Darrell Henderson

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Darrell Henderson

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:38 pm

Chwf3rd wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:29 pm
Bronco Billy wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:20 am Love coaches who get behind a guy who is playing really well for them and promote them enthusiastically.

DARRELL HENDERSON
RB, LOS ANGELES RAMS

Rams coach Sean McVay believes Darrell Henderson will start in Week 4 against the Giants.

"I think so," McVay responded when asked if Henderson would get the nod among the team's trio of runners. "I think the more that he plays and the more he’s available, the better he’s going to get." Henderson, Pro Football Focus' No. 1 graded running back through three games, has been nothing short of sterling since returning from a hamstring injury, totaling 32/195/2 and 6.0 yards per carry the past two weeks. Benny Snell, David Montgomery, and Jerick McKinnon have all had success against the Giants' lacking front-seven this year and Henderson's results should be no different as long as Cam Akers (ribs) remains sidelined. Henderson will be a strong RB2 in Week 4.
can't tell if sarcasm
Whenever Akers comes back, he will get worked in. Brown will get a few situational carries at this point, and that's it. That week 1 is an anomaly for him. Ideally I think a committee between Henderson and Akers is what McVay wants, provided Akers gets his feet a bit. They could have a really good running game again with Henderson/Akers, if that line keeps creating holes like the last few weeks. Henderson is definitely starting this week.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:02 am

dlf_mikeh wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:46 pm
Bronco Billy wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:10 am
dlf_mikeh wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:39 am My original take on DH:

So much the bold part. The only way I said DH could ever be successful is if he was in a power system. He's not dynamic. If you watch any of week 2 or week 3 highlights, DH already knew where he was running before the snap even happened. There's no cutting, no reading, no finding the hole, etc. Just get the ball and go. That's his only strength. The Rams are doing just that. Bravo to the coaching staff.

I'm happy he's being used properly but I'm not buying him. He's a system RB, and system RBs are easily replaceable.
Could not disagree more. I watched the runs from this year’s game and then went back and watched college tape again after reading what you posted here. I’m seeing classic one cut & go running. He exhibits patience moving laterally, and as soon as a seam opens he sees it and hits it very quickly, sometimes cutting against flow if the reverse seam opens. It is absolutely waiting, reading, seeing the seam, and then cutting quickly into it and then to downhill. It’s what I saw 2 years ago and what he’s done this year is completely consistent with that.

Interesting that we’re seeing such different runners in watching the same guy.
Well I should have watched more than just the Bills game. The Bills game is filled with power. The Eagles game is basically all zone. I watched the Bills highlights and just assumed the Eagles game was more of the same. Are you watching the Eagles highlights and not the Bills by chance? Every single one of these runs are power: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7Luapf ... illyPhilly

And then every single run with the Eagles was zone. So I was wrong. He did run some great zone plays vs the Eagles. I still give most of the credit to the offensive line and coaching staff... but I gotta admit, Henderson knew cutback lanes would be there and he was ready. He looked fast and powerful. I didn't see him avoid tacklers at the line or create space, but there definitely was improvements.

I guess there's hope afterall.
Yeah, against the Bills LAR definitely saw a weakness in the center of the run D and used power schemes to attack it - and Henderson ran in the power scheme very well. But at Memphis they used a zone stretch scheme (much like the Broncos did in the Shanahan era), and against PHI they saw a weakness on the edge and ran zone OT schemes - which Henderson ran very well.

I’m struggling to see where your issues with Henderson are when he has a HC who successfully implements two different blocking schemes and attack points based upon the opponent’s weakness and Henderson runs well in both - which is an unusual trait for even good RBs.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:01 am

Rams offensive line is 3rd in Football Outsiders Adjusted Line Yards at 5.10. Last year they were 19th.

Basically, whoever runs behind them with that type of blocking is going to produce. Henderson isn't suddenly some dramatically different player.

I'd recommend buying low on Akers right now, if people will let you.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:07 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:01 am Rams offensive line is 3rd in Football Outsiders Adjusted Line Yards at 5.10. Last year they were 19th.

Basically, whoever runs behind them with that type of blocking is going to produce. Henderson isn't suddenly some dramatically different player.

Henderson still looked good. We really don't know what type of player he was, he didn't get much run last year, and the Rams were dysfunctional. He was a super productive college player, who struggled to get on the field as a rookie, due to injuries, adapting to the system etc. I traded him away where I had him pre NFL draft, but he is certainly not going back to the bench if he keeps running the way he is. I expect a committee between Akers and Henderson, at some point.

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:25 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:01 am Rams offensive line is 3rd in Football Outsiders Adjusted Line Yards at 5.10. Last year they were 19th.

If the Rams O-line is so good, why was Akers not similarly productive? And isn’t PFF’s player rating for RB’s independent of blocking? Henderson is the #1 rated RB through week 3, and Akers was averaging 3.1 YPC.

I’m not saying Akers shouldn’t be given a chance to improve or that he won’t have a role, but to reduce Henderson’s performance to a product of blocking to promote Akers viability doesn’t logically hold.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:04 am

jcc6fd wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:25 am

If the Rams O-line is so good, why was Akers not similarly productive? And isn’t PFF’s player rating for RB’s independent of blocking? Henderson is the #1 rated RB through week 3, and Akers was averaging 3.1 YPC.

I’m not saying Akers shouldn’t be given a chance to improve or that he won’t have a role, but to reduce Henderson’s performance to a product of blocking to promote Akers viability doesn’t logically hold.
As someone who has no shares of either player, I have no motive here. But, what I typically take from a team with a 5+ adjusted line yards is that the run blocking is elite and anyone can run behind it.

I'd point to Brown's numbers in Week 1 as further proof.

TheNuts
Captain
Captain

Postby TheNuts » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:18 am

I would recommend selling high on Akers since he most likely will never be able to hold Hendersons jock. Henderaon is such a better running back. Idk if he actually reads the defense in front of him that quickly or he is just guessing correctly a lot. Whatever it is, you may want to buy kind of low on henderson if you can
12 team ppr 4 point pass td

Murray, Minshew
Singletary, Lindsay, Samuels, Ty Johnson
Chark, Arob, Woods, Diontae, Nkeal, Lazard, Conley, Cole, Dorsett
Higbee, Jarwin, Dissly
Gould, Patriots

14 team ppr superflex, .2 ppc, WR 25% ppr bonus, TE ppr bonus 75%

Mayfield, Minshew, Trubisky, Foles, Hill
Djohns, Singletary, Fournette, Harris, Armstead, Ogunbawale, Samuels
Julio, Arob, Woods, Sims Jr, Claypool, Duvernay, Isabella, Conley, Tyrell
Waller, Hurst, Jarwin, Boyle

12 team ppr 4 point pass td, superflex, 1.5 TE ppr

Goff, Minshew, Hill, Alllen, Walker
Chubb, Taylor, Henry, Singletary, David Johnson, Damien Harris, Hyde, Boone, Blasingame
Tyreek, Boyd, Diontae, Marvin Jones, Pittman, Nkeal, Duvernay, Sims Jr, Stills
Waller, Higbee, Arnold, Olsen, Parkinson, Sample

20 team ppr 6 point pass td, .05 point per return yard

Matt Ryan
Fournette, Singletary, Harris, Cohen, Duke Johnson, Trey Edmunds
Davante Adams, Tyreek, Sutton, Boyd, Dorsett, Tyrell
Kittle, Jarwin, Oliver

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:50 am

It was his first nfl game and he was facing the most stacked boxes of any rb in the nfl that week for some reason. You can look at his carries too. On one play his lineman gets shoved 3 yards backwards into him as he's going into the running lane near the goal line. He made several unblocked defenders miss in the backfield and gained positive yardage. If his name was Melvin Gordon or Joe Mixon or CEH you'd have people making tweets of him putting spin moves on guys in the backfield and saying how good he is. Are there a couple of runs that he could have done better? Sure, he's a super young rookie (turned 21 recently) that is coming from a team with absolutely atrocious run blocking playing in his first NFL game. Of course there's stuff to work on. DJ came from a similar situation in college and needed time to adjust. But Akers also showed a lot of good things too, like constantly making the first defender miss and gaining extra yards. Akers faced a light defensive front 17% of the time whereas Henderson has faced a light front 68% of the time. You'll have to ask the Rams why they decided to royally screw Akers in his first NFL game.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:00 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:04 am

As someone who has no shares of either player, I have no motive here. But, what I typically take from a team with a 5+ adjusted line yards is that the run blocking is elite and anyone can run behind it.

I'd point to Brown's numbers in Week 1 as further proof.
I've always had a problem with these gradings of OL. It simply can't be weeded apart from the RB performance.
RB-A runs behind a well set up block and makes a rapid, decisive cut-back that makes the block look excellent. RB-B makes the same read, same cut-back, but a fraction of a lag in his decision-making means the guy getting blocked partially slips around and gets an arm tackle tripping up the RB. That block is not graded as well, even though it's the same block. The RB making the more rapid decision, the more quick-twitch cut, or the faster acceleration (or a combination of these) avoids the arm tackle that the slightly delayed RB doesn't (due to vision processing, cutting ability or acceleration)...and the block is either successful or not successful, with both RBs making the correct read and taking the correct path. The OL CANNOT be weeded apart from RB play, and vice versa. If the OL is "grading better" with one RB than it is with another, it shouldn't be assumed to be bad luck for the RB that isn't getting as "good" of blocking.

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:21 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:50 am

It was his first nfl game and he was facing the most stacked boxes of any rb in the nfl that week for some reason. You can look at his carries too. On one play his lineman gets shoved 3 yards backwards into him as he's going into the running lane near the goal line. He made several unblocked defenders miss in the backfield and gained positive yardage. If his name was Melvin Gordon or Joe Mixon or CEH you'd have people making tweets of him putting spin moves on guys in the backfield and saying how good he is. Are there a couple of runs that he could have done better? Sure, he's a super young rookie (turned 21 recently) that is coming from a team with absolutely atrocious run blocking playing in his first NFL game. Of course there's stuff to work on. DJ came from a similar situation in college and needed time to adjust. But Akers also showed a lot of good things too, like constantly making the first defender miss and gaining extra yards. Akers faced a light defensive front 17% of the time whereas Henderson has faced a light front 68% of the time. You'll have to ask the Rams why they decided to royally screw Akers in his first NFL game.
Fair points and I trust your analysis. I don’t have any reason to doubt Akers as a player who can develop and produce. I just don’t understand the criticism for Henderson. This is essentially his first opportunity with any kind of workload and he’s killing it. Subjectively it feels like a bunch of retrospective justification for writing him off.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:14 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:50 am You'll have to ask the Rams why they decided to royally screw Akers in his first NFL game.
:lol:

That sounds like a definitive endorsement of Henderson if LA really hates its 2020 2nd round pick that much already.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:43 pm

https://www.fantasypros.com/2020/09/run ... gs-week-4/

"Darrell Henderson owned the day for the Rams with 21 touches for 120 yards and a touchdown. If you just looked at the box score, you would assume Henderson has leapfrogged Malcolm Brown, but the snap share was almost identical (50 percent for Henderson, 48 percent for Brown) despite the former getting the bulk of the workload. Most owners are going to flock to Henderson this week, but I believe this is a great time to buy low on Cam Akers. He is probably the forgotten man, and he could be had at quite the discount. If he eventually takes over, he should be an RB2 with upside."

Not certain I agree from a redraft perspective, but see the point from dynasty.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:30 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:14 pm
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:50 am You'll have to ask the Rams why they decided to royally screw Akers in his first NFL game.
:lol:

That sounds like a definitive endorsement of Henderson if LA really hates its 2020 2nd round pick that much already.
The irony in all of this is part of the reason I was so excited about Akers is I thought McVay would utilize him in all these varied and innovative ways. Anyways, enough about Akers, continue with the Handy hype.

TheNuts
Captain
Captain

Postby TheNuts » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:38 am

Ask the Rams why they had given up on henderson. Drafting a rb like Akers in the second was a wasted move
12 team ppr 4 point pass td

Murray, Minshew
Singletary, Lindsay, Samuels, Ty Johnson
Chark, Arob, Woods, Diontae, Nkeal, Lazard, Conley, Cole, Dorsett
Higbee, Jarwin, Dissly
Gould, Patriots

14 team ppr superflex, .2 ppc, WR 25% ppr bonus, TE ppr bonus 75%

Mayfield, Minshew, Trubisky, Foles, Hill
Djohns, Singletary, Fournette, Harris, Armstead, Ogunbawale, Samuels
Julio, Arob, Woods, Sims Jr, Claypool, Duvernay, Isabella, Conley, Tyrell
Waller, Hurst, Jarwin, Boyle

12 team ppr 4 point pass td, superflex, 1.5 TE ppr

Goff, Minshew, Hill, Alllen, Walker
Chubb, Taylor, Henry, Singletary, David Johnson, Damien Harris, Hyde, Boone, Blasingame
Tyreek, Boyd, Diontae, Marvin Jones, Pittman, Nkeal, Duvernay, Sims Jr, Stills
Waller, Higbee, Arnold, Olsen, Parkinson, Sample

20 team ppr 6 point pass td, .05 point per return yard

Matt Ryan
Fournette, Singletary, Harris, Cohen, Duke Johnson, Trey Edmunds
Davante Adams, Tyreek, Sutton, Boyd, Dorsett, Tyrell
Kittle, Jarwin, Oliver

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:12 am

TheNuts wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:38 am

Ask the Rams why they had given up on henderson. Drafting a rb like Akers in the second was a wasted move
No it wasn't. The NFL is moving to a 17 game schedule. Multiple RB's are going to be a must. Henderson and Malcolm Brown isn't a depth Chart McVay is/was going to be happy with. Akers will be getting used, at some point.