So...what is the point of trading?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Re: So...what is the point of trading?

Postby Phaded » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:14 am

Why not just ask "what is the point of fantasy football?". Everyone likes different aspects of it.

I trade because I find it fun to tinker with my team. It's boring to me to just set a lineup and then that's that.

I would argue that trading is what I enjoy more than anything in fantasy football. It also gives you an opportunity to acquire players on your favourite team or players you are rooting for that you couldn't get initially.

Mephistopheles
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mephistopheles » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:17 am

Phaded wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:14 am Why not just ask "what is the point of fantasy football?". Everyone likes different aspects of it.

I trade because I find it fun to tinker with my team. It's boring to me to just set a lineup and then that's that.

I would argue that trading is what I enjoy more than anything in fantasy football.
I agree with the last sentence to a point, but the majority of owners today and how they handle things just take the fun out of it.
I actually have grown to enjoy scouting the college players to find those diamonds in the rough in order to max out the value of draft picks than I do getting scammed or verbally abused by owners because I won't accept their shitty trade offers.
PSA - Haggling is NOT the same as negotiating.

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:17 am

I would say it depends on your league composition. In the league I built, I constructed it so that it would be difficult to improve without trading. Non-IDP 35 man rosters. The waiver wires are pretty barren and you have to talk to other people to address positional needs. It aligns with my desire to keep my friends in contact, when we are all living in different places.

So I would say it depends on how large your waiver wire is and whether or not you assess rookie talent well. If the waiver wire is barren and you are not producing in the draft at a high hit rate, you better be trading.
12 team, 35 man rosters, 1/2 PPR, 10 round rookie/FA draft
Qb: Geno Smith, Matthew Stafford, Trey Lance
Rb: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Austin Ekeler, Saquon Barkley, Cam Akers, Isiah Pacheco, Jeff Wilson, Chase Edmonds, Pierre Strong, Jordan Mason, Jaleel McLaughlin
Wr: DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Diontae Johnson, Darnell Mooney, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jakobi Meyers, Laviska Shenault, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Denzel Mims, Richie James, Michael Wilson, Demario Douglas, Trent Sherfield
Te: George Kittle, Darren Waller, Taysom Hill, Isaiah Likely
K:
D: Dallas D

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:19 am

Mephistopheles wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:17 am
Phaded wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:14 am Why not just ask "what is the point of fantasy football?". Everyone likes different aspects of it.

I would argue that trading is what I enjoy more than anything in fantasy football.
I agree with the last sentence to a point, but the majority of owners today and how they handle things just take the fun out of it.
I actually have grown to enjoy scouting the college players to find those diamonds in the rough in order to max out the value of draft picks than I do getting scammed or verbally abused by owners because I won't accept their shitty trade offers.
If you are being verbally abused in trade talks find a new league. I've never once had an argument about trades in any league. We have a brief discussion and why it makes sense and then we decide. If it doesn't work, move on.
12 Team | SF | PPR | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Burrow
RB |
WR | Puka, Olave, Smith, Flowers, Dotson, Addison
TE | Pitts, Otton, Bellinger, Likely, Okonkwo
2024 | 1.01, 1.02, 4.01, 5.01
| 1stx3, 3rdx3

10 Team | SF | PPR | 2023 Champ
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Allen, Stroud, Young
RB | K Williams, White, Monty, Herbert, Chandler
WR | Lamb, AJB, Puka, Waddle, Mooney, J. Williams, Watson, Davis
TE | Andrews, Bellinger, Dulcich
2024 | 1.04, 3.10

12 Team | SF | PPR | 1.5TEP | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, FL, SF

QB | Herbert Lance
RB | ETN, Pacheco, K Williams, Singletary, Henry, A Jones, Warren
WR | ARSB, Wilson, Olave, DK, Puka, Flowers, Downs,
TE | Hockenson, Likely, Otton

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:19 am

Perhaps you are just in bad leagues and need to reconsider your choice of dynasty leagues? Trading should be fun, even when you lose in a deal.
Rb: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Austin Ekeler, Saquon Barkley, Cam Akers, Isiah Pacheco, Jeff Wilson, Chase Edmonds, Pierre Strong, Jordan Mason, Jaleel McLaughlin
Wr: DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Diontae Johnson, Darnell Mooney, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jakobi Meyers, Laviska Shenault, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Denzel Mims, Richie James, Michael Wilson, Demario Douglas, Trent Sherfield
K:

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:34 am

I've certainly made win/win trades

I had a bit of an embarrassment of riches at QB and there was one absolute juggernaut in the other division who if I made the superbowl would probably crush me.

I traded russell wilson and garrapolo to 2 other owners in that div for a 1st rounder each. One is looking like a lottery pick he missed the playoffs.

The guy who got Wilson played this juggernaut in the plays and only lost by 2 points. My plan almost worked.

Basically I unleashed havoc on another division for my own selfish benefit
QB - DWatson(HOU)Minshew(JAX)Darnold(NYJ)
RB -NChubb(CLE)DHenry(TEN)JTaylor(IND)Gurley(ATL)
WR -DHopkins(ARI)ACooper(DAL)CGodwin(TB)OBJ(CLE)
TE - HHenry(SD)DGoeddart(PHI)
K - Zurlien(LAR)Crosby(GB)
Def - ARI DAL
[rookie] Haskins(WAS)DSwift(DET)Jefferson(MIN)MHardman(KC)
7th pick in 2021

Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players don't take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd-year players that were drafted

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:38 am

CGW wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:19 am

If you are being verbally abused in trade talks find a new league. I've never once had an argument about trades in any league. We have a brief discussion and why it makes sense and then we decide. If it doesn't work, move on.
Yeah, I have been playing for 10ish years and I have literally never had this happens. If that happens, as others have mentioned - that sounds like more of an issue with the league than trading. Worst case is we disagree about the evaluations and move on or revisit it down the road.

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:41 am

hingle wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:32 am
Mephistopheles wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:25 am
abloom wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:15 am

And the result is the same, stop going to Wal-Mart.
Bingo. You get my point.
He didnt say stop shopping though, he just said stop going to the same spot. I have plenty of leagues where I dont bother sending out offers to certain owners because I know we arent going to come to an agreement. That doesnt mean I dont try and trade with the other owners in the league.
Bingo. You get my point.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:25 am

No offense, but I think you just need a better league / league mates. I think the vast majority of trades and dynasty owners out there are not trying to deceive. Trading is a great way to build a roster and one of the most fun parts of playing dynasty IMO.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

ebsteelers
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ebsteelers » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:29 am

nathanq42 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:41 am For me trades are about fulfilling needs. If Im stacked at WR, rolling out Nuk, Mike Evans, and MT on a weekly basis, with DJ moore, Calvin Ridley, and Juju Riding the pine, but at the same time my best RB is Philip Lindsay... I cant supplement my RBs from the WW, I must trade one of my WRs for a RB of equal caliber. Obviously there will be winning and losing trades, but there can be mutually beneficial trades too. If I trade Ridley and something small for lets say Mixon, my weekly points just increased by ~20, since Ridley was giving me nothing while on the bench, and Mixon sure as hell would be starting over anyone I have at RB, and the same can be true for my trading partner but flip WRs and RBs.
agree with trading to address a need. especially if you are that stacked at wr or rb whatever.

good topic.

tominansky
Role Player
Role Player

Postby tominansky » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:31 pm

Piling on. Find a new league dude. Trading is nothing like this in any of my leagues.
Team 1:
12 team, 0.5ppr, 28 roster, SF, 1pt for 1st downs
QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/Flex/Flex/SF/D

QB: Lamar, Geno, Huntley, Flacco, DTR
RB: Walker, Aaron Jones, Ford, Patterson, Spiller
WR: Aiyuk, DK, Puka, Doubs, Dotson, Renfrow, D. Douglas
TE: Kincaid, Thomas

2024: 2.11, 3.07, 3.09, 4.07
2025: 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th
2026: 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th

Team 2:
12 team, 0.5ppr, 23 roster, SF
QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/Flex/Flex/SF

QB: Dak, Stafford, Rodgers, AOC, Dobbs
RB: CMC, JT, Ekeler, Kamara, A. Jones, Spears, Miller
WR: Tyreek, AJB, Allen, DK, Ridley, Palmer, Bourne, D. Robinson, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, Turner

2025 2nd, 3rd
2026 1st, 2x 2nd, 2x 3rd

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:11 pm

WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:25 am No offense, but I think you just need a better league / league mates. I think the vast majority of trades and dynasty owners out there are not trying to deceive. Trading is a great way to build a roster and one of the most fun parts of playing dynasty IMO.
/thread
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

Straycatz2
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Straycatz2 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:29 pm

WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:25 am No offense, but I think you just need a better league / league mates. I think the vast majority of trades and dynasty owners out there are not trying to deceive. Trading is a great way to build a roster and one of the most fun parts of playing dynasty IMO.
x2

Go find another league.
Trading is by far my favorite aspect of dynasty. I've personally made over 10 trades this year. My league is very trade happy. And every trade both sides were happy about it at the time of the trade. Some work out, some don't work out after time but thats the fun of it and conversing with other owners to try and get the trade done. No need to get upset when trades don't happen because everyone has their own evaluations too.

Mephistopheles
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mephistopheles » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:40 pm

Guys, I agree with you all on finding new leagues.
The largest issues are in 5 of my leagues, 3 of which were new this year for me (orphan team takeovers). Four of those leagues are gone after this year as far as I'm concerned at this point.
I forgot the real worst line from the Sanders exchange. The guy said and this is a direct quote "That (mid- to late-) 1st is basically an early 2nd". It's that kind of bull bleep that I'm talking about.
PSA - Haggling is NOT the same as negotiating.

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:55 pm

Sometimes people have stupid opinions. Best thing you can do is point them out and try to work around them. If they have stupid opinions and they continue to lose, there will always be these types of people in leagues.

A leaguemate of mine once said, if you don't know who the fish is, you are the fish (he's also a poker player, but I found this funny).

In this scenario, if someone is so big on second round picks, try to procure their mid 1st for a 2nd+. Forget about Sanders until another day.
K: