Playoff secured - opinions on tanking to improve chances?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Re: Playoff secured - opinions on tanking to improve chances?

Postby moishetreats » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:07 am

Here's your workaround:

The highest seed playing each week gets to pick their opponent. (In some leagues that I have, you cannot pick the second-highest seeded opponent.) That way, there is no incentive to tank to improve your matchup.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

prinefan
All Pro
All Pro

Postby prinefan » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:59 am

Tanking for any reason is a douche move.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:22 am

jenkins.math wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:35 am "Tanking" got the Cubs a world series and made the Astros one of the most dominant teams the past 3 seasons or so. "The Process" has made the 76ers a playoff team. The Browns have a lot of talent they wouldn't have otherwise.
if it didn't work, there would be no need to forbid it... (not that it's working all that well for the browns, but well... they're the browns...)

i'm against willingly benching studs, if you don't want their points, fair enough, but you trade them away.
otherwise it just sucks, after a few weeks you have half the league going for it and the other half tanking making most of the regular season useful only for playoffs seeding, half of the good players would be sat on a weekly basis and trades would be harder to do. bit shite if you ask me.

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:23 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:14 am
megager wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:32 am I think it's ok if there is no rule against it. Don't lots of NFL teams rest players week 17.
Resting your fantasy football players doesn't mean anything. They still play the actual game.

I wouldn't do it. While you think you know who you'd prefer to see in the playoffs of the other teams, odds are good you'll pick wrong. And there's a good chance that you'll raise the ire of others in the league as losing on purpose by setting less than your best lineup is a very touchy issue.

While it's not tanking so you get a better draft pick, it's the same idea.
Has anyone else benched a star player that wasn't playing particularly well to send a message? :crazy:

But to answer your question tanking like that is not cool. It could potentially cause a team to make the playoffs thst shouldn't therefore knocking someone else out
QB - DWatson(HOU)Minshew(JAX)Darnold(NYJ)
RB -NChubb(CLE)DHenry(TEN)JTaylor(IND)Gurley(ATL)
WR -DHopkins(ARI)ACooper(DAL)CGodwin(TB)OBJ(CLE)
TE - HHenry(SD)DGoeddart(PHI)
K - Zurlien(LAR)Crosby(GB)
Def - ARI DAL
[rookie] Haskins(WAS)DSwift(DET)Jefferson(MIN)MHardman(KC)
7th pick in 2021

Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players don't take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd-year players that were drafted

purplepride28
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby purplepride28 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:38 pm

Usually the way tanking works in our (salary cap) league is the tankers sell off all their assets so that they won’t score. It’s not that big of a deal when it’s a 600$ buy in and they are most likely gonna be rebuilding for a few years after their tear down wasting 600$ a year for however many years. But most of them don’t put complete lineups in because they’ve sold them all.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:09 pm

moishetreats wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:07 am Here's your workaround:

The highest seed playing each week gets to pick their opponent. (In some leagues that I have, you cannot pick the second-highest seeded opponent.) That way, there is no incentive to tank to improve your matchup.
I keep trying to get this voted in for our leagues, but we always seem to have enough half-wits in the leagues to vote against it. Very frustrating. If I ever start or join a new league, I will make sure this rule is in place before I play. It's a brilliant rule.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:21 pm

As for the tanking to improve your playoff scenarios, I would carefully analyze your matchup and everyone else's matchup, as there are 2 scenarios to consider:

A) Your loss will only alter the playoff seeding, but it won't block someone from getting into the playoffs and/or allow an undeserving team into the playoffs

B) Your loss will alter who makes the playoffs & who doesn't

I literally have a week 13 game in 1 of my leagues where my team is undefeated, and I will be playing against another undefeated team this weekend (what are the chances of that?!?!?!). We will definitely be the 1 & 2 seed and have 1st round byes. The 3 and 6 seed teams are much weaker than the 4 & 5 seeded teams. So whoever gets to play the winner of the 3-versus-6 matchup will have a much easier week 15 matchup. As much as I would love to submit a lesser lineup to be the 2 seed (and try to play the 3 seed in week 15), I know that if I do this, karma will screw me over by giving the 6seed the win in week 14. So I'll play my studs.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:33 pm

purplepride28 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:38 pm Usually the way tanking works in our (salary cap) league is the tankers sell off all their assets so that they won’t score. It’s not that big of a deal when it’s a 600$ buy in and they are most likely gonna be rebuilding for a few years after their tear down wasting 600$ a year for however many years. But most of them don’t put complete lineups in because they’ve sold them all.
This is where a lot of people are getting terms mixed up.

For me, tanking = not starting your best lineup with intention to lose.

What you're describing is rebuilding, or tearing it all down by selling players for picks and/or upside players. That's a legit strategy.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Portsmouth Spartans
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Portsmouth Spartans » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:38 pm

Orenthal Shames wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:35 am Don't anger the Fake Football Gods
^
10 team standard, keeper with 5-year option contracts (remaining years in parentheses, $5 per additional year when extended), $200 salary cap. Start: 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE
2015, 2017 Champs

QB: Jackson ($8 3yr+extension)
RB: Mixon ($5 1yr+extension), Chubb ($5 2yr+extension), Sanders ($5 3yr+ extension), Michel ($5 1yr+extension), Guice ($5 2yr+extension)
WR: Godwin ($1 2yr+extension), AJ Brown ($3 3yr+extension), Chark ($8 3yr+extension), M. Brown ($3 3y +extension), Isabella ($3 3yr+ extension)
TE: Kittle ($3, 2yr+extension), Henry ($1 2yr+extension), Goedert ($1 3yr+extension)

2020: 1.01, 1.02, 1.03, 2.01, 2.04, 2.10
2021: 1 1st
2022: 2 1st
2023: 1 1st

ebsteelers
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ebsteelers » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:06 am

Portsmouth Spartans wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:38 pm
Orenthal Shames wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:35 am Don't anger the Fake Football Gods
^
100%

good chance it doesnt work out the way you want it to.

Dynasty_Analyst
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Dynasty_Analyst » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:11 am

All the leagues I'm in have anti-tanking laws. Usually applies to bad teams but you must always TRY and put your best lineup forward. Tanking to play what you deem to be an easier matchup in the playoffs should apply here as well. If you want to swap out similar guys and put in the one in the worse matchup I guess that's fine because who can tell you otherwise but you shouldn't be allowed to bench OBVIOUS starters
Fantasy Writer- 5 Yard Rush
@5yardrush @5yarddynasty
https://5yardrush.co.uk/

Content Creator- The Coaches Fantasy Podcast
@coachesfantasy Thefantasycoaches.com

@Dynasty_Analyst - Dynasty content, advice, and tidbits. Hit me up anytime to chat about your dynasty team if you need trade advice, input on the direction to move your team, or anything else.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:24 am

Pac_Eddy wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:33 pm
purplepride28 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:38 pm Usually the way tanking works in our (salary cap) league is the tankers sell off all their assets so that they won’t score. It’s not that big of a deal when it’s a 600$ buy in and they are most likely gonna be rebuilding for a few years after their tear down wasting 600$ a year for however many years. But most of them don’t put complete lineups in because they’ve sold them all.

the dolphins sent a lot of players away, and we call that tanking.
tanking is tanking. not putting up your best line up is just being a bit of a cuntstain.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:39 am

killer_of_giants wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:24 am
Pac_Eddy wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:33 pm

the dolphins sent a lot of players away, and we call that tanking.
tanking is tanking. not putting up your best line up is just being a bit of a cuntstain.
Many leagues have anti-tanking rules. That doesn't mean you can't sell off your older player for picks though. I think tanking means lineup fraud more than how you define it.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:57 am

Pac_Eddy wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:39 am
killer_of_giants wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:24 am the dolphins sent a lot of players away, and we call that tanking.
Many leagues have anti-tanking rules. That doesn't mean you can't sell off your older player for picks though. I think tanking means lineup fraud more than how you define it.
yep, that's my whole point, they're improperly called "anti-tanking".
i get that "anti-being a bit of a cuntstain" may not be that agile in day-to-day usage (though it has a nice ring to it!) so no problem with the "improper" use.

however, "tanking" in the way real life nfl teams "tank" is legal in most leagues. sitting studs and being cunts isn't as accepted.

abajaba
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby abajaba » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:36 am

Had a chance to do this last year, decided against it to not piss off the fantasy football gods... won the championship. To each their own.
8 Team PPR Year 8: 2/3/4/1/DEF
2016 & 2018 Champion :dance:
QB-Rivers,Cousins,Eli,Tannehill
RB-Gurley,Fournette,Connor,Bell,McKinnon,Dion Lewis,Ballage,Yeldon,Doug Martin
WR-Evans,Nuk,Cooks,Diggs,ARob,Woods,John Brown,Doctson,Boyd,Ross,
TE-Kittle,Graham,Doyle

Rookie Picks: '19 - 3.8/4.8; '20 - 2nd/4th