Baker mayfield

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
briank
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Baker mayfield

Postby briank » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:16 am

MrUbuto wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:03 pm Hahaha. Sorry wasn't trying to be argumentative.

I'm just a big fan of baker and I like his swagger "immaturity" some might say. It's certainly been a tough year and perhaps the pressure got to him.

I think he's a great buy low. However the guy in my league who owns him I know loves him.
I tend to agree that it's more swagger than immaturity. I think his struggles have more to do with their pass blocking and play calling than his ability.
12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 9
QB Allen/Tubisky/Lock
RB Mixon/Harris/Etienne
WR DJ Moore
TE Kelce/Irv
2022 1.06/1.09
2023 3x 1st

12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 10
QB Mahomes/Watson/Ryan
RB CMC/Zeke/Mixon/Sanders
WR Evans/Godwin/Robinson/Golladay/Thielen/Lockett/Fuller
TE Kittle/Waller/L. Thomas

QB Mahomes/Murray/Brady
RB CMC
WR Adams/Hill/Diggs/AJ Brown/Aiyuk/Woods/R. Moore
TE Kelce/Kittle/Njoku
2x 2023 1sts

12 tm PPR 1.5 for TE Superflex start 2 TE start 12
QB Herbert/Tua/Lawrence/Fields
RB Harris/Etienne
WR Jefferson/Deebo/Lamb/DSmith/Sutton/Juedy/Kirk/E. Moore/R. Moore
TE Kittle/Pitts/Waller/Fant/Njoku
2022 1.01/1.12/2.02

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:34 pm

MrUbuto wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:25 pm How is he immature? We see 2 maybe 3 1 minute sound bites a week and then 3rd or 4th hand opinions by beat writers who need to fill a half page every day.

I'm not saying he isn't a tool, but as far as I know I haven't seen anything that would lead me to believe he is immature. And even if he WAS immature hes what. 22? Most 22 year olds are
I think things like this are immature: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 059437001/

I saw a lot more from Jones this year than I did from Baker. Baker got too cocky and had a season to forget despite the best offensive weapons in the league. Hopefully, he spends more time in the tape room than in the media room calling out other guys and rebounds next year.

briank
All Pro
All Pro

Postby briank » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:45 pm

thebeast wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:34 pm
MrUbuto wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:25 pm How is he immature? We see 2 maybe 3 1 minute sound bites a week and then 3rd or 4th hand opinions by beat writers who need to fill a half page every day.

I'm not saying he isn't a tool, but as far as I know I haven't seen anything that would lead me to believe he is immature. And even if he WAS immature hes what. 22? Most 22 year olds are
I think things like this are immature: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 059437001/

I saw a lot more from Jones this year than I did from Baker. Baker got too cocky and had a season to forget despite the best offensive weapons in the league. Hopefully, he spends more time in the tape room than in the media room calling out other guys and rebounds next year.
Baker's comments were taken out of context. Like a mature adult, he cleared the air with Jones personally. Even if those comments weren't taken out of context, that pretty much what everyone and their mother thought when the Giants took Jones there.
QB Allen/Tubisky/Lock
RB Mixon/Harris/Etienne
WR DJ Moore
TE Kelce/Irv
2022 1.06/1.09
2023 3x 1st

QB Mahomes/Watson/Ryan

QB Mahomes/Murray/Brady
RB CMC
TE Kelce/Kittle/Njoku
2x 2023 1sts

RB Harris/Etienne
2022 1.01/1.12/2.02

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:47 pm

Surely Kitchens gets fired? Some blame is definitely on Baker but that oline has been atrocious and the play calling is pathetic.

briank
All Pro
All Pro

Postby briank » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:52 pm

AussieMate wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:47 pm Surely Kitchens gets fired? Some blame is definitely on Baker but that oline has been atrocious and the play calling is pathetic.
I competent organization would dump Kitchens and spend some capital on the line, but this is the Browns, so who knows.
QB Allen/Tubisky/Lock
RB Mixon/Harris/Etienne
WR DJ Moore
TE Kelce/Irv
2022 1.06/1.09
2023 3x 1st

QB Mahomes/Watson/Ryan

QB Mahomes/Murray/Brady
RB CMC
TE Kelce/Kittle/Njoku
2x 2023 1sts

RB Harris/Etienne
2022 1.01/1.12/2.02

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:55 am

Saw something interesting so thought I'd bring it here - how much difference is there between Mayfield and Minshew?

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:58 am

Lotto4Life wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:55 am Saw something interesting so thought I'd bring it here - how much difference is there between Mayfield and Minshew?
I think that's a very spicy comp.

I could actually see them having a similar next few years and that's a compliment to minshew not a knock on mayfield.

Obviously baker should have a better career but I could see mineshew hanging around as a top 10 qb for a few years.
QB - DWatson(HOU)Minshew(JAX)Darnold(NYJ)
RB -NChubb(CLE)DHenry(TEN)JTaylor(IND)Gurley(ATL)
WR -DHopkins(ARI)ACooper(DAL)CGodwin(TB)OBJ(CLE)
TE - HHenry(SD)DGoeddart(PHI)
K - Zurlien(LAR)Crosby(GB)
Def - ARI DAL
[rookie] Haskins(WAS)DSwift(DET)Jefferson(MIN)MHardman(KC)
7th pick in 2021

Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players don't take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd-year players that were drafted

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:03 am

MrUbuto wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:58 am
Lotto4Life wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:55 am Saw something interesting so thought I'd bring it here - how much difference is there between Mayfield and Minshew?

I could actually see them having a similar next few years and that's a compliment to minshew not a knock on mayfield.

Obviously baker should have a better career but I could see mineshew hanging around as a top 10 qb for a few years.
Because Colin Cowherd is the one that made it the other day haha. He's a noted Baker hater, but has been pretty much spot on about him, and the comparison did actually make some sense. Check out the segment on YouTube.

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:15 am

I typed saw instead of heard - apologies. Was a conversation with a Browns fan. Not sure if the thought originated from Cowherd as I didn't know Cowherd had made that comp. Perhaps that's why it was brought up.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:20 am

Lotto4Life wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:15 am I typed saw instead of heard - apologies. Was a conversation with a Browns fan. Not sure if the thought originated from Cowherd as I didn't know Cowherd had made that comp. Perhaps that's why it was brought up.
Who knows where it really originated from, two people can have the same idea without ever talking about it with each other. Maybe the guy you talked to got it from Cowherd, or Cowherd got it from someone else and made it a nationwide topic, doesn't really matter.

His segment on it definitely explains why it's not as crazy a comparison as it seems at first glance though.

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:14 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:03 am
MrUbuto wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:58 am

Because Colin Cowherd is the one that made it the other day haha. He's a noted Baker hater, but has been pretty much spot on about him, and the comparison did actually make some sense. Check out the segment on YouTube.
Haha that's funny. My first thought was how it wreaked of a afternoon ESPN talking head show lol

But it's certainly not ridiculous. It's probably 90% that baker will have a better career, but I do love me some minshew guys a scrappy junk yard dog.

I'd out my money on minshew if you have me 5-1
QB - DWatson(HOU)Minshew(JAX)Darnold(NYJ)
RB -NChubb(CLE)DHenry(TEN)JTaylor(IND)Gurley(ATL)
WR -DHopkins(ARI)ACooper(DAL)CGodwin(TB)OBJ(CLE)
TE - HHenry(SD)DGoeddart(PHI)
K - Zurlien(LAR)Crosby(GB)
Def - ARI DAL
[rookie] Haskins(WAS)DSwift(DET)Jefferson(MIN)MHardman(KC)
7th pick in 2021

Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players don't take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd-year players that were drafted

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:21 pm

A fair amount for me. I'd say that in 1QB, Mayfield = mid/late 2nd and Minshew = mid 3rd. In superflex/2QB, I'd say Mayfield = early 1st and Minshew = early 2nd.

CLE is overhauling their GM + HC, and the possibility of Greg Roman running the offense should make Mayfield a huge buy. Also, while I do think that Minshew > Foles and should start, money and draft capital matter in the NFL. JAX is paying Foles a ton of money, and Minshew was a 6th round draft pick. There's no guarantee that Minshew will hold onto the starting job to start the 2020 season. On the other hand, Mayfield will have a long leash before he's benched given that he was the no. 1 overall draft pick.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:55 pm

WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:21 pm
A fair amount for me. I'd say that in 1QB, Mayfield = mid/late 2nd and Minshew = mid 3rd. In superflex/2QB, I'd say Mayfield = early 1st and Minshew = early 2nd.

CLE is overhauling their GM + HC, and the possibility of Greg Roman running the offense should make Mayfield a huge buy. Also, while I do think that Minshew > Foles and should start, money and draft capital matter in the NFL. JAX is paying Foles a ton of money, and Minshew was a 6th round draft pick. There's no guarantee that Minshew will hold onto the starting job to start the 2020 season. On the other hand, Mayfield will have a long leash before he's benched given that he was the no. 1 overall draft pick.
You think giving the kid a third new offense in his third year is going to be a positive development for Mayfield? Sure, you could hope for a short term upswing and sell high such as what people should’ve done with Carr & Goff, etc. People chased Bradford around for years thinking he just needed a new coach and while you can blame injuries, it was unlikely to ever happen. Alex Smith is probably the only example of a guy having that much change in his first couple years and eventually finding success.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:44 pm

ericanadian wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:55 pm

You think giving the kid a third new offense in his third year is going to be a positive development for Mayfield? Sure, you could hope for a short term upswing and sell high such as what people should’ve done with Carr & Goff, etc. People chased Bradford around for years thinking he just needed a new coach and while you can blame injuries, it was unlikely to ever happen. Alex Smith is probably the only example of a guy having that much change in his first couple years and eventually finding success.
Does it matter if Mayfield pans out? Personally, I think he can, but even if not, the point is as you said. When Mayfield gets a new OC, HC, whatever, his value will rebound. As a 6th round pick, Minshew will be on a short leash and will forever have doubters. Mayfield's dynasty is insulated for at least another year or two.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:48 pm

ericanadian wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:55 pm

Plus the Browns are hiring a HC, THEN the GM. Azz backwards. If you don't trust a GM to hire a HC, and be better at it than you, as an ownership group, you shouldn't be hiring that guy as your GM. The Browns are a mess. I don't think Baker has the personality or raw physical talent to overcome this type of dysfunction.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick