Postby Phaded » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:39 am

You're welcome.

#NyquilTheory

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: N'Keal Harry will bust

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:32 am

There's been some Allen Robinson comparisons to him. What do you see in him?

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:49 am

I think that Allen Robinson is an overly optimistic comparison; I understand that people want to be optimistic and assume the best but as we all know it often does not work out that way.

Something that really caught my attention was when some NFL scouts comped him to both Laquon Treadwell & Devin Funchess. This caught my eye as I initially thought "no way, he is a much better athlete than these guys". He is a much better athlete, on paper and at the combine. However, now that I have gone and watched some N'Keal Harry tape; I can see how those scouts came up with that comparison. That is a massive red flag. I even went and watched some Laquon Treadwell college tape to compare, the similarities are eerie.

This is also a guy in the pre-draft process; this community is anointing as the 1.01 or a contender for it; much like Laquon Treadwell. If anyone has been here for a while, I was basically arguing to death with people to NOT draft Laquon Treadwell because he would bust. I eventually gave up because people were convinced Treadwell was great and that the Vikings were a great landing spots.

N'Keal Harry plays slower than he tests. When I watch his tape, I do not see a guy who tested the way he did at the combine. He looks very raw, lacks precision and quite frankly is not very fluid. He looks kind of "clunky". Also for me, the biggest potential red flag is the fact that he cannot separate.

Is he great at contested catches at the college level? Sure. However, I think we all know the quality of college defensive coverage in comparison to the NFL. In the NFL, those balls are going to get batted down, picked and even scarier, if he cannot get open in college how is he going to get open in the NFL?

Now; if this was the NFL from 10-15 years ago, I would feel more comfortable with Harry as a prospect. However, the NFL has changed dramatically. There has been a trend toward the guys who can get open and provide a better window for their quarterbacks to throw to. Harry is the type of receiver that is a dying breed in the NFL today.

Now this is not to say that Harry cannot develop; any player can.
Once again, this community likes him for first overall - the NFL community has him around the 6th/7th WR and a late day 2 pick (3rd round).

Harry could get some value IF he lands with a quarterback who is great with tight windows and pinpoint accuracy; but most quarterbacks in the NFL today are not like that.

I'm basically planting my flag at this point.

I don't see a big ceiling here and I also see a terrifyingly low floor.

This also saddens me because he is from Toronto (I am Canadian) and I would love to see him succeed.

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:59 am

I am listening.... I also felt he left a lot to be desired when watching late night Pac 12 games. The whole time I would watch and wonder why he is not dominating, and then boom he would make a crazy catch. I, too, hated Treadwell and was especially lauded once he landed here locally. I stuck to my guns and even bet people Boyd is better and would have a better career (on here too). Now the Boyd thing looked like a wash at best before last year, but I was surprised to see Harry as a lot of 1.01s.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:06 am

Not sure he will be a bust but not drafting him due to game speed on film. Looks like an 800 yard type with 8 TD’s or so which is decent but not what I project as a top 5 WR in this draft.

He needs an accurate fearless QB as the windows will be extremely tight.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:08 am

This is the first time I've ever seen a thread where all the points by the OP are made in the third post.

Nice.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:10 am

At least I did come back to explain myself unlike the original Nyquil post.
(I am only assuming that people that have been here a while will understand the reference)

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:40 am

Harry checks the breakout age and dominator rating boxes, and those are both are pretty good metrics for pro success, so be careful dismissing him.

My opinion: if Harry can lean on his catch-radius and contested ability, and his QB trusts that ability enough to target Harry even if he doesn't have much separation, then he can become a great fantasy asset. If not, I suspect he'll be a journeyman in the NFL.

I do feel confident he has the traits to be a pro for a long time, just not in what capacity.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:47 am

The problem with film as usual is it’s incredibly subjective. Everyone sees different things. What isn’t subjective is Harry’s dominant college production, elite breakout age, and plus athleticism to go along with it. Something Treadwell didn’t have. Funchess actually did have some strong metrics as well but also ran a 4.7 40 which is atrocious. Harry’s athleticism also shows on the field, go watch his punt return for a TD. Funchess and Treadwell could never do that.

Harry could easily bust as most rookies do, but he is not Treadwell and Funchess. He is much more aligned with ARob, Dez, Juju types.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:59 am

Jason3123 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:47 am Harry’s athleticism also shows on the field, go watch his punt return for a TD. Funchess and Treadwell could never do that.
I did see that punt return TD; and all I thought to myself was "damn he looks slow". It looked more like horrendous special teams play than anything, something that again - will not happen to that level at the NFL (just like college defense, for lack of better words is typically pretty poor).

On the flip side, this "unathletic" WR returned punts in the NFL and looks far more explosive than Harry; who is allegedly more athletic based on testing.

This is a great example of combine testing vs game speed.
Last edited by Phaded on Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:01 am

Next up; C. Patterson comps! 😁
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:04 am

Phaded wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:59 am
Jason3123 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:47 am Harry’s athleticism also shows on the field, go watch his punt return for a TD. Funchess and Treadwell could never do that.
I did see that punt return TD; and all I thought to myself was "damn he looks slow". It looked more like horrendous special teams play than anything, something that again - will not happen to that level at the NFL (just like college defense, for lack of better words is typically pretty poor).

On the flip side, this "unathletic" WR returned punts in the NFL and looks far more explosive than Harry; who is allegedly more athletic based on testing.

This is a great example of combine testing vs game speed.
Hmm. Different perspectives then. Looks plenty fast to me.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:06 am

Phaded wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:10 am At least I did come back to explain myself unlike the original Nyquil post.
(I am only assuming that people that have been here a while will understand the reference)
Get Brian Quick NOW! :lol:
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:12 am

Wasn't NKeal Harry the darling of many in 2017 and 2018? I remember seeing his name a lot back then and how awesome the 2019 class would be...

Hmmm....

tresskid84
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby tresskid84 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:23 am

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:12 am Wasn't NKeal Harry the darling of many in 2017 and 2018? I remember seeing his name a lot back then and how awesome the 2019 class would be...

Hmmm....
Lol, trading for 2019 picks was once quite tough, lol.
2021-Orphan Rebuild, 12tm PPR, SF, 1.75 TE Prem
2 SF, 8 Flex

QB: Mayfield, Z Wilson, D Jones, Heinicke, Rudolph, Foles
RB: Herbert, Felton, Evans, Nwangwu, Calais
WR: D Smith, Waddle, Chark, J Palmer, D P-J, Raymond, Washington, Jauan, Darden, Fehoko, Smith-Marsette, C Johnson, Proche, Shi Smith, A Tate, ESB, JJAW
TE: O'Shaughnessy, Moreau, Granson, Tyree J, Hu Bryant, Hopkins, Fortson
2022 Picks: 1.01, 1.04, 1.11, 2.01, 2.09, and 3.02
2023 Picks: six 1sts, my 2nd

2021-Orphan Rebuild, 16tm PPR, SF, 1.5pr TE, DEVY:
1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 SF, 3 Flex
Draft is rookies and devy (only 2022 NFL eligible)

QB: Tua, Fields, Brissett, Foles, Purdy(D), T Morgan(D)
RB: Etienne, Gainwell, Homer, T Jones, J Hill, Ragas, Sargent, Calais, Funk,
WR: Cephus, Nico, J Palmer, Gage, Quez, P Williams, JJAW, Strachan, Proche, Lil'Jordan, Shi Smith, Fryfogle(D)
TE: Moreau, Maxx, H Long, RSJ, Tyree J
2022 Picks: 1.02, 2.02, 2.12, 3.02, 3.07, 3.10, 3.11, 3.12, 3.15, 4.01, 4.02, 4.05, 4.07, 4.12, 4.15