Lamar Jackson is the best QB in the NFL & Fantasy

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
pierson242
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: should lamar jackson fanboys be concerned

Postby pierson242 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:06 am

maxhyde wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:34 am The only thing that scares me about Jackson is 2 of his 3 years as a starting QB he had more rushing attempts than pass completions.

I get they ran alot of plays and that is good offense but he averaged almost 20 carries a game the past 2 seasons. How many NFL teams have used their QB1 like that successfully...I'll wait
Name a QB who was capable of this

He can throw well. Most of his rush yards were designed runs. Pair that with a good Rb and WRs who can spread the field. Defenses wont know what to do. If he goes somewhere and the team is willing to run the offense suited for him he could be game changing
Devy Writer and Ranker for DLF

Follow me on Twitter @PiersonFF

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:12 am

Rumor he didn't do well in the white boards sessions - is it legit, or was that put out there by a team hoping he falls to them?

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:16 am

maxhyde wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:03 am
Goddard wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 am
maxhyde wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:34 am The only thing that scares me about Jackson is 2 of his 3 years as a starting QB he had more rushing attempts than pass completions.

I get they ran alot of plays and that is good offense but he averaged almost 20 carries a game the past 2 seasons. How many NFL teams have used their QB1 like that successfully...I'll wait
That's a fair point, but it also doesn't mean he's going to be used that way in the NFL. By no means am I a Jackson apologist, but I do think he has a better chance at developing and being a good QB than someone like Josh Allen.
Yeah no chance he is used that way in the NFL or he will have a short career as an NFL QB. So then the question becomes how effective of a passer is he if he isn't running every other play? As an NFL team what tape do you use to project him even because he really doesn't have a game where he stood in the pocket and beat a team. Anyway he is a complicated prospect to evaluate for me. Our closest comps are likely Mariota, Tebow (maybe) and Vick and neither ran as much as Jackson in college. None of those guys picked up the intricacies of the NFL game very quickly as a passer either.
I am a big Allen fan so you lost me there ;)
I probably wouldn't compare him to Mariota, but Vick is obviously one that most people make. I see him more as a Colin Kaepernick comparison, at least in terms of college production. Not sure if that's fair or not, but Kaepernick ran a lot and didn't throw as much as your traditional QB and probably had plenty of questions about his passing abilities coming out.

As for Allen, I brought him up because he has just as many question marks and is as unproven, if not more. Your argument was that Jackson didn't throw enough so it would be difficult to evaluate him as a passer, but same can be said for Allen. Allen only completed 152 passes last year and had 92 rush attempts. Obviously he didn't run more than he completed passes, but somewhat close and mostly because he wasn't very good at running the ball. Jackson had almost as many completions (254) than Allen had attempts (270). I'd say that's a good enough amount of attempts to evaluate him, if we're evaluating Allen's abilities based on going 152 for 270. This isn't at all to knock Allen, but it seems a little unfair to say one guy who threw the ball a whole lot more didn't do it enough, and yet the other guy who threw way less is more proven.

Gtdano_14
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Gtdano_14 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:25 am

I just feel like we've gone through this song and dance before... Do we really think his is a that much better QB than RG3 or Bridgewater? I can't help but feel like this is deja vu. I don't fault anyone for seeing the upside. It'd probably make for an exiting watch when you have to hold your breath every time he scrambles. I'm not seeing the longevity, especially when running is a major part of his game. He'd better take notes for R. Wilson on sliding frequently... Good luck to him though as he sounds like a guy with high character.
16 Team PPR 1 QB - 2 RB - 2 WR - 1 TE - 1 Flex
QB- R.Wilson, B. Mayfield
RB- D. Cook, Zeke, J. Jacobs, J. McKinnon, A. Collins, I. Smith, B. Hill, R. Armstead, M. Boone
WR- J. Smith-Schuster, T. Boyd, C. Sutton, M. Brown, H. Ruggs, S. Miller
TE- G. Kittle, Enron, C. Herndon
'21 Picks- 1.12

btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Postby btv802 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:40 am

Gtdano_14 wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:25 am I just feel like we've gone through this song and dance before... Do we really think his is a that much better QB than RG3 or Bridgewater
Why are we comparing him to Bridgewater? Hoping it's because they share an alma mater...and not 'cause, you know.
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS
12 Teams - 24 Active - 4 IR - 4 Taxi - 1pt PPR, 6pt Pass TDs, No INTs - 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX
QB: R. Wilson, T. Brady, K. Cousins
RB: M. Gordon, D. Cook, T. Coleman, J. McKinnon, I. Smith
WR: B. Cooks, J. Jones, A.J. Green, S. Watkins, M. Williams, M. Valdes-Scantling, J. Ross, M. Lee, T. Taylor, P. Richardson
TE: T. Kelce, D. Njoku, J. Smith
TAXI: B. Snell, M. Weber, K. Warring
2021: 3rd, 3rd, 4th

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:53 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:02 am
clarion contrarion wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:11 am stefan lefors
brian brohm
ryan mallett
tyler wilson
brandon doughty
lamar jackson
there is a common thread that ties this list together and it would scare the hell out of me if my team drafted Ljax or if I drafted him with high hopes .
Hey man, I've noticed you have a habit of doing this king of thing- getting concerned about a player because there have been a bunch of busts from the same school, or same conference, or same coach. I mean, the list of Tennessee QBs before Peyton Manning is Todd Helton, Heath Schuler, Andy Kelly, Sterling Henton, Jeff Francis, etc. I don't know if this makes any sense.

I'm not sure how your concern about Petrino QB's is different from your concern about USC WRs.
clarion contrarion wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:07 am With the recent USC wr history in the league why is JUJU a lock in the top 4 ? His # look a lot like dwayne jarrett to me , both played 3 years at USC , jarrett 8 more catches 16 more TDs same YPC , JUJU lower market share , broad jump 1 inch difference. does JUJU 4.54 > 4.62 for jarrett . There is still time before the draft someone convince me he should be ranked ahead of godwin , westbrook , henderson or zay jones .
Most college football players are not good enough to play in the NFL. The majority of draft picks do not pan out. Just about everybody is going to have a bunch of recent players from their coach/school/conference who sucked because most college football players suck relative to the NFL. There are reasons to be concerned about Lamar Jackson, but Brian Brohm ain't one of them.
everyone of petrinos qbs piled up very nice # and then splattered on their face in the league - I can see taking a shot on the sky high upside but I would have very tempered expectations.
2 more things dear OCR
1) nice red herring including manning on the tenn qb list - all the ones before sucked and all the ones since have sucked so go ahead trying to win your leagues by the blind squirrel finds an acorn method my way has missed plenty of heartbreak I will soldier on with my near 75% winning % across all leagues.

2) I have since owned up on the board my USC wr take over reach and even drafted JUJU when steelers drafted him , although I do think he is a great sell high at this point. I think flipping him for godwin + at this point may be a solid move. He won't sneak up on anyone this season , I am very hopeful that was the rookie floor and it is on to bigger and better things but I am not so sure that happens.

Even with all that said they( USC wr ) have wildly under performed the expectation even though woods lee and agholor showed signs of not completely busting they all have become post hype sleepers and every single one unless an owner showed JOB like patience took a frigging bath on their original investment .
JuJu may have salvaged the brand and forced all his big brothers to shape up or ship out.

thanks for following me around & keeping score everyone needs a team manager to track stats and you sir are hired ! now fetch me a cold beer and run down to the tobacconist and fetch me a couple Alec Bradley Prensados por favor - that was stat -- now scram don't just stand there with your thumb up your draftboard.

thanks statboy!
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

Gtdano_14
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Gtdano_14 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:55 am

btv802 wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:40 am
Gtdano_14 wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:25 am I just feel like we've gone through this song and dance before... Do we really think his is a that much better QB than RG3 or Bridgewater
Why are we comparing him to Bridgewater? Hoping it's because they share an alma mater...and not 'cause, you know.
After I hit submit, I realized the potential trap i entered and should have edited it to say Mariota* and Tebow as well. I had Manziel and removed him as obviously him out of the NFL was for different reasons. I'm just trying to carefully bring up the fact that these highly successful college QBs, known for lots of rushing stats, do not seem to last long in the NFL... Mariota seemed to have an off year after his broken bone. I feel like the same post-injury thing happened to RG3. I'd say it would happen to Bridgewater as well after his injury, but I was never impressed with him and was bummed the moment the Vikings drafted him.
*Mariota is by no means a failure, but he has a ways to go for me.
RB- D. Cook, Zeke, J. Jacobs, J. McKinnon, A. Collins, I. Smith, B. Hill, R. Armstead, M. Boone
'21 Picks- 1.12

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:57 am

Goddard wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:16 am
Goddard wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 am

That's a fair point, but it also doesn't mean he's going to be used that way in the NFL. By no means am I a Jackson apologist, but I do think he has a better chance at developing and being a good QB than someone like Josh Allen.
Yeah no chance he is used that way in the NFL or he will have a short career as an NFL QB. So then the question becomes how effective of a passer is he if he isn't running every other play? As an NFL team what tape do you use to project him even because he really doesn't have a game where he stood in the pocket and beat a team. Anyway he is a complicated prospect to evaluate for me. Our closest comps are likely Mariota, Tebow (maybe) and Vick and neither ran as much as Jackson in college. None of those guys picked up the intricacies of the NFL game very quickly as a passer either.
I probably wouldn't compare him to Mariota, but Vick is obviously one that most people make. I see him more as a Colin Kaepernick comparison, at least in terms of college production. Not sure if that's fair or not, but Kaepernick ran a lot and didn't throw as much as your traditional QB and probably had plenty of questions about his passing abilities coming out.

As for Allen, I brought him up because he has just as many question marks and is as unproven, if not more. Your argument was that Jackson didn't throw enough so it would be difficult to evaluate him as a passer, but same can be said for Allen. Allen only completed 152 passes last year and had 92 rush attempts. Obviously he didn't run more than he completed passes, but somewhat close and mostly because he wasn't very good at running the ball. Jackson had almost as many completions (254) than Allen had attempts (270). I'd say that's a good enough amount of attempts to evaluate him, if we're evaluating Allen's abilities based on going 152 for 270. This isn't at all to knock Allen, but it seems a little unfair to say one guy who threw the ball a whole lot more didn't do it enough, and yet the other guy who threw way less is more proven.
Vick also went 1.01 so I suspect he had a pretty long leash to correct his passing. Longer than teams seem willing to give guys now anyway. I could totally see him having early success like RGIII but also feel it is inevitable a guy built the way Jackson is won't last long running in the NFL and I don't believe he is a better athlete (or passer) than RGIII was.

As for Allen...I still am much more confident projecting him in any NFL scheme than Jackson. If you listen to the accuracy concerns and believe them that is fine. I've got my own ideas about him and makes Allen a much safer guy in my view. Definitely in the NFL but even in rookie drafts for me.
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Postby btv802 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:08 am

Gtdano_14 wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:55 am
btv802 wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:40 am Why are we comparing him to Bridgewater? Hoping it's because they share an alma mater...and not 'cause, you know.
After I hit submit, I realized the potential trap i entered and should have edited it to say Mariota* and Tebow as well. I had Manziel and removed him as obviously him out of the NFL was for different reasons. I'm just trying to carefully bring up the fact that these highly successful college QBs, known for lots of rushing stats, do not seem to last long in the NFL...
Ahhhhhh ok....I still think you might be portraying Bridgewater incorrectly here. He rushed for less than 200 yards in his entire college career. Lamar Jackson rushed for over 4000.
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS
12 Teams - 24 Active - 4 IR - 4 Taxi - 1pt PPR, 6pt Pass TDs, No INTs - 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX
QB: R. Wilson, T. Brady, K. Cousins
RB: M. Gordon, D. Cook, T. Coleman, J. McKinnon, I. Smith
WR: B. Cooks, J. Jones, A.J. Green, S. Watkins, M. Williams, M. Valdes-Scantling, J. Ross, M. Lee, T. Taylor, P. Richardson
TE: T. Kelce, D. Njoku, J. Smith
TAXI: B. Snell, M. Weber, K. Warring
2021: 3rd, 3rd, 4th

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:24 am

Imma probably take Jackson at 2.07 unless ballage/John Kelly are still somehow there

I just like his ability, and I feel like there is a mid conception that he has super poor mechanics. If he gets his feet set and steps into it he is actually a pretty good passer. It is when the defensive interior push his center and guards into his face he loses his composure and mechanics and his form and accuracy breaks down
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:28 am

maxhyde wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:57 am
Goddard wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:16 am

Vick also went 1.01 so I suspect he had a pretty long leash to correct his passing. Longer than teams seem willing to give guys now anyway. I could totally see him having early success like RGIII but also feel it is inevitable a guy built the way Jackson is won't last long running in the NFL and I don't believe he is a better athlete (or passer) than RGIII was.

As for Allen...I still am much more confident projecting him in any NFL scheme than Jackson. If you listen to the accuracy concerns and believe them that is fine. I've got my own ideas about him and makes Allen a much safer guy in my view. Definitely in the NFL but even in rookie drafts for me.
I have no problem with someone preferring Allen over Jackson or saying he has more upside. I just wouldn't use the lack of pass attempts as a reason to discount Jackson when Allen has attempted almost half the amount of passes. And for what it's worth, if I had to put money on it, I wouldn't bet on either being pro-bowl QBs, but I'd rather take my chances with Jackson and his upside...at least for fantasy purposes.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:35 am

He's a fine dart throw in 1QB leagues but I would not be taking him in the 1st in Superflex/2QB.

Lot of physical upside but very high bust chance.

The Pats interest in him intrigues me though.

Gtdano_14
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Gtdano_14 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:46 am

btv802 wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:08 am I still think you might be portraying Bridgewater incorrectly here. He rushed for less than 200 yards in his entire college career.
:shock: :oops: Wow, i was way off and I just confirmed it. Thanks for setting me straight.
'21 Picks- 1.12

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:45 am

:snooty: I wouldn't ever compare him to Teddy Bilgewater :nono:

And as a fanboy my only concern is if they have pictures of him canoodling around on the back of Petrino's bike in a compromising position.

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:48 am

Goddard wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:28 am I have no problem with someone preferring Allen over Jackson or saying he has more upside. I just wouldn't use the lack of pass attempts as a reason to discount Jackson when Allen has attempted almost half the amount of passes. And for what it's worth, if I had to put money on it, I wouldn't bet on either being pro-bowl QBs, but I'd rather take my chances with Jackson and his upside...at least for fantasy purposes.
I just think of all the great athletes (runner 1st) dominating college as a QB and leading teams to W's but never being able to transition to an NFL QB should be a cautionary tale for all of us.

Pass attempts wasn't a part of my point only completions. Anyway I just think it will be interesting to see who drafts him and even more interesting to see how effective he is as a QB when he isn't running 20 times a game because as we haven't really seen it...yet.

It is far beyond my remedial skills as a talent evaluator to project Jackson in the NFL. Certainly doesn't mean he can't succeed only that I can't forecast how that will look therefore he has to be the last of those 5 for me. Still I'd take him ahead of the next group with Rudolph/Lauletta/Falk,etc. even though I think some of those guys might be OK QB's
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams