How will your league change with a 17 game schedule?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: How will your league change with a 17 game schedule?

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:29 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:25 pm Depends on how badly the owners want it, if they are willing to lock the players out into the regular season then the NFLPA will probably fold pretty quick because a lot of players will not like/be able to afford missing game checks.
I think it goes both ways. I don't think the owners want a lockout. They don't want lost revenue, either. They are the highest profitable league, and they don't want to ruffle the fans feathers. I am not sure the players would cave so easily. I personally would stop supporting the NFL if the owners locked the players out over this.
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:29 pm

Or if the owners are smart this is all one big public ruse to get something else they really want, and they're planning on using this 17 game schedule push as a big concession on their end to trade for the players lightening their demands on something completely different.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:31 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:29 pm Or if the owners are smart this is all one big public ruse to get something else they really want, and they're planning on using this 17 game schedule push as a big concession on their end to trade for the players lightening their demands on something completely different.
It very well could be. A red herring of sorts.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:32 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:29 pm
bjd5211 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:25 pm Depends on how badly the owners want it, if they are willing to lock the players out into the regular season then the NFLPA will probably fold pretty quick because a lot of players will not like/be able to afford missing game checks.
I think it goes both ways. I don't think the owners want a lockout. They don't want lost revenue, either. They are the highest profitable league, and they don't want to ruffle the fans feathers. I am not sure the players would cave so easily. I personally would stop supporting the NFL if the owners locked the players out over this.
The general public always ends up turning on the players during lockouts when it's getting close to threatening the season, just as they blame the players during holdouts. The league and owners will survive and recover from any bad press over a lockout, but a lot of players won't handle losing paychecks as easily.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:38 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:32 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:29 pm
The general public always ends up turning on the players during lockouts when it's getting close to threatening the season, just as they blame the players during holdouts. The league and owners will survive and recover from any bad press over a lockout, but a lot of players won't handle losing paychecks as easily.
Well, I won't. Like I said, they lock them out and force a 17 game schedule, I'm out, as a fan. The NFL is the last North American sports league I follow, and over the last few years, some of the things they are doing are trying my patience. This would be enough for me to stop giving my money to them in any way.

I remember a few years back, Mark Cuban said he foresaw an NFL ‘implosion’ of greed. He also said it was accelerating. I tend to agree with him, and although I am just one fan, a lockout would be the last straw for me, if the owners chose to do that to get what they wanted in this regard.

Baseball never recovered from a lockout. It's the last thing any league wants. Hopefully it won't come to that.

Ray Finkle
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ray Finkle » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:01 am

I don’t like the idea for the NFL. 17 weeks is plenty for me as a fan.

However, it would even things out for my league...14 regular season games (2 games x3 division opponents + 1 game x8 non division opponents) with the bowl in week 17...assuming a 19 week schedule Currently we do not play 1 non division opponent so it would be nice to satisfying that.

So, fantasy football not considered, I’m against any kind of expansion. But for fantasy football purposes, to hell with it, let’s do it. Fantasy is essentially the only reason I’m hanging on as a fan these days anyhow.

sjcourtney56
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Possible 17 game season

Postby sjcourtney56 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:24 pm

I was just curious and wanted to bring a discussion to this board about the proposal for the 17 game season and how that may or may not affect our fantasy football leagues.

Certainly it would change the season structure and playoff schedule, but beyond that we are talking about an additional week of wear and tear on guys or more rest for guys during the season to account for the extra work. Would this development lead to a value decline in running backs as they would possibly be rested (moreso than a wr) or does the additional work lead to a quicker decline of the career of a bellcow back?
Just thinking out loud basically and wanted to see if this board had any thoughts on the possible change.
Team:
QB = Matt Ryan, Cam Newton, Andy Dalton
RB = Todd Gurley, Dalvin Cook, Alvin Kamara, Kareem Hunt, James Robinson Lemical Perine
WR = Michael Thomas, Stefon Diggs, Mike Evans, JuJu Smith-Schuster, AJ Brown, CeeDee Lamb, N'Keal Harry, Sammy Watkins,
TE = OJ Howard, Mark Andrews, Ian Thomas, Eric Ebron

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Re: Possible 17 game season

Postby bjd5211 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:31 pm

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:49 pm

Hell, change it to 2 pre season, 18 regular games, 16 playoff teams. Give them 2 bye weeks, no 3! As long as they are all before fantasy playoffs, it doesn't make a difference... More football is great to me. Even number of games, more regular games, what could be better?

Big Al
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Big Al » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:18 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:49 pm Hell, change it to 2 pre season, 18 regular games, 16 playoff teams. Give them 2 bye weeks, no 3! As long as they are all before fantasy playoffs, it doesn't make a difference... More football is great to me. Even number of games, more regular games, what could be better?
This makes more sense. The uneven games seems more complicated with one team having one more road/home game in preseason and regular season. Also the random opponent will be interesting to see.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:37 pm

32 teams x 16 games = 512
32 teams x 17 games = 544

That's a 6.13% increase in games, while the players get an extra 1.5% of additional league revenue. Good job NFLPA! (Sidenote, i realize NFL revenue consists of more than just regular season games. But the regular season consists of the vast majority of revenue...)

:lol:

bleep morons, all of them. The Owners, the NFLPA, the fans. This league should take a long hard look at NASCAR and how they shot themselves in the foot REPEATEDLY in the early 2000s chasing more revenue and new fans, while losing their base.

I'm not vehemently opposed to adding another Wildcard game in each Conference. It's not necessary and I think it dilutes the playoffs. But it's not a comical farce of a decision like adding a 17th game, which not only flies contrary to the concept of protecting players, but it skews the competitive balance of regular season schedules as teams play one more or one less home game than some of their opponents.

The league should focus on its product, which is struggling with questionable rules regarding what is and what is not a catch and with terribly inconsistent and questionable officating. The league should also allow teams to practice more during the off-season, so as to deliver a better product in the first few weeks of the regular season. Let's be real here, September is a bleep of incompetence for many teams.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:00 pm

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:37 pm 32 teams x 16 games = 512
32 teams x 17 games = 544

That's a 6.13% increase in games, while the players get an extra 1.5% of additional league revenue. Good job NFLPA! (Sidenote, i realize NFL revenue consists of more than just regular season games. But the regular season consists of the vast majority of revenue...)

:lol:

bleep morons, all of them. The Owners, the NFLPA, the fans. This league should take a long hard look at NASCAR and how they shot themselves in the foot REPEATEDLY in the early 2000s chasing more revenue and new fans, while losing their base.

I'm not vehemently opposed to adding another Wildcard game in each Conference. It's not necessary and I think it dilutes the playoffs. But it's not a comical farce of a decision like adding a 17th game, which not only flies contrary to the concept of protecting players, but it skews the competitive balance of regular season schedules as teams play one more or one less home game than some of their opponents.

The league should focus on its product, which is struggling with questionable rules regarding what is and what is not a catch and with terribly inconsistent and questionable officating. The league should also allow teams to practice more during the off-season, so as to deliver a better product in the first few weeks of the regular season. Let's be real here, September is a bleep of incompetence for many teams.
Totally agree. The owners have approved the new CBA. Not surprising. TBH, as I have stated on our private board, if the NFL goes to a 17 game schedule with 7 playoff teams, I will probably stop following the NFL. It's the last pro sport I follow with any regularity, and I find the length of games, commercial time outs, and constant player posturing over making a simple tackle or first down increasingly tiresome. I think Mark Cuban was on to something a few years back when speaking about the NFL's "implosion of greed". I won't blindly follow, and if they spend their time making more injuries and more games, as opposed to improving the quality of their product, I'll check out. They are still the only major pro league without full time officials, to my knowledge, despite having the most revenue, and it seems the NFL is the only pro league with constant conversation about officiating problems.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:13 am

I'm not too against the extra playoff team either, but when they said the extra teams this year would've been the Steelers and the Rams, well that didn't exactly sound exciting.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:09 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:57 pm What would happen if the 2nd bye for teams was in the last few weeks? That would mess up the entire FF landscape. Typically playoffs start after the bye's. Imagine going into a playoff matchup with 4 starters on a bye....plus all the injuries that are typical at this time of year.
That'll be a huge issue if byes aren't all wrapped up by week 14. You'd think they'd take fantasy into consideration, being it's a billion dollar business and huge driver of interest.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Downs, Mims, Douglas, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.08, 1.14, 2nd x2

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:52 am

Orenthal Shames wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:09 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:57 pm What would happen if the 2nd bye for teams was in the last few weeks? That would mess up the entire FF landscape. Typically playoffs start after the bye's. Imagine going into a playoff matchup with 4 starters on a bye....plus all the injuries that are typical at this time of year.
That'll be a huge issue if byes aren't all wrapped up by week 14. You'd think they'd take fantasy into consideration, being it's a billion dollar business and huge driver of interest.
I would think they keep the bye week structure very close to the same. Say it's a 20 week season with 2 byes. I'd think it would be very easy to set up teams byes more between weeks 4 and 15 with each bye for a team being a month apart. That gives the first 3 weeks and last 5 weeks of the season no bye teams, as it is now. Teams could be off weeks 5 and 10 or 10 and 15 or a mix in between. This isn't that hard