Ideas to progress FF scoring

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Re: Ideas to progress FF scoring

Postby Orenthal Shames » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:54 pm

I don't mind QB rushing as it is. It's a nice wrinkle to add value to an otherwise stagnant position.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:23 pm

Orenthal Shames wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:54 pm I don't mind QB rushing as it is. It's a nice wrinkle to add value to an otherwise stagnant position.
You see, I feel the opposite. Value can be added by making rushing less, or adding value to passing yards. It's just added to the QB's who throw the ball well. That would make it less stagnant as well. I just fundamentally disagree with a QB like Josh Allen for example, outscoring much more productive QB's due to scoring format.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:40 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:23 pm
Orenthal Shames wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:54 pm I don't mind QB rushing as it is. It's a nice wrinkle to add value to an otherwise stagnant position.
You see, I feel the opposite. Value can be added by making rushing less, or adding value to passing yards. It's just added to the QB's who throw the ball well. That would make it less stagnant as well. I just fundamentally disagree with a QB like Josh Allen for example, outscoring much more productive QB's due to scoring format.
I get it, but it seems reactionary. How much is qb rushing really effecting the fantasy position? Only a handful of QBs rushed for over 300 yards. Seems like adjusting the whole to account for the few. Qbs aren't strictly passers. If that buoys the likes of Josh Allen over some slightly above-mediocre pure passers, so be it.
16 team league

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:44 pm

Orenthal Shames wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:40 pm
I get it, but it seems reactionary. How much is qb rushing really effecting the fantasy position? Only a handful of QBs rushed for over 300 yards. Seems like adjusting the whole to account for the few. Qbs aren't strictly passers. If that buoys the likes of Josh Allen over some slightly above-mediocre pure passers, so be it.
How so? I've been playing FF for ages, and the first time I joined a redraft league and they explained the scoring all those years ago, I didn't understand it or agree with it.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:07 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:44 pm

How so? I've been playing FF for ages, and the first time I joined a redraft league and they explained the scoring all those years ago, I didn't understand it or agree with it.
Negating the rushing aspect strictly from QBs to minimize their fantasy totals seems reactionary. It's such a small population to begin with. Rushing is rushing.

To each their own, as it stands it doesn't bother me, but variety is the spice of life and all that.

I'd assume you'd score WR/RB TD passes as 6 point tds and 10 yards per point then (as opposed to 4pt pass td, 25 pass yards per point league)?
16 team league

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:36 pm

Orenthal Shames wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:07 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:44 pm

Negating the rushing aspect strictly from QBs to minimize their fantasy totals seems reactionary. It's such a small population to begin with. Rushing is rushing.

To each their own, as it stands it doesn't bother me, but variety is the spice of life and all that.

I'd assume you'd score WR/RB TD passes as 6 point tds and 10 yards per point then (as opposed to 4pt pass td, 25 pass yards per point league)?
Yeah, but I prefer 6 points per TD. I'm actually going to play with some numbers this off season. The reality is, in any scoring format, we all have the blueprint, and have to draft accordingly, I just never liked the way QB's were scored. There is no perfect system, and variety is great, like you said.

Walter W.
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Walter W. » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:07 pm

Our bonuses are based off of combined yards, so passing/rushing/receiving yards are all added together for each player. So in that respect all yards are created equal within the position. We do have different total for QBs than others players to account for them having a lot more yards due to passing.
The One Who Knocks
12 team league, 27 man rosters (more during the offseason), 7 man Practice Squad. Standard league with big play scoring for IDPs.

QB: L. Jackson, K. Mond, K. Murray, A. Richardson, D. Thompson-Robinson
RB: L. Bellamy, Z. Charbonnet, N. Chubb, N. Harris, K. Hunt, K. Ingram, C. Edwards-Helaire, J. Mixon, D. Vaughn, J. Warren, K. Williams
WR: C. Austin, O. Beckham, A. Cooper, C. Davis, J. Downs, M. Goodwin, N. Harry, J. Jefferson, J. Jeudy, T. Johnson, M. Jones, A. Lazard, M. Mims, S. Moore, R. Rice, J. Smith-Schuster, J. Washington, A. Wesley, N. Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: N. Fant, H. Henry, K. Pitts, D. Washington
K: Z. Gonzalez, R. Gould, B. McManus
DL: J. Hughes, T. Wilson
LB: D. Harris, J. Houston, S. Leonard
DB: E. Forbes, A. Robertson

2024 picks: 1, 1, 3, 5, 5, 6, 7
2025 picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:54 am

To me, the most compelling reason to change the standard QB scoring system is to spread them out. With how clumped they are together, the QB3 and QB10 aren't far apart and experienced owners won't pay for that increase.

Increasing the points per yard (say from 1 for 20 yards to 1 for 15) gets that done. Reducing the points per rush gets the job done too. Adding stuff like points per completion/incompletion helps separate mediocre QBs from the truly elite players without tampering with the core scoring system.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:40 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:54 am With how clumped they are together, the QB3 and QB10 aren't far apart
would 334 points (QB3) vs 271 points (QB10) be enough of a difference?
that's a 4.2 points difference per game, or about a 20% difference.