Postby Ice » Fri May 10, 2019 7:44 pm

I am excited to own M. Brown. He is a future star! 😁
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: *MYTH* Lamar Jackson will never be a good passer

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri May 10, 2019 7:59 pm

Ice wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 7:44 pm I am excited to own M. Brown. He is a future star! 😁
Set a date. When does Jackson's contract end? :lol:
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

joeya2001
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby joeya2001 » Fri May 10, 2019 8:22 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 6:43 pm
Jigga94 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 3:48 am
Chwf3rd wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 7:39 pm

He was a 1st Round QB and had access to the entire playbook. If he wasn't prepared that's on him.

Yes, the entire playcalling and playbook did clearly change the moment he was the guy. However, the reason why it changed was most likely because they knew Jackson's limitations as a passer and thus they couldn't be successful with Jackson running a standard offense.
General thought, not @ anyone in particular: Maybe they wanted to play to his strength as a runner??? Not saying he wasn't a bad passer, he was. Its both... But that would be like if Jackson got hurt and Flacco was back in, they would change up to more passing plays and traditional runs. Flacco no run good, so why make offense bad?

I guess there's 2 ways to look at it. 1. You are playing to the strengths of your players. 2. You are mitigating the bad traits of your players.

Seems like a glass half full/empty situation. I would think coaches would be in the mindset of #1 in order to instill confidence, win games, make playoffs, etc because that's what actually matters. Not passing yards or attempts per game. Lamar only had 1 loss (OT to KC!) in the regular season as a rookie QB. The Ravens we're not supposed to make the playoffs last year.

As for the passing, I have my doubts but as a Ravens fan... We haven't had this talented of a QB. Ever.
I basically agree. It's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. I don't think anyone should be excited if they own a WR on the Ravens in non best ball formats, but to own Jackson, with his strength as a runner and better weapons, it's encouraging. If they keep running him as much as they did, he will break, though.
you know I'm not to sure about that, he knows how to avoid big hits.
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR 1TE, Super Flex, 2 Flex Spots. 10 Team Dynasty PPR

2016 Champs 2019 Runner up 2020 Champs

QB- Lamar Jackson, Jordan Love
RB- Alvin Kamara, AJ Dillion
WR- Christian Kirk, Michael Pittman, Aiyuk, Alec Pierce, DJ Chare, Terrace Marshall, Metchie,
TE- George Kittle, Darren Waller, Greg Dortch.

Team 2 10 Team 1 QB 2 RB 3 WR 1 TE 2 Flex 2 SF

2020 3rd place Year 1
(This is a rebuild team selling vets)
QB Joe Burrow, Kenny Pickett, Geno,
RB AJ Dillon, Josh Jacobs, Tony Pollard,
WR Tee Higgins, Sutton, HollywoodTerry McLaurin, DJM, Ju-Ju, Hodgins,
TE Hock, Andrews, Kyle Pitts, Otton, Ertz
Picks
2023 4 1st 5 2nd
2024 3rd
“Not good enough to count on as a starter, but too good to drop, so they clog my bench.” dlf_mikeh

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri May 10, 2019 8:27 pm

joeya2001 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:22 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 6:43 pm
Jigga94 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 3:48 am

General thought, not @ anyone in particular: Maybe they wanted to play to his strength as a runner??? Not saying he wasn't a bad passer, he was. Its both... But that would be like if Jackson got hurt and Flacco was back in, they would change up to more passing plays and traditional runs. Flacco no run good, so why make offense bad?

I guess there's 2 ways to look at it. 1. You are playing to the strengths of your players. 2. You are mitigating the bad traits of your players.

Seems like a glass half full/empty situation. I would think coaches would be in the mindset of #1 in order to instill confidence, win games, make playoffs, etc because that's what actually matters. Not passing yards or attempts per game. Lamar only had 1 loss (OT to KC!) in the regular season as a rookie QB. The Ravens we're not supposed to make the playoffs last year.

As for the passing, I have my doubts but as a Ravens fan... We haven't had this talented of a QB. Ever.
I basically agree. It's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. I don't think anyone should be excited if they own a WR on the Ravens in non best ball formats, but to own Jackson, with his strength as a runner and better weapons, it's encouraging. If they keep running him as much as they did, he will break, though.
you know I'm not to sure about that, he knows how to avoid big hits.
I saw quite a few times where he could have avoided contact, and he's not built for it. All it takes is that one time, and the more you run, the more chance there is of it happening. I have my worries about that.

Tvols
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tvols » Fri May 10, 2019 9:51 pm

Lol good pocket passer now that is funny .. Jackson will be a stud qb as long as he can run ..can he develop sure but the nfl def will develop quicker..
16 teamer
QB T Law, R Wilson
rb- Mixon,pollard, J Hill, conner,
WR-Chase,Lamb,T Hill, R Bateman, C sutton, boyd
Te Kelce, Waller, Fant,Evertt,
1qb,2-3rb,3-5wr,1-2 TE
Full IDP

Team 2 recent rod 16 team SF/TEP(2pt PPR) 1-2 QB, 2-3 RB, 3-5 wrs and 1-2 TE full IDP.
QB A rod, M willis and H Hooker
rb not squat T Bigsby, Chris R, Z evans. J kelly, C patterson, and J mcluaghlin.
WRs chase, J Addison, T McLaurin, C ridgley , A Losivas, M hollins
TE Kelce, D Belligner, T Conklin

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat May 11, 2019 8:00 am

Just took Boykin at 2.10. I still don't think Lamar is a good passer at this point, and question his ceiling as a passer. I think this year we will find out a lot about what the Ravens plan to do, with the new weapons they have drafted. I still see a run first approach, but these new guys certainly will keep defences honest.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Sat May 11, 2019 4:49 pm

Chwf3rd wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 5:46 pm The only rookie QB to start week 1 last year was Darnold. Sure, maybe Jackson had less of a reason to expect to start than Baker, Rosen, or Allen but I would bet those guys didnt get the majority of their training camp snaps with the first team offense either. Regardless do you not think the 2nd team offense practices? I'm not saying that he can't develop into a better passer but I really think the "no snaps with the 1st team" if a poor excuse.
I'm not 100% hanging my hat on the belief that had Jackson been groomed as the starter from the day he was drafted that 2018 would have been worlds different. It would have helped. I also agree with people who made the point (and maybe it was something you were agreeing with too?) that the Ravens skill positions were really lacking last season.

By restocking the offense, and giving Jackson the offseason to prepare as the starter it's quite reasonable to expect a jump in year two. If it doesn't happen, then I too will start to wonder if he "has it" as an NFL star in the making. As some have said, he may be more RGIII than Michael Vick.

And I think Vick could have been a better player than he was. If he had taken perfecting his craft seriously, studied his playbook rigorously and worked harder. He was kind of known to be sliding, getting by on talent rather than possessing a solid work ethic. Then there was the whole time away from the game for dog fighting of course.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

NFLMAX
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby NFLMAX » Sat May 11, 2019 7:25 pm

I still believe in LJ, he developed each year in Louisville and was a underrated passer his final season. He will make strides year 2 with the ravens and get better over time. I don’t think the ravens are going to run the ball as much in 2019 as they did last year and the draft is a valid reason for that. For fantasy purposes once this offense matures I think he can outscore his fellow classmate Baker Mayfield. 🔥🔥🔥

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Sat May 11, 2019 7:50 pm

NFLMAX wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 7:25 pm I still believe in LJ, he developed each year in Louisville and was a underrated passer his final season. He will make strides year 2 with the ravens and get better over time. I don’t think the ravens are going to run the ball as much in 2019 as they did last year and the draft is a valid reason for that. For fantasy purposes once this offense matures I think he can outscore his fellow classmate Baker Mayfield. 🔥🔥🔥
:lol:

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Mon May 13, 2019 11:59 am

Pac_Eddy wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 7:05 am One of the biggest reasons I believe Lamar Jackson is not a good passer is that the Ravens changed their entire offense to suit his running and limit his passing to a couple reads and half of the field. They ran the ball more than any other team once Jackson was the starter.

Yeah, he can change and get better, but more running QBs don't become good passers than do. This is not being a hater or naive, it's playing the odds.
This is exactly why we think this (those of us that do). Examples of good running QB's that are not strong passing QB's but hang in the league still. Scrambling QB's can make it (Russell Wilson). Rushing QB's are going to be playing injured more often than not

Cam Newton - debatable for me but many are removing him from "elite" QB because someday he won't run as much
Mariota - 4 years in and his passing game is not appreciably better. Injured often
RG3 - Could be other factors but simply never learned to be a good enough passer. Injured often

There are 3 examples of guys drafted at #1 or #2 overall and I think clearly much better players than Jackson coming out but are barely sticking aside from Cam who also happens to be the best passer among them

Kaepernick was never really an effective starter outside a few stretches despite being a fantasy favorite
Vick is probably the biggest success story but he had a cannon arm and was perhaps one of the best athletes ever to play in the NFL. I mean I don't doubt if he played RB he would have been a great player there too
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

ascherb
Starter
Starter

Postby ascherb » Mon May 13, 2019 1:00 pm

Not sure what the argument is.

Jackson was not nearly ready as an NFL caliber drop back and pass QB. What he was and is is a dynamic running threat, and the Ravens smartly built the offense around those skills when he was starting.

What they and Jackson owners HAVE to be hoping for is that he makes a jump in his ability to drop back and play quarterback, so that he can last as an NFL starter.

Whether he will successfully develop or he won’t successfully develop is the question, and none of us know for sure.
Please give us a visit for awesome FF content:

extrapointff.com

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon May 13, 2019 2:07 pm

maxhyde wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:59 am
Pac_Eddy wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 7:05 am One of the biggest reasons I believe Lamar Jackson is not a good passer is that the Ravens changed their entire offense to suit his running and limit his passing to a couple reads and half of the field. They ran the ball more than any other team once Jackson was the starter.

Yeah, he can change and get better, but more running QBs don't become good passers than do. This is not being a hater or naive, it's playing the odds.
This is exactly why we think this (those of us that do). Examples of good running QB's that are not strong passing QB's but hang in the league still. Scrambling QB's can make it (Russell Wilson). Rushing QB's are going to be playing injured more often than not

Cam Newton - debatable for me but many are removing him from "elite" QB because someday he won't run as much
Mariota - 4 years in and his passing game is not appreciably better. Injured often
RG3 - Could be other factors but simply never learned to be a good enough passer. Injured often

There are 3 examples of guys drafted at #1 or #2 overall and I think clearly much better players than Jackson coming out but are barely sticking aside from Cam who also happens to be the best passer among them

Kaepernick was never really an effective starter outside a few stretches despite being a fantasy favorite
Vick is probably the biggest success story but he had a cannon arm and was perhaps one of the best athletes ever to play in the NFL. I mean I don't doubt if he played RB he would have been a great player there too
Maybe most are not old enough but Lamar Jackson is much closer to a Randall Cunnigham in his style of play than the QB's mentioned. Jackson may actually be a bit better passer and runner but his game and mental make up looks pretty tough much like Randall of yesteryear.

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Mon May 13, 2019 3:09 pm

Ice wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 2:07 pm
maxhyde wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:59 am

Maybe most are not old enough but Lamar Jackson is much closer to a Randall Cunnigham in his style of play than the QB's mentioned. Jackson may actually be a bit better passer and runner but his game and mental make up looks pretty tough much like Randall of yesteryear.
Wasn't Cunningham banged up a lot after his first 4 or 5 years? Something like he never played 16 games in a single season after age 28? I could be wrong though.

Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Blueboy » Mon May 13, 2019 3:30 pm

Hadn't put together the Cunningham comparison myself, but it clicks now that I think about it. Very similar guys.

12-team SF, PPR, TE premium, 0.25 PPCarry
1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1SF 4Flex
QB: Mahomes, Fields, Love
RB: Bijan, ETN, Pollard, Achane, Herbert
WR: Kupp, Hill, Metcalf, Ridley, Jeudy, D.J. M, Burks, Hollywood, Wan'Dale
TE: Kyle Pitts, Goedert

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon May 13, 2019 3:35 pm

Yes he was banged up a lot but then again the game was much more violent back then.

The rules are more favorable but the way he is built and plays is similar. Jackson will have to develop and be Careful in the process.