2020 QB Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

2020 QB Thread

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:24 pm

So there is a RB and WR thread for the 2020 class. Here's a thread for the QB's.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: 2020 QB Thread

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:31 pm

Joe Burrow: Just watched a few games of Burrow. Surprised at how well he moves. When he tucks it, he can gain yards. Does tuck and run quickly at times, but it usually is for a good sized gain. Great ball placement. If he misses a throw, he misses where only his guy can get it. Gutsy player, and clutch. The Alabama game was super impressive. Converts on some major 3rd downs when Bama was getting close, and the Bama crowd was extremely loud. He just drove down the field and pushed it to a 2 score game and gave his team some breathing room a few times. Good anticipation on his throws. Does not wilt in the face of pressure.

He does not have a great arm. Not a ton of velocity, but he does show good touch. His ball is a bit "loose". Does not throw a tight spiral.

Justin Herbert: Has an absolute cannon. His arm strength is not a question. He can throw deep outs, and get it there quickly. He threw a corner route off his back foot to a RB 38 yards in the air vs Cal and put it right there in stride, over the trailing defender. He is mobile for his size. He is not afraid to throw into tight windows. This is good and bad. Sometimes it leads to deflected passes, and the odd INT. He will sometimes try and squeeze it in on a deeper route when the shorter route is much more available for a completion. He does not lock in on his primary target, and does a good job of using his eyes to move safeties at times. Ball placement can be very good, and he has some nice touch at times, and then some throws miss the mark by quite a bit.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Edgy68
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Edgy68 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:02 am

I'll be interested in reading this when more have weighed in. I hold the 1.01 in a superflex and thought it was Tua and then the rest. His hip dislocation brings up questionable durability and longevity in the NFL now. Is it still a 3-horse race?
Wasteland
12-team, PPR 25 roster 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1(RB/WR/TE), 1 D/ST
QB J. Burrow, A. Richardson
RB J. Taylor, D. Henry, M. Sanders, B. Hall, T. Sermon, C. Patterson, P. Strong, K. Ingram, TDP, D. Achane, K. Miller, R. Johnson
WR AJ Brown, C. Ridley, J. Chase, C. Lamb, JSN, G. Pickens, K. Osborn, J. Meyers, A. Pierce, T. Scott
TE T. Kelce, D. Goedert, G. Dulcich, J. Woods
D/ST MIN, PIT, DEN

Panthers
12-team SF, .5 PPR 35 roster: 1QB, 1SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2FLEX, 2DB, 2LB, 2DL, 1FLEX
QB J. Burrow, A. Richardson, J. Winston, S. Howell
RB J. Mixon, E. Elliott, N. Chubb, J. Kelley, K. Harris, J. Ford
WR D. Hopkins, C. Godwin, T. Higgins, C. Ridley, J. Smith-Njigba, J. Mingo
TE T. Kelce, K. Pitts, Z. Ertz, D. Goedert, J. Ferguson
DB R. Grant, J. Simmons
DL D. Hunter, A. Highsmith, S. Hubbard
LB C. Mosley, A. Singleton, P. Queen, D. Deablo

KJD5154
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby KJD5154 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:13 pm

As someone who has 1.1, 1.3, and somewhere between 1.6-1.12 (1.5 or 1.6 if he loses today, 1.7-1.12 depending on playoffs), I am interested in 2020 QBs. With Haskins, Trubisky, Lock, Flacco, and Rudolph, I need help.
TEAM 1
Superflex. 1/2 PPR. No TE position.
QB: Burrow, Herbert , Murray, Young
RB: Barkley, James Cook, Achane, Brian Robinson, Spears
WR/TE: Lamb, Higgins, Godwin, Amon-Ra St Brown, Jayden Reed, G. Wilson, C. Olave, Zay Flowers, T. Boyd
K: Gay
DEF: Seahawks
2024 Picks: 2.01, 2.04, 2.08, 5.04

TEAM 2
Superflex. 1/2 PPR. No TE position, no K, no DEF.
QB: Kyler, Trevor Lawrence, Deshaun Watson, J. Stidham
RB: Bijan, JT, Kenneth Walker, Breece Hall, Allgeier, Elijah Mitchell, Isaiah Spiller
WR/TE: AJ Brown, Aiyuk, Nico Collins, Garrett Wilson, Pickens, Godwin, R. Rice, AT Perry, D. Wicks
2024 Picks: 2.04, 2.08, 2.11, 3.12, 4.11

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:03 pm

KJD5154 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:13 pm As someone who has 1.1, 1.3, and somewhere between 1.6-1.12 (1.5 or 1.6 if he loses today, 1.7-1.12 depending on playoffs), I am interested in 2020 QBs. With Haskins, Trubisky, Lock, Flacco, and Rudolph, I need help.
Can we stop with these posts? What value does this have to this thread?

I think that if you are in SF it has to be Burrow at this point. The hip injury to Tua is significant, but more to the point is his extensive injury history outside of this. Not a problem taking him later, but not with 1.1.

Herbert will be an interesting case study. It was almost assured that Elway would be in on him - he fits his type. But does Lock show enough the rest of the year? Do the Broncos have the firepower and/or desire to make it happen? Will they even need to do something to get him?

Does Fromm come out? With the recent sentiment towards him, does he fall to the end of the first if he does? If so, he winds up with a good team... Does that change opinions on where he is drafted in fantasy? Say he goes to NE.

Same could happen to Eason, actually.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:12 pm

I will preface this by saying I have a hard time evaluating college quarterbacks personally. At least the top tier ones, I've had a surprisingly good track record with later round quarterbacks but it's easier to justify the cost. Defense is so much simpler and has a lot more poor play than the pros.

None of the QBs really excite me from this class from what I have seen which is also pretty limited.

If I had the top pick in a superflex, I would have a hard time taking one of them over a guy like Jeudy.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:27 pm

I'm interested to see how Jalen Hurts does in the pre-draft process. He's obviously got question marks and things he needs to improve on, but Lamar Jackson's success this year is sure to open evaluators minds to less traditional QBs. I think Hurts pretty clearly has all the intangibles you want in a QB, and has nice physical tools that could be developed. He's not the athlete or talent Lamar is, but with the right coach and offense he could end up being something similar to Lamar. The fantasy potential is clearly there though in my opinion, so I'll probably be investing if ends up having a real path to a starting job within 2 years.

Krypto_King
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krypto_King » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:32 pm

he doesn't have his fastball but I really like the Romo comp for Burrow. Accuracy, touch, mobility, toughness. I'm sure all of his teammates would attend his birthday party.

PR0v3
Captain
Captain

Postby PR0v3 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:32 pm

Phaded wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:12 pm I will preface this by saying I have a hard time evaluating college quarterbacks personally. At least the top tier ones, I've had a surprisingly good track record with later round quarterbacks but it's easier to justify the cost. Defense is so much simpler and has a lot more poor play than the pros.

None of the QBs really excite me from this class from what I have seen which is also pretty limited.

If I had the top pick in a superflex, I would have a hard time taking one of them over a guy like Jeudy.
Same. It's obviously different in superflex, but in 1QB I think I'm out on all non-rushing QBs for fantasy these days, and none of these QBs have that as a major component of their games. I think it's unrealisitic to expect top 10 numbers from any QB that doesn't run given the way the league has gone. The fantasy upside for pocket passers is basically Jameis or Goff. Meh. I'll be looking to snag Hurts cheap if he gets drafted to be a starter, which I fully expect to happen after the recent running QB successes.
12 Team .5 PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB 20 man rosters, 5 man taxi est. 2018
QB: Dak, Pickett
RB: CMC, Taylor, Gibson, Dillon, Akers, Penny
WR: JJeff, Hollywood, Olave, Toney, Aiyuk, Jeudy, C. Davis, Boyd, C. Samuel,
TE: Njoku, Gesicki
2023 picks: 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:37 pm

I think if you're in a SF then Hurts is worth a flyer like all QBs. But as stated, he isn't as dynamic of a runner as Lamar, he is nowhere close to the passer Lamar was in college (and Lamar took ALL KINDS of flak for that), and he is in Lincoln Riley's system that has produced crazy numbers for both Baker and Kyler. I wouldn't be entirely optimistic.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:39 am

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -decision/

Tua "undecided" on coming out. I'm pretty sure he will end up declaring, would be a mistake to stay. He's probably the #3 QB this year behind Burrow and Herbert, but he'll be #3 at best behind Lawrence and Fields next year.

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:50 am

bjd5211 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:39 am https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -decision/

Tua "undecided" on coming out. I'm pretty sure he will end up declaring, would be a mistake to stay. He's probably the #3 QB this year behind Burrow and Herbert, but he'll be #3 at best behind Lawrence and Fields next year.
I don't really agree with the fact that he would be #3 for certain. I think if he returns to form, he'd easily be #2. I would say he's looked better than Lawrence this year.

I think the better option for him is to declare. In the dream scenario, he gets drafted mid-late first to a team that has a lot in place already. Think Lamar or similar type of team. I saw a mock with Green Bay taking Tua.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:57 am

Lumps wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:50 am
bjd5211 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:39 am https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -decision/

I don't really agree with the fact that he would be #3 for certain. I think if he returns to form, he'd easily be #2. I would say he's looked better than Lawrence this year.

I think the better option for him is to declare. In the dream scenario, he gets drafted mid-late first to a team that has a lot in place already. Think Lamar or similar type of team. I saw a mock with Green Bay taking Tua.
Trevor Lawrence is going #1 next year (or in '22 if he returned) and it's not really going to be a debate.

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:25 am

Burrow - with all the busts we've seen at the WR position and mock drafts projecting 5+ WR in Round 1, I'd say today that Burrow should very much be in consideration of the 1.01 in 2QB/SF leagues. Maybe if Swift, Dobbins, Taylor go to an awesome situation that could shake up the early picks. If he does go to Cincinnati, he has a lot of solid pieces around him but CIN will have to address the OL in a major way.

Herbert - I haven't followed him much but from the sounds of it, (game reps are important) he hasn't improved his draft stock from last year to today. Still projecting as a first-rounder for both NFL + Rookie drafts.

Tua - whew, this will be an interesting case to follow, the guy has been injured a lot at Bama and now this most recent injury is scary in its own right. However, if he fell to the late first in a 2QB/SF, I'd probably take the chance. Lefty QB's FTW

Fromm - appears to be undecided but I don't think he's exceeded expectations today, maybe a big game vs. LSU or in the CFP could give him a nice boost.

Love - your small school QB prospect of the year

Eason - haven't followed, PST games lol, but has he even been good this year? Like Day 2 pick good?

Hurts - when guys like Ryan Finley or Will Grier type guys are getting drafted later in rookie drafts, I'd gladly take a shot on Hurts (hopefully a 3rd round rookie pick or something like that). I feel like his value has been all over the place, day 2 or day 3. I think you take his play at OU with a little salt but Lincoln Reilly is so damn hot right now...

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:23 pm

Servo wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:25 am Burrow - with all the busts we've seen at the WR position and mock drafts projecting 5+ WR in Round 1, I'd say today that Burrow should very much be in consideration of the 1.01 in 2QB/SF leagues. Maybe if Swift, Dobbins, Taylor go to an awesome situation that could shake up the early picks. If he does go to Cincinnati, he has a lot of solid pieces around him but CIN will have to address the OL in a major way.
In theory, Cincy has the talent on the o-line ... Cordy Glenn just returned & they drafted Jonah William in the first last year but he went on IR in preseason. Billy Price was a #1 pick ... maybe he still can develop into something.