Ideas to progress FF scoring

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Ideas to progress FF scoring

Postby M-Dub » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:42 pm

I don’t have a problem with passing yards being worth less than rushing/receiving yards. Passing yards are just flat-out easier to accumulate, especially when you’re touching the ball on literally every offensive play. Does anyone really think it’s anywhere near as easy to break off a 15-yard run as it is to complete 15-yard pass? Even the best running QBs of all time still have WAY more passing yards than rushing yards. Throwing for 200 yards is commonplace. Putting up 200 rushing or receiving yards is a rare, incredible performance. They’re simply not the same.

As far as scoring changes I’d like to see, I’d love to have the ability to set up a much more nuanced PPR system. Something like .1 point for every yard gained on the catch, up to one full point for catches of 10+ yards. So a 2-yard catch would be worth a total of .4 points, a 7-yard catch is 1.4, etc. Catches of 0 or negative yards would get no PPR points.

I love PPFD scoring. One of my leagues does .5 for rushing/receiving first downs and .2 for passing first downs. It’s great. Doesn’t really shake up the positional rankings too much, but rewards guys who consistently move the chains.

Another thing I’d like to see, which I mentioned in another thread about D/STs a while back, is a defensive scoring formula that actually subtracts a PERCENTAGE of your opponent’s points, rather than just adding raw points to your own total. One of the most frustrating elements of fantasy is the inability to prevent your opponent from scoring. I think it’d be cool to devise a scoring system where defensive scoring (sacks, turnovers, yards/points allowed) contributed to a percentage that was subtracted from your opponents score. That way, the more your opponent scores, the more points would be subtracted. This could probably work with either D/STs or IDPs, assuming your get the formula right.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

dark_knite03
Captain
Captain

Postby dark_knite03 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:08 pm

Sleeper allows tiered PPR.... I personally hate rbs getting 10 points for going 8/20/0.....thier platform allows for scoring 1-4, 5-9, 10-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40+. They also allow for positional bonuses so you could do a . 25 point for a catch 1-9 yards and a bonus for wrs of .25 PPR and TE's would give rbs and qbs .25 PPR and wrs TE's .5
Est '17 12 Team 1PPR 4-Pass 6-Rush/Recieve TD
Start QB RB RB WR WR TE FX FX SF K DL LB DB
Champion 2021.
Geno, Tlaw, M Jones, D.Carr, White
JT, A Jones, Dobbins,Monty,D.Harris, Reyonds
Dillon,Kelley, Warren, Miller, Hill, Penny, Rivers
Diggs, AJB, Jefferson, Chase, Claypool, Juedy, Deebo,WanDale, Mingo, Boutte
Kittle, Andrews,Njoku
Moody

Superflex Est 19' - - Tiered PPR
QB RB RB WR WR WR/RB TE FX SF K D
Dak, Wilson, Watson
Henry, Chubb, ETN, Swift, Gus, Strong, Ford, Spiller, Chandler, Spears
Godwin, DJM , JJ,Kenaan, AJB, Lockett, Austin, Palmer, Boutte
Andrews, Goedert, Juwan, Woods

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:40 pm

M-Dub wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:42 pm I don’t have a problem with passing yards being worth less than rushing/receiving yards. Passing yards are just flat-out easier to accumulate, especially when you’re touching the ball on literally every offensive play. Does anyone really think it’s anywhere near as easy to break off a 15-yard run as it is to complete 15-yard pass? Even the best running QBs of all time still have WAY more passing yards than rushing yards. Throwing for 200 yards is commonplace. Putting up 200 rushing or receiving yards is a rare, incredible performance. They’re simply not the same.

As far as scoring changes I’d like to see, I’d love to have the ability to set up a much more nuanced PPR system. Something like .1 point for every yard gained on the catch, up to one full point for catches of 10+ yards. So a 2-yard catch would be worth a total of .4 points, a 7-yard catch is 1.4, etc. Catches of 0 or negative yards would get no PPR points.

I love PPFD scoring. One of my leagues does .5 for rushing/receiving first downs and .2 for passing first downs. It’s great. Doesn’t really shake up the positional rankings too much, but rewards guys who consistently move the chains.

Another thing I’d like to see, which I mentioned in another thread about D/STs a while back, is a defensive scoring formula that actually subtracts a PERCENTAGE of your opponent’s points, rather than just adding raw points to your own total. One of the most frustrating elements of fantasy is the inability to prevent your opponent from scoring. I think it’d be cool to devise a scoring system where defensive scoring (sacks, turnovers, yards/points allowed) contributed to a percentage that was subtracted from your opponents score. That way, the more your opponent scores, the more points would be subtracted. This could probably work with either D/STs or IDPs, assuming your get the formula right.
Love this idea, and have been thinking of something similar. a loss of five on a reception should not net positive points.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

dark_knite03
Captain
Captain

Postby dark_knite03 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:06 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:40 pm
M-Dub wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:42 pm I don’t have a problem with passing yards being worth less than rushing/receiving yards. Passing yards are just flat-out easier to accumulate, especially when you’re touching the ball on literally every offensive play. Does anyone really think it’s anywhere near as easy to break off a 15-yard run as it is to complete 15-yard pass? Even the best running QBs of all time still have WAY more passing yards than rushing yards. Throwing for 200 yards is commonplace. Putting up 200 rushing or receiving yards is a rare, incredible performance. They’re simply not the same.

Love this idea, and have been thinking of something similar. a loss of five on a reception should not net positive points.
Wouldn't making recieving yards worth a point per five yards essentially do the same thing. With no PPR rewarded. With decimal scoring of course.
Champion 2021.
Kittle, Andrews,Njoku
Moody

Dak, Wilson, Watson

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:29 pm

BTW, it seems I posted wrong earlier. in 1 QB leagues, what I meant was point one, not one point per passing yard. 1 point per yard would be insanely high scoring, LOL. It's normally either , .04 or .05 per yard.

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:35 pm

dark_knite03 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:06 pm

Wouldn't making recieving yards worth a point per five yards essentially do the same thing. With no PPR rewarded. With decimal scoring of course.
It would up to the 10 yard threshold, but beyond that it would be a huge buff. An 8/150/1 stat line would be worth 36 points, versus 29 in regular PPR.

🦬PRIME🦬
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert

Hull Awaits

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:38 pm

M-Dub wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:35 pm

It would up to the 10 yard threshold, but beyond that it would be a huge buff. An 8/150/1 stat line would be worth 36 points, versus 29 in regular PPR.
The highlighted part of M-Dub's previous post was basically exactly what I have discussed with a good friend in the upside and downside of PPR. It's good to hear someone else put it out there, so I know it's an idea others might have interest in. Tiered PPR, where the maximum is 1 point (a catch of ten yards or over) and everything under ten matches the yardage total. A reception of no gain or of a loss gets no points awarded for the catch at all. It's literally everything I discusses with a fellow Raiders fan a few weeks ago, week 15, I believe.

jetsfan5757
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby jetsfan5757 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:30 pm

I would be all for reducing value of QB rush yards, and I don't like PPR at all. Would consider 0.5 ppr but don't think it's neceasary anymore in the era of the RB by committee.

Back to QB scoring:
1 pt per 25 pass yards
1 pt per 20 rush yards
6 pt per pass TD
-4 per INT
-2 more for pick 6

Edit/addition:
The idea is to reward great QB play, create a bit more separation in the ranks.

All TDs should be equal, and this will boost good QBs.

I'd be ok with 1 pt per 15 rush yds for QBs, but math is harder to so in your head.

Penalize the Jameis Winstons of the world for INTs and especially pick 6s.

I'm tempted to make pass yards slightly more valuable (1pt per 20, in which case I'd make rush yds for QBs 1 pt per 15) but I'm leery of rewarding garbage time yards...
Dynasty League (25 man rosters + 2 IR, non-PPR scoring. QB/3RB/3WR/2TE/K/DB/LB/DL no flex)

QB (1): Herbert, Lawrence, Darnold
RB (3): N. Chubb, D. Henry, J. Taylor, JK Dobbins, Pollard, Singletary, L. Murray
WR (3): D. Hopkins, D. Adams, M. Evans, D.J. Moore, DJ Chark, B. Aiyuk, J. Smith-Schuster, R Bateman, E. Moore
TE (2): I. Smith Jr, H. Henry, Schultz, Tremble

K (1): M. Crosby

DB (1): J. Adams
LB (1): F. Warner
DL (1): D. Lawrence

PS: I often don't revisit a thread after posting. Send me a message if you ever want further thoughts on a comment I made.

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:13 pm

Here’s an idea I had a couple years ago to make fumble scoring a little more nuanced. My league shot it down, but I still like it:

Currently, a lost fumble counts as -2 points. My suggestion was to make it -1 for a fumble, -1 for a fumble lost to opponent and +1 for an offensive fumble recovery. My thinking was that fumbles are ALWAYS bad, even if a teammate recovers it. So in this modified scoring format, a lost fumble counts as -2, a fumble recovered by the same player who fumbled it counts as 0, and a fumble recovered by a teammate counts as -1 for the fumbler and +1 for the recoverer.

This obviously wouldn’t drastically change scoring in any significant way. I just feel like it more accurately penalizes fumbling and actually rewards a heads up play when a player recovers a teammate’s fumble.

🦬PRIME🦬

Hull Awaits

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:52 pm

M-Dub wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:13 pm Here’s an idea I had a couple years ago to make fumble scoring a little more nuanced. My league shot it down, but I still like it:

Currently, a lost fumble counts as -2 points. My suggestion was to make it -1 for a fumble, -1 for a fumble lost to opponent and +1 for an offensive fumble recovery. My thinking was that fumbles are ALWAYS bad, even if a teammate recovers it. So in this modified scoring format, a lost fumble counts as -2, a fumble recovered by the same player who fumbled it counts as 0, and a fumble recovered by a teammate counts as -1 for the fumbler and +1 for the recoverer.

This obviously wouldn’t drastically change scoring in any significant way. I just feel like it more accurately penalizes fumbling and actually rewards a heads up play when a player recovers a teammate’s fumble.
I do play in a league where you get -2 for fumble lost, and -1 for just the fumble, if your team recovers. I like the idea of getting the point for being "johnny on the spot" so to speak, for recovering the fumble. You save your team a potential turnover, and if you are the guy that originally fumbled, you break even, which is in line with real football.
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:53 pm

jetsfan5757 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:30 pm I would be all for reducing value of QB rush yards, and I don't like PPR at all. Would consider 0.5 ppr but don't think it's neceasary anymore in the era of the RB by committee.

Back to QB scoring:
1 pt per 25 pass yards
1 pt per 20 rush yards
6 pt per pass TD
-4 per INT
-2 more for pick 6

Edit/addition:
The idea is to reward great QB play, create a bit more separation in the ranks.

All TDs should be equal, and this will boost good QBs.

I'd be ok with 1 pt per 15 rush yds for QBs, but math is harder to so in your head.

Penalize the Jameis Winstons of the world for INTs and especially pick 6s.

I'm tempted to make pass yards slightly more valuable (1pt per 20, in which case I'd make rush yds for QBs 1 pt per 15) but I'm leery of rewarding garbage time yards...
All steps in the right direction, IMO.

dark_knite03
Captain
Captain

Postby dark_knite03 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:33 am

M-Dub wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:35 pm

Sorry I missed the part about capping at 1 full point.
Champion 2021.
Kittle, Andrews,Njoku
Moody

Dak, Wilson, Watson

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:51 am

M-Dub wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:13 pm Here’s an idea I had a couple years ago to make fumble scoring a little more nuanced. My league shot it down, but I still like it:

I've put together a similar scoring system before. One tweak would be a lost fumble should be the same as an INT- a turnover is a turnover.

Spinning off that idea, a pass defensed happens when a defensive players bats a pass, creating the potential for an INT. In a sense, a recovered fumble is similar to a pass defensed- a poor decision nearly resulting in a turnover. As such, a passer throwing a pass defensed should lose the same number of points as a fumble, before calculating whether it was recovered.

-4 for fumble
+2 for offensive fumble recovery (yours or another's)
-4 for interception
-2 for pass defensed
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:59 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:51 am

I've put together a similar scoring system before. One tweak would be a lost fumble should be the same as an INT- a turnover is a turnover.

Spinning off that idea, a pass defensed happens when a defensive players bats a pass, creating the potential for an INT. In a sense, a recovered fumble is similar to a pass defensed- a poor decision nearly resulting in a turnover. As such, a passer throwing a pass defensed should lose the same number of points as a fumble, before calculating whether it was recovered.

-4 for fumble
-4 for interception
-2 for pass defensed
I don't like the pass defensed idea. What happens when you lose a game by 1 point because a hail mary pass to the endzone at halftime was batted down? Not all pass breakups are the same. A defender may get a finger on it, but never really had a chance at a pick, but -2 on the scoreboard. I think that is doing too much.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:53 pm

jenkins.math wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:59 am
Pullo Vision wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:51 am

-4 for fumble
-4 for interception
-2 for pass defensed
I don't like the pass defensed idea. What happens when you lose a game by 1 point because a hail mary pass to the endzone at halftime was batted down? Not all pass breakups are the same. A defender may get a finger on it, but never really had a chance at a pick, but -2 on the scoreboard. I think that is doing too much.
What happens when you LOSE a game because of a completed Hail Mary? What about repeated laterals like the week 17 Miami-NE game? Craziness happens all the time and we win/lose games because of garbage plays. Do you just accept it? Hell, people have lost because of kneel downs cutting QB rush yards and killing rush yard bonuses.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def