General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: 2020 BAD Trade Offers

Postby stoneghost28 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:05 am

Mephistopheles wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:54 am
stoneghost28 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:02 pm [

I'd rather just send what I think is reasonable value based on market value stuff like the current ADP stuff, the analyzer etc and just get it done. I don't mind even losing a trade on current market value if I believe my valuation long term is more accurate. I sent a whole ton of "Im gonna lose this trade right now" Sony Michel offers starting in the early winter of 2018-2019 because I realized that I was just dead wrong in my eval six months earlier (I had the backs ranked 1. Barkley 2. Guice 3 Chubb 4 Michel 5 Penny 6 Kerryon) and needed to shed all my shares (think I got him on like 4 of my 9 dynasty teams at that time, and on a keeper team, ended up trading for him as well in a package that actually helped me win a title). I sent him packing successfully in five of the 6 leagues, and I think calculators said I lost pretty much all the trades at the time, but I felt I was getting out before the roof caved in on his value, so I was willing to add sweetners (Evan Engram in one trade for instance). A year later, and it looks like I won all of those trades (to be fair, a year earlier I panic traded McCaffrey off of all my teams. What's gone down as the worst trades I've ever made in 21 years of playing fantasy w/1 exception, otoh, at least I got value w/those picks (generally speaking I used the picks I got in those packages for Chubb (as they were usually in that 1.03-1.04 zone and Chubb was almost always available).

I take the same approach. If somebody wants to acquire a player from me , I'll send them a quote that I think is fair, I don't try to gouge anybody. A lot of times I'll even double check the DLF trade analyzer to see if my valuation is far off and change it if it is. Sometimes if I want to offload a player or acquire a particular player, I'll take the low side from the trade analyzer. I don't have the time or desire to haggle over the price from a starting point like that one. I'd rather just hold on to the players (and I think that a lot of DFF owners conveniently ignore that that is a real option).

Most DFF owners these days think it's just a starting point, they want to battle to get the price down, and they don't have the skill to recognize a good price on a player. I see it a lot in my businesses when clients/customers get a quote or a price, they have no idea whether it's fair or not - they don't even know what they're trying to "negotiate" down to, just as long as it's less than the original quote - and just start haggling to get it down with no basis for haggling other than it's a first quote or first offer. Then they're stunned when we withdraw our initial quote and just decline to bid.

I have a guy in one of my leagues (R. Freeman owner) who asked after Phillip Lindsay back in August (5 months ago). His first offer was a 2021 3rd round pick. I quoted him either Ekeler (I have Gordon) or a 2020 late 1st. Even offered to condition the 2020 pick (drop it to an early 2nd) if it was top 4. He has pestered me every week since then ( I stopped responding to him in September - my last message was "You know the price to get Lindsay. I'm not rehashing this again.") but his latest offer was Kaden Smith and a late 2020 4th.

Life is too short and this hobby just isn't that lucrative for most of us to dick around with bleep like this.
It's helpful that generally people just tend to reveal themselves to be this way, and you can just move them off your trade agenda for when you want to make moves. It's just such a waste of time for some of us anyway.

I get that some people get a rise out of that kind of trade brinksmanship, really enjoy the back and forth, like the stereotype of the mideastern bazaar where you can get a better deal if you give the owner of the store/shop more fun in back and forth than if you just want to buy it and be done with it. I'm just not that kind of person. I don't enjoy it (probably because I'm an anxious person), it's just a stressor and I find it annoying and frustrating, especially if someone's using the classic, "start w/the epic, stupid low ball offer and go from there", which generally leads to me just closing off communication and going nowhere from there. It feels like an insult, even if it isn't one, and is just their preferred way of trading.

On Lindsay, I dealt him last offseason, just nervous that a coaching staff isn't enamored with his size, and he's suddenly out of a gig, didn't think I could get a 1st in that particular league (10 team super flex/2TE deep dynasty (30 roster spots)), so I sent him and a '21 3rd, for 5.2 (used on Kahale Warring), '20 3rd (ended up being 3.04, I flipped that and Corey Davis for Diontae Johnson and a 4th at the deadline), and a '21 2nd.

We'll see how it turns out, at this point the return is so crazy convoluted it would take a while to parse out.

Mephistopheles
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mephistopheles » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:36 pm

stoneghost28 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:05 am
It's helpful that generally people just tend to reveal themselves to be this way, and you can just move them off your trade agenda for when you want to make moves. It's just such a waste of time for some of us anyway.

I get that some people get a rise out of that kind of trade brinksmanship, really enjoy the back and forth, like the stereotype of the mideastern bazaar where you can get a better deal if you give the owner of the store/shop more fun in back and forth than if you just want to buy it and be done with it. I'm just not that kind of person. I don't enjoy it (probably because I'm an anxious person), it's just a stressor and I find it annoying and frustrating, especially if someone's using the classic, "start w/the epic, stupid low ball offer and go from there", which generally leads to me just closing off communication and going nowhere from there. It feels like an insult, even if it isn't one, and is just their preferred way of trading.

On Lindsay, I dealt him last offseason, just nervous that a coaching staff isn't enamored with his size, and he's suddenly out of a gig, didn't think I could get a 1st in that particular league (10 team super flex/2TE deep dynasty (30 roster spots)), so I sent him and a '21 3rd, for 5.2 (used on Kahale Warring), '20 3rd (ended up being 3.04, I flipped that and Corey Davis for Diontae Johnson and a 4th at the deadline), and a '21 2nd.

We'll see how it turns out, at this point the return is so crazy convoluted it would take a while to parse out.

Agreed. I'm glad to meet someone else who views it this way. I know I got ripped by a few people for saying that "trading is a non-essential part of the game" on another thread. I know a lot of friends who are harder core DFF players than I am who are approaching it this way as well. I've reached the conclusion that the only way these people are ever going to become more reasonable is by having people ignore them and not engage them.
PSA - Haggling is NOT the same as negotiating.

Bam_19
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Bam_19 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:31 pm

My
Aj Brown
Andy Isabella

For
Landry
12 man league
1pt per 20 yards rushing/receiving, 1pt per 50 passing/TD 6 and 4/PPR 0.5/1QB-1RB-3WR-1TE-Flex-DEF-K
QB - Jackson
RB - Mixon - Sanders - J.Hill
WR - Sutton - Aj Brown - Cooks - Hollywood - Harry - Slayton - Whiteside - Campbell - Hardman - C. Davis - Isabella - Ross
TE - Engram - Irv Smith
DEF - Rotating
K - Rotating

dlf_jeffs
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby dlf_jeffs » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:21 pm

ColdZealDonkeyStrike wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:15 am
dlf_jeffs wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:52 pm Woke up this morning to the stellar offer of his Kirk Cousins and Cohen for my Dak...
One QB or 2? Seems like a fine offer in 1QB.
1 QB. Dak was QB2 in our scoring format and Cousins QB16. Cohen RB38. Not horrible but to me it is not worth gaining the RB38 to drop from QB2 to QB16 is all.

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:58 pm

Mephistopheles wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:36 pm
stoneghost28 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:05 am

Agreed. I'm glad to meet someone else who views it this way. I know I got ripped by a few people for saying that "trading is a non-essential part of the game" on another thread. I know a lot of friends who are harder core DFF players than I am who are approaching it this way as well. I've reached the conclusion that the only way these people are ever going to become more reasonable is by having people ignore them and not engage them.
Pretty much. To be sure, I love trading. In fact a couple of years ago when I was talking w/a guy who took over a pretty crap orphan in one of my leagues, I ended up reviewing what I did with an orphan I took over a couple of days before my kid was born , and oh my gosh, I made 49 trades between when I took it over in May of '16 and when I was talking to him in July of '18. It was a total tear down and rebuild, and while I made my share of mistakes here and there, I also won the title in year 3, before falling back to earth this year w/one of the weirdest performances ever (3rd in potential points, just 25 out of 1st, 5th in points scored, and the top scorer in my division, but I also finished 5-8 and missed the playoffs despite having an absolutely insane roster-1000% due to totally incompetent starting lineups chosen by yours truly, plus just a lot of immense bad luck. You have to have a lot of bad luck to fail to make the playoffs w/Chubb/Mixon/Fournette/Guice as your RB's and OBJ/Golladay/Godwin/Juju/Diggs/AJ Brown/Gallup at WR and Kittle at TE, but yours truly figured out a way to go 5-8 with that (and Baker/Darnold/Goff at QB).

Anyway, definitely love to trade, but am not of the mindset to "hondle". It's just not my thing, especially w/people that come from a starting place that is just aggravating.

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:03 pm

dlf_jeffs wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:21 pm
dlf_jeffs wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:52 pm Woke up this morning to the stellar offer of his Kirk Cousins and Cohen for my Dak...
1 QB. Dak was QB2 in our scoring format and Cousins QB16. Cohen RB38. Not horrible but to me it is not worth gaining the RB38 to drop from QB2 to QB16 is all.
It's a bad offer no doubt. An auto reject. Just not bad on the same scale as say, the loon in one of my leagues that would repeatedly offer 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th round rookie picks for 1st's and 2nd round rookie picks for instance.

I could never decide if he was an idiot, or just a jerk, so I made him some offers that would appear attractive to a jerk whose also an idiot, and struck gold with them (landing a 1.06 in '18 and 1.01 and 3.01 in '20 for basically Martavis Bryant (back when the raiders traded for him), a couple of thirds, the 1.11 last summer, and like a 2nd or something (in two separate trades in 2017 and 2018 respectively).
Last edited by stoneghost28 on Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:03 pm

Do you think QB2 and QB16 are the norm for Dak and Cousins respectively though? It wouldn't surprise me if they were right next to each other in rankings next year. I'm not saying take the deal; I also like Dak over Cousins, but it's not a BAD trade offer

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:06 pm

I would say they're normally in the same tier, but Dak is young and Cousins is not (both are also out of contract this year and next respectively). If you want Dak off of someone you need to be adding a legit sweetener and not just a throw in.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:17 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:03 pm

Do you think QB2 and QB16 are the norm for Dak and Cousins respectively though? It wouldn't surprise me if they were right next to each other in rankings next year. I'm not saying take the deal; I also like Dak over Cousins, but it's not a BAD trade offer
x2
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Douglas, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.08,

Mephistopheles
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mephistopheles » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:35 am

stoneghost28 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:58 pm
Pretty much. To be sure, I love trading. In fact a couple of years ago when I was talking w/a guy who took over a pretty crap orphan in one of my leagues, I ended up reviewing what I did with an orphan I took over a couple of days before my kid was born , and oh my gosh, I made 49 trades between when I took it over in May of '16 and when I was talking to him in July of '18. It was a total tear down and rebuild, and while I made my share of mistakes here and there, I also won the title in year 3, before falling back to earth this year w/one of the weirdest performances ever (3rd in potential points, just 25 out of 1st, 5th in points scored, and the top scorer in my division, but I also finished 5-8 and missed the playoffs despite having an absolutely insane roster-1000% due to totally incompetent starting lineups chosen by yours truly, plus just a lot of immense bad luck. You have to have a lot of bad luck to fail to make the playoffs w/Chubb/Mixon/Fournette/Guice as your RB's and OBJ/Golladay/Godwin/Juju/Diggs/AJ Brown/Gallup at WR and Kittle at TE, but yours truly figured out a way to go 5-8 with that (and Baker/Darnold/Goff at QB).

Anyway, definitely love to trade, but am not of the mindset to "hondle". It's just not my thing, especially w/people that come from a starting place that is just aggravating.
I shared this story a couple years ago in another thread but it perfectly sums up trading in DFF leagues today.

My oldest daughter, who has helped me with my DFF leagues since she was about 12 and now plays in about a dozen of her own, flew to visit us a few years ago. She was in her early to mid 20's and, when I met her at the airport, she was wearing a wedding ring.
Asked her if there was something she forgot to tell me.
Her response was, and I'm quoting this verbatim, "Dad, you know how in fantasy football leagues, people randomly send you an unsolicited trade offer and they think you owe them something just because they made an offer, no matter how bad it is? Well, that's what it's like being a single woman in Atlanta. I walk six blocks from the train station to my office and back every day and I get hit on by random creeps who think that, just because they made some stupid crude comment, I owe them a blowjob. Having a wedding ring at least discourages most of them."
A little embarrassing at first, but point taken.

Mentioned her to mention a trade offer she received at the start of this year:

Give: Chris Godwin
Get: LeSean McCoy

Explanation: You need an RB and McCoy will be an RB1 for a few more years. Godwin will never overtake Evans to even be a WR1 on his own team.

Oops.
PSA - Haggling is NOT the same as negotiating.

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: 2019 Bad Trade Offers

Postby Prison_Mike » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:58 pm

Trying to trade for some cheap QB depth (Team 2)

I offered a guy the 3.11 for Haskins - which admittedly is probably a bit low, but I don't think it's far off from what most would pay to acquire Haskins in a 1QB league

He messaged me and said that's not enough for him but agreed that a proper valuation of Haskins is probably a 3rd, I told him I understand passing on my deal since the 3rd is so late.

He then sends me the following offers:

Get: Haskins + 1.08
Give: 1.04

Get: Haskins + 2.08
Give: 1.06

Give: Gallup

(I know these aren't as egregious as many of the posts here, but these are pretty bad right?)

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:08 pm

Prison_Mike wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:58 pm Trying to trade for some cheap QB depth (Team 2)

I offered a guy the 3.11 for Haskins - which admittedly is probably a bit low, but I don't think it's far off from what most would pay to acquire Haskins in a 1QB league

He messaged me and said that's not enough for him but agreed that a proper valuation of Haskins is probably a 3rd, I told him I understand passing on my deal since the 3rd is so late.

He then sends me the following offers:

Get: Haskins + 1.08
Give: 1.04

Give: 1.06

Give: Gallup

(I know these aren't as egregious as many of the posts here, but these are pretty bad right?)
The thing that makes this one bad is the acknowledgement that Haskins is worth a third

Username
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Username » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:16 pm

sugbear65 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:23 am Does this bother you guys that much? I mean I’ll take a “bad offer” any day over the owner that never sends anything and relies on you to make the offers. Think of them less as “bad offers” and more as “conversation starters”. Getting upset or insulted by someone actually taking time to send something over is being pretty thin skinned. Just get over them “feelings” or emotions or whatever it is, and try to find a deal that does work. Or clam up, get pissed, and miss out on a possible trade. That’s an option too I guess.
This!
League 1:
10 Team 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 4FLEX
10 Bench Spots, 2 IR Spots, .5 PPR

QB Prescott, Dimes, Kyler
RB Etienne, Willians (Den)
RB Charbonnet
WR Hodgins, Thornton, Johnston
WR Sutton, Thomas, Mims, Rice
WR Bateman, Collins, Tillman, Obj
TE Kincaid, Mayer, Kittle, Schultz,
IR
2024 1, 1, 1 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4
2025 1, 1, 2, 3, 4

League 2:
10 team PPR start: Superflex, QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, TE, Flex, Flex. 16 bench spots.

QB Jackson, Lawrence, Levis
QB Danny Dimes, Willis, Purdy
RB S. Barkley, C. Akers, N. Harris
RB Z. Moss, AJ Dillon, J. Cook
WR Jamar Chase, Justin Jefferson
WR London, Williams, Pittman
WR Johnston, Mims, Batemen
WR DJ Chark, Hyatt, Tillman
TE P. Freiemuth, K. Pitts
TE Andrews, Musgrave
IR
2024 1, 1, 2, 3
2025 1, 2, 3, 4

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:40 pm

Username wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:16 pm
sugbear65 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:23 am Does this bother you guys that much? I mean I’ll take a “bad offer” any day over the owner that never sends anything and relies on you to make the offers. Think of them less as “bad offers” and more as “conversation starters”. Getting upset or insulted by someone actually taking time to send something over is being pretty thin skinned. Just get over them “feelings” or emotions or whatever it is, and try to find a deal that does work. Or clam up, get pissed, and miss out on a possible trade. That’s an option too I guess.
This!
I don't think anyone here is in their feelings, clammed up, or pissed tbh (I'm certainly not) lol
I think everyone finds these interactions funny (sure there may be some slight frustration, but they also understand that this is all trivial)

I could say the same thing to you:
"Does it really bother you that much that people post about the bad trade offers they've received?"

If I had to guess - Nah, it doesn't truly bother you at all. We're just sharing stories within this ridiculous hobby that we all enjoy lol

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:14 am

Just received this one for team #2 in signature (12 team SF)

I get: M Ingram, M Andrews, G Tate
I send: S Michel, C Sutton, 2020 1.03

yea.... certainly looks like a great deal... for him...
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07