Help Me Convince League to Expand Rosters

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Aldonall
Rookie
Rookie

Help Me Convince League to Expand Rosters

Postby Aldonall » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:07 pm

Hey y’all.

So here’s the situation. My original dynasty league (with mostly college buddies) has a bit of a weird setup. 12 starting slots (2QB 2RB 3WR TE 2FLEX D/ST K) with only 10 bench spots, 1 IR, no taxi.

I love the league, but due to the settings, trading is virtually dead. You can’t send a 2nd or 3rd for a prospect because it generally requires you to cut one you like nearly as much, or give up a roster spot you need to use on a player who is producing now.

I may send a second for Hakeem Butler, but I’m not second a second and also cutting Herndon.

For example, Anthony Miller, Andy Isabella, Robby Anderson, and other players of that caliber have been dropped by their original owners already, as they couldn’t get any value in trades.

I’ve pressed for an incremental increase roster slots, but the main argument against has been “player hoarding”. My counter is that some form of “player hoarding” is required for trading to really happen; players must be able to have an excess at positions to have things they’re willing to trade away.

Any advice?
10 Team League: 2 QB 2 RB 3 WR 2 Flex, 0.5 PPR:

QB: Mahomes, Allen, Minshew
RB: Barkley, Kamara, Akers, Jones
WR: AJB, Chase, Evans, Cooks Juju, Mooney, Davis, Rondale, Marshall Jr.
TE: Pitts, Engram

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Help Me Convince League to Expand Rosters

Postby M-Dub » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:52 pm

Maybe just try to convince them to get rid of D/STs and kickers. That would immediately improve your starter:bench ratio without technically increasing roster sizes.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

Johnny B. Goode
Starter
Starter

Postby Johnny B. Goode » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:02 pm

why not just have a 10 man taxi squad...can put rookies on there and leave them as long as you like. once moved up you cant move back down.

It adds a major layer of strategy to the game because you have to pick and choose when to move guys up. Gives value to 2nd and 3rd round picks (even 4th), and it keeps a really strong ww because you're still dropping guys like Herndon to move Butler to your active squad.

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:20 am

This is/should be played more like a redraft league. My guess is that your leaguemates enjoy this experience of a plentiful waiver wire rather than sitting on youth and hoping they work out.

If picks dont mean anything... Just get rid of them. Have a 1rd draft each year. We had a league in which owners wouldnt accept offers of 2nds and 3rds on back....we now just have a 2rd draft and it avoids the headache of worthless assets.

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:08 am

IME, the league you describe already is kinda deep, for a casual FF player. I personally prefer 40 man rosters, but some leagues just arent gonna go for that. I dont think theres really an argument anyone can bring here. My only shot at it is this: I used to prefer shallower leagues too. Now I dont. I think thats a common pattern.
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

Paul717
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Paul717 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:31 pm

Is anyone allowed to bring a topic to vote on during the offseason or during the draft? If so, propose a vote worded something like:

How many roster spots should we expand to starting in 2020: 0, 2, 8 (No one will vote for 8, maybe enough will vote for 2?)

Rinse and repeat. I.E. you won't convince people to add a bunch of spots right away, but you can discuss incremental increases over a few years to get to a bigger number.

As far as further arguments for deeper rosters...send your league mates a link to this website and let them see the potential and fun in discussing trades 365 days a year.
"Marathon Square" - 16 team full PPR league with 24 player roster. Keep 16 per year indefinitely, draft 8. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Team DST
QB: Jordan Love, Deshaun Watson
RB: Travis Etienne, Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, Kendre Miller, Jaleel McLaughlin, Sean Tucker, Deuce Vaughn
WR: A.J. Brown, Garrett Wilson, Tee Higgins, Calvin Ridley, Michael Wilson, Kendrick Bourne, Tutu Atwell, Allen Lazard, Isaiah Hodgins, Justin Shorter
TE: T.J. Hockenson, Cole Kmet, Kylen Granson
K: Didn't make the playoffs in 2023 :cry: , and don't usually hold one in the offseason
Team DST: Cowboys, Lions

Picks:
2024: All my picks except 3rd rounder

Disclaimer: My one and only Championship in this league was way back in 2011. Therefore, take my replies with the appropriate grain of salt. :lol:

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:25 pm

Sounds like a very casual “friends” dynasty league. Sounds like the majority like the idea of dynasty but don’t want to go all in. It takes a “special” type of person to be a hardcore dynasty player (like the guys talking dynasty in January). My advice would be to enjoy the league for what it is...a league of friends.

But also look to add another league...whether a whole new startup or an orphan. Find a deeper league that’s more to your liking. They are out there.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:44 pm

Piling on. Jump into another league that has the correct ratios. And then play this one out as long as you wish.

Also maybe you should invite your leaguemates to check out this thread that you've posted and let them see that unbiased dynasty players agree that the bench slots are too shallow. I've made posts here on the messageboard and then invited leaguemates to view it and even sign in and post replies. Sometimes that's what it takes for them to realize what needs to be done.