Patrick Mahomes: The Best QB in the NFL & for Dynasty

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Re: Patrick Mahomes: Natural regression

Postby bjd5211 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:27 am

Was never betting on him to throw for 50 again, but won't be surprised me at all if he does. This injury changes nothing as far as his dynasty value, he's still easily the #1 QB.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:26 pm

Well the good news is it looks like surgery will be able to be put off until the off season. The bad news is his knee cap can more easily come out again, and he'll be less than 100 percent the rest of the year. Personally, I think they should hold him out until after their bye if they can, and have him return week 13.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Packerland
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Mahomes Value in 1 QB League

Postby Packerland » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:51 pm

Having a debate with a friend and need some input:

Would you give up a top 5 WR or a top 5 RB for Mahomes in a 1 QB league?
I told him I wouldn't give up the following players straight up for Pat:

RB:
Saquon
Zeke
Kamara
McCaffrey
Cook

WR: Hopkins, Julio, OBJ, Mike Thomas, Adams, etc.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Packerland on Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10 Team .5 PPR 1 QB League

QB: Goff, Brady, Herbert, Tannehill
RB: CEH, JT, Akers, Dobbins, Mixon
WR: Adams, Godwin, McLaurin, Lamb, Chark, Claypool, Pittman, Diontae, Anderson
TE: Andrews, Goedert

Picks:
2021: 4 1sts, 1 2nd
2022: 1 1st, 2 2nds

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:27 pm

I'm a Raiders fan, so obviously my feelings about the Chiefs are clear.

Mahomes is fun to watch though, and a dislocated kneecap has the potential to derail an entire career.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Mahommes Value in 1 QB League

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:40 pm

I didn't realize he was French.

and, no I wouldn't trade those players for him.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Mahomes Value in 1 QB League

Postby abloom » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:58 pm

Hells no. Most I would give up for mahommes would be a mid 2nd in a 12 team, 1 QB league. So whoever is valued there.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

grandmabetty
Captain
Captain

Postby grandmabetty » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:09 pm

H to the E to the L to the L NO my friend. Mahomes is my QB1 in Dynasty by a good margin for me. half a bad season marred with injury doesn't have me panicked like others. he is a stud, but in a 1 QB league that's only worth so much. i would say any top 15 RB or WR is off limits in a deal like that

ausmith26
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ausmith26 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:29 pm

I probably wouldn't move a top 5 2020 draft pick for him, much less a top 5 RB or WR... I would consider his value right around a mid 1st but some people just value QBs a lot more than others.
12 Team-1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 1 PK 1 D/ST (30 man offseason rosters. Cut to 20 by week 1 / 0.5 PPR)

2023 2nd Place

QB: P. Mahomes
RB: Bij. Robinson, K. Williams, N. Chubb, D. Henry, A. Kamara, A. Gibson, C. Edwards-Helaire, L. Fournette
WR: J. Chase, C. Ridley, D. Hopkins, M. Evans, B. Cooks, Z. Jones, T. Atwell, C. Austin III
TE: M. Andrews, G. Kittle, C. Otton
PK: J. Tucker
D/ST: Streaming

Taxi:

2024 Picks: 1.01, 1.02
2025 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 4th
2026 Picks: 1st, 1st, 3rd, 4th

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:30 pm

If I had a surplus of RBs or WRs and I had a shortage of QBs, I would give up a guy that comes from round 3 or 4 of a startup draft for Mahomes. And that's being generous. But I would have to have a specific surplus/needs to do so.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:41 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:27 am Was never betting on him to throw for 50 again, but won't be surprised me at all if he does. This injury changes nothing as far as his dynasty value, he's still easily the #1 QB.
I don’t think he is easily QB1, heading into this week he was like QB5 or something. I think Watson is just as talented. Before tearing his acl he was lighting up the league at the same rate or better than Mahommes did last year. Now that he is fully healthy he is showing that he is very capable. If Lamar takes another step with his passing he will be truly scary from a fantasy perspective and his Floor will be higher than any other QB do to his running and his ceiling will be astronomical. I have no problem if someone values Mahommes as QB1 but I don’t think is easily and I don’t think there’s a big gap in the top tier that I would include Wilson in too.

Also I don’t see how injury is an excuse re: playing on a bad ankle... that is the NFL, everyone plays banged up. If a player needs ideal conditions to reach their potential then they won’t reach it very often.

Champ224
Captain
Captain

Postby Champ224 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:20 pm

thebeast wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:41 pm
bjd5211 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:27 am Was never betting on him to throw for 50 again, but won't be surprised me at all if he does. This injury changes nothing as far as his dynasty value, he's still easily the #1 QB.
I don’t think he is easily QB1, heading into this week he was like QB5 or something. I think Watson is just as talented. Before tearing his acl he was lighting up the league at the same rate or better than Mahommes did last year. Now that he is fully healthy he is showing that he is very capable. If Lamar takes another step with his passing he will be truly scary from a fantasy perspective and his Floor will be higher than any other QB do to his running and his ceiling will be astronomical. I have no problem if someone values Mahommes as QB1 but I don’t think is easily and I don’t think there’s a big gap in the top tier that I would include Wilson in too.

Also I don’t see how injury is an excuse re: playing on a bad ankle... that is the NFL, everyone plays banged up. If a player needs ideal conditions to reach their potential then they won’t reach it very often.
I think the difference with Mahomes and the rest of the pack is that it doesn’t matter who he plays with. He’s a solid bet for 300+ and 2-3 TDs per game as his floor.

He doesn’t need a strong rushing attach or all NFL WRs to put up numbers

Sure Watson and Jackson are solid options but they both have their limitations and I really don’t think they would continue to shine if they lost some of their Key WR corps the way Mahomes has. Maybe I’m off base but Mahomes to me is the unquestioned QB1 in a tier by himself

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:19 pm

I'll present the other side of the argument.

In a start-up (and I know that's not the question), there aren't 10 players that I'd rather have than Mahomes. And maybe not even 6. What I'm looking for that early are difference-makers. That's it. And Mahomes undoubtedly is one of the difference-makers at any position. Add on to that (a) that he's 24 and (b) that he plays at the position with the most projected longevity, and he should be, IMO, unquestionably a top-10 if not a top-5 start-up pick.

Trading for him, though, is harder. Odds are that you already have a QB who is good / great, and the boost might not be worth it. In addition, most people don't have the positional depth to give up a top-10 player for Mahomes and remain competitive. In other words, he's like a new car: worth the sticker price when you buy it but whose value diminishes the moment it's driven off the lot.

That being said, this presents a buying opportunity, IMO. If I could give up a top-15 RB (Conner, Bell, Kerryon) or a top WR (e.g., Julio, Cooks), then I'd do that in a heartbeat. Mahomes is as much as a difference-maker as they are, he's FAR more likely to stay at the top of his tier than they are, and he'll almost assuredly play for a lot longer than they will.

Similarly, I'd give up an early first-round pick pretty comfortably. All the above reasons apply to an unknown NFL player. Some hit and hit big, and some bust and bust big. I'd rather have among the surest things in Mahomes than a prospect. (There are a couple of exceptions here. First if is there is a Barkley-like prospect. Second is if your league tends to overpay for top-3 or top-4 picks; in that case, you could potentially get even a more valuable package than Mahomes. Failing those, though, I'll take Mahomes.)

Bottom line, I'm looking for difference-makers. Better yet, one who is all but guaranteed not to drop in expected production. Even better yet, one who projects to maintain that production for potentially a decade plus. IMO, no single player fits all those criteria more than Mahomes. In fact, I think that he's closer to the #1 overall pick in a one-QB start-up than he is to the third round.

Go ahead. Fire away, folks :).
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

Krypto_King
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krypto_King » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:07 pm

I don't think most dynasty owners think more than 1-2 years ahead in season, much less 10. Will Andy Reid still be his coach at age 71? Would you rather have Mahomes + Mike Williams or Russell Wilson + Michael Thomas? top 10 is nuttypants due to high replacement level of the position. That said, top 30 is not crazy and yes I'd take him in a vacuum over Conner, Bell, Julio, Cooks in a startup

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:08 am

I would take him mid-late 1st in a 1QB startup.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:09 am

Mahomes is the rare QB in a 1QB league that is worth a 1st+. His upside is enough to carry a lineup to wins. I do not think he is worth any of the names listed in the OP, except maybe Dalvin Cook, who I'm not as high on long-term as the consensus.