Baker mayfield

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Baker mayfield

Postby Blueboy » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:21 pm

I think we're understating both how difficult it is for QBs to change footwork this late in their career, and how much it could improve/wreck Mayfield's immediate development.

For a lot of last season, he was adding at least one extra (pointless) step to his dropbacks. That was as much to blame for horrendous protection as the bad O-line, it made blockers who were already outmatched have to hold their assignments for at least an extra half second. That might not seem like a lot, but it really is. I'd call him a buy, but not for those who are risk averse.

12-team SF, PPR, TE premium, 0.25 PPCarry
1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1SF 4Flex
QB: Mahomes, Fields, Love
RB: Bijan, ETN, Pollard, Achane, Herbert
WR: Kupp, Hill, Metcalf, Ridley, Jeudy, D.J. M, Burks, Hollywood, Wan'Dale
TE: Kyle Pitts, Goedert

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:22 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 2:45 pm
IZigUZag wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 2:43 pm
Cult of Dionysus wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:21 am Baker wasn't a 1st round prospect until his final season.
Is this sarcasm?
No that part is true for the most part. I don’t remember Baker getting first round talk until he beat Ohio State
I tend to think this is accurate, if I recall correctly.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:56 am

Baker is not looking good. I am starting to think he may not be a starter for a 2nd contract. He still has time to turn it around, but he needs to start doing that, soon. Maybe a date with the Bengals is what the doctor ordered.

Factory of Sadness
Starter
Starter

Postby Factory of Sadness » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:17 am

I was excited about him, but the two worries right now are the kind that can kill a QB's career. He doesn't look decisive about where to go with the ball and when. He isn't throwing an accurate ball. 'Talent' is an amorphous concept, but getting it out on time to the right guy and putting it where you want it is 99% of how you'd measure it for a QB. He seems less certain about the first than when he started and is strangely becoming less and less accurate.
He isn't under huge pressure and has talented guys who get open, so we're not looking at Darnold's situation here. The Daniel Jones of the Steelers game has more pressure and smaller windows than Baker against the Jets, hugely so, yet he made throwing the ball to your guy and hitting him look pretty straightforward for most of the game. Baker made completing passes look like hard work...
It might be a good idea to move him as soon as he has a good game against a bad D.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:05 am

So glad I sold high in one league. Other share is still tanking but I'll hold until his value goes back up... If it ever does

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:08 am

Jigga94 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:05 am So glad I sold high in one league. Other share is still tanking but I'll hold until his value goes back up... If it ever does
Well, if he can pull a good game together tonight, that would be the time. That Washington DL coming up week 3 looks unsettling.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:32 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:08 am
Jigga94 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:05 am So glad I sold high in one league. Other share is still tanking but I'll hold until his value goes back up... If it ever does
Well, if he can pull a good game together tonight, that would be the time. That Washington DL coming up week 3 looks unsettling.
I don't think anyone's going to buy after 1 good game when the previous 17 have been collectively bad

ManuManu
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby ManuManu » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:32 am

Sold him for a Jonnu Smith in a 1QB league and was happy to get out while I could.
Team 1, 10-team 0.5-PPR
QB (1): Richardson, Watson, Purdy
RB (2-3): Walker, Swift, Dobbins, R. White, Mitchell, Gainwell
WR (3-4): Hill, Godwin, Aiyuk, Flowers, N. Collins, Doubs, M. Wilson, Shakir
TE (1-2): McBride, Goedert, Okonkwo

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:22 am

I’ll be the contrarian here. It’s WAY too early to give up on Mayfield. He’s on now his 4th HC in just starting his 3rd year, including 2 of the worst and dumbest coaches in recent memories in that bunch. Despite that he showed some very real potential his rookie year in breaking the rookie TD record while not even playing a full season. Then last year he got an incredibly poor O line to go with the incredibly crappy HC and looked shell shocked early and often.

The guy has the arm talent, the smarts, and the attitude. He just needs to settle in and get comfortable with a much better team and coach around him now. The COVID PS didn’t help with his getting acclimated at all. People have thrown roadblocks in front of him and dismissed him his whole life, and he made it his mission to prove them wrong and accomplished it to date. I’m thinking it’s much too early to discard him now. QB still has the steepest learning curve in the NFL and now he’s finally got some stability and talent surrounding him. Let’s see how he progresses as the season moves on.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:34 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:22 am I’ll be the contrarian here. It’s WAY too early to give up on Mayfield.
I get what you are saying, but the reality of the NFL today is players are expected to contribute and play well earlier, and getting high end production out of a highly drafted QB while he's still on his rookie deal is very important in todays landscape. So yes Baker shouldn't be completely given up on, but he is rapidly approaching the that point if he doesn't turn it around.

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:35 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:22 am I’ll be the contrarian here. It’s WAY too early to give up on Mayfield. He’s on now his 4th HC in just starting his 3rd year, including 2 of the worst and dumbest coaches in recent memories in that bunch. Despite that he showed some very real potential his rookie year in breaking the rookie TD record while not even playing a full season. Then last year he got an incredibly poor O line to go with the incredibly crappy HC and looked shell shocked early and often.

The guy has the arm talent, the smarts, and the attitude. He just needs to settle in and get comfortable with a much better team and coach around him now. The COVID PS didn’t help with his getting acclimated at all. People have thrown roadblocks in front of him and dismissed him his whole life, and he made it his mission to prove them wrong and accomplished it to date. I’m thinking it’s much too early to discard him now. QB still has the steepest learning curve in the NFL and now he’s finally got some stability and talent surrounding him. Let’s see how he progresses as the season moves on.
Agreed. Plus in addition they just tried to tweak his footwork I believe. Trying to change that combined with everyone telling him what to do at the same time his head just has to look like a circus. There comes a point the dude just has to shut out everyone and everything and just play the game the way he knows how. He obviously could do it at Oklahoma, but right now he's in his own head.
10-Team Dynasty League QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/FLEX (23 man rosters + 2 IR + 2 Taxi, non-PPR scoring)
QB: Herbert, Goff
RB: Bijan, JT, Saquon, J.Cook, K.Hunt, Foreman, Z.White, McKinnon, S.Tucker
WR: G.Wilson, Olave, Jeudy, Pittman, J.Williams, OBJ, N. Brown, JuJu,
TE: Chig, Conklin, L. Thomas
Taxi: M.Mims, Ro. Johnson
'24: (4) 1sts, 2nd, (2) 3rds, 4th
'25: (2) 1sts, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:12 am

I like Baker the QB, but I think the Browns organization is one of the worst in football, starting with the owner. Mayfield doesn't have much of a chance until he's on a different team. There are reasons to get excited every off season, but Cleveland is a house built on sand.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:13 am

ManuManu wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:32 am Sold him for a Jonnu Smith in a 1QB league and was happy to get out while I could.
I got out in my 1 QB league as well. By dropping him lol.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:31 am

Yeah, things don't look good for Baker. I'm not sure why a bunch of posters are making excuses to him. He likely has the best supporting cast in the league... The Browns surrounded him with OBJ, Landry, Hunt, and Hooper via trade and invested high draft picks into Chubb and the online. I don't think you could surround a young QB with better talent. I get he has a lot of coaching changes, but he is just overthrowing guys, throwing behind them, and just flat out looking bad. I don't know if he will turn it around, he seems to be overthinking everything, he's in his own head. I would likely trade him for a 2nd in the one league I own him, but not sure I could get that for him now.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:34 am

thebeast wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:31 am Yeah, things don't look good for Baker. I'm not sure why a bunch of posters are making excuses to him. He likely has the best supporting cast in the league... The Browns surrounded him with OBJ, Landry, Hunt, and Hooper via trade and invested high draft picks into Chubb and the online. I don't think you could surround a young QB with better talent. I get he has a lot of coaching changes, but he is just overthrowing guys, throwing behind them, and just flat out looking bad. I don't know if he will turn it around, he seems to be overthinking everything, he's in his own head. I would likely trade him for a 2nd in the one league I own him, but not sure I could get that for him now.
His confidence (and accuracy) has vanished.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06