Playoff secured - opinions on tanking to improve chances?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
dirkey
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Playoff secured - opinions on tanking to improve chances?

Postby dirkey » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:14 am

I heard a question asked on the Fantasy Footballers podcast last week, which I found interesting. Essentially, if you have your playoff berth locked up, is it acceptable to throw a game in order to potentially improve your playoff chances? The idea being, I believe, that eligible players would be played at all positions, but not necessarily the best options for the week at hand.

What do people here think of that, do they think it's acceptable or out of order?
12 Team, 25-man Roster (2 IR), Half point PPR, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE).

QB: Ryan, Tua, Fitzpatrick.
RB: McCaffrey, Chubb, Gibson, Gaskin, Bernard, Mack, Edwards, Hines, Kerryon.
WR: Hopkins, Moore, Chark, Landry, Chase, Waddle, Amon-Ra, Parker, Gallup, Shepard.
TE: Ebron, Higbee, Herndon.

Draft Picks
2022: 1st, 2nd, 2nd.
2023: 1st, 2nd, 3rd.
2024: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd.

megager
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Playoff secured - opinions on tanking to improve chances?

Postby megager » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:32 am

I think it's ok if there is no rule against it. Don't lots of NFL teams rest players week 17.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:35 am

Don't anger the Fake Football Gods
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Downs, Mims, Douglas, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.08, 1.14

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:14 am

megager wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:32 am I think it's ok if there is no rule against it. Don't lots of NFL teams rest players week 17.
Resting your fantasy football players doesn't mean anything. They still play the actual game.

I wouldn't do it. While you think you know who you'd prefer to see in the playoffs of the other teams, odds are good you'll pick wrong. And there's a good chance that you'll raise the ire of others in the league as losing on purpose by setting less than your best lineup is a very touchy issue.

While it's not tanking so you get a better draft pick, it's the same idea.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

megager
Role Player
Role Player

Postby megager » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:34 am

In a related question how about setting a line up in final game to get a higher pick if it doesn't affect playoffs but could give me a higher pick than someone else?

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:41 am

megager wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:34 am In a related question how about setting a line up in final game to get a higher pick if it doesn't affect playoffs but could give me a higher pick than someone else?
Same as previous. Many leagues specifically outlaw tanking. The ones that don't, you're risking creating a lot of ill-will. If your league already has a history of it and no one minds, that's a different story.

I'd stay away from such tactics.

The best way to eliminate the urge to tank is to set the rookie draft order by potential points so lineups don't affect draft order for non-playoff teams.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:50 am

Week to week performance in Fantasy Football is so unpredictable that it really doesn't make sense to try to "manufacture" an easier playoff match-up.

And I would say that tanking rules apply in all instances, even to playoff bound teams. Bear in mind, tanking isn't just about draft picks, it also skews the competitive balance as an opponent gets an easier win. Imagine where two wildcard contenders are playing 3rd parties, and one of those third parties (who has secured a playoff spot already) tanks to generate an easier playoff opponent, while the other wildcard contender has to play someone who isn't tanking. Well that's hugely unfair to the 2nd wildcard contender, as his wildcard rival would basically be gifted a win. Shitty way to lose or to win.

megager
Role Player
Role Player

Postby megager » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:56 am

Pac_Eddy wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:41 am
megager wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:34 am In a related question how about setting a line up in final game to get a higher pick if it doesn't affect playoffs but could give me a higher pick than someone else?
Same as previous. Many leagues specifically outlaw tanking. The ones that don't, you're risking creating a lot of ill-will. If your league already has a history of it and no one minds, that's a different story.

The best way to eliminate the urge to tank is to set the rookie draft order by potential points so lineups don't affect draft order for non-playoff teams.
I think the same as well..think karma would get me too. Draft Swift and he'd get hurt .... obviously worse for swift than me in that situation 😂
I've set my best possible line up despite I likely costing me a higher pick. But just wanted to see what people think.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:13 am

megager wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:56 am
Pac_Eddy wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:41 am

I think the same as well..think karma would get me too. Draft Swift and he'd get hurt .... obviously worse for swift than me in that situation 😂
I've set my best possible line up despite I likely costing me a higher pick. But just wanted to see what people think.
Good to hear.

I've only experienced one bad tanking incident. It was a fairly new league and many rules weren't documented. It was your situation exactly - a guy was locked in, set a weak lineup by benching his studs. It worked - he lost, the team he wanted in the playoffs won. He also ended up losing to that team in the first round of the playoffs.

It really put a damper on the fun of the league for a few years. The guy who missed the playoffs because of the tanking worked out that his now non-playoff team would've won the league had the guy set his normal lineup. He was very bitter. It still gets brought up from time to time.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:31 am

You're establishing a slippery slope by doing that. Wait until the one year you need someone else to beat another team so you can make playoffs, but they tank so that they can have a more favorable matchup.

I just wouldn't do it.

Hankybro21
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hankybro21 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:33 am

Nah set your best lineups and let the rest take care of itself. Neither of my leagues have a direct anti-tanking rule, but it’s understood that you’ll put your best foot forward each week
Team 1
Q: Allen, Lamar
W: Devonta, Nuk, Godwin, Adams, Diontae, MT, Bateman, Toney, Osborn
R: JT, Henry, Ekeler, Gibbs, Mattison, Ford
T: Kelce

Team 2
Q: Allen, Mahomes, ARich
W: Jefferson, AJB, Tyreek, GW, Ridley, Godwin, MT, Downs, Toney
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, Breece, J. Cook, Kamara
T: Kelce, Hock
2024: 1.02, 1.04, Pick 21
2025: 1st (early)

Team 3
Q: Lamar, Herbert, Goff, Geno
W: Chase, AJB, Waddle, Pittman, Ridley, MT, Terrace Marshall, Downs
R: CMC, Ekeler, Bijan, Barkley, JT, Kamara, Tucker
T: Andrews, Granson
2024: 1.03, 3rd (late)

Team 4
Q: Mahomes, Allen, Geno
W: Tyreek, Lamb, Ridley, Pittman, Diontae, MT
R: CMC, Henry, JT, Chubb, Dobbins, Tucker
T: Kelce, Gesicki, Kittle

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:35 am

I know I'm in the minority but I think the word "tanking" has been vilified by media and talking heads that many just join in to share that take. It's easier to just follow the crowd in front of you type of deal.

"Tanking" got the Cubs a world series and made the Astros one of the most dominant teams the past 3 seasons or so. "The Process" has made the 76ers a playoff team. The Browns have a lot of talent they wouldn't have otherwise. As a fan, I would much rather have a plan to bottom out (or "tank") than constantly pick around 10th (think Bengals, Redskins, etc).

As this pertains to fantasy the only rule I think that is necessary is to play an entire lineup of active players. That's it. Anything else is you trying to set a lineup for another team and you have no idea what is going to happen. Matt Ryan played the Bucs yesterday and was terrible. James Washington outscored Mike Evans. We can play that game every single week of every single year. If you tanked 2 seasons ago for Saquon Barkley, how is that working for you this year?

Even if you make a plan to lose every game for (insert number of seasons here) to accumulate assets there is another component to that plan that has to work. That person has to hit on those draft picks and trades. "Tanking" isnt a guarantee to success. I think you should be allowed to run your team the way you see fit. If you're completely out of the playoffs then you should be doing whatever is necessary to get the best draft pick you can. If it's overall record, then yeah I would be sitting my studs. If you want to play the matchup game for the playoffs, fine by me. I dont think that works out normally, but do you. Whatever that set up looks like in your league your focus should always be growth and making your team better for the long run. After all that is what dynasty is all about.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:50 am

If there's no rule against it, go for it. It's fantasy though, week to week any team can beat any team.

One of my leagues it seems like every week half of the league is setting garbage rosters to try and manipulate the standings. It affects much more than just the year end ranking of the team doing the tanking. We are likely moving to a possible points system, where the year end ranks are factored by the strength of your team rather than the result.
12 Team | SF | PPR | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Burrow
RB |
WR | Puka, Olave, Smith, Flowers, Dotson, Addison
TE | Pitts, Otton, Bellinger, Likely, Okonkwo
2024 | 1.01, 1.02, 4.01, 5.01
| 1stx3, 3rdx3

10 Team | SF | PPR | 2023 Champ
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Allen, Stroud, Young
RB | K Williams, White, Monty, Herbert, Chandler
WR | Lamb, AJB, Puka, Waddle, Mooney, J. Williams, Watson, Davis
TE | Andrews, Bellinger, Dulcich
2024 | 1.04, 3.10

12 Team | SF | PPR | 1.5TEP | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, FL, SF

QB | Herbert Lance
RB | ETN, Pacheco, K Williams, Singletary, Henry, A Jones, Warren
WR | ARSB, Wilson, Olave, DK, Puka, Flowers, Downs,
TE | Hockenson, Likely, Otton

dirkey
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby dirkey » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:17 am

Thanks for all responses folks. I found it an interesting topic, and was surprised by the answers the Footballers gave on the pod, they seemed in favour of it.

I'm not into it personally, I will always try and set my best lineup, regardless of potential outcomes. Always go for the W, that's my motto.
12 Team, 25-man Roster (2 IR), Half point PPR, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE).

QB: Ryan, Tua, Fitzpatrick.
RB: McCaffrey, Chubb, Gibson, Gaskin, Bernard, Mack, Edwards, Hines, Kerryon.
WR: Hopkins, Moore, Chark, Landry, Chase, Waddle, Amon-Ra, Parker, Gallup, Shepard.
TE: Ebron, Higbee, Herndon.

Draft Picks
2022: 1st, 2nd, 2nd.
2023: 1st, 2nd, 3rd.
2024: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd.

steelman
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby steelman » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:21 am

That's absolutely not ok. You should be attempting to win every week, even if you don't want to.

Set your best lineup every week and whatever happens, happens