J.K. Dobbins 1.01?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: J.K. Dobbins 1.01?

Postby Sriracha » Thu May 07, 2020 6:31 pm

PR0v3 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:27 pm
There has never been any indication that Taylor is as valued by the NFL as he is by fantasy players. Post-combine, but pre-draft, questioning his 1.01 status would bring out an army of defenders. People were comparing him to Zeke, Gurley, even Barkley. There really has never been any indication that the NFL, as a whole, viewed him as the top RB prospect though, at any point in time. I’m okay if some have him as the top back, but there is a disconnect when the vast majority view him as such. He was flat out overvalued, and still is by those sticking to that same lofty, pre-draft status.
We'll circle back here in 3 years to crown the true 1.01 of the 2020 Corona class.

Until then it's all a guessing game. I'm as high on JT as a prospect as there is out there (I like him more than Zeke for instance), but this is the best RB class since 2017 and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the clear 1.01 from this class is Dobbins, Akers, Swift instead of CEH or Jonathan Taylor.
FantasyFreak wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:30 pm That's not much of a concern if it's the only concern.
I agree
Last edited by Sriracha on Thu May 07, 2020 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ThunderTung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ThunderTung » Thu May 07, 2020 6:32 pm

IZigUZag wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:49 pm
Ice wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:37 pm It’s not always the player. Could be coaching or Sometimes a Haskins is simply going to beat out a Burrow.

Players develop at different rates. They get better often.
I'm not saying CEH is definitively less talented than the other 4.

I'm saying that he is a significantly riskier prospect than other 4 for reasons highlighted.

That was all before he was drafted by KC. KC is as close to a 1:1 situation that he excelled in last year so the chance he's not successful there is really low-- the only concern being that Damien Williams is a more talented RB (which is less of a concern given the 1st round draft capital + D-Will's age/inability to stay healthy and expiring contract).
Probably has to do with the fact that most of us that dont have a direct line to NFL front offices, or scout for living, really have no clue what were talking about. You saw the first RB off the board go to the perfect landing spot, obviously he is your RB1 now. If akers ended up going to KC at 32 he'd probably be your rb1 right now too. Draft capital tells us alot, and without it we're just blind following the blind
12 man IDP 0.5 ppr

QB(1): Geno Smith
RB(2): ETN/Walker III
WR(2): Chase/Lamb
TE(1): Goedert
FLEX(2): Stevenson/Garrett Wilson
K: Mcpherson
DL(2): T. Walker/Vea
LB(2): D. Long/TJ Edwards
DB(2) Dugger/Moehrig
FLEX: Kenneth Murray
IR: J. Hicks/Milano/Marcus Jones
Bench:
QB: Mac Jones/Bryce Young
RB: Zeke/D. Harris
WR: N. Brown/Demario Douglas/Bobby Trees/Parker/Tyler Scott
TE: Bellinger/Schultz
DL: Barrett/J. Davis/Yannick/
LB: Milano/Edwards/K. Murray/J. Smith
DB: Mathieu/Jonothan Owens

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Thu May 07, 2020 6:34 pm

You don't have to be Zeke, Gurley, Barkley to be the #1 pick, Jacobs certainly wasn't last year. It doesn't matter where he ranks among all-time RB prospects, it only matters where he ranks among the RB prospects in this years class, and he is clearly at or very near the top of those rankings.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Thu May 07, 2020 6:35 pm

Ice wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:21 pm CEH is the safest 1.1 we have seen in a while in fantasy football
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Thu May 07, 2020 6:39 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:35 pm
Ice wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:21 pm CEH is the safest 1.1 we have seen in a while in fantasy football
:clap: :clap: :clap:

PR0v3
Captain
Captain

Postby PR0v3 » Thu May 07, 2020 6:51 pm

IZigUZag wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:31 pm
PR0v3 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:27 pm
There has never been any indication that Taylor is as valued by the NFL as he is by fantasy players. Post-combine, but pre-draft, questioning his 1.01 status would bring out an army of defenders. People were comparing him to Zeke, Gurley, even Barkley. There really has never been any indication that the NFL, as a whole, viewed him as the top RB prospect though, at any point in time. I’m okay if some have him as the top back, but there is a disconnect when the vast majority view him as such. He was flat out overvalued, and still is by those sticking to that same lofty, pre-draft status.
We'll circle back here in 3 years to crown the true 1.01 of the 2020 Corona class.

Until then it's all a guessing game. I'm as high on JT as a prospect as there is out there (I like him more than Zeke for instance), but this is the best RB class since 2017 and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the clear 1.01 from this class is Dobbins, Akers, Swift instead of CEH or Jonathan Taylor.
FantasyFreak wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:30 pm That's not much of a concern if it's the only concern.
I agree
Meh. I think 2018 was clearly better. Had a clear #1, two other first round RBs, and four second rounders. Wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if this class turned out worse.
12 Team .5 PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB 20 man rosters, 5 man taxi est. 2018
QB: Dak, Pickett
RB: CMC, Taylor, Gibson, Dillon, Akers, Penny
WR: JJeff, Hollywood, Olave, Toney, Aiyuk, Jeudy, C. Davis, Boyd, C. Samuel,
TE: Njoku, Gesicki
2023 picks: 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu May 07, 2020 7:10 pm

Wow,

My little Troll and djeternal2 must have made a 6 on the Wonderlick. :dance:

Thought everyone knew:
What in a while means?

The Oxford English Dictionary says that the noun phrase “a while” means “a time, esp. a short or moderate time,” and that it's used chiefly with the prepositions “after,” “for,” and “in.” ... So the literal meaning of “in a while” is within the limits of a short or moderate time.

I can't even remember the last time I had a Haircut much less 2018... :D
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Thu May 07, 2020 7:17 pm

I wasn’t sure which awful take Ice would go with. Would he say that CEH is actually safer than Barkley, or that literally two drafts is “a while”? Either way, Ice resorting to name calling when he’s wrong is something you can set your watch by.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Thu May 07, 2020 9:19 pm

IZigUZag wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:29 pm
Zacsby wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:35 am I think a lot of us had a preconceived notion before the draft that CEH wasn't a 3 down back in the NFL. That notion was baked into most rankings. Some people are still holding onto that post draft. There is nothing about the way he plays that says he isn't as good as the other RBs. Having him slightly below JT, Dobbins, Swift and Akers was all about potential/projected usage in the NFL for me. You can rag on ESPN all you want, they had him as the #1 RB and he was the first RB selected.
His body of work is not as strong as the other 4 RBs; CEH did nothing, nadda his freshman year. He was behind Nick (F***ING) Brossette his second year; and wasn't impressive at all during that time at LSU-- many people didn't even think he'd be LSU's starter his junior year. His breakout happened to coincide with being the lead back on the best offense in College football history; with defenses prioritizing stopping Joe Burrow and 2 WRs that will very likely be 1st round selections in Justin Jefferson and J'mar Chase.

He was phenomenal this year, no one can dispute that; but how much of that is him being an inherently talented player and how much of it was defenses being forced to play on their heels stopping the best passing offense in NCAAF history?

Meanwhile; JT is rushing for 2k total yards for 3 straight years as the sole priority for opposing defenses. Akers is rushing for 1k yards as the sole priority for opposing defenses as a true freshman. Dobbins is the most productive RB in OSU's illustrious history. Swift is dominating under his limited touches.

CEH could be all that and a bag of chips; but he was a considerably riskier prospect before he landed on KC.
I'm not sure why this discussion is happening in a Dobbins thread, but here we go:

OK, so as a freshman CEH was unable to beat out Derrius Guice for any playing time and, in the following year, for some reason the LSU coach decided to give twice as many carries to the experienced senior RB than the inexperienced sophomore RB. However, as a sophomore, CEH still managed to rush for more yards than Josh Jacobs did as a junior in the same conference. The same Josh Jacobs who was the first RB drafted in the NFL last year. And this year, despite whatever all the amateur experts around here thought, Andy Reid, who kind of does this football thing for real money, with all the options available to him thought that CEH was the best man for the job. And that, my friend, is good enough for me.

However, CEH's greatness shouldn't really take away any of Taylor's. There's plenty of room at the top for both of them. And since this is in a Dobbins' thread we should really throw him in there as well.
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Thu May 07, 2020 9:32 pm

Hottoddies wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:19 pm
IZigUZag wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:29 pm
Zacsby wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:35 am I think a lot of us had a preconceived notion before the draft that CEH wasn't a 3 down back in the NFL. That notion was baked into most rankings. Some people are still holding onto that post draft. There is nothing about the way he plays that says he isn't as good as the other RBs. Having him slightly below JT, Dobbins, Swift and Akers was all about potential/projected usage in the NFL for me. You can rag on ESPN all you want, they had him as the #1 RB and he was the first RB selected.
His body of work is not as strong as the other 4 RBs; CEH did nothing, nadda his freshman year. He was behind Nick (F***ING) Brossette his second year; and wasn't impressive at all during that time at LSU-- many people didn't even think he'd be LSU's starter his junior year. His breakout happened to coincide with being the lead back on the best offense in College football history; with defenses prioritizing stopping Joe Burrow and 2 WRs that will very likely be 1st round selections in Justin Jefferson and J'mar Chase.

He was phenomenal this year, no one can dispute that; but how much of that is him being an inherently talented player and how much of it was defenses being forced to play on their heels stopping the best passing offense in NCAAF history?

Meanwhile; JT is rushing for 2k total yards for 3 straight years as the sole priority for opposing defenses. Akers is rushing for 1k yards as the sole priority for opposing defenses as a true freshman. Dobbins is the most productive RB in OSU's illustrious history. Swift is dominating under his limited touches.

CEH could be all that and a bag of chips; but he was a considerably riskier prospect before he landed on KC.
I'm not sure why this discussion is happening in a Dobbins thread, but here we go:

OK, so as a freshman CEH was unable to beat out Derrius Guice for any playing time and, in the following year, for some reason the LSU coach decided to give twice as many carries to the experienced senior RB than the inexperienced sophomore RB. However, as a sophomore, CEH still managed to rush for more yards than Josh Jacobs did as a junior in the same conference. The same Josh Jacobs who was the first RB drafted in the NFL last year. And this year, despite whatever all the amateur experts around here thought, Andy Reid, who kind of does this football thing for real money, with all the options available to him thought that CEH was the best man for the job. And that, my friend, is good enough for me.

However, CEH's greatness shouldn't really take away any of Taylor's. There's plenty of room at the top for both of them. And since this is in a Dobbins' thread we should really throw him in there as well.
He couldnt beat out Darrell Williams in his freshman year, either; and it’s not like there were no upperclassmen RBs at Wisconsin, OSU, Georgia, or FSU.

You can make excuses for the lack of production CEH had his first two years all you want; Im not arguing that those excuses are wrong, per se; More that the reason behind him sitting behind these JAGs is unknown, and that should add a data point of ambiguity when assessing his talent that the other 4 simply do not have.

Really all academic, though; since despite all of this the mesh of CEH’s skills and Landing spot make even his biggest doubters drop him to the 1.02 at worst.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu May 07, 2020 9:59 pm

Hey so about that Dobbins guy...

PR0v3
Captain
Captain

Postby PR0v3 » Thu May 07, 2020 10:09 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:59 pm Hey so about that Dobbins guy...
My RB5 for this class. Fifth RB off the board and probably the least likely to see a major increase in value this year of any of the top 5 backs, I'll probably pass for Lamb/Jeudy at 1.05 if Dobbins is my only RB option.
12 Team .5 PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB 20 man rosters, 5 man taxi est. 2018
QB: Dak, Pickett
RB: CMC, Taylor, Gibson, Dillon, Akers, Penny
WR: JJeff, Hollywood, Olave, Toney, Aiyuk, Jeudy, C. Davis, Boyd, C. Samuel,
TE: Njoku, Gesicki
2023 picks: 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu May 07, 2020 10:33 pm

PR0v3 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:09 pm
My RB5 for this class. Fifth RB off the board and probably the least likely to see a major increase in value this year of any of the top 5 backs, I'll probably pass for Lamb/Jeudy at 1.05 if Dobbins is my only RB option.
That's how I feel about Akers.

Zacsby
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Zacsby » Fri May 08, 2020 4:25 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:33 am
Ice wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:53 am

I blame ESPN. He is their #1 RB.

He is very good at a lot of things but very good is not elite. Like his vision and he does have a nice jump cut with plenty of wiggle. He is a mix of Sproles and MJD on tape IMO so I see him as a 1st round dynasty rookie pick but not top 6 overall in rookie drafts.
Yeah, and MJD and Sproles were quite a bit faster. I like CEH, but having him as the RB 1 is absurd, and shows they know little, IMO. I think Bucky Brooks is propping him up too, but Bucky also had Riley Ridley as a first round WR at the end of February last year, so.........
Hottoddies wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:19 pm I'm not sure why this discussion is happening in a Dobbins thread, but here we go:
I was responding to the top dialogue. I'm a simple minded guy, not a mod. I see comment, I reply. All these 1.01 threads are the same anyway (in fairness to FF, I believe this was the 1st one and not the 6th lol). When making a case for someone as the 1.01, it is prudent to make cases for other players to see how they stack up against each other.

Dobbins is firmly my 1.03. That's from a Ravens fan who loved him predraft.
12 Team SF IDP
QB - Mahomes, Lawrence, Mac
RB - Etienne, Walker, Rhamondre, Javonte, Akers, CEH
WR - AJB, Waddle, Higgins, Gabe, Toney
TE - Andrews, ISJ
DL - Quinnen, Highsmith, Josh Allen
LB - Lloyd, JOK, Gay, Bush
DB - Winfield, Love, Delpit

14 Team 1QB IDP
QB - Fields, Jimmy G
RB - Henry, Kamara, Swift, Herbert
WR - Adams, Juju, Jakobi, Theilen
TE - Hock, Everett
DL - Garrett, Buckner, Sweat
LB - White, David, Okereke, Jack
DB - Budda, CJGJ, Dugger, Byard

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Fri May 08, 2020 4:53 am

Dobbins.... We don’t need no stinking Dobbins

Oh that Dobbins; He is a Beast in a beastly class of Rb’s.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts