Lamar Jackson is the best QB in the NFL & Fantasy

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Lamar Jackson is the best QB in the NFL & Fantasy

Postby Patsfan86 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:21 am

Mahomes and Lamar are both great let me start out by saying that. But I just don’t understand why people are so afraid to hop on board the Lamar train and doubt him yet they were so ready to say “Mahomes is the best QB of all time, he can throw 60 TDS in 2020”. I was one of the minority who doubted Mahomes, I was wrong. Some people need to just stop hanging onto the Lamar isn’t this good opinion. He is this good, and his TD pace is definitely doable for multiple years unlike Mahomes last year. Lamar can throw between 35-40 tds every year and rush for around 10, Mahomes won’t throw 50 again. Not because he is a bad player but because it is an extremely difficult thing to do. Brady and Manning only had one 50 TD season. Lamar also has the higher floor due to the rushing, let’s not forget that. I also have a question, people keep talking about how Lamar won’t do this for 10-15 years but Mahomes can, does anyone really keep a player on their roster for that long? I’m sure a minority do but I’d say most don’t

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:29 am

Weknownothing86 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:21 am I also have a question, people keep talking about how Lamar won’t do this for 10-15 years but Mahomes can, does anyone really keep a player on their roster for that long? I’m sure a minority do but I’d say most don’t
Yeah I would bet most don't. It's interesting though to see the comparison of 2 entirely different players and injury being the only concern nowadays with them. The one with the much greater perceived injury risk is the healthy one right now. The other one, who was supposed to AT LEAST get 40 TD and 4000 yards is not looking so hot

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:08 am

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:01 am If anyone has Mahomes in a Superflex, they aren't trading him.
Fortunately the one SF league I own Mahomes in I also own Lamar, so I'm never trading either of them.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:09 am

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:01 am If anyone has Mahomes in a Superflex, they aren't trading him.
I think you could say the same thing about Lamar right now too though.

I also agree with the sentiment of projecting 10+ years out being silly.

A lot can change in that span, I remember when people said that they had their quarterback set for ten years after acquiring Andrew Luck.

Nanananananana
Starter
Starter

Postby Nanananananana » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:11 am

I love Lamar! He is carrying me to a championship currently, I hope it continues forever, but I have my doubts.
I think Lamar is here to stay and he will be a great quarterback for a long time, but I think this level of dominance is not going to continue, obviously. Teams will adjust and figure something out, this is not just Lamar this is the overall scheme. Greg Roman has orchestrated this sort of offense in the past for the 49ers, they went to the Super Bowl that year. This is not the exact same offense but it reminds me of the one year the chip Kelly had where he blew the doors off of everybody and that 49ers team that no one seem to have an answer for. This will get figured out.

That being said I think Lamar is an otherworldly talent and will be a top five fantasy QB for as long as he stays healthy and they can keep a good squad around him. I’m just gonna enjoy it while it’s happening even though they crushed my Jets last night

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:14 am

Phaded wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:09 am
I think you could say the same thing about Lamar right now too though.

I also agree with the sentiment of projecting 10+ years out being silly.

A lot can change in that span, I remember when people said that they had their quarterback set for ten years after acquiring Andrew Luck.
The argument was started over NFL teams and GMs taking Mahomes over Lamar, not fantasy owners, and then it's just become a muddied argument with some only talking fantasy and some talking real life. Looking to 10 years down the road is absolutely part of the equation when you are talking about who would go first in a real life draft among NFL teams.

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:27 am

Even projecting 10 years down the road in real life is kind of silly. In Mahomes instance Kelce will def be gone by the and Reid will most likely be retired. In lamars case Harbaugh May be gone. The coaches both these guys have are a HUGE reason for this success and they can’t be forgotten about. Who are you taking the next 5 years? That should be the time frame we really talk about for both fantasy and NFL purposes

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:29 am

Mahomes

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:47 am

Weknownothing86 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:27 am Even projecting 10 years down the road in real life is kind of silly. In Mahomes instance Kelce will def be gone by the and Reid will most likely be retired. In lamars case Harbaugh May be gone. The coaches both these guys have are a HUGE reason for this success and they can’t be forgotten about. Who are you taking the next 5 years? That should be the time frame we really talk about for both fantasy and NFL purposes
Further to this - Mahomes has been doing it with an elite supporting cast. Lamar has not had an elite supporting cast, there are a couple good players in there but no one is elite. If you plug Mahomes into the Ravens he is not going to have near the success that he has. If you put Lamar on the Chiefs I think he becomes even more dangerous to be perfectly honest because then you have to respect the likes of Hill & Kelce in addition to Lamar as a runner.

Ten years down the road - these guys are going to have completely different weapons around them. Mahomes may not be surrounded by the elite pass catchers he currently is, and Lamar's legs will not be as efficient as they are currently. Ten years down the road - fantasy or real life is a pretty silly projection to make. I mentioned in another thread that teams typically have a few year window to win Super Bowls, so looking for ten year stability is not always a good thing.

Right now - if I were to choose a quarterback who is more likely to win it on his own, I am taking Lamar.

Not to mention, somehow Lamar has the better durability and has done a better job of avoiding hits (which seems backwards to me).

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:56 am

The Ravens offensive line isn't elite? Their blocking scheme as a team including the WRs/TE/RBs isn't elite? Their defense is able to blitz more than any other team in the league and disrupt the other teams offense despite their secondary not being elite?

Lamar's supporting cast is exceptional and as a whole much better than Mahomes', Mahomes just has 2 big name All-Pro's (who were both made better by Mahomes presence).

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:10 am

bjd5211 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:56 amLamar's supporting cast is exceptional and as a whole much better than Mahomes', Mahomes just has 2 big name All-Pro's (who were both made better by Mahomes presence).
How are you measuring this?
In 2019 - KC ranks 3rd in pass protection and BAL ranks 10th in pass protection.

Travis Kelce was more efficient in yards per target and the same in touchdowns per target pre-Mahomes, since Mahomes he has since approximately a 25% uptick in targets so of course the raw numbers will make it look like he has been better.

Tyreek Hill had a better yards per target in 2017 than he did in 2018, pre-Mahomes. His yards per target has dropped even more this year.

So I think saying that these players were made better by Mahomes is untrue, these players are elite players - with or without Mahomes. If you want to say he elevates the average players then fine - but so does Lamar.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:55 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:15 am
mild wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:45 am
Unicorn92 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:50 pm Lamar is awesome but i do not expect for him to repeat this type of season the next few years. This type of efficiency is hard to replicate. Injuries risk are very high for him. We had already see runni'g qb and how injuries can affect their way to play the game. Right now i am still on the Mahomes side but notice how great Lamar is this year. If Lamar do it again next year so i will change my view
https://twitter.com/c0mradeCody/status/ ... 4114906115

Some people just don't want to see what's right in front of them.
Some people want to assume what is happening now will happen for a long period of time. What is right in front of them is a QB playing amazing football while running the ball more than a QB ever has. Nobody knows the long term outcome, once can only make an educated guess.
Whatever dude. You don't own him anywhere, you don't believe in him long term, and you're salty - I get that. But you know what I'm sick of? People moving the goalposts with this guy. We've heard it for two years straight now, and I'm oh-so sick of it.

"He's not a QB, his wonderlic is too low, he can't play the position" - pre draft
"If he's rushing it 17 times a game, that's not sustainable" - 2018
"This is all fine, but it's only week 3 - get back to me in week 15" - 2019
"Ok cool he lasted 1.5 seasons but I'm not going to believe this is truly sustainable until I see another season" - this f-ing guy ^^

It's just getting so so tired - nobody gives a f*** about the doubters anymore. Go start another doubter thread if that's what you want to do. Youngest QB to start a playoff game. Won the Heisman over Baker and Deshaun. Had more rushing yards than Saquon Barkley in the same span in college. Just broke Jameis' record for TD's as a 22 year old (smashed it, in fact - Jameis 28 passing TD, Jackson now has 33). Just broke Michael Vick's career rushing record.

And is your presumptive 2019 League MVP.

Can the correct amount of respect be put on the mans name already, please? Thanks.

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:13 am

The issue in the argument for Lamar going forward is that both camps can be correct. Lamar should improve as a QB going forward, but this could be the best FF season he ever has. Take Cam Newton. His 2nd best FF season was his rookie year with his best being his MVP season. Most would say Cam improved a lot after his rookie year and is better now than he was then, but that doesn't translate to FF numbers.

I love Lamar and targeted him in redraft all over the place. I'll most likely be playing in the championship in every single league I own him, but I'm of the mindset this season won't be duplicated statistically. Just like I said Mahomes would come back to earth. And Wentz the year before that. And Cam before that....you get the point. It seems that every single season we have a QB take FF by storm only to fall back to the pack. He may still be a top 5 guy, but he is being valued like Mahomes last year. I would enjoy the success Lamar brings you this year and would be selling high in the offseason.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:32 am

MVP... MVP...