General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Baker mayfield

Postby Bronco Billy » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:56 am

mild wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:07 pm
Bronco Billy wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:35 pm :lol:

Okay. Consider me calmed. But only because you say so. You may want to look at what you just posted and then maybe consider it.
C'mon mate. You're the one whose putting "Cleveland Browns" "Baker Mayfield" and "naysayers eating crow" into the same crustily congealed thought.

You know who has literally never had to eat crow? Anyone who has doubted the past and future prospects of the 21st Century Cleveland Browns.
Yeah, I expressed an opinion and explored alternative possibilities - never stating them as fact. People are down on Mayfield as though there is no possible way he could improve and treat it as set in stone. Someone mentioned it in the Gibson thread: Players can improve but some here don’t seem to think so.

I guess putting alternatives out there offends you enough that you have to throw hyperbole out there. At no point was I never not calm when discussing, including now. And with that, I’m done going down this avenue.

Ray Finkle
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ray Finkle » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:33 am

I foresee a Jay Cutler type career.

Irbir
Starter
Starter

Postby Irbir » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:41 am

Ray Finkle wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:33 am I foresee a Jay Cutler type career.
That’s his ceiling. Manziel is the floor.

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:50 am

Irbir wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:41 am
That’s his ceiling. Manziel is the floor.
He has already surpassed Manziel's career, so his floor is already higher than that at least.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:31 am

I like this comparison.

He'll have a good game scattered amongst weak. You'll have to get lucky to start him on a good one, though going up against a weak opponent helps.

Long story short, he's a fantasy backup and a throw in for trades.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:23 am

Leading up to the Watson trade, Cleveland was looking to trade Mayfield and he wanted to go to Indy. But, Matt Ryan ended up there.

What happens next? Teams I've heard mentioned the most are Carolina and Seattle. Without looking at cap/contracts, I'd consider Detroit. They've already done a trade so another team can clear off a player/contract, and taking a year flier on Mayfield makes sense to see if he's worth a long term deal.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:26 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:23 am Leading up to the Watson trade, Cleveland was looking to trade Mayfield and he wanted to go to Indy. But, Matt Ryan ended up there.

What happens next? Teams I've heard mentioned the most are Carolina and Seattle. Without looking at cap/contracts, I'd consider Detroit. They've already done a trade so another team can clear off a player/contract, and taking a year flier on Mayfield makes sense to see if he's worth a long term deal.
Issue with Carolina is there already paying a darnold (garunteed) 18M, bakers the same so unless you can sell them that 36M for that duo is a good idea....
Detroit similar situation with Goff

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:08 am

Mjvb5 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:26 am Issue with Carolina is there already paying a darnold (garunteed) 18M, bakers the same so unless you can sell them that 36M for that duo is a good idea....
Detroit similar situation with Goff
I was completely in love with the report today detailing a "mutual disinterest" between Baker and the Panthers. Just wonderful stuff.

Unless Detroit enter this game late, it's pretty likely Seattle are going to get a steal here just by sitting pretty. With the situation turned fully toxic in CLE, there's no doubt in my mind that the Browns are motivated to recoup some/all the 18.8 million due to Baker this year after giving 230+ guaranteed to Watson... the sooner the better.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:33 am

I’d like to see the Giants make a move for him. Competition between him and DJ would bring out the best in both.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:40 am

thebeast wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:33 am I’d like to see the Giants make a move for him. Competition between him and DJ would bring out the best in both.
This seems like a good idea honestly, I just can't get over a mediocre to bad team taking on Baker. He probably won't have a good year on any of these teams and then do you extend him for what is likely a lot of momey or let him go after you just traded for him?

Seattle still makes most sense because (I think) they're still a decent team. ATL would be terrible and it sounds like CAR wants no part of him. CLE isn't going to get much at this rate

There's always PIT, but 0 chance CLE trades him there

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:32 am

Jigga94 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:40 am
Chances Cleveland releases Baker if there are no takers?

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:39 am

Valhalla wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:32 am
As a Steeler fan, I'd love to see Baker in Pittsburgh.

As for being released, I see that as the most likely course at this point (especially with the Brissett signing). If Carolina is out, that leaves Seattle as the only remaining option (at least that the only remaining option makes sense as of now). Orlovsky said yesterday the Bucs should trade for him, I could see that. But that would probably be more noise than Brady would care for, and he'd want them to spend $18M on a position to help him, not replace him.

But everything I've read indicates that the BROWNS might have to attach a pick to move Baker, so I feel like a release is more likely

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:04 am

Very slim. The problem is his 18.5 million dollar contract is guaranteed so there is no benefit outside of locker room stability. They can play the long game so to speak and wait for injury or some interest.

Baker does have plenty of talent and needs a new home but he really needs to mature in a big way. Maybe a life coach would really help in the interim. He is a fighter but it seems he fights everything good and bad; That was obvious when he didn't shut it down after his injury last year which was a really bad decision in hindsight IMO.

I also blame the Browns who seem like a very uncaring organization. They needed to step in much earlier IMO since they know Baker's personality. He wasn't right after his shoulder injury and it was obvious. I now hope this team loses every game.

I hope Baker grows up, I really liked him coming into the NFL but it became apparent he rubbed people the wrong way and took everything really personal early on. It always seems to be someone else's fault with him which the exact opposite of how most QB's react. Most are self aware enough to play the we game not the me or you game.

I am rooting for him but it isn't easy these days. Maybe a solid year as a backup would do him some good.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:30 am

Ice wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:04 am
Very slim. The problem is his 18.5 million dollar contract is guaranteed so there is no benefit outside of locker room stability. They can play the long game so to speak and wait for injury or some interest.

Baker does have plenty of talent and needs a new home but he really needs to mature in a big way. Maybe a life coach would really help in the interim. He is a fighter but it seems he fights everything good and bad; That was obvious when he didn't shut it down after his injury last year which was a really bad decision in hindsight IMO.

I also blame the Browns who seem like a very uncaring organization. They needed to step in much earlier IMO since they know Baker's personality. He wasn't right after his shoulder injury and it was obvious. I now hope this team loses every game.

I hope Baker grows up, I really liked him coming into the NFL but it became apparent he rubbed people the wrong way and took everything really personal early on. It always seems to be someone else's fault with him which the exact opposite of how most QB's react. Most are self aware enough to play the we game not the me or you game.

I am rooting for him but it isn't easy these days. Maybe a solid year as a backup would do him some good.
I suppose playing the long game could be a good option for the Browns. But to your other point, I can't imagine how noisy and distracting it's going to be in Cleveland if they have Deshaun AND Baker on the roster (with Baker potentially holding out). Deshaun is going to (understandably) have media storm surrounding him. No organization wants QB drama. The Browns have the potential to have more of that than we've ever seen lol

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:41 am

Prison_Mike wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:30 am
Ice wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:04 am

I suppose playing the long game could be a good option for the Browns. But to your other point, I can't imagine how noisy and distracting it's going to be in Cleveland if they have Deshaun AND Baker on the roster (with Baker potentially holding out). Deshaun is going to (understandably) have media storm surrounding him. No organization wants QB drama. The Browns have the potential to have more of that than we've ever seen lol
For 18.5 million they could always just deactivate him much like Houston did with Watson last year hoping to get a payback down the road.

With Watson in town Baker will be an afterthought to the public in short order but I have to think the Browns will at least try to recoup some of that investment.

I agree teams don't want QB drama but then again the Browns just signed Watson to a 230 Million contract 100% guaranteed and he is challenging Rodgers for the Captain Drama title. :biggrin:
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts