Some thoughts on the 2020 Rookie Class

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Johnny B. Goode
Starter
Starter

Re: Some thoughts on the 2020 Rookie Class

Postby Johnny B. Goode » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:16 pm

AussieMate wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:28 pm
cantguardjake wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:49 pm Curios to hear why you think CEH is destined for a Hines roll in the NFL. They play nothing alike.
I assume its a size thing, I know he's built solid so it shouldn't matter but we've seen players like Gio and Duke get type cast into that role so it's not out of the question for it to happen again.
Just to clarify this isn't my opinion of him.
No, it's not a size thing.

I suppose Duke Johnson and Gio are two other examples too. I see a player that is destined for a passing only role because of the copycat nature of the NFL. An example is NE was effective using James White in this way. They arent the only ones but now everyone seems to be doing it. TEN went back to smashmouth RB football and was effective in slowing the fast paced game down and coming away with some impressive wins. I think we may see the pendulum swing a little back that way but not completely. I say he is destined for this role because many NFL teams are going with a pass catching only back and then a running rb. CEH is not an everytown NFL back IMO.

For CEH to be of any value in fantasy he needs to get consistent receptions like Brian Westbrook or James White. Otherwise hes just another Duke Johnson, Gio Bernard, Nyheim Hines taking up space on your bench and *might* blow up a game or two during the season. Not a player I'd want to spend a 1st round rookie pick on. In that case give me one of these WRs I can probably trade alone or in a package deal for a real RB later.

Packerland
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Packerland » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:50 pm

Johnny B. Goode wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:16 pm
AussieMate wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:28 pm
cantguardjake wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:49 pm Curios to hear why you think CEH is destined for a Hines roll in the NFL. They play nothing alike.
I assume its a size thing, I know he's built solid so it shouldn't matter but we've seen players like Gio and Duke get type cast into that role so it's not out of the question for it to happen again.
Just to clarify this isn't my opinion of him.
No, it's not a size thing.
That's what she said.
10 Team .5 PPR 1 QB League

QB: Goff, Brady, Herbert, Tannehill
RB: CEH, JT, Akers, Dobbins, Mixon
WR: Adams, Godwin, McLaurin, Lamb, Chark, Claypool, Pittman, Diontae, Anderson
TE: Andrews, Goedert

Picks:
2021: 4 1sts, 1 2nd
2022: 1 1st, 2 2nds

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:51 pm

CEH to me is a better prospect than Singletary and Singletary has shown well so far.

Granted CEH is definitely a better recieving back and in pass pro. Arguable on who's better between the tackles
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

Straycatz2
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Straycatz2 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:16 pm

Johnny B. Goode wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:16 pm No, it's not a size thing.

I suppose Duke Johnson and Gio are two other examples too. I see a player that is destined for a passing only role because of the copycat nature of the NFL. An example is NE was effective using James White in this way. They arent the only ones but now everyone seems to be doing it. TEN went back to smashmouth RB football and was effective in slowing the fast paced game down and coming away with some impressive wins. I think we may see the pendulum swing a little back that way but not completely. I say he is destined for this role because many NFL teams are going with a pass catching only back and then a running rb. CEH is not an everytown NFL back IMO.

For CEH to be of any value in fantasy he needs to get consistent receptions like Brian Westbrook or James White. Otherwise hes just another Duke Johnson, Gio Bernard, Nyheim Hines taking up space on your bench and *might* blow up a game or two during the season. Not a player I'd want to spend a 1st round rookie pick on. In that case give me one of these WRs I can probably trade alone or in a package deal for a real RB later.
I posted this earlier, but he really looks like he would be a elite RPO back and has good vision. Much more than a pass catching back.
Check out these:
https://twitter.com/JMoyerFB/status/122 ... 72736?s=19

https://twitter.com/BenjaminSolak/statu ... 7513590785

https://twitter.com/JMoyerFB/status/1228088559795499008

Krypto_King
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krypto_King » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:47 pm

I can't think of two worse stylistic comps than CEH = Nyheim Hines or Akers = Rojo

cantguardjake
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cantguardjake » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:51 pm

Krypto_King wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:47 pm I can't think of two worse stylistic comps than CEH = Nyheim Hines or Akers = Rojo
Yea I agree they aren’t even remotely close.

Honestly at this stage CEH is at least equal RB1 for me with Taylor on ability, but I have some concerns with his pass protection which is alarming.

Johnny B. Goode
Starter
Starter

Postby Johnny B. Goode » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:01 am

Straycatz2 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:16 pm
Johnny B. Goode wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:16 pm No, it's not a size thing.

I posted this earlier, but he really looks like he would be a elite RPO back and has good vision. Much more than a pass catching back.
Check out these:
https://twitter.com/JMoyerFB/status/122 ... 72736?s=19

https://twitter.com/BenjaminSolak/statu ... 7513590785

https://twitter.com/JMoyerFB/status/1228088559795499008
Worth a other look I guess, but I dont think he climbs very high for me

I want to give CEH a chance but I just don't see an NFL 3 down back...

dynastyaggie
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby dynastyaggie » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:55 am

cantguardjake wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:51 pm
Krypto_King wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:47 pm I can't think of two worse stylistic comps than CEH = Nyheim Hines or Akers = Rojo

Honestly at this stage CEH is at least equal RB1 for me with Taylor on ability, but I have some concerns with his pass protection which is alarming.
Pass Pro is one of the more coachable traits for RBs. Not terribly worried about this. Hopefully my league mates are, however, and maybe CEH slips a bit. I think CEH is a Ray Rice clone (minus the off field issues hopefully).
12 Team Dynasty 6pt Pass TD .5 PPR 1QB 2RB 3WR 1 FLEX
QB: Patrick Mahomes.
RB: Leveon Bell, David Johnson, Latavius Murray, Adrian Peterson, Peyton Barber, Nyheim Hines, Tony Pollard, Jerick McKinnon, Chris Thompson.
WR: Michael Thomas, Adam Thielen, Cooper Kupp, Tyrell Williams, Chris Conley, Randall Cobb, Antonio Brown
TE: Mark Andrews, Eric Ebron

2020 Rookie Picks: 1.1, 1.7, 3.3

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:54 am

dynastyaggie wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:55 am

Pass Pro is one of the more coachable traits for RBs. Not terribly worried about this. Hopefully my league mates are, however, and maybe CEH slips a bit. I think CEH is a Ray Rice clone (minus the off field issues hopefully).
Most college backs need work on pass pro. College coaches simply don't spend a lot of time on it, as the time with players is limited. One of the things I've heard when evaluating for pass pro isn't so much technique, but effort. The technique can be taught, but you need a player willing to get "stuck in", so to speak.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:02 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:54 am
dynastyaggie wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:55 am

Most college backs need work on pass pro. College coaches simply don't spend a lot of time on it, as the time with players is limited. One of the things I've heard when evaluating for pass pro isn't so much technique, but effort. The technique can be taught, but you need a player willing to get "stuck in", so to speak.
Agree. People were down on Miles Sanders for his pass pro this time last year and he was de-cleating mofos by the end of the season.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

cantguardjake
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cantguardjake » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:17 pm

I never saw an issue with Sanders pass pro, I didn’t realise that was a thing?

CEH is straight garbage in pass pro, the whiff diving chop block is his specialty.

Packerland
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Packerland » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:06 pm

Interesting tidbit: Jonathan Taylor had exactly 61 rushes of 10+ yards in each of his 3 seasons at Wisconsin. Big play waiting to happen!
10 Team .5 PPR 1 QB League

QB: Goff, Brady, Herbert, Tannehill
RB: CEH, JT, Akers, Dobbins, Mixon
WR: Adams, Godwin, McLaurin, Lamb, Chark, Claypool, Pittman, Diontae, Anderson
TE: Andrews, Goedert

Picks:
2021: 4 1sts, 1 2nd
2022: 1 1st, 2 2nds

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:51 pm

blemly wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:48 pm Haven’t seen a lot of Cam Akers discussion as of late, is he consistently sliding to the RB5 at this (admittedly very early) stage? Putting up the numbers he did behind an atrocious line makes me consider him a screaming value if he drops to the late 1st/early 2nd in rookie drafts.
I can see only that late 1st/early 2nd scenario playing out if he has a terrible combine and as a result falls to day 3. I suppose it could also happen if he fell into a committee situation/drafted by a team that already has a bellcow. Barring those things happening he seems like a lock to go no later than mid first, to the back end of the mid first (8th-9th). I can't really see him falling into round 2 unless it's superflex and one of those awful scenario's plays out. For now, he's somewhere between 3rd-5th for me, the DLF people seem to have him at 1.06, and it seems like other people have him more 1.05-1.10 pending the combine and answers from the draft.

Thinking about RB landing spots that wouldn't be total headaches?
Miami
Tampa Bay
Atlanta
Houston
Kansas city
San Diego if they move on from Gordon
Indy if they move on from Mack
Tennessee if they move on from Henry
Arizona if Drake leaves
Baltimore if they move on from Ingram
NYJ if they move on from Bell.

When I think about that, it actually makes me even more nervous as there's only really maybe 5 or 6 total teams that I'd be largely comfortable with a rookie RB landing on, every other situation needs other dominoes to fall.

alewilliam789
All Pro
All Pro

Postby alewilliam789 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:37 pm

You guys are way to high on CEH. Looks like a good back, but no way he’s even close to Taylor. Even if Taylor can’t catch the ball (which in itself isn’t proven). This seems like a Hakeem Butler Matt Waldman take
I may or may not be related to Bryan Edwards

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:17 pm

cantguardjake wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:17 pm I never saw an issue with Sanders pass pro, I didn’t realise that was a thing?

CEH is straight garbage in pass pro, the whiff diving chop block is his specialty.
Where are you getting this from? This wasn't something I noticed when I watched his tape so I went back for a 2nd look. In the 8 games I found there were 24 times he stayed back in pass protection. There were only 3 times he failed; twice off of play action, one in which he was totally out of position to pick up a blitzer, and a third on a missed chop block. As a matter of fact he only attempted 3 chop blocks in those 8 games missing only once. I would hardly call that a specialty.

If anything, I would knock him for a lack of experience in pass pro. The majority of times he would be sent out to run routes. Compared to most other college backs I would be tempted to even give him a passing grade.
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates