Bench Points

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
heyfeefellskee
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Bench Points

Postby heyfeefellskee » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:08 am

This year, I had a team that was stacked, but taking losses because I didn't start the right player. It's one thing when you have a team where you don't really have a choice of who you can play--you just play your studs. It's another thing when you have more studs at certain positions than you can actually start. That was me this year... and I lost a couple games--and a playoff bye--as a result.

So as per usual, I was exploring different creative options for MFL a couple of weeks ago and saw a setting for allowing "bench points" in your score. You can elect to add a % of the points scored from your bench to your total score every week. I thought this was super interesting.

Adding bench points to scoring--say, allowing for 10% of points scored from the bench--would equate to roughly 1 average flex player in most leagues.

Now, I know that many will suggest I try best ball. I am actually in a few best ball leagues, and while they're fun (and allow for me to not have to worry as much about inactives), I actually enjoy the anxiety of setting a lineup in certain leagues.

I'm also in a few leagues that require pretty deep starting requirements. While those are fun, adding bench points would just be different. To me, it would give some added strategy--owners are not only looking to fill positional holes, but also looking to add general depth to their team. It gives value to players that otherwise wouldn't ever crack your starting lineup.

I personally think it's super interesting, but wanted to know what the board thought.

dark_knite03
Captain
Captain

Re: Bench Points

Postby dark_knite03 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:43 pm

To each his own but not something I'd want in my league. Seems like a reward for being a crappy manager or a participation trophy.
Est '17 12 Team 1PPR 4-Pass 6-Rush/Recieve TD
Start QB RB RB WR WR TE FX FX SF K DL LB DB
Champion 2021.
Geno, Tlaw, M Jones, D.Carr, White
JT, A Jones, Dobbins,Monty,D.Harris, Reyonds
Dillon,Kelley, Warren, Miller, Hill, Penny, Rivers
Diggs, AJB, Jefferson, Chase, Claypool, Juedy, Deebo,WanDale, Mingo, Boutte
Kittle, Andrews,Njoku
Moody

Superflex Est 19' - - Tiered PPR
QB RB RB WR WR WR/RB TE FX SF K D
Dak, Wilson, Watson
Henry, Chubb, ETN, Swift, Gus, Strong, Ford, Spiller, Chandler, Spears
Godwin, DJM , JJ,Kenaan, AJB, Lockett, Austin, Palmer, Boutte
Andrews, Goedert, Juwan, Woods

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:53 pm

It's an interesting idea as a mid point between best ball & traditional lineups. I prefer the classic lineups as finding matchups is part of the strategy for me.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:09 pm

I have never used it like this...but I have been in leagues that used it as a tie-break.

As we seem to be further and further embracing the "points for" definitions of "best team," particularly as it pertains to playoff spots...I wonder if there is a role in using bench points as a component of wildcard playoff selection?
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

captain howdy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby captain howdy » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:13 pm

I think bench points are a good indicator of team strength.

I have had years where I underperformed and thought I had a good squad. Sure enough, right up near the top in bench points.

In my best ball league this year I set the league record in points per season and also had 30% more bench points than the next closest team.

I think looking at bench points...they roughly line up where teams actually finished anyway. I would not want to add them to the scoring in a way to manipulate results.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:39 pm

Play best ball if you want to reward team strength. It's sort an in between, to have bench points. I'd personally prefer 1 format or another, rather than a hybrid like this, but to each their own.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

XclickX
Role Player
Role Player

Postby XclickX » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:06 pm

Submit a vote for adding an extra flex to the starting lineups.

heyfeefellskee
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby heyfeefellskee » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:06 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:39 pm Play best ball if you want to reward team strength. It's sort an in between, to have bench points. I'd personally prefer 1 format or another, rather than a hybrid like this, but to each their own.
Now, I know that many will suggest I try best ball. I am actually in a few best ball leagues, and while they're fun (and allow for me to not have to worry as much about inactives), I actually enjoy the anxiety of setting a lineup in certain leagues.

heyfeefellskee
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby heyfeefellskee » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:06 pm

XclickX wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:06 pm Submit a vote for adding an extra flex to the starting lineups.
I'm also in a few leagues that require pretty deep starting requirements. While those are fun, adding bench points would just be different. To me, it would give some added strategy--owners are not only looking to fill positional holes, but also looking to add general depth to their team. It gives value to players that otherwise wouldn't ever crack your starting lineup.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:30 pm

heyfeefellskee wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:06 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:39 pm Play best ball if you want to reward team strength. It's sort an in between, to have bench points. I'd personally prefer 1 format or another, rather than a hybrid like this, but to each their own.
Sorry, just at work, missed that part.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:34 pm

A cool scoring system might be to have just one flex position be best ball, the rest the lineup as you set it.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:36 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:34 pm A cool scoring system might be to have just one flex position be best ball, the rest the lineup as you set it.
I don’t hate this at all. Also just adding a flex is a good, easy, obvious solution.

I do not like the idea of % PF bench points being played, at all. I’ve leagues where my bench is entirely byes/injuries in a given week. I guess that’s be offset in a deeper league, but.... then it’s a deeper league and you are already avoiding this, imo.

To expand on Pac eddys idea there, I could see it being a cool league where you start say 1QB, 1RB, 2WR, 1TE, have to slot those guys. And then play a best ball for a SF and two Flex on top of that? Dunno if any platform would support something like that though.
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:19 am

Reminds me of the Lucky Dog rule in NASCAR... Dumb bleep that should have stayed in the discussion phase and never seen the light of day.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:04 am

dark_knite03 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:43 pm To each his own but not something I'd want in my league. Seems like a reward for being a crappy manager or a participation trophy.
This is more or less where I fall. Sit/starts are a huge part of the strategy in traditional formats. If your depth is too great to predict accurately, consolidate for a better starting lineup.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06