Patrick Mahomes: The Best QB in the NFL & for Dynasty

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
JoshGordonsDealer
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Is Mahomes the ultimate sell high?

Postby JoshGordonsDealer » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:50 pm

To build a true powerhouse you have to sell at peak value and buy at lower values (before a true breakout, after a down season, etc...) and hope it pans out.

People who bought Gurley after his garbage season have raked in the rewards. Mahomes is the dynasty QB1 in most (if not all) places. His value literally can't get higher relative to others at his position. I don't own him because I'm a moron, but if I did, I'd be selling everywhere.

Same as with Gurley and CMC for me.

Huh
Starter
Starter

Postby Huh » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:03 pm

There is a balance to buy low sell high. At some point the goal is to win. You can trade all day but you can end up standing still at the end. Identify your core, keep them, and trade everybody else. If Mahomes isn’t core I don’t know who is.

Huh
Starter
Starter

Postby Huh » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:14 pm

And that’s coming from a born trader. I lead my league in trades by a long shot.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:30 pm

hockeyBjj wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:27 am He's beyond sell high even in 1qb. I've reached out to both Mahomes owners and they said unless it involved me giving Gurley/Barkley they wouldn't sell him to me

I tried Russell Wilson, Derrick Henry, and T Boyd out of curiosity and was told to F off
I would've told you to F off too :wink: Not one name in that list that inspires excitement like Mahomes.

Agree with the consensus here - if you're 1QB, take the big haul if it's there. Otherwise, that's your core piece going forward.

I'll take the "over" on whoever said "he might never do this again". Use your eyes. He is playing a completely new game out there, and he has Football Rain Man drawing him plays for the next decade. It's going to be good.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:41 pm

Mahomes is nothing like Watson

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:58 pm

No, keep him. I’ve been very vocal about how I don’t think he is a great championship level real life QB ala Aaron Rodgers (who yes has won one but should have 1-2 more if he were as great as hyped up to be) However like Rodgers he will be an absolute fantasy stud for a long long time.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:25 pm

Huh wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:52 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:47 am Statistically, regression is likely on touchdowns alone. He may still throw for 5000 yards though and his ceiling is being the main reason you win. I wouldn't look to trade Mahomes, but I agree that if you can get a QB like Watson or Mayfield + a good asset, it's worth doing.
The best offer I got for Mahomes was Watson and a second and I passed. If he can be bought for deshaun and a first I would buy all day
Mahommes is the new Watson though. Last year Deshaun was impossible to pry from owners even after injury... Remember Jimmy G slicing up top DSTs? The league catches up to QB strengths pretty quick. I think this was a special year for Mahommes and it's too bad the Chiefs came up just a little bit short.

fruity pebbles
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby fruity pebbles » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:26 pm

Was recently offered JuJu for Mahomes and Golladay. Thinking about it. Wish I had better than Cam as a backup.

Detroitcity
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Detroitcity » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:29 pm

Huh wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:03 pm There is a balance to buy low sell high. At some point the goal is to win. You can trade all day but you can end up standing still at the end. Identify your core, keep them, and trade everybody else. If Mahomes isn’t core I don’t know who is.
OP here. Definitely agree with you here on your premise and typically operate the same way and that is obviously why my gut instinct was not to trade Mahomes.. basically ever. But after thinking about it more, it could really make some sense to move him for a king's ransom because as others indicated guys like Luck, Rodgers, Brady etc all saw significant decreases in both production and value following magical seasons and really never gained that high level value back.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:31 pm

Detroitcity wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:29 pm
Huh wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:03 pm There is a balance to buy low sell high. At some point the goal is to win. You can trade all day but you can end up standing still at the end. Identify your core, keep them, and trade everybody else. If Mahomes isn’t core I don’t know who is.
OP here. Definitely agree with you here on your premise and typically operate the same way and that is obviously why my gut instinct was not to trade Mahomes.. basically ever. But after thinking about it more, it could really make some sense to move him for a king's ransom because as others indicated guys like Luck, Rodgers, Brady etc all saw significant decreases in both production and value following magical seasons and really never gained that high level value back.
As someone said, at a certain point, buying low and selling high comes down to winning, but IF you get a top 5-8 QB plus a RB1-2, or WR1-2 on top of Mahomes, you ARE winning. Luck could easily outscore Mahomes next year, the numbers can shift, if Mahomes makes your starting lineup/ long term outlook better by trading him, you do it.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Detroitcity
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Detroitcity » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:36 pm

One thing I'm looking at here and this is the reason I brought up Mayfield in my original post, is if Mahomes naturally does regress towards the mean a little here and "comes back to earth" but still ends up being a top 5 QB long term on an annual basis (similar to Rodgers), isn't it possible that someone like Mayfield ends up being just as valuable as Mahomes 1 or 2 years from now. Mayfield was the QB9 from week 4 - on and it was truly his 1st year in the NFL.

So if you could get a guy like Mayfield + another young starter at RB/WR/TE, wouldn't that seem to make sense? I mean maybe no one is willing to offer that up for Mahomes, but it seems like given the Mahomes hype and his current market price you would be able to get something like that

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:49 pm

I think Mahomes is a top 5 dynasty asset. Even in non-Superflex leagues. I'm not trading him unless I get a Kings ransom.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:01 pm

My wifey and I are watching the Tidying up with Marie Kondo show on Netflix. It's great. She talks about keeping the things in your house that "Spark Joy".

Well Mahomes sparks joy on my fantasy roster. I get that tingly feeling when I place my thumb over his name and submit the lineup.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:02 pm

I'll have no problem selling him if I get offers like Watson+ or Wentz++ in superflex, but my experience is that people aren't trying to buy guys like Mahomes right now, and if you mention that you're willing to sell or you put him on the block, you're telegraphing that you're trying to sell high before he regresses toward the mean.

I would sell him, but I won't shop him.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:23 pm

I think it all depends what you could get for Mahomes to be honest.

We see this every year with at least one QB - literally. Some QB dramatically outperforms their expectations and skyrockets to the top of the rankings for the QB position, only to taper off.

Now I am not saying that Mahomes will plummet or anything - but recent history suggests that it is probably more likely that this type of production will not continue. It is near impossible to find consistency at the top of the QB position, but then again there is still at least a possibility he is the next Aaron Rodgers when it comes to fantasy production.

It would be silly to not have him in the discussion for top dynasty quarterback at this point - and obviously I would love to own him, but I will not go breaking the bank for him; he is absolutely not a buy so I think you would have a hard time getting the haul you would want. I would rather go with another QB, there is no upside to buying Mahomes at his current price.

Let's not forget - Mahomes is already rumoured to be looking at a $200m extension next offseason for him, that type of money can break a team and severely limit the weapons around him. I would also think that the Chiefs look to address their defense, reducing the "need" for Mahomes to perform at the same level.