Page 1 of 2

Trade Calculators and Dynasty Forums/Groups

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:59 am
by nicktahoes
As helpful as those tools can be, doesn't it seem like they also hinder trading?

I think most people take them too literally and use them as scripture when it comes to a trade. There is so much "advise" out there that a lot of owners don't really think outside of the values if them. Or they see what other people have posted what they received for a player and expect that in their own league.

Re: Trade Calculators and Dynasty Forums/Groups

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:05 am
by killer_of_giants
nicktahoes wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:59 am
As helpful as those tools can be, doesn't it seem like they also hinder trading?

I think most people take them too literally and use them as scripture when it comes to a trade.
when that's the case, use it to your advantage.

Re: Trade Calculators and Dynasty Forums/Groups

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:07 am
by Mjvb5
killer_of_giants wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:05 am
nicktahoes wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:59 am
As helpful as those tools can be, doesn't it seem like they also hinder trading?

I think most people take them too literally and use them as scripture when it comes to a trade.
when that's the case, use it to your advantage.
yup, if someone send me a trade calc pic, I'll normally figure out what it is and counter based off its values

Re: Trade Calculators and Dynasty Forums/Groups

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:12 am
by abloom
Mjvb5 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:07 am
killer_of_giants wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:05 am
nicktahoes wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:59 am
As helpful as those tools can be, doesn't it seem like they also hinder trading?

I think most people take them too literally and use them as scripture when it comes to a trade.
when that's the case, use it to your advantage.
yup, if someone send me a trade calc pic, I'll normally figure out what it is and counter based off its values
Yup thats what I do too.

Re: Trade Calculators and Dynasty Forums/Groups

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:59 am
by hingle
Mjvb5 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:07 am
killer_of_giants wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:05 am
nicktahoes wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:59 am
As helpful as those tools can be, doesn't it seem like they also hinder trading?

I think most people take them too literally and use them as scripture when it comes to a trade.
when that's the case, use it to your advantage.
yup, if someone send me a trade calc pic, I'll normally figure out what it is and counter based off its values
I don't think I have ever had anyone send over a trade with a trade calc picture attached. Honestly, I don't think I have ever had anyone even mention a trade calc to me during trade talks. Does this happen frequently?

Re: Trade Calculators and Dynasty Forums/Groups

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:54 am
by Orenthal Shames
My pet peeve is that people use these to just cobble a bunch of meh pieces together until the balance is comparable to that of a stud.

Sure, I'll take your 8 borderline startable players in exchange for my one stud player :wall:

Re: Trade Calculators and Dynasty Forums/Groups

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:59 am
by CGW
Everyone in my leagues sees the dtc values when trades are offered. Sometimes the values seem decent, other times they are obviously skewed. I use them as a baseline for values of players, but it would be a terrible idea to base a trade off the calculator value without putting in some of your own due diligence. Some of my best trades have been very one sided against me according to trade calculators.

As far as hindering trading, I'm sure it goes both ways. People will use calc values as a reason not to trade, but others will see them as validation and be more likely to trade.

Re: Trade Calculators and Dynasty Forums/Groups

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:01 pm
by Pac_Eddy
Orenthal Shames wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:54 am
My pet peeve is that people use these to just cobble a bunch of meh pieces together until the balance is comparable to that of a stud.

Sure, I'll take your 8 borderline startable players in exchange for my one stud player :wall:
I am very wary of giving up roster spaces. The DLF trade analyzer does a good job of accounting for that and also showing how much value it's placing on roster spaces.

Re: Trade Calculators and Dynasty Forums/Groups

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:40 pm
by BigJoeWall72
hingle wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:59 am
I don't think I have ever had anyone send over a trade with a trade calc picture attached. Honestly, I don't think I have ever had anyone even mention a trade calc to me during trade talks. Does this happen frequently?
Same. Never once in dynasty have I had someone reference a trade calculator to me in support of their offer or in rejection of mine... and I've been playing this game for a long time across many leagues.

When I begin to form a trade offer, I use past trades in that league, roster needs, future outlook of rosters, etc. to piece together an offer. Trade markets and player values just differ too drastically across leagues for me to even consider evaluating an offer using a trade calculator, even if it is somewhat "calibrated" to league scoring and settings.

Re: Trade Calculators and Dynasty Forums/Groups

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:41 pm
by Prison_Mike
I only use them in trade talks when an owner and I are way off on our valuations

If an owner continuously sends me offers that are largely in his favor, I'll use a calculator to show that I'm not just overvaluing my players when I continue to reject your trades.

Actually, I have a guy in my home league that has sent me bad trades way too many times. So if I ever have a trade idea for him, I'll send it a screenshot of a calculator because his valuations seem to just be way off. So if I can establish a fair & unbiased starting point, we might be more likely to reach a compromise (although it hasn't worked yet, we've never made a deal lol)

I'll also use it if an owner is insulted by my offer lol
(I've only ever done this once and I don't think the trade was as insulting as he made it out to be)

Calculators are not completely accurate but they absolutely provide an unbiased assessment of player/pick values and can be useful in that regard.

Re: Trade Calculators and Dynasty Forums/Groups

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:44 pm
by Straycatz2
I think when you are new to dynasty, you use trade calculators a lot more and as you get familiar with the system people learn to use their own evaluations. I know when I first started I had no idea how to value picks vs players and used calcs a ton and as time progresses use them less.

Also if you know someone is using a certain type of website/calculator I think that it can benefit you and helps trades in the way that you know how they evaluate players so then you don't have to waste your time since you can already look at calculators to see if the trade is close.

Re: Trade Calculators and Dynasty Forums/Groups

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:45 pm
by killer_of_giants
Prison_Mike wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:41 pm
Calculators are not completely accurate but they absolutely provide an unbiased assessment of player/pick values and can be useful in that regard.
well not really. just not your bias.

Re: Trade Calculators and Dynasty Forums/Groups

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:55 pm
by Prison_Mike
killer_of_giants wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:45 pm
Prison_Mike wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:41 pm
Calculators are not completely accurate but they absolutely provide an unbiased assessment of player/pick values and can be useful in that regard.
well not really. just not your bias.
Agreed, I just meant a third party

Re: Trade Calculators and Dynasty Forums/Groups

Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:52 am
by nicktahoes
Orenthal Shames wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:54 am
My pet peeve is that people use these to just cobble a bunch of meh pieces together until the balance is comparable to that of a stud.

Sure, I'll take your 8 borderline startable players in exchange for my one stud player :wall:
Yup that's one of my points. The old "4 quarters for a buck" thing

Re: Trade Calculators and Dynasty Forums/Groups

Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:56 am
by nicktahoes
Pac_Eddy wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:01 pm
Orenthal Shames wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:54 am
My pet peeve is that people use these to just cobble a bunch of meh pieces together until the balance is comparable to that of a stud.

Sure, I'll take your 8 borderline startable players in exchange for my one stud player :wall:
I am very wary of giving up roster spaces. The DLF trade analyzer does a good job of accounting for that and also showing how much value it's placing on roster spaces.
Well it depends on the player you have to drop in a 2 for 1 trade. If you have deep rosters your "30th player" really isn't worth that much. Giving up that bottom of the roster player is not a reason to reject a trade. This is one of the reasons I posted this question.