Lamar Jackson is the best QB in the NFL & Fantasy

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Lamar Jackson is the best QB in the NFL & Fantasy

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:33 pm

I just worry about the longevity because he runs so much.

Year 1: 9.18 carries/gm
Year 2: 11.73 carries/gm
Year 3: 10.6 carries/gm
Year 4: 10.66 carries/gm

He's clearly an elite QB, but his usage in the run game is comparable to a backup RB. Hit after hit is going to add up on him. So, hopefully it doesn't resort in a dropoff when he reaches his 30s.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:50 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:33 pm I just worry about the longevity because he runs so much.

He's clearly an elite QB, but his usage in the run game is comparable to a backup RB. Hit after hit is going to add up on him. So, hopefully it doesn't resort in a dropoff when he reaches his 30s.
I don't think his rushes are very comparable to a RBs

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:41 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:33 pm I just worry about the longevity because he runs so much.

I hear you. However - Michael Vick took a far greater pounding in the 2000's and was still "pretty good" when the Eagles put a good team around him in his late career. And we can all agree that Lamar is -far- ahead of Vick's career progression as a thrower.

Of course, we don't have to get into why Vick isn't exactly a 1:1 career comparison (I'm talking about his "holiday" from the league)

Lamar doesn't take RB style hits. Even when a defender does get a hit on him, it's rare that they are able to apply the sort of "kill shot" hits that guys like Daniel Jones or Cam Newton (or even pocket QB's being blindsided) take - because Lamar is -so- shifty, that defenders cannot "sell out" lest they find that they've committed to tackling air. He's also become extremely disciplined about sliding and getting out of bounds whenever he can. Nobody "gets it" more than he does. (Aside from the occasional celebration backflip, because hey, I remember being 24 and young and having fun once, why not...)

Every football player gets injured. I'm not out here saying that he's not going to be at some point. My point is simply - we used to worry about him being made "one dimensional". I think we should be excited about his progression into being a true pocket QB - because it will mean he runs less (he already is), lasts longer (knock on wood), and remains theoretically unguardable (hell yeah).

Even in his 30's, Vick still presented a true threat from the ground. He picked his spots more judiciously, but he could still burn a defense that left him a lane. I think even 90% of Lamar is still an absolutely ridiculous athlete - even if he slows down a touch when he's 31, he's still going to be one of the fastest and slipperiest we've ever seen at the position.

Own with confidence. Lamar Jackson might just be (cue the music) the best QB in Fantasy.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:56 pm

mild wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:41 pm

I hear you. However - Michael Vick took a far greater pounding in the 2000's and was still "pretty good" when the Eagles put a good team around him in his late career. And we can all agree that Lamar is -far- ahead of Vick's career progression as a thrower.

Of course, we don't have to get into why Vick isn't exactly a 1:1 career comparison (I'm talking about his "holiday" from the league)

Lamar doesn't take RB style hits.

He does, at times. He even instigates contact, sometimes. Maybe not all that often, but that's not the main concern for me. To me, it's not having his body worn down like a RB over time, it's the probability factor. The more he runs, the more likely it is he suffers a major injury at some point. He's remained clean thus far, but if you're running 160-200 times a year, vs other QB's who run say 40-50, you are just increasing your odds of getting hurt.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:06 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:56 pm
mild wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:41 pm

Lamar doesn't take RB style hits.

He does, at times. He even instigates contact, sometimes. Maybe not all that often, but that's not the main concern for me. To me, it's not having his body worn down like a RB over time, it's the probability factor. The more he runs, the more likely it is he suffers a major injury at some point. He's remained clean thus far, but if you're running 160-200 times a year, vs other QB's who run say 40-50, you are just increasing your odds of getting hurt.
How are his odds increased when a lot of these carries are going out of bounds or ending in slides? Even when he's tackled it's not like he's slight by any means. I'd be more worried about a QB taking a huge hit in the pocket with a bunch of big bodies around, then he is running the ball. Burrow comes to mind...

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:01 am

Lamar's carries are not far off from this guy's first 4 years.

Year 1: 8.09 carries/gm
Year 2: 6.81 carries/gm
Year 3: 6.38 carries/gm
Year 4: 7.33 carries/gm

AFAIK, no one is worried about Josh Allen's longevity.

It's not the carries that hurt QBs - it's the hits. So far, Lamar is doing a great job of avoiding big blows on his rushes. RBGIII ran into tackles, but Lamar runs away from tackles most of the time.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Tre Tucker, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
IR: Mike Williams (WR), Joey Bosa (DL)
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:26 am

Anteaters wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:01 am

It's not the carries that hurt QBs - it's the hits. So far, Lamar is doing a great job of avoiding big blows on his rushes. RBGIII ran into tackles, but Lamar runs away from tackles most of the time.
Good post. I used to be more concerned for Allen because of the hits he would take. He was running like Cam basically. He definitely got a lot smarter the past 2 years when running though. I have 0 concerns about Allen or Lamar running the ball. It's football, players are going to get hurt.

gogobradyarm
All Pro
All Pro

Postby gogobradyarm » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:50 pm

I sold because I was concerned about him taking hits. Without a doubt, he is quite good at avoiding hits where possible. That said, he has taken some licks here and there. Of course, I can't predict injury, but he has a higher risk profile than pretty much any other QB. To each their own. Love the talent!
12 Team - PPR - 30man (2 IR) - 6pt PPTD- 1 QB - 2 RB - 2 WR - 1 Flex - 1 TE
QB: Jalen Hurts, Dak Prescott, Anthony Richardson, Aidan O'Connell
RB: McCaffrey, Jacobs, Barkley, Zamir White, Jaleel McLaughlin, Dowdle, Zach Evans, Dobbins
WR: AJB, London, Aiyuk, Diontae Johnson, Kupp, Ridley, McLaurin, Dotson, Rashod Bateman
TE: Mandrews, Pitts, Likely, Otton

2024: 1.01, 1.07
2025: 3x 1st, 2nd, 3rd
Champ: 2020, 2021
Year 9 of my league

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:25 am

gogobradyarm wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:50 pm I sold because I was concerned about him taking hits. Without a doubt, he is quite good at avoiding hits where possible. That said, he has taken some licks here and there. Of course, I can't predict injury, but he has a higher risk profile than pretty much any other QB. To each their own. Love the talent!
Has he ever even missed a start? He is a Unicorn!
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:35 am

I'm becoming more and more of a believer in Lamar by the week. I won't discount the injury concerns, but they don't really factor into his value that much to me. It's possible, but it's not like he's getting hammered out there.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:12 am

Anteaters wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:01 am

That's a significant difference. Jackson runs 3-5 more times per game than Allen in the last 3 seasons.

More carries = higher probability of getting hit, which will add wear and tear over time. He's not sliding each time and avoiding contact. It's certainly something to watch for. Maybe Jackson gets to a point where he scales it down and advances more as a passer. It was definitely a concern I had with Cam Newton and injuries definitely slowed him down in the second half of his career.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:59 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3z1MSn5Qu0
This is not a video of a runner who avoids contact and slides to protect himself. And he had at least two other runs where he sought contact on Monday night.

I love his eagerness, but Josh Allen is the one to worry about.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Tre Tucker, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
IR: Mike Williams (WR), Joey Bosa (DL)
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:32 pm

Anteaters wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:59 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3z1MSn5Qu0
This is not a video of a runner who avoids contact and slides to protect himself. And he had at least two other runs where he sought contact on Monday night.

Exactly what I was going to say. And nobody here is worried about owning Allen.

Keep discounting Lamar, naysayers. All he's done is re-define QB rushing as quite literally the greatest rushing QB of all time whilst learning how to be a pretty damn good QB at the same time. He's a rare talent, and a total unicorn at the position.

Again, the biggest difference this year is that he's not tucking and running as his first read. It's still there - but he's now using it when he truly has no other options (or on designs). He's hanging in the pocket for far longer than he used to, and he's executing a passing game that is starting to look pretty dang scary. (I'm excited to see more from Bateman this week - sounds like Watkins is out again)

I really don't know what more Lamar could do to convince you guys. He's an iron man. He's not missed games for anything except COVID. I don't blame anyone for preferring Allen to Lamar, but I'm reeeeeal happy owning the vengeful spirit of Michael Vick 9.0.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:57 pm

mild wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:32 pm
Anteaters wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:59 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3z1MSn5Qu0

Exactly what I was going to say. And nobody here is worried about owning Allen.

Keep discounting Lamar, naysayers. All he's done is re-define QB rushing as quite literally the greatest rushing QB of all time whilst learning how to be a pretty damn good QB at the same time. He's a rare talent, and a total unicorn at the position.

Again, the biggest difference this year is that he's not tucking and running as his first read. It's still there - but he's now using it when he truly has no other options (or on designs). He's hanging in the pocket for far longer than he used to, and he's executing a passing game that is starting to look pretty dang scary. (I'm excited to see more from Bateman this week - sounds like Watkins is out again)

I really don't know what more Lamar could do to convince you guys. He's an iron man. He's not missed games for anything except COVID. I don't blame anyone for preferring Allen to Lamar, but I'm reeeeeal happy owning the vengeful spirit of Michael Vick 9.0.
Don't worry about either..... I own Allen and Dak in one Dynasty in a one start league at 5 passing and 6 rushing TD's from a points perspective and view Lamar as every bit their equal.

Worrying about any of the QB's is a negative in my book. The rules favor QB's and Dak was the one who got hurt last season and he barely runs compared to those two.

Being concerned about injury is one thing but selling due to the fear of injury is silly IMO. The rules are so different for QB's these days. QB's can slide head first or feet first and it doesn't matter. Defensive players today are trained to barely touch the QB and if they do they better roll off them on the way to the turf.

We are close to flag football with QB's so being concerned with contact injury is ridiculous. The statue types are every bit a vulnerable as the running types as players like Lamar knows where he is going and has the sidelines or headfirst or feet first slides to ensure he gets to the next play.

Buy this unicorn whenever possible in fantasy. He is top 10 in rushing and passing in the NFL which is GREAT for fantasy.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:26 pm

https://www.nfl.com/news/lamar-jackson- ... -narrative

Interesting that the owner basically said no extension will happen, unless Lamar changes his asking price. The owner even alluded to the Cousins route, which was my take a while back on what they should consider. He openly talked against the Watson contract, and what it stood for, he seemed to be totally against it. A long term deal for Lamar isn't looking likely any time soon unless something changes.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick