How will your league change with a 17 game schedule?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
gabes1919
Rookie
Rookie

Re: How will your league change with a 17 game schedule?

Postby gabes1919 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:43 am

My leagues won't be changing because the 17 game schedule isn't going to happen. The NFL and owners can mandate that ESPN and the twitter talking heads stroke this CBA proposal up all they want, it doesn't change that the 17 game change is a bad deal for the players in almost every way. All those "concessions" won't blind the players to the fact that the owners will make a boat load off the extra regular season and playoff games while A. paying the players less per game than they had been previously and B. putting players at risk for even more injury. If the NFLPA and the players approve this, they deserve the abuse they are going to get.
12 Team SF PPR
Start: QRRWWWTFFS
QB: Jackson, Garoppolo, Herbert, Griffin III, Taylor, Mullens
RB: Chubb, Kamara, Washington, Swift
WR: Godwin, Lockett, Boyd, Metcalf, T.Williams, Pascal, Stills, A.Tate, Jeudy
TE: Waller, Griffin, Ebron, Herndon
2021 Picks: 3 1sts, 2 2nds, 3rd, 4th

12 Team SF PPR
Start: QRRWWWTFFS
QB: Wilson, Brissett, Fitzpatrick, Herbert, Tagovailoa, Rivers, Mariota, PJ.Walker
RB: Gurley, Dobbins, Edwards, Hines, Du.Johnson, J.Williams
WR: Thomas, C.Ridley, Boyd, T.Higgins, Pittman, R.Higgins, Pascal, C.Phillips, D.Williams
TE: Higbee, Eifert
2020 done
2021 Picks: 2 1sts, 2 2nds, 4th

14 Team SF PPR
Start: QRRWWWTFFFS
QB: Wilson, Fitzpatrick, Tayor, Griffin III, PJ.Walker
RB: Chubb, Mixon, Ekeler, D.Montgomery, Drake, Burkhead, Collins
WR: Smith-Schuster, Metcalf, Renfrow, Aghelor, Gordon, D.Williams, Taylor, C.Phillips
TE: Higbee, Eifert
No 2020/2021 picks

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:49 am

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:37 pm 32 teams x 16 games = 512
32 teams x 17 games = 544

That's a 6.13% increase in games, while the players get an extra 1.5% of additional league revenue. Good job NFLPA! (Sidenote, i realize NFL revenue consists of more than just regular season games. But the regular season consists of the vast majority of revenue...)

:lol:

bleep morons, all of them. The Owners, the NFLPA, the fans. This league should take a long hard look at NASCAR and how they shot themselves in the foot REPEATEDLY in the early 2000s chasing more revenue and new fans, while losing their base.

I'm not vehemently opposed to adding another Wildcard game in each Conference. It's not necessary and I think it dilutes the playoffs. But it's not a comical farce of a decision like adding a 17th game, which not only flies contrary to the concept of protecting players, but it skews the competitive balance of regular season schedules as teams play one more or one less home game than some of their opponents.

The league should focus on its product, which is struggling with questionable rules regarding what is and what is not a catch and with terribly inconsistent and questionable officating. The league should also allow teams to practice more during the off-season, so as to deliver a better product in the first few weeks of the regular season. Let's be real here, September is a bleep of incompetence for many teams.
I actually think a 17 game schedule and 2 more playoff teams makes sense. We always hate the preseason as a complete waste. The players want more money just like the owners. This helps both sides although the owners lose the 100% revenue of losing a preseason game.

The CBA owners approval was based on both sides negotiating a document for 10 years for labor peace. Given pro sports like NBA 82 games or Baseball 162 games adding one game while reducing a completely meaningless preseason game is not a big ask. I am good with only the top team getting Bye from the AFC and NFC which is exactly what would happen by adding 2 teams so the playoffs would not be lengthened.

My take is this will ultimately be approved as it will put more money in all pockets. If not then they will play as is this season with the owners getting an extra tag then fight it out next year but the gains won't change much in the end.

This is an excerpt from the article on NFL

"If the league keeps a 16-game schedule, the players would enjoy a $2.5 billion to $3 billion shift over a 10-year deal, Pelissero and Rapoport reported. If the lever is pulled for a 17-game schedule, the players would reap a potential shift of over $5 billion."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... al-new-cba

The players could reject the longer season but if they do then it looks like the basic agreement could still be in place but they would then lose the increased revenue over that 10 years. Looks like pretty smart negotiating tactics by both sides.

Officiating is a separate issue altogether dealing with a separate union. Yes it is a problem but that contract runs through 2026.

The real issues are judgement calls IMO. Pass interference in particular is so subjective the penalties on both sides should be equal IMO as in a 10-15 yard penalty. Bad calls will always be a part of the game. The reality is there is some rules infraction on almost every single play like holding or contact beyond 5 yards and with replay we see them all.

The league may have gone overboard on protecting QB's based on inadvertent contact.

The game is so fast calls will be missed or penalties called that really didn't happen. Reviewing all penalties certainly isn't the answer either.

Even with the obvious pitfalls, viewership was up 5% last season which is the most in the last 3 years.

Fantasy wise, I doubt leagues for the foreseeable future will increase their schedules by a week.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:52 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:34 pm
bjd5211 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:27 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:14 pm NFL players, including the Players Union rep Calais Campbell said almost none of the players are in favour of the 17 game schedule, and it will be the biggest sticking point of the new CBA.
It might not happen this CBA, but it's coming eventually. The owners want it too much, and the NFLPA historically caves during CBA negotiations because players panic about missing paychecks. The owners will find the right carrot to dangle to get the players to agree at some point.
Finding 32 neutral sites that meet their standards could be tough. If they give some teams an extra home game each season, they don't deserve to be called a real league, so I don't understand how they deal with that issue. I personally don't think it's going to happen this time around.
It's happening.

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:28 am

gabes1919 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:43 am My leagues won't be changing because the 17 game schedule isn't going to happen. The NFL and owners can mandate that ESPN and the twitter talking heads stroke this CBA proposal up all they want, it doesn't change that the 17 game change is a bad deal for the players in almost every way. All those "concessions" won't blind the players to the fact that the owners will make a boat load off the extra regular season and playoff games while A. paying the players less per game than they had been previously and B. putting players at risk for even more injury. If the NFLPA and the players approve this, they deserve the abuse they are going to get.
This didnt age well.

Damn life is coming at us sports fans fans right now
QB - DWatson(HOU)Minshew(JAX)Darnold(NYJ)
RB -NChubb(CLE)DHenry(TEN)JTaylor(IND)Gurley(ATL)
WR -DHopkins(ARI)ACooper(DAL)CGodwin(TB)OBJ(CLE)
TE - HHenry(SD)DGoeddart(PHI)
K - Zurlien(LAR)Crosby(GB)
Def - ARI DAL
[rookie] Haskins(WAS)DSwift(DET)Jefferson(MIN)MHardman(KC)
7th pick in 2021

Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players don't take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd-year players that were drafted

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:10 pm

As expected.

Not sure my leagues will change anything.
12 Team | SF | PPR | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Burrow
RB |
WR | Puka, Olave, Smith, Flowers, Dotson, Addison
TE | Pitts, Otton, Bellinger, Likely, Okonkwo
2024 | 1.01, 1.02, 4.01, 5.01
| 1stx3, 3rdx3

10 Team | SF | PPR | 2023 Champ
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Allen, Stroud, Young
RB | K Williams, White, Monty, Herbert, Chandler
WR | Lamb, AJB, Puka, Waddle, Mooney, J. Williams, Watson, Davis
TE | Andrews, Bellinger, Dulcich
2024 | 1.04, 3.10

12 Team | SF | PPR | 1.5TEP | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, FL, SF

QB | Herbert Lance
RB | ETN, Pacheco, K Williams, Singletary, Henry, A Jones, Warren
WR | ARSB, Wilson, Olave, DK, Puka, Flowers, Downs,
TE | Hockenson, Likely, Otton

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:23 pm

My leagues will change because I probably won't be in them in 2021.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:25 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:23 pm My leagues will change because I probably won't be in them in 2021.
You too eh?
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:46 pm

Orenthal Shames wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:25 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:23 pm My leagues will change because I probably won't be in them in 2021.
You too eh?
I'm paid up through 2020, and 2021 in a league I co commish. I am not a fan of the new CBA and the direction the NFL is going. It's quite possible. I need some time to process it, but the NFL is the last pro sports league I still actively follow, and it may be coming to an end soon.

UATahoe
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby UATahoe » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:55 pm

Just curious. Why is it that big of an issue? Maybe j in am just missing the giant significance. Or has that sentiment been brewing for a while?
12 Team PPR League 1Qb 2Rb 3Wr 1Flex 1Te 1Def 1K

1 QB Mahomes, Dak Prescott
2 RB Mixon, Kamara, Melvin Gordon, Nick Chubb, Royce Freeman, Justice Hill, Boston Scott, Ito Smith
3 WR Godwin, K. Allen, A. Cooper, S. Watkins, DJ Moore, Michael Gallup, Kelvin Harmon, Martavis Bryant, Core Coleman(IR) Preston Williams(IR)
1 TE Mark Andrews, H. Henry, H. Hurst, Ian Thomas, Goedert
D/ST Bears
K Zane Gonzalez

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:00 pm

UATahoe wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:55 pm Just curious. Why is it that big of an issue? Maybe j in am just missing the giant significance. Or has that sentiment been brewing for a while?
The NFL is just getting too greedy for my liking. The cramming in of commercials that makes games nearly impossible to watch live, the constant posturing that happens on the field puts me off, the added game for more money at the expense of league integrity. The hypocrisy of "player safety" while lengthening a season that is already riddled with injuries. The idea of a league that gives more home games to half the league than the other half is absurd. No league does that, and for good reason. Meanwhile their officiating is a hot mess, and they refuse to address it adequately. Rule changes that I don't think benefit the game, and all the replay that makes the games even longer, and doesn't benefit the game. This new CBA will make for more games a poorer quality. Removing an already light practice schedule and making it substantially lighter, just to get an extra game in. They will make money providing an inferior product. It has been brewing for a while for me, yes.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:41 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:46 pm
Orenthal Shames wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:25 pm
You too eh?
I'm paid up through 2020, and 2021 in a league I co commish. I am not a fan of the new CBA and the direction the NFL is going. It's quite possible. I need some time to process it, but the NFL is the last pro sports league I still actively follow, and it may be coming to an end soon.
I haven't followed it closely, aside from the main talking points. A 10 year agreement sounded like a bad deal for the players.

I rarely even watch sports at this point, so if it ends badly for fantasy purposes, I'll be right there with you.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:59 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:00 pm
The NFL is just getting too greedy for my liking. The cramming in of commercials that makes games nearly impossible to watch live, the constant posturing that happens on the field puts me off, the added game for more money at the expense of league integrity. The hypocrisy of "player safety" while lengthening a season that is already riddled with injuries. The idea of a league that gives more home games to half the league than the other half is absurd. No league does that, and for good reason. Meanwhile their officiating is a hot mess, and they refuse to address it adequately. Rule changes that I don't think benefit the game, and all the replay that makes the games even longer, and doesn't benefit the game. This new CBA will make for more games a poorer quality. Removing an already light practice schedule and making it substantially lighter, just to get an extra game in. They will make money providing an inferior product. It has been brewing for a while for me, yes.
:thumbup:

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:01 pm

Damn starting to sound like "in my day" type talk here, no game ever stays the same, fully respect people who lose interest because of this though. I'll continue playing as my only other option is to do something worth while with my time and like hell that's going to happen.

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:33 pm

My big problem isnt the 17th game it's the extra 2 playoff teams. I loved how right from week 1 teams were more or less in just wins. Going 0-2 meant you had an 88% chance of missing the playoffs. The season kind of grabbed you by the balls immediately, but still danged enough hope that you were never mathematically out until much later.

Now almost half the league will make it, really takes the urgency away IMO
QB - DWatson(HOU)Minshew(JAX)Darnold(NYJ)
RB -NChubb(CLE)DHenry(TEN)JTaylor(IND)Gurley(ATL)
WR -DHopkins(ARI)ACooper(DAL)CGodwin(TB)OBJ(CLE)
TE - HHenry(SD)DGoeddart(PHI)
K - Zurlien(LAR)Crosby(GB)
Def - ARI DAL
[rookie] Haskins(WAS)DSwift(DET)Jefferson(MIN)MHardman(KC)
7th pick in 2021

Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players don't take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd-year players that were drafted

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:13 pm

MrUbuto wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:33 pm My big problem isnt the 17th game it's the extra 2 playoff teams. I loved how right from week 1 teams were more or less in just wins. Going 0-2 meant you had an 88% chance of missing the playoffs. The season kind of grabbed you by the balls immediately, but still danged enough hope that you were never mathematically out until much later.

Now almost half the league will make it, really takes the urgency away IMO
Another good point. IMO the NFL had a really good structure, and greed has taken that away. 18 games will be next. The players have shown they have no backbone, and short of the star players, who basically all voted no, and the 48.5 percent who voted no striking, they will never have any leverage in these matters.