Do you find trading up worth it

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
MucBuc
Captain
Captain

Re: Do you find trading up worth it

Postby MucBuc » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:17 am

I rarely trade up and so far did not find it worth it. By trading up very high, you basically force yourself to draft one of the "consensus" top guys, whether you really like him or still have doubts. I prefer to pick a little later, pick a player I really like who slipped through the cracks, and it often worked out well over the years.

Whenever I had a top-4 pick and picked a "consensus" player, I had more of bad luck.
3x teams in 32-team standard PPR + IDP leagues

It doesn't matter what we want. Once we get it, we want something else.

esloan35
All Pro
All Pro

Postby esloan35 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:30 am

I just traded up from 1.7 to 1.3. I also have 1.1 and think the top 5 in this draft have elite potential. Looked like this:

Gave Butler, Ian Thomas, Penny and 1.7
for 1.3, 4.1 and Golden Tate.

If I land Swift, Taylor, Lamb, 2 of these 3 I will be happy.

sjcourtney56
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby sjcourtney56 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:45 am

ArrylT wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:05 pm I rarely regret trading up because it usually ensures I can draft the player I want - piece of mind is worth more than many think. :)
I feel the same way, I have no problem trading up for a guy I like and I have no problem with drafting a player earlier than the consensus ADP. I would rather take shots and go down swinging with players that I like and invested time researching.
Team:
QB = Matt Ryan, Cam Newton, Andy Dalton
RB = Todd Gurley, Dalvin Cook, Alvin Kamara, Kareem Hunt, James Robinson Lemical Perine
WR = Michael Thomas, Stefon Diggs, Mike Evans, JuJu Smith-Schuster, AJ Brown, CeeDee Lamb, N'Keal Harry, Sammy Watkins,
TE = OJ Howard, Mark Andrews, Ian Thomas, Eric Ebron

Walter W.
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Walter W. » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:06 pm

I guess I feel the same as several others here. If I really like a player, I'll move up if I need to. I'd rather spend a little and have that dude on my team than wait and watch someone snatch him up. What I LOVE to do is trade down when I can, and my league tends to undervalue future picks. So I'll do a deal and get something thrown in for two years from now. I have the 1.01 this year from precisely that kind of trade.
The One Who Knocks
12 team league, 27 man rosters (more during the offseason), 7 man Practice Squad. Standard league with big play scoring for IDPs.

QB: L. Jackson, K. Mond, K. Murray, A. Richardson, D. Thompson-Robinson
RB: L. Bellamy, Z. Charbonnet, N. Chubb, N. Harris, K. Hunt, K. Ingram, C. Edwards-Helaire, J. Mixon, D. Vaughn, J. Warren, K. Williams
WR: C. Austin, O. Beckham, A. Cooper, C. Davis, J. Downs, M. Goodwin, N. Harry, J. Jefferson, J. Jeudy, T. Johnson, M. Jones, A. Lazard, M. Mims, S. Moore, R. Rice, J. Smith-Schuster, J. Washington, A. Wesley, N. Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: N. Fant, H. Henry, K. Pitts, D. Washington
K: Z. Gonzalez, R. Gould, B. McManus
DL: J. Hughes, T. Wilson
LB: D. Harris, J. Houston, S. Leonard
DB: E. Forbes, A. Robertson

2024 picks: 1, 1, 3, 5, 5, 6, 7
2025 picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:03 am

I typically take shots at QB and TE with later round picks .. If I am weak at those positions I don't trade up and take my shots .. If I have a good QB and TE group, I will typically try to package later round picks to move around in the 1st .. I typically will take shots at good players on good offensive teams and try to get in a position to do so .. If I try to move up to the top (like top 3), I am after what I think will be a stud RB. (last 2 I aimed for were CMC and Chubb, both I felt obtainable with the questions mark they had). So while I never really try for #1 overall (ala Zeke, et al - cost just too high) .. I try to get into the top 3 for the one that is questionable.

I will also take shots with weaker offensive teams if I feel the rookie has a clear path to relevancy early in his career .. but I much prefer solid offensive teams and coaches. I know situation changes and we often preach take the more talented player, but I feel development pays off much quicker with good schemes.
@PlankMelody