Baker mayfield

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Baker mayfield

Postby Blueboy » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:31 am

The author would've been much better off picking someone like Mahomes rather than Lamar. I don't think Pat had nearly as many commercials this season? Or maybe his were just less annoying so I didn't notice.
Last edited by Blueboy on Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

12-team SF, PPR, TE premium, 0.25 PPCarry
1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1SF 4Flex
QB: Mahomes, Fields, Love
RB: Bijan, ETN, Pollard, Achane, Herbert
WR: Kupp, Hill, Metcalf, Ridley, Jeudy, D.J. M, Burks, Hollywood, Wan'Dale
TE: Kyle Pitts, Goedert

Ray Finkle
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ray Finkle » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:37 am

Valhalla wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:45 am Oh boy...
Yes, Baker got far more of an endorsement push heading into this season. So let’s remember:

Mayfield was one of the most efficient passers in college football history, came in as the #1 pick, and had a very good looking rookie year, turning around a Browns franchise that hadn’t looked capable in a LONG time. His team then traded for Beckham, fueling the hype of what could happen with that offense. Of COURSE people will want him endorsing their product.

Jackson came in as a prolific runner and raw (by nfl standards) passer. He was the last pick in the first round I believe. He looked raw his rookie year. Their hyped team move was to bring in...Mark Ingram. Jackson had some intrigue, but what he did as a passer was totally unexpected by most everyone.

But I’m sure all the endorsements this columnist is complaining about (commercials that AREN’T typically made in season) are only because Baker is a spoiled white kid and Jackson isn’t.
You and your stinking logic.

What a ridiculous article. Of course these companies wanted a piece of Baker. Us knuckleheads wanted a piece too and were drafting him as a top 3 or 4 dynasty QB.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:56 pm

Valhalla wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:45 am
ArrylT wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:59 pm
Weknownothing86 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:04 am Mayfield (who i cant stand and is annoying and arrogant) was criticized and laughed at a ton this season while Lamar (who i love) was adored from all over. What is this lady talking about?
I believe that author is talking from a $ / endorsement standpoint

For example this article states Lamar has no endorsement deals with any major companies at the moment.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/business/b ... story.html

"Jackson, who is expected to be named MVP when the award is announced Saturday, in advance of the Super Bowl on Sunday night, remains unaffiliated with any major brand, apparel or otherwise. "

Meanwhile

https://fanbuzz.com/nfl/baker-mayfield-net-worth/

Mayfield is the focus of several Progressive commercials along with his wife, Emily Wilkinson. He also has massive deals with Nike, BodyArmor, Nissan, Hulu, Amazon, Panini America and Allen Edmonds that are definitely boosting his net worth, but it’s an in-depth money management team that’s driving Mayfield’s long-term success.
Oh boy...
Yes, Baker got far more of an endorsement push heading into this season. So let’s remember:

Mayfield was one of the most efficient passers in college football history, came in as the #1 pick, and had a very good looking rookie year, turning around a Browns franchise that hadn’t looked capable in a LONG time. His team then traded for Beckham, fueling the hype of what could happen with that offense. Of COURSE people will want him endorsing their product.

Jackson came in as a prolific runner and raw (by nfl standards) passer. He was the last pick in the first round I believe. He looked raw his rookie year. Their hyped team move was to bring in...Mark Ingram. Jackson had some intrigue, but what he did as a passer was totally unexpected by most everyone.

But I’m sure all the endorsements this columnist is complaining about (commercials that AREN’T typically made in season) are only because Baker is a spoiled white kid and Jackson isn’t.
Agree or disagree with the writers stance, my only comment is really what I said before, and that if this narrative picks up steam (the what has Mayfield actually done in the NFL), then it could continue to make him a viable buy low.

Re: endorsements I honestly do not pay much attention to what player(s) have what endorsements or when they got them. I was a little surprised to learn Lamar Jackson had no major endorsements yet, considering, even if he was raw (by NFL standards) as a QB, he still had a very strong college resume.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:10 pm

Lamar didn't have them in large part because he turned them down to focus on football. Baker meanwhile was one of the main (if not the #1) players the League really wanted marketed this year and so they pushed for him to get a lot of the commercials he did. I'm sure we'll see more of Lamar next year after his MVP performance and becoming arguably the most must watch player in the league.

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:37 am

bjd5211 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:10 pm Lamar didn't have them in large part because he turned them down to focus on football. Baker meanwhile was one of the main (if not the #1) players the League really wanted marketed this year and so they pushed for him to get a lot of the commercials he did. I'm sure we'll see more of Lamar next year after his MVP performance and becoming arguably the most must watch player in the league.
That isn't true and hasn't been reported by anybody reputable. Nobody (including his own fanbase) really knew what to think of Lamar Jackson after his rookie season so the endorsement companies weren't knocking down his door. Combine that with coming from a basketball school and not playing prime time games week in and week out and he was neglected for other stars that already had a brighter spotlight (like Mayfield). Then you add in that dude is as humble as they come which isn't always appealing in advertisements. Lamar has already been quoted as saying he is willing to listen to all endorsement deals and pretty much all media outlets are touting him as a super marketable guy after this season.

I fully expect this to be the summer of Lamar in terms of marketing.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:18 pm

jenkins.math wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:37 am I fully expect this to be the summer of Lamar in terms of marketing.
His clothing line (New Era Apparel) that he owns/runs himself (in the family) has already been going full steam ahead. There's actually some pretty funny t-shirts in there - he had the "Not Bad for a RB" one up there right after Week 1 in Miami, and my other favourite "Nobody cares, work harder" that he wore to all his press conferences. He's smart AND humble, and doing just fine at leveraging this money-making game...

Frankly, Baker could take some advice on how to successfully run your side-hustles! :lol:

As an aside - the amount of times I'd watch Browns games (I had Chubb) and they'd be getting mauled whilst showing bottom-tier QB play from Baker... and then it'd cut to one of his commercials... my god, the schadenfreude was amazing.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:24 pm

mild wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:18 pm
jenkins.math wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:37 am I fully expect this to be the summer of Lamar in terms of marketing.
His clothing line (New Era Apparel) that he owns/runs himself (in the family) has already been going full steam ahead. There's actually some pretty funny t-shirts in there - he had the "Not Bad for a RB" one up there right after Week 1 in Miami, and my other favourite "Nobody cares, work harder" that he wore to all his press conferences. He's smart AND humble, and doing just fine at leveraging this money-making game...

Frankly, Baker could take some advice on how to successfully run your side-hustles! :lol:

As an aside - the amount of times I'd watch Browns games (I had Chubb) and they'd be getting mauled whilst showing bottom-tier QB play from Baker... and then it'd cut to one of his commercials... my god, the schadenfreude was amazing.
We sure about that one? I mean, have you heard him speak? Not that it's the be all and end all, but he scored a 13 on the wonderlic test, too. The average score is around 20 to 21, which would equate to an IQ equivalent of roughly 100, and he got nowhere near that. I'm sure he has people doing the marketing end of things for him, so at least he's smart enough to not get in his own way. Those T Shirts sound like they'd have some serious appeal in the Baltimore area.

I really don't think that doing commercials is the reason Baker had a bad year, but it certainly makes him less attractive to his fan base when he doesn't perform, and his face is plastered on their screens, pushing a different product every 20 minutes.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:17 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:24 pm
We sure about that one? I mean, have you heard him speak? Not that it's the be all and end all, but he scored a 13 on the wonderlic test, too...
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Man. I think you are equivocating his enunciation with a poor academic test score to draw your conclusion, and it's a little off base. I've actually heard him speak - a lot - I saw a lot of Lamar press conferences this year. The guy is intelligent enough to always put his teammates first, stave off any hype narratives, stay focussed on his goals, and never take the bait from reporters. He's most definitely smarter than you think, and I believe more than meets the eye on that front.

If you think his apparel line is only selling in Baltimore, then my guess is you're probably over the age of 40. :lol: I'm from New Zealand and I'd buy it! Lamar is going to be the most marketed NFL player in 2020, and getting ahead of it with his own clothing line (which will be able to colab with other bigger brands as he takes off) is an excellent bet on yourself.

He's also doing better than a supposedly "smart" QB in just about every metric - football or otherwise. Baker scored a 25 and yet stumped about as hard as possible to have Freddie Kitchens as his coach - soooo... how smart can he really be? :lol:

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:53 pm

Please tell me more about how the way Lamar talks correlates to his t shirts selling in Baltimore :roll:

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:45 pm

mild wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:17 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:24 pm
We sure about that one? I mean, have you heard him speak? Not that it's the be all and end all, but he scored a 13 on the wonderlic test, too...
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Man. I think you are equivocating his enunciation with a poor academic test score to draw your conclusion, and it's a little off base. I've actually heard him speak - a lot - I saw a lot of Lamar press conferences this year. The guy is intelligent enough to always put his teammates first, stave off any hype narratives, stay focussed on his goals, and never take the bait from reporters. He's most definitely smarter than you think, and I believe more than meets the eye on that front.

If you think his apparel line is only selling in Baltimore, then my guess is you're probably over the age of 40. :lol: I'm from New Zealand and I'd buy it! Lamar is going to be the most marketed NFL player in 2020, and getting ahead of it with his own clothing line (which will be able to colab with other bigger brands as he takes off) is an excellent bet on yourself.

He's also doing better than a supposedly "smart" QB in just about every metric - football or otherwise. Baker scored a 25 and yet stumped about as hard as possible to have Freddie Kitchens as his coach - soooo... how smart can he really be? :lol:
Just calling it like I see it. The context of him being smart wasn't to do with football, when I was discussing it. Not saying he isn't a good decision maker, career wise, but I don't think smart is the right word for him. He's certainly not high on the intelligence scale, but I'm not calling him an idiot, or anything. Like I said, he seems to be making good decisions on his career, and that counts for something. I just reserve the term smart, for a little higher than what Lamar presents. I don't think Baker is particularly "smart" either, nor myself, for that matter.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:57 pm

While we're on this tangent... I've always wondered what I would score on the wonderlic. I've seen some sample questions and thought that some were easy, some medium. I guess it's timed and there's pressure there? I'd also venture to guess that most of the athletes don't put too much energy into it. But that's my assumption

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:06 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:57 pm While we're on this tangent... I've always wondered what I would score on the wonderlic. I've seen some sample questions and thought that some were easy, some medium. I guess it's timed and there's pressure there? I'd also venture to guess that most of the athletes don't put too much energy into it. But that's my assumption
I actually scored above average. Not that I think it's the be all and end all, it certainly isn't. I believe COD posted it in a thread a while back. I'll see if I can get the link from him again. One thing you really have to do, is be time sensitive to your answers. It doesn't allow too much time for each question, and if you spend any length of time on 1, you will not get through the test in time.

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:04 pm

Didn't Lamar Jackson use his mom as his agent? And she'd not been an agent before? If true, then maybe that's why he didn't have as many endorsements?

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:27 pm

Lotto4Life wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:04 pm Didn't Lamar Jackson use his mom as his agent? And she'd not been an agent before? If true, then maybe that's why he didn't have as many endorsements?
Wrong. It’s because Baker stepped in front of Lamar every time someone tried to approach him with an endorsement offer. Clearly you weren’t paying attention to Greg.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:33 pm

Anyway, back to Baker. Do you think we see a more Minnesota like offense this year? Focus on the run and play action? Less attempts but more efficiency based? Curious how much the new coach brings with him from that system.