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby JoshGordonsDealer » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:33 pm

In reality, we’ve seen busts from every mold of player. There’s no such thing as a sure thing — it’s difficult to predict how hard a player will work, how their coaching staff will develop them, what talent they’ll have around them, injuries, etc...

That said, the two players you listed as examples are hardly busts. Sure, people who took Sammy at 1.01-1.03 are disappointed and Cooper isn’t an elite, top-tier stud. But you’re happy with Cooper on your team and who knows what a healthy Sammy could have been.

Ultimately, I think Jeudy has a high floor as someone who runs routes well and has decent physical abilities. For the same reasons, I think he’s got a pretty high ceiling.

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:44 pm

JoshGordonsDealer wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:33 pm In reality, we’ve seen busts from every mold of player. There’s no such thing as a sure thing — it’s difficult to predict how hard a player will work, how their coaching staff will develop them, what talent they’ll have around them, injuries, etc...

That said, the two players you listed as examples are hardly busts. Sure, people who took Sammy at 1.01-1.03 are disappointed and Cooper isn’t an elite, top-tier stud. But you’re happy with Cooper on your team and who knows what a healthy Sammy could have been.

Ultimately, I think Jeudy has a high floor as someone who runs routes well and has decent physical abilities. For the same reasons, I think he’s got a pretty high ceiling.
x2 Watkins was primarily a bust purely off the fact that he couldn't stay healthy rather than that he couldn't play football, Cooper I'd definitely call a hit or at the very least a maintanence of value. Cooper at various points in his career has been worth as high as a first round startup and as low as a late first early second but I feel his average is definitely at least an early 1st. Also FWIW the biggest issue with Cooper coming out and still to this day is he can't beat press coverage.

djeternal2
Captain
Captain

Postby djeternal2 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:51 pm

jcc6fd wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:23 pm Your two examples are making me think the opposite. Watkins came in hot and had his production sapped by injuries. Cooper was a bit boom or bust while playing with Carr but has been a WR1 since moving to Dallas so I’m unsure what more you could expect.

I think factors other than their skill set contributed to their shortcomings, injury and QB play.

Not informing Jeudy, just saying if Watkins was his theoretical floor and Cooper was his ceiling that’s a pretty solid player
Yes Watkins was a bust due to injuries; but, Cooper while yes end of season stats he was a WR1 he was still boom or bust in Dallas. Frankly I think for the time being that is the new WR model in the NFL. Think of it who was really a week in, week out consistent WR last year? Michael Thomas. That's it. Yes some guys have higher ceilings which makes up the next tier. Guys like Julio, Nuk, Evans, etc but once you get past 10 or 12 guys the next 13 to 36 of them are pretty much interchangeable due to the boom/bust nature of the position nowadays with more teams having 3 or 4 WR on the field.
10 tm ppr 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 Flex, TE, K, TDEF (Yr 6)
QB - Ryan, Wentz
RB - Gurley, A Jones, Cohen, Kerryon, Dam Williams, Duke, I Smith, Armstead, T Carson
WR - AJG, Watkins, ARob, A. Cooper, K Allen, M Williams, Godwin, Callaway, JJAW
TE - Gesicki, I Smith, Herndon, Eifert, Sternberger, Dissly

10 tm TE prem 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, K, 2 DB, 2 DL, 2 LB (Yr 5)
QB - Mahomes, Mayfield, Wentz,
RB - Zeke, Chubb, Kerryon, Duke, Edmonds, B Hill
WR - Nuk, AJG, ARob, JJS, Samuel, MVS, T Smith, D Hamilton, Gallup, K Johnson
TE - Njoku, Eifert, Herndon, I Smith, I Thomas, Moreau
DL - Watt, K Clark, Q Williams
LB - D Jones, D Bush
DB - K Neal, Bell

DLF Early Birds - 16 tm SF (1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex, 1 SF
QB - A Rodgers, Darnold, Rosen, M Rudolph, Luck
RB - Damian Williams, J Howard, Duke, AP, Gore
WR - Julio, Golladay, Kirk, Stills, Manny Sanders, N Harry
TE - Jarwin, Gesicki, Boyle, Sprinkle

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:59 pm

If you're going to consistently bet against arguably the most important skill for WRs, then good luck.

Don't overthink Jerry Jeudy.

gunfrees
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby gunfrees » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:53 pm

How viable is it do just draft the receivers drafted in the first with a breakout age of 18 - 19?
12 team dynasty | SF | 1 ppr

QBs: Lamar Jackson, Deshaun Watson, Kirk Cousins
WRs: Deebo, Godwin, Mbrown, JDowns
RBs: Chubb, Gibbs, Achane, K. Miller
TE: Okonkwo, Mayer

2024 1.03, 1.09
2025 early 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, early 2nd, 2nd
2026 early 1st, 1st, early 2nd
----------

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:07 am

gunfrees wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:53 pm How viable is it do just draft the receivers drafted in the first with a breakout age of 18 - 19?
Plenty viable. It’s just a really limited pool.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:37 am

Was Watkins really regarded as an elite route runner? Idk, was before I really started paying attention. I thought Cooper and Davis were extremely good though, and yeah both have fallen short of what I had expected (to varying degrees).

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:08 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:37 am Was Watkins really regarded as an elite route runner? Idk, was before I really started paying attention. I thought Cooper and Davis were extremely good though, and yeah both have fallen short of what I had expected (to varying degrees).
Watkins was but he was also just viewed as an A+ prospect in pretty much every way so his route running wasn’t his selling point

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:16 am

Mjvb5 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:08 am
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:37 am Was Watkins really regarded as an elite route runner? Idk, was before I really started paying attention. I thought Cooper and Davis were extremely good though, and yeah both have fallen short of what I had expected (to varying degrees).
Watkins was but he was also just viewed as an A+ prospect in pretty much every way so his route running wasn’t his selling point
Yep, there really wasn't much he couldn't do. Very surprising that he hasn't been really good in the NFL. Injuries could've played a part. Intangibles may not have been as good as we believed.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:38 am

Ski mask ready wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:56 pm Sammy watkins was supposed to be a can't miss WR.... Elite route runner with best hands.

A Cooper, elite route runner with good speed. Even is Dallas he's been hit and miss.

The fear of drafting him based on your comments doesn't make much sense to me.

Cooper in 5 Years has 5097 yards for a 14.3 average and 33 TD's. He has played in a few systems. Thinking those are not good numbers is a mistake. Of course everyone wants better numbers on all players.

Watkins has had a career littered with injuries which equated to a full season over his career YTD but still averages 14.9 YPC. He hasn't been in the best of systems as the dominate WR1 especially given how good Tyreek turned out to be for KC the last couple of years.

WR's like any position all carry risk but this one has plenty of long term career upside. One could make claims about any WR as a rookie but Jeudy like both Cooper and Watkins are pretty low risk selections in the fantasy world.

Fantasy players at WR should be drafted on upside over time but if he ends up producing like Cooper I would consider that a win personally.

Jeudy has a ton of upside. His skill sets are pretty easy to see on tape. That said, he is still college player that has to transition to big boy football.

He will be a top 2 WR selection in most fantasy drafts I suspect.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:27 pm

Ski mask ready wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:56 pm Sammy watkins was supposed to be a can't miss WR.... Elite route runner with best hands.

The whole premise is flawed. Since Amari came into the league he’s put up the 11th most PPR points. If the premise is that this is a bad outcome then the question isn’t even worth answering.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:36 pm

jcc6fd wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:23 pm Your two examples are making me think the opposite. Watkins came in hot and had his production sapped by injuries. Cooper was a bit boom or bust while playing with Carr but has been a WR1 since moving to Dallas so I’m unsure what more you could expect.

He's still really hit and miss. His home/road splits are akin to Big Ben at QB.

@ OP- Watkins ran a 4.43, I believe, and Cooper ran a 4.42 in a year where there were problems with the testing times, as it appeared he actually ran faster than Kevin White, who was a 4.35. I think Watkins injuries derailed his career, and switching teams constantly is never good. He's also a bit of a head case, if you've ever read some of the things he's put out there.

Really need to see Jeudy run well to put him in comparison with Cooper, but if he does, I don't think there is much of an argument against him or any prospect, because they are good at something. If Jeudy can match Cooper's stats, that's pretty good, IMO. Guys like Julio don't come along more than once every generation or two. Nobody in this class on that level, but Jeudy should be a solid pro.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:59 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:27 pm

The whole premise is flawed. Since Amari came into the league he’s put up the 11th most PPR points. If the premise is that this is a bad outcome then the question isn’t even worth answering.
How is that even possible? He never even finished in the top 12 before last year. Were there really that many injuries to all the WRs better than him?
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0