Misery loves company (2019 edition)

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Misery loves company (2019 edition)

Postby joeday » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:59 pm

It’s the holiday season and that means the end of fantasy football until 2020 (for most of us) and I know misery loves company so I was thinking we could commiserate on decisions or just some bad luck that cost us some championships. No complaints are off limits! Was it a draft pick gone wrong? Maybe a free agency move that didn’t work out? How about an injury at a crucial moment? I’m in 23 leagues, and I won 7 of them, but there is a lot of misery in the others. Here are 8 leagues that I could have either won the championship or at least made it to the title game.

1) Austin Stunners - missed playoffs - in the first round of the draft I debated between Davante Adams and Michael Thomas...I picked the wrong one and if you track my season, there is a strong possibility it cost me the championship.
2) Brookline Sh*t Storm - lost in the first round - I was the underdog going into week 14 and went with the upside play of OBJ instead of ARob. This decision cost me week 14 and eventually cost me the championship.
3) Alex Smith Ruined My College Experience - lost in the semis - would have lost in the finals no matter what but in the semis I debated between Thielen and Perriman and picked the wrong one.
4) Mr. Jim Business - lost in the first round - I lost by less than 10 points due to Mike Evans and Miles Sanders getting hurt (Sanders went to the locker room and Boston Scott got a ton of touches). I would have eventually made it to the finals where I would have lost by a little less than 10.
5) Burger Boss - lost in the first round - was torn all week between Jamison Crowder or AJB. Since I was the favorite I went with the safer play in Crowder. Brown goes off and it cost me the game. I would have made it to, but lost in, the finals.
6) Klunebergs - lost in finals - believe it or not I strongly considered benching Nick Chubb against Baltimore. I can’t say for any certainty who I would have benched him for but it would have been between James Conner, Le’Veon Bell,or Todd Gurley. If I play Bell or Gurley I win.
7) Rapid City Monuments - lost in finals - had concerns about Adam Thielen but played him anyway. Strongly considered playing Larry Fitzgerald over him. Would have won the ship by less than a point.
8) Berlin Bombers - lost in finals - thought about picking up Ryan Fitzpatrick before week 14 to block people since his playoff schedule was so good, but I didn’t. The team that picked him up used him in the finals and beat me. Also picked up the Colts D to block my opponent but played the Steelers instead...that also cost me the championship. To be honest, picking up the Steelers D in week 8 instead of streaming probably cost me.

Number 2 and 4 cost me about 1000 bucks :wall:

Ok, make me feel better...share some of your miseries!
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)
1996 | 2005 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2017 – 🏆
1999 | 2000 | 2019 | 2020 – 🥈

14 team | 4 keepers | non ppr | est. 1996
QB –
RB – Christian McCaffrey | Josh Jacobs
WR – AJ Brown | CeeDee Lamb
TE –

ROCKY MOUNTAIN MASTODONS (0 – 0)
2011 | 2013 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020 – 🏆
2008 | 2012 | 2014 | 2019 – 🥈

12 team | 10 keepers | non ppr | est. 2001
QB – Joe Burrow
RB – Tony Pollard | Kenneth Walker III | Rhamondre Stevenson
WR – Justin Jefferson | Stefon Diggs | DK Metcalf | Tee Higgins | Jameson Williams
TE – Trey McBride

Overall 2024 Regular Season Record: 0 – 0

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Re: Misery loves company (2019 edition)

Postby Pac_Eddy » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:05 pm

Had a good season overall, making the playoffs with all four of my non-rebuild teams. Got massacred in the first round with three losses. Last team died the next week.

Yikes.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
Captain
Captain

Postby qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:02 pm

It's been a terrible year over all, but 2 things I will remember for a while:

1. I lost the chance at 10k in my survivor league when KC screwed up not 1, but 2(!) late game field goals after leading the entire game. Would have been down to 3 from a field of over 300.

2. I lost one of my rare playoff games this season when the clear Brady to Harry TD was not given 2 weeks ago, and the Patriots were out of challenges. Lost by 2, and my team went bananas the next 2 weeks.

(3. I also traded for Conner instead of for Gurley on the same team, because he was cheaper and I thought my team was good enough. Conner got hurt again immediately and gurley went off 3 weeks)

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:28 pm

I almost quit fantasy completely because of my home league. This year concluded year 3. Year 1 and 2 had the same guy win, or should I say fluke, the first 2 chips. This year my team is stacked and went off in the semifinals. His team is half on IR but his remaining players all scored at their ceilings AND he was so desperate he grabbed and played Perriman who had his week 15 explosion. If this guy won the title again I was donzo with fantasy because he's a massive jerk and I really cant stand anything he says. The gloating for a 3rd straight year would have been unbearable.

Fortunately in the finals he was properly sat down with an epic beatdown.

XclickX
Role Player
Role Player

Postby XclickX » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:49 pm

Cost myself a league (redraft) where in the semis at 3:55 pm I took Drake out of flex 2 (he scored like 40) for .... David Johnson. Wtf! I lose by 2 points. I scored more than everyone wk 16 and would have won $1000 more for winning the league than I got for 3rd place. Oh it gets better! My epic screw up I overcame for 3 minutes when Austin Hooper scores the game winning TD at SF in wk 15! Yay me! My opponent is out of players and I’m up 3.8 or something. But the review of the td says it was not a catch! Fml. I lose.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:53 pm

Had 3 first place teams, 28-5, 12-1, and 10-3, and lost 2 finals and won a 3rd place game in which that team had the league high score on the week 14 bye, and the league high week 16 score, sandwiching the week 15 stinker.

Losing Godwin, Cook and Evans (on 2 of them), Carson, DJ Moore,Henry, Stafford (Superflex) etc proved to be too much against the rest of the leagues best competition, who was much healthier than my teams. The injury bug came late this year. On to next year.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:04 pm

Stormed my way to... 2nd place... in both my leagues...

Hopkins, Edelman, Golladay and Ekeler massively disappointed when I needed them most, which is too bad because they were great the majority/most of the year. (Note playoffs in one league are Weeks 14-15.)

Oh well, good but not great years, obviously - playoffs really are a crapshoot, just like IRL.

Always next year! :thumbup:
Last edited by DLF3000 on Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

jetsfan5757
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby jetsfan5757 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:05 pm

Injuries cost me dearly.

Lost Luck (remember him?) and Lamar Miller before season started. Then relatively healthy, but DJ falling off a cliff and getting replaced by Drake (who went off against me in semis), Coleman sucking, Guice getting hurt, and Penny was too much to overcome at RB. Oh yeah, and lost Henry for Championship...

At WR I lost Evans and DJ Moore (and Chark some weeks).

TE lost Hunter Henry early, then OJ Howard...

Top it off, lost JJ Watt in IDP.

All same team in sig...
Dynasty League (25 man rosters + 2 IR, non-PPR scoring. QB/3RB/3WR/2TE/K/DB/LB/DL no flex)

QB (1): Herbert, Lawrence, Darnold
RB (3): N. Chubb, D. Henry, J. Taylor, JK Dobbins, Pollard, Singletary, L. Murray
WR (3): D. Hopkins, D. Adams, M. Evans, D.J. Moore, DJ Chark, B. Aiyuk, J. Smith-Schuster, R Bateman, E. Moore
TE (2): I. Smith Jr, H. Henry, Schultz, Tremble

K (1): M. Crosby

DB (1): J. Adams
LB (1): F. Warner
DL (1): D. Lawrence

PS: I often don't revisit a thread after posting. Send me a message if you ever want further thoughts on a comment I made.

wingnutty
Starter
Starter

Postby wingnutty » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:31 am

Made it to championships in 6 of 8 leagues. Fantastic year! Then, in the championships most of my teams wet the bed and I lost 5 of 6 championships! Was looking at a potential $3,500 payout but ended with $1,200 total. Not bad, but frustrating for sure. "I'll be back"

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:41 am

wingnutty wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:31 am Made it to championships in 6 of 8 leagues. Fantastic year! Then, in the championships most of my teams wet the bed and I lost 5 of 6 championships! Was looking at a potential $3,500 payout but ended with $1,200 total. Not bad, but frustrating for sure. "I'll be back"
That is quite a ride. Damn.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

gmoftheyear
Captain
Captain

Postby gmoftheyear » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:48 pm

Going to come in 2nd overall in my money league. I actually outscored the impending champion in every position except running back. I had 4 or 5 running backs that are all interchangeable and the leader's starters were Mccaffrey and Henry which were 2 of the top running backs this year. So, not able to compete at RB was my only flaw. Plus, an offer to get Aaron Jones at the beginning of the year fell through so that may have made the difference.
QB- R. Wilson, Garoppolo, Fields, Ridder, Rudolph, Hooker
RB- Ekeler, Mostert, Pacheco, Dillon, Dobbins I/R
WR- Metcalf, Pickens, Higgins, DJ Moore
TE- Kincaid, Higbee
K- Aubrey
Def- Denver, Pittsburgh

No PPR, Start 2 QBs, 2 RBS, 2 WRS, 1 TE, 1 FLEX,1 K, 1 DEF/ST. 6 pts all touchdowns
2002 Points Champion, 2007 HTH Champion, 2014 HTH Champion

sebennayx
Rookie
Rookie

Postby sebennayx » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:22 pm

Made the playoffs in all four leagues, ended up winning one (RZ in sig)... should have won another.

My most painful league is BL in sig, which is an empire league. This year I was the #1 seed, points leader, and possible points leader. I ended up losing to the #8 seed on the final TD to Ertz wk14. To make it worse, he only acquired Ertz thanks to a super-stoned owner making an awful trade that was so lopsided it was almost overturned by the league. To make it even worse, a different owner would have been the #8 seed had he seen Julio was out wk13 and played literally any other WR on his roster. To make it yet even worse, I'd have beat any owner every week of the playoffs - including the ship - except that #8 seed wk14. To make it somehow yet even worse, the same thing happened to me last year in that league when I (#1 seed, pts leader) lost to the #8 seed wk14. Finally, to prove the Fantasy Gods hate me; in that same league two years ago, I had the second most points scored and didn't even make the playoffs thanks to week-after-week getting scheduled against the only team who would outscore me. Here's to better luck in the next two years...
ESB | 14tm | 0.5 PPR | TE PPR | 0.5 1st DN
1QB | 2RB | 3WR | 1TE | 2FLEX | 1SF CHAMP
QB: Hurts, Burrow, Purdy+
RB: CMC, JT, Saquon, BRob, Zamir+
WR: Lamb, Davante, Nico, DK, Sutton+
TE: Engram, Goedert, Dulcich+
'24: 5
'25: 3+

MND | 14tm | PPR | TE 1.5PPR
1QB | 2RB | 3WR | 1TE | 2FLEX
QB: Dak, TLaw, ARich
RB: JT, ETN, Ford, Spears+
WR: Waddle, Wilson, JSN, JaMo, Sutton, Downs+
TE: Kittle, Otton+
'24: 2+
'25: 1, 2, 2+

XPCL | 12tm | 0.5 PPFD | 0.5PPR | TE PPR
1QB | 2RB | 3WR | 1TE | 2FLEX | 1SF
QB: Lamar, Purdy, Howell+
RB: Bijan, ETN, Charb, Kendre+
WR: Pittman, Amari, Pickens, Zay, JaMo+
TE: Otton+
'24: 1, 2+
'25: 1, 1, 2+

NRD | 14tm | 0.5 PPFD | 0.5PPR | DEVY
1QB | 2RB | 3WR | 2TE | 1FLEX | 1SF
QB: Fields, Stroud, Kyler
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, KW3, Javonte+
WR: Higgins, Jeudy, Dotson+
TE: Njoku, Granson+
DEVY: Odunze, KJJ, Allar, Klubnik, Owens
'24: 1.02, 1.05, 1.07, 2.05+
'25: 1, 2+

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BigBawseRoss » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:35 am

had a great year and made the title game in 5 leagues (one is this week week 17 bs lol whatever at least im in the money!)

but my misery was i have lost 3 of the 4 title games i played so far and the losses were all brutal let downs from guys that never let me down all year. one team i was going for a 3rd straight title and my opponents team was carried by cmc and kittle and had literal trash elsewhere, i had dak,chubb,henry (mostert in the final), hopkins, KA, Ertz, mixon, boone (yikes he sucked) but usually used either ARob or Edleman and also had Evans all year.

game was projected 140-125 in my favor...final score 76-99

i needed just 2 dudes on my team to show up and not one of them did. i could have won if i played d. washington over boone and if i used kc defense over denver. late season injuries and plug n play title winners suck.

another i lost because wilson and watson were trash. could have won with bench qbs tannehill and brissett.
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

JJRules
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby JJRules » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:52 am

I had the second-highest score of the week in the first round of the playoffs, and of course lost to the top score. A fitting representation of my season, wherein my team scored the third-most points on the year but still ended up 5-8.
10-team Superflex, 0.5 PPR, 15-man rosters, pseudo-dynasty
Keep any number of players (0-15), lose same number of draft picks
2010, 2015, 2020 - 🏆, 2013 - 🥈

QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, SF, FLEX, D/ST

QB: Dak, Watson
RB: Swift, Robinson Jr, Singletary, Brown, Hubbard, Zeus, Herbert
WR: Wilson, Olave, Pickens, Aiyuk
TE: Pitts, LaPorta
D/ST:

ausmith26
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ausmith26 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:18 am

Made the Championship this year and the and it was our big money year that everyone went all in for. Every 4 years there is a $2,800 payout to first place compared to about $700 the other years. I lost by 10 points with Mike Evans on the IR, Chubb, Hopkins, and Cooper all scoring 4 points each, and Wilson deciding he didn't want to go off against one of the worst defensive teams in the league.

If any one of those guys just put out an average scoring game I would have won. I know that's just how fantasy football goes sometimes but those games were painful to watch...
12 Team-1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 1 PK 1 D/ST (30 man offseason rosters. Cut to 20 by week 1 / 0.5 PPR)

2023 2nd Place

QB: P. Mahomes, K. Cousins
RB: Bij. Robinson, K. Williams, D. Henry, N. Chubb, A. Gibson, C. Edwards-Helaire, L. Fournette
WR: J. Chase, C. Lamb, C. Ridley, M. Evans, D. Hopkins, B. Cooks, Z. Jones, T. Atwell, C. Austin III
TE: M. Andrews, C. Otton
PK: J. Tucker
D/ST: Streaming

Taxi:

2024 Picks: 1.01, 2.03, 3.07, 4.03
2025 Picks: 2nd, 4th
2026 Picks: 1st, 1st, 3rd, 4th