J.K. Dobbins 1.01?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
gogobradyarm
All Pro
All Pro

Re: J.K. Dobbins 1.01?

Postby gogobradyarm » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:06 pm

Can someone explain to me why Dobbins ranking is 35 overall and 66(!) in October ADP? Am the only one that doesn't understand how a 22 year old RB (albeit out for the season) has such low perceived value?

Looking back, Dobbins was my 1.01 talent wise in the 2020 draft class. I envisioned a huge year 2 (making a career arc, similar to Ray Rice), but he blew out his knee. That said, he has all the talent to make a huge return, and I would expect his ranking/ADP would rise significantly (somewhere to top 15-20 overall). That makes me almost question, why does rank even react to the injury given his age and likeliness to valut to RB1 performance once healthy? I love the talent, was sad to trade him for Dobbins, who I am not as high on (was part of a package deal).
12 Team - PPR - 30man (2 IR) - 6pt PPTD- 1 QB - 2 RB - 2 WR - 1 Flex - 1 TE
QB: Jalen Hurts, Dak Prescott, Anthony Richardson, Aidan O'Connell
RB: McCaffrey, Jacobs, Barkley, Zamir White, Jaleel McLaughlin, Dowdle, Zach Evans, Dobbins
WR: AJB, London, Aiyuk, Diontae Johnson, Rashee Rice, Ridley, McLaurin, Dotson, Rashod Bateman
TE: Mandrews, Pitts, Likely, Otton

2024: 1.01, 1.07
2025: 3x 1st
Champ: 2020, 2021
Year 9 of my league

timeEd32
Role Player
Role Player

Postby timeEd32 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:28 pm

He got hurt

He’s going to be in a committee

He’s unlikely to see a lot of targets

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:34 pm

timeEd32 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:28 pm He got hurt

A committee with Lamar and maybe Gus. He's probably a good buy if he's burning a contenders roster spot. I believe in the talent, but he's capped on rushing with Lamar and who knows how many Receptions he would command... The RB right now aren't getting targets, but that's moreso about the RB than the offense. I'd think Dobbins would open up an easy dump off option for Lamar

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:58 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:34 pm

A committee with Lamar and maybe Gus. He's probably a good buy if he's burning a contenders roster spot. I believe in the talent, but he's capped on rushing with Lamar and who knows how many Receptions he would command... The RB right now aren't getting targets, but that's moreso about the RB than the offense. I'd think Dobbins would open up an easy dump off option for Lamar
Yeah, they were working him in the passing game in camp quite a bit, if I recall, and the pre-season they did in the little that he played. He won't get peppered, but I think it will be more than some thing. The "committee" thing is so overblown, and really doesn't even hold much meaning anymore. Every team runs some sort of committee, and the ones that don't, the RB ends up hurt. See Barkley, CMC. Dobbins was super efficient with his touches, and fits perfectly with what Lamar does well, and that's partly why. He can hit the edge so quickly on those read options sweeps, and with Lamar holding guys for just a split second, it's super effective. Dobbins is a really talented player, and if you look at the back half of his rookie year, he was probably in line for a 1200-1300 yard season with double digit rushing TD's this year, had he not been hurt.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:01 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:58 pm
Jigga94 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:34 pm

Yeah, they were working him in the passing game in camp quite a bit, if I recall, and the pre-season they did in the little that he played. He won't get peppered, but I think it will be more than some thing. The "committee" thing is so overblown, and really doesn't even hold much meaning anymore. Every team runs some sort of committee, and the ones that don't, the RB ends up hurt. See Barkley, CMC. Dobbins was super efficient with his touches, and fits perfectly with what Lamar does well, and that's partly why. He can hit the edge so quickly on those read options sweeps, and with Lamar holding guys for just a split second, it's super effective. Dobbins is a really talented player, and if you look at the back half of his rookie year, he was probably in line for a 1200-1300 yard season with double digit rushing TD's this year, had he not been hurt.
Really making me wish we had a RB with half the talent of Dobbins starting right now. Injuries suck

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:14 am

Jigga94 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:01 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:58 pm The "committee" thing is so overblown, and really doesn't even hold much meaning anymore. Every team runs some sort of committee, and the ones that don't, the RB ends up hurt.
Really making me wish we had a RB with half the talent of Dobbins starting right now. Injuries suck
This, plus what FF said. He was averaging over 6 yards a carry last year and looked -extremely- explosive in the few preseason snaps he saw. The beat were singing his praises this year too - I recall one of them (maybe Hensley?) saying that if he played fantasy, he'd pick Dobbins. (The usual hype, but we saw it... he looked in ridiculous shape)

RB committees are everywhere. Prioritising the player of the two that can give you ceiling weeks as a game breaker is the play in modern fantasy. Dobbins is that player on the Ravens, and we are already re-evaluating them as being a super-power offense in 2021, now that Lamar is showing his arm off. I think he's coming back with a vengeance next year.

timeEd32
Role Player
Role Player

Postby timeEd32 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:42 am

Don’t get me wrong, I like Dobbins and I think he’s a great guy to acquire at his current price. I was just commenting on why his value is where it is.

While I agree the committee thing can be overblown, it does matter if you’re not getting passing down / two minute work. It’s why even pre injury he should have never been ranked higher than someone like Swift.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:15 am

timeEd32 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:42 am Don’t get me wrong, I like Dobbins and I think he’s a great guy to acquire at his current price. I was just commenting on why his value is where it is.

While I agree the committee thing can be overblown, it does matter if you’re not getting passing down / two minute work. It’s why even pre injury he should have never been ranked higher than someone like Swift.
I believe Dobbins was set to be their 3rd down back this year.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:42 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:15 am
timeEd32 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:42 am Don’t get me wrong, I like Dobbins and I think he’s a great guy to acquire at his current price. I was just commenting on why his value is where it is.

I believe Dobbins was set to be their 3rd down back this year.
He was.

And while Lamar will never be a checkdown king, BAL RBs have been getting a respectable 4 targets a game this year

dipANDglide
All Pro
All Pro

Postby dipANDglide » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:00 pm

Sad times seeing him on IR. He was set up for a monster year

Mike11
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mike11 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:33 pm

I just bought him in a league. I'm looking at how BAL is using the RBs more in the passing game and how Lamar is evolving and I want a piece for next year. I think he has a top 6/8 ceiling and with his age if he comes out the gate hot could be set to exceed that. There's a lot of good RBs that are aging out so outside of JT, Swift, Harris and probably CMC/Barkley he could get right in there with them next season.
League Established in 2014

2015 League Champion
2017 League Champion
2018 League Champion
2022 League Champion

10 Team 20 Keeper League Non ppr

Starters in Bold

QB Justin Herbert, Lamar Jackson Aaron Rodgers, Russel Wilson
RB Chubb, JT Javonte Williams, De’Von Achane
Flex Ekeler, Etienne
WR AJB, Stefon Diggs, Jaylen Waddle Mike Williams, Treylon Burks, Amari Rodgers, Nico Collins, Diontae Johnson, Mingo, Burks, Tillman, Batemen
TE TJ Hockenson Higbee Hurst

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:46 pm

Mike11 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:33 pm I just bought him in a league. I'm looking at how BAL is using the RBs more in the passing game and how Lamar is evolving and I want a piece for next year. I think he has a top 6/8 ceiling and with his age if he comes out the gate hot could be set to exceed that. There's a lot of good RBs that are aging out so outside of JT, Swift, Harris and probably CMC/Barkley he could get right in there with them next season.
You are a wise man that can read the writing on the wall.

If I didn't already have him I'd be doing the same thing. He's a perfect acquisition for teams planning for 2022.

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:47 pm

He is such a "jack of all trades" but he is more than just a jack, he is pretty damn near to elite all around IMO, athletic freak, tough runner, great in space, can catch well, fast as heck, iirc he is excellent at blocking. I dont think he really has any weaknesses, but nothing is quite top of class except for possibly blocking. JT best rusher/athlete, swift best out of the backfield, CEH allegedly best route runner (could also be swift here). But I'd say he is just about second best at everything
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

tominansky
Role Player
Role Player

Postby tominansky » Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:15 pm

mild wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:46 pm
Mike11 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:33 pm I just bought him in a league. I'm looking at how BAL is using the RBs more in the passing game and how Lamar is evolving and I want a piece for next year. I think he has a top 6/8 ceiling and with his age if he comes out the gate hot could be set to exceed that. There's a lot of good RBs that are aging out so outside of JT, Swift, Harris and probably CMC/Barkley he could get right in there with them next season.
You are a wise man that can read the writing on the wall.

If I didn't already have him I'd be doing the same thing. He's a perfect acquisition for teams planning for 2022.
Was so close to selling as a contender for someone usable this year. Held off because of the talent I saw last year and at OSU. Sitting at 8-2 and rolling, looking at the first round bye. Giddy at the fact that we’ve got reinforcements coming in hot in ‘22. You can’t deny the eye test on this guy. The guy below commented on JK being 2nd best at basically everything. Agree, except for balance. This guy has Kamara level balance IMO.
Team 1:
12 team, 0.5ppr, 28 roster, SF, 1pt for 1st downs
QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/Flex/Flex/SF/D

QB: Lamar, Geno, Huntley, Flacco, DTR
RB: Walker, Aaron Jones, Ford, Patterson, Spiller
WR: Aiyuk, DK, Puka, Doubs, Dotson, Renfrow, D. Douglas
TE: Kincaid, Thomas

2024: 2.11, 3.07, 3.09, 4.07
2025: 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th
2026: 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th

Team 2:
12 team, 0.5ppr, 23 roster, SF
QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/Flex/Flex/SF

QB: Dak, Stafford, Rodgers, AOC, Dobbs
RB: CMC, JT, Ekeler, Kamara, A. Jones, Spears, Miller
WR: Tyreek, AJB, Allen, DK, Ridley, Palmer, Bourne, D. Robinson, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, Turner

2025 2nd, 3rd
2026 1st, 2x 2nd, 2x 3rd

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:37 am

The one thing to remember, next year may be tough. Players typically take 18 months to FULLY recover from ACL injuries due to hamstring recovery/weakness.
See dalvin cook sophomore year