Lamar Jackson is the best QB in the NFL & Fantasy

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Lamar Jackson is the best QB in the NFL & Fantasy

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon May 11, 2020 1:46 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 11:22 am
dynastyninja wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 11:16 am This is easy for me to say because my million dollar job isn't on the line, but if I were a GM and was able to field offers without it becoming public knowledge, I'd see what I can get for any QB outside of Mahomes and Rodgers (and some of the older guys like Brady and Brees who won't command much in the trade market).

I'd listen to offers for Lamar, simply because I believe he'd give a team a record-breaking haul. The return for him would be astronomical and then you sign Cam and see where that takes you.
Replacing Lamar with Newton in a win window would get you fired and run out of town with pitchforks and torches, regardless if you got multiple firsts for Lamar. Lamar's talent and being on a rookie deal is the main reason they are a contender right now. You'd be paying Cam more than Lamar for a massive downgrade at the most important position. Literally everything the Ravens do on offense and their success is due to Lamar.
I agree. Even though treating the QB position like the RB position, in the sense that you rotate out after the first contract and maybe a franchise tag or two is interesting, it makes horrible sense from a business perspective and it could easily blow up in your face on the field.

If you have a without-a-doubt franchise QB, there are no amount of draft picks that make up for that impact. Because you're making the other team better, lowering the value of the incoming draft return, and you're stuck looking for the next big thing at QB for however long that takes.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Mon May 11, 2020 2:31 pm

Reasonable enough. Lamar is unique and they have built their entire offense around him (which was your point, and you're right). I'd be inclined to listen to offers because I may be less gung on him than the rest of the market, but I'd probably feel different if I were in Bal and went through all that effort and team building.

In a vacuum, I think he brings more value on the trade market than on a roster, excluding the Ravens.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Mon May 11, 2020 2:37 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 2:31 pm Reasonable enough. Lamar is unique and they have built their entire offense around him (which was your point, and you're right). I'd be inclined to listen to offers because I may be less gung on him than the rest of the market, but I'd probably feel different if I were in Bal and went through all that effort and team building.

In a vacuum, I think he brings more value on the trade market than on a roster, excluding the Ravens.
If that's the case, why would any other team trade for him?

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon May 11, 2020 4:10 pm

As others have said - if you're an NFL GM and you don't have a QB, you spend the entirety of your waking hours trying to find one. You get a tonne of rope as a GM to make mistakes IF there is a clear plan in place for your team going forward to being competitive - but this always starts at QB.

In fact, one of the surest ways to get fired as a GM, is to continually whiff on the QB position. Trading away an actual-to-goodness MVP player is one of the most galaxy brained things I've ever heard, and would be a surefire way to risk your job - something that, of all things, GM's are trying not to do. They want to stay in the saddle above all else.

Even if Lamar gets injured every year from now until 2025 (and I am knocking on wood here) the GM is safe so long as the plan is still "reload, and contend around Lamar". All of Baltimore, owner and coach included, can get behind that. Trade him away, and you're right back to where you started AND the city is rioting - and you're hoping that you once again can hit on like, the 5th QB in the draft.

Dak Prescotts and Lamar Jacksons do not grow on trees. They are the exceptions to the usual rule. And if you're picking high enough to take a Burrow or a Tua, that means you've probably done a bad job of GM-ing in the first place, and are already on the hot-seat.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Mon May 11, 2020 7:13 pm

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:00 pm There's a reason why Jerry isn't giving Dak the biggest contract ever. It ain't cuz he's cheap.
Strangely, Jerry Jones has gone from UDFA (Tony Romo) to (4th rounder) Dak.

That's some crazy insight/luck with late round QB selection

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Tue May 26, 2020 6:14 pm

Guy wins a MVP at 22..... ya lets trade him because we are still hanging onto tape we saw from college that showed him not being accurate. He is still that guy, not the MVP we just saw in the NFL. Ill never understand how some people are so stubborn on their viewpoints that they cant just chalk it up to "Wow i made the wrong call on Lamar, thats ok though" You dont trade a 22 year old MVP under any circumstances. Especially not because "he wasnt accurate in college"

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue May 26, 2020 11:57 pm

Patsfan86 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:14 pm Guy wins a MVP at 22..... ya lets trade him because we are still hanging onto tape we saw from college that showed him not being accurate. He is still that guy, not the MVP we just saw in the NFL. Ill never understand how some people are so stubborn on their viewpoints that they cant just chalk it up to "Wow i made the wrong call on Lamar, thats ok though" You dont trade a 22 year old MVP under any circumstances. Especially not because "he wasnt accurate in college"
Nobody here that I know is saying this. This is a DYNSASTY website, and the tile of the thread is he's the best QB in real life and the NFL and Fantsasy (which is Dynasty). Mahomes exists. Understand the issue? Not close, either way. If it were," Lamar is the 2nd best QB in the NFL and Fantasy".....you would have more of an argument.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Wed May 27, 2020 12:01 am

He's certainly not the mvp of playoff games.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed May 27, 2020 12:12 am

Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:01 am He's certainly not the mvp of playoff games.
Or Super Bowls. (But wait, Williams deserved the MVP because his stats were padded by a last second TD run when the D sold out to try and stop the first down, and I'm sure SF's D pulled out all the stops in the last quarter vs Williams, and were saying, whatever we do, don't let Damien Williams beat us with this lead in the SB :roll: :lol: )

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Wed May 27, 2020 12:34 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:12 am
Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:01 am He's certainly not the mvp of playoff games.
Or Super Bowls. (But wait, Williams deserved the MVP because his stats were padded by a last second TD run when the D sold out to try and stop the first down, and I'm sure SF's D pulled out all the stops in the last quarter vs Williams, and were saying, whatever we do, don't let Damien Williams beat us with this lead in the SB :roll: :lol: )
aren't we talking about lamar jackson?

i would never say a bad word about mahommes.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed May 27, 2020 12:41 am

Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:34 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:12 am
aren't we talking about lamar jackson?

i would never say a bad word about mahommes.
Sorry, you misunderstand. I was agreeing with you. The argument through this thread, is that Lamar is the best FF/real QB, or he isn't.( and the one I created about Mahomes is that Mahomes is the best QB and FF QB.) I'm a Raiders fan, BTW, I have more reason to argue against it than anybody, but I can't.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Wed May 27, 2020 5:46 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:41 am Sorry, you misunderstand. I was agreeing with you. The argument through this thread, is that Lamar is the best FF/real QB, or he isn't.( and the one I created about Mahomes is that Mahomes is the best QB and FF QB.) I'm a Raiders fan, BTW, I have more reason to argue against it than anybody, but I can't.
To be fair, this thread began its life in 2018 with the title "should lamar jackson fanboys be concerned" :lol:

I think it's branding has always been fairly tongue-in-butt-cheek.

Didn't hurt that he broke fantasy scoring and blew away the field to an almost comical degree in his 2nd year on the job, though.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed May 27, 2020 6:21 am

mild wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:46 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:41 am Sorry, you misunderstand. I was agreeing with you. The argument through this thread, is that Lamar is the best FF/real QB, or he isn't.( and the one I created about Mahomes is that Mahomes is the best QB and FF QB.) I'm a Raiders fan, BTW, I have more reason to argue against it than anybody, but I can't.
To be fair, this thread began its life in 2018 with the title "should lamar jackson fanboys be concerned" :lol:

I think it's branding has always been fairly tongue-in-butt-cheek.

Didn't hurt that he broke fantasy scoring and blew away the field to an almost comical degree in his 2nd year on the job, though.
Actually, the thread was merged. Some other, older Lamar threads were added to the back of the titled one. The titled thread, was started by a certain poster claiming things in the midst of Lamar's height last year, riding the wave like it would never crash, and mocking those who believed otherwise, IMO. He was very up front about his claims, and I will make sure I point them out when they don't come to fruition, trust me, as a Raiders fan, I wouldn't do it other wise. :lol: The titled thread was indeed serious claim by the OP, no tongue in anything. :wtf:

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Wed May 27, 2020 2:49 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 11:16 am This is easy for me to say because my million dollar job isn't on the line, but if I were a GM and was able to field offers without it becoming public knowledge, I'd see what I can get for any QB outside of Mahomes and Rodgers (and some of the older guys like Brady and Brees who won't command much in the trade market).

I'd listen to offers for Lamar, simply because I believe he'd give a team a record-breaking haul. The return for him would be astronomical and then you sign Cam and see where that takes you.
Listening to offers means you are considering trading him. You dont even listen to offers on a 22 year old MVP. The only way anyone would think this is if they still dont fully trust Lamar. And i honestly dont know why anyone wouldnt trust him at this point (dont give me playoff records, Peyton Manning sucked in the playoffs in the beginning of his career). Mahomes is still the best right now, but another year of lamar with even 800-900 or so rushing yards and there will be a real argument for Lamar.