Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Lamar Jackson is the best QB in the NFL & Fantasy

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:42 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:40 pm
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:27 pm
bjd5211 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:38 pm

Kamara has the 6th most touches in the NFL.
yeah, we're talking about carries though.
No, you were talking about workload and receptions are part of that, receivers are tackled too.
I'm sure you could line AJG up at RB and he'd be fine then. Carries/receptions are the same, right? Tackled the same way? Getting tackled by a cornerback is the same as getting tackled by a D-Lineman or linebacker, that's your contention. lol

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:01 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:42 pm I'm sure you could line AJG up at RB and he'd be fine then. Carries/receptions are the same, right? Tackled the same way? Getting tackled by a cornerback is the same as getting tackled by a D-Lineman or linebacker, that's your contention. lol
The contention is that Lamar isn't going to last because he is "slight". That's all.

Despite, y'know... never having a major injury yet through 3 years of college and another 2.5 in the NFL (big knock on wood)

And basically being built equivalent of other "slight" players that so far have lasted.

Michael Vick played 13 seasons in the league weighing 215 lb at 6 ft flat. Lamar is 6 ft 2 at 212 lbs. Vick has already told us that Lamar is "miles ahead" of where he was coming into the league as a passer, and the league is also far less violent than Vick's era. Why can't Lamar play 13 seasons in this era?

I just think the hate is going too far. The situation is about as bad as it could be this year - the line is stuffed, the playcalling and play itself of the offense isn't overcoming the defensive adjustments that have caught up to them, and nobody is in sync on offense. Even their usual rushing identity has been muted by a 3-headed hydra rotation. To say he's "never going to make it" as a passer is just typical for the boo-birds of this place, who only come out when it's raining. The chorus will quieten again when-or-if Lamar improves.

Personally, I bet on guys that show improvements year-over-year. This is the first time that Lamar has regressed in his whole career - literally every college year, he improved. Both years in the pros, he has improved. Even mechanically this year - there are aspects that have improved. The situation is bad. The playcalling hasn't adjusted. Lamar hasn't adjusted. I -know- how mad this will be making him.

For my money - I will bet on one of the smartest front offices in the league making the adjustment this offseason - and on Lamar putting in the work to improve on his part. Career development is not usually linear, and we are seeing a low point right now. If you want to bet that it won't improve from here, then that's your prerogative. I will go the other way. 8-)

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:21 pm

mild wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:33 pm
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:30 pm Not sure kamara is a great example when it’s a known fact the coaching staff won’t give him a full workload because of durability concerns lol
You could go that way with it, sure. Or you could agree that 602 rushing attempts and 310 receptions - for a total of 912 touches over his four year career thus far - is a hell of a lot of usage for a guy that you're calling "slight" by the same stroke of the brush.
And compare that rush+catch total to the number of times Jackson has touched the ball as a QB. Not just runs (both designed and ad lib) but drop backs.

Also, to an earlier point, one of the reasons I like Kamara so much is he so rarely takes crushing hits. It annoys me a time or two when he doesn't go all out for a few yards or red zone play, but I know it's a good business decision long term.

Jackson just needs to start making more business decisions.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:46 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:21 pm
mild wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:33 pm
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:30 pm Not sure kamara is a great example when it’s a known fact the coaching staff won’t give him a full workload because of durability concerns lol
You could go that way with it, sure. Or you could agree that 602 rushing attempts and 310 receptions - for a total of 912 touches over his four year career thus far - is a hell of a lot of usage for a guy that you're calling "slight" by the same stroke of the brush.
And compare that rush+catch total to the number of times Jackson has touched the ball as a QB. Not just runs (both designed and ad lib) but drop backs.

Also, to an earlier point, one of the reasons I like Kamara so much is he so rarely takes crushing hits. It annoys me a time or two when he doesn't go all out for a few yards or red zone play, but I know it's a good business decision long term.

Jackson just needs to start making more business decisions.
This is always a common comment people like to throw out there when discussing Lamar, but he actually does do a good job at avoiding or minimizing a lot of hits and potential hits considering the volume of runs he has. The guy people should be concerned about, and yet it is never mentioned, is Deshaun Watson who is far more reckless with his body and the hits he subjects himself to, and unlike Lamar he's already suffered multiple major injuries.

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:11 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:53 pm
Jackson and the Ravens froze defenses last year with their physicality, motions and sweeps. The entire league was thrown off and the Ravens kept winning. Teams only knew how to respond in short time by stacking boxes which gave Lamar tons of 1 on 1s.

Did you watch him vs NE? They rushed 3, sometimes 2 and forced him to make tight throws while keeping eyes on him. How did he look? He can't read D's, simply is a 1 on 1 tosser who occassionally shows some touch but my goodness he better have some QB talent at this level. Take away the run game and he will do nothing, we've seen it time and time again.

He's just not that good a QB talent and he has been nothing short of dreadful this year. That's with an elite HC and a top flight defense.
That's literally the bingo here, He's a qb who can't make tight window throws or read defenses. I'm surprised it isn't being discussed more in the mainstream media, I think people are afraid of being called a racist, but it's really obvious. They can certainly tweak the offense to help enable him to create passing lanes with his legs, but against most above average defenses he's going to struggle. Against Pittsburgh earlier this year he was 13/28 with 2 interceptions, a pick six, and 3 fumbles. I've been watching football a long time and I cannot remember a reigning MVP putting up a line like that.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:31 am

notweswelker wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:11 pm
Space Cowboy wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:53 pm
Jackson and the Ravens froze defenses last year with their physicality, motions and sweeps. The entire league was thrown off and the Ravens kept winning. Teams only knew how to respond in short time by stacking boxes which gave Lamar tons of 1 on 1s.

Did you watch him vs NE? They rushed 3, sometimes 2 and forced him to make tight throws while keeping eyes on him. How did he look? He can't read D's, simply is a 1 on 1 tosser who occassionally shows some touch but my goodness he better have some QB talent at this level. Take away the run game and he will do nothing, we've seen it time and time again.

He's just not that good a QB talent and he has been nothing short of dreadful this year. That's with an elite HC and a top flight defense.
That's literally the bingo here, He's a qb who can't make tight window throws or read defenses. I'm surprised it isn't being discussed more in the mainstream media, I think people are afraid of being called a racist, but it's really obvious. They can certainly tweak the offense to help enable him to create passing lanes with his legs, but against most above average defenses he's going to struggle. Against Pittsburgh earlier this year he was 13/28 with 2 interceptions, a pick six, and 3 fumbles. I've been watching football a long time and I cannot remember a reigning MVP putting up a line like that.
I'm sure Cam did it. Plus it was Pit, arguably the best defense in the league. No one should turn the ball over that much though but we've seen dud games from Lamar before and they aren't good

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:25 pm

With all the RB injuries in Baltimore, it'll be interesting how effective the run and pass games are, especially since Jackson hasn't signed an extension yet.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:27 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:25 pm With all the RB injuries in Baltimore, it'll be interesting how effective the run and pass games are, especially since Jackson hasn't signed an extension yet.
Call the Witch off, this hex is much much too powerful. Wrap Lamar in bubble wrap, please!

In all seriousness, the RB to own in Baltimore this year is still Lamar Jackson.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:26 pm

I'm expecting a lot of stacked boxes unless one of these RB's can perform well. I think we'll find out if Lamar can win with his arm, because I don't imagine defenses are going to fear the guys getting carries out of the backfield.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:27 pm

mild wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:27 pm
Pullo Vision wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:25 pm With all the RB injuries in Baltimore, it'll be interesting how effective the run and pass games are, especially since Jackson hasn't signed an extension yet.
Call the Witch off, this hex is much much too powerful. Wrap Lamar in bubble wrap, please!

In all seriousness, the RB to own in Baltimore this year is still Lamar Jackson.
He's going to find it really tough this year. So many injuries to his skill position players. I'm not expecting a great FF season from him.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:39 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:27 pm
mild wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:27 pm

He's going to find it really tough this year. So many injuries to his skill position players. I'm not expecting a great FF season from him.
He has always had a trash group of pass catchers

Actually Watkins, 15 games of Bateman and healthy Andrews is a significant upgrade

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:59 am

StripesOfKC wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:39 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:27 pm He's going to find it really tough this year. So many injuries to his skill position players. I'm not expecting a great FF season from him.

Actually Watkins, 15 games of Bateman and healthy Andrews is a significant upgrade
Co-signed. He's lost Running Backs, not pass catchers. His Week 1 skill group is the 2020 skill group + Sammy Watkins. He wasn't targeting Dobbins last year, that's the only pass-catching dimension we've "lost" to this point - and we will have to wait another year to see it.

From a fantasy perspective, Lamar is now set to explode this season. Sorry FF, but your Raiders D isn't going to be able to stop him, short of injury. (And knock on wood for that right now)

He's the top ranked QB on most ranking boards for a reason this week.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:01 am

mild wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:59 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:27 pm He's going to find it really tough this year. So many injuries to his skill position players. I'm not expecting a great FF season from him.

Co-signed. He's lost Running Backs, not pass catchers. His Week 1 skill group is the 2020 skill group + Sammy Watkins. He wasn't targeting Dobbins last year, that's the only pass-catching dimension we've "lost" to this point - and we will have to wait another year to see it.

From a fantasy perspective, Lamar is now set to explode this season. Sorry FF, but your Raiders D isn't going to be able to stop him, short of injury. (And knock on wood for that right now)

Whatever, as I said, Lamar is going to have it rough this season with the lack of RB's. Bateman is a rookie, has missed time and Watkins never stays healthy. Ravens are going to find it tough this year. Losing Dobbins and Edwards is a big blow to that offense, and some rookie WR and Watkins aren't going to light the league on fire. Lamar being top ranked FF QB doesn't bother me at all, I highly doubt he it the QB1 this week, even against the Raiders D that was terrible last year, though hopefully improved this year.

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:21 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:01 am

Whatever, as I said, Lamar is going to have it rough this season with the lack of RB's. Bateman is a rookie, has missed time and Watkins never stays healthy. Ravens are going to find it tough this year. Losing Dobbins and Edwards is a big blow to that offense, and some rookie WR and Watkins aren't going to light the league on fire. Lamar being top ranked FF QB doesn't bother me at all, I highly doubt he it the QB1 this week, even against the Raiders D that was terrible last year, though hopefully improved this year.
I won't be shocked if the Ravens offense produces another good RB much like Mike Shanahan's offenses and the Steelers used to do. They just plugged the next guy in and he cranked out 1000 yards and looked solid. I really don't think this running game needs an elite RB as long as Lamar and that line are in good shape. As excited as everyone was for Dobbins and then Gus, they were just passengers on the bus and not the driver. I think the Ravens and Lamar will be just fine.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:04 am

jenkins.math wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:21 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:01 am

I won't be shocked if the Ravens offense produces another good RB much like Mike Shanahan's offenses and the Steelers used to do. They just plugged the next guy in and he cranked out 1000 yards and looked solid. I really don't think this running game needs an elite RB as long as Lamar and that line are in good shape. As excited as everyone was for Dobbins and then Gus, they were just passengers on the bus and not the driver. I think the Ravens and Lamar will be just fine.
I disagree that it won't be effected. Dobbins ability to get to the edge on sweeps for that read option was really a threat to the D, they don't have a guy that can stretch it East/West like that. Dobbins is a superior talent to anything they have left now by a long shot. It's going to affect their efficiency, and ability to stretch D's. Teams will focus more on stopping Lamar with the lack of talent left at RB. I think the offense takes a step back this season.