Will Ryan Tannehill be a Starting NFL QB in 2020?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Will Ryan Tannehill be a Starting NFL QB in 2020?

Postby jenkins.math » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:23 am

The Titans can save 10 million in cap space by cutting both Dion Lewis and Delanie Walker, which I would expect the Titans to do.

Rumor has it around Nashville that the Titans havent even discussed an extension with Henry so perhaps they aren't planning on paying him big money? No idea, but remember their GM and HC come from the Pats organization which has always just plugged RBs in and never made that position a high paid priority.

I think they will bring Tanny back, but like others in this thread and others have said, this recent success has told me more about the guys that aren't doing much than the ones that are performing. This winning streak makes Mariota look worse and worse and I never thought he was that great (and I'm a Titans fan). This also puts to rest the Corey Davis stans. You can show me any advanced metric you want, but like Sammy Watkins, it doesn't translate. I'd take any random 2nd for CD and would probably take a 3rd at this point. He is borderline droppable in shallow leagues and looks like a roster clogger. If he wasnt taken at pick 5 overall in the NFL draft would we even roster him at this point?

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:25 am

Kaz wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:59 am I mean, TEN is clearing 20m off the books from Mariota. I don't see any reason they couldn't pivot and give him a deal in that range or perhaps the one Brisset signed earlier this year. The question is how much Tannehill will want.
That is indeed a key question - how much will Tannehill (or at least his agent) want versus how much will a team be open to spending.

I would think he could at least command a deal similar to Nick Foles - if the demand is there. His last contract - which was an extension with the Dolphins in 2015 was 4 years 77m.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:34 am

CGW wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:57 am I overlooked this guy. I was blinded by the Tennessee sucks theme, and it turns out most of that fell on Mariota. I'm still not ready to say Tennessee is good, but they took a step forward with Tannehill.

I can't see Tennessee not retaining him in one way or the other. I won't pretend to know much about contracts, but I do think they will also bring in a rookie for competition and backup plan.

What I am ready to do is say Davis is not a good fantasy WR, and am thankful all of my efforts to get him last off season failed.
Don't forget Corey Davis. :biggrin:
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:55 am

Henry will be interesting because if they give him a contract similar to what some high-end running backs have been getting, I think they will regret it. However, he's been a key part of their offense so far. I think resigning Tannehill is a lot more obvious.

hoos89
Legend
Legend

Postby hoos89 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:46 am

Phaded wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:55 am Henry will be interesting because if they give him a contract similar to what some high-end running backs have been getting, I think they will regret it. However, he's been a key part of their offense so far. I think resigning Tannehill is a lot more obvious.
There's so many RBs coming out this season though. They should probably just grab one in the 2nd or 3rd.
Team 1: 2012-2016
2013 Champion, 2012 Runner-Up

Team 2: 12 Team PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 R/W/T, 23 man rosters, est. 2016
2021 Champion, 2020 Runner-up
Tua, Purdy Geno, Carr
JT, Ekeler, Mostert, Javonte, Chuba, D. Harris, M. Carter, J. Hill, Spiller
Chase, AJB, Amon-Ra, Aiyuk, Olave, DJM, Dell
Andrews, McBride, Engram
IR(3): Chubb, M. Williams, Rodgers
Taxi(4): J. Palmer, Tolbert, T. Palmer
2024 Picks: 3, 4, 5

Team 3: 12 Team PPR, 6 pt Pass TD - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 3 R/W/T, 28 man rosters, est. 2019
2021 Champion, 2022 Runner-up
Jackson, Love, Tannehill, Z. Wilson
Barkley, Mixon, Mostert, J. Wilson, CEH, Gaskin, J. Hill
J. Jefferson, Diggs, Waddle, Evans, Metcalf, Sutton, R. Moore, Slayton, Berrios, Carter, Dortch, Powell, Raymond
Kelce, Dissly, Hooper
2024 Picks: 1

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:55 am

Since week 6 (when he took over in relief) Tannehill has been

QB10 in Passing Yardage
QB5 in Passing TDs
QB5 in Completion %
QB1 in Yards / Pass Attempt

only had 1 multi INT game (2 INTs week 9)

Depending on your league scoring likely comes in (over the span of Week 6-16) as QB5-10 in points.

And this weeks loss against the New Orleans Saints - Tannehill had his 5th passer rating over 130.

Some of this is going to be right situation, right time, but regardless every week adds more evidence that Tannehill is going to either be a longish term answer in Tennessee (ie 2-3 years) or coveted by another team as a starting QB.

https://titansized.com/2019/12/17/titan ... ract-2020/
https://whodatdish.com/2019/12/22/new-o ... l-offense/

kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby kmbryant09 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:55 am

I think you guys will be surprised by the size of Tannehill's contract based on some of the comments in this thread.

I bet he signs a 4-yr, $120M contract with about ~2 years' worth of guarantees.
10-team/.5 PPR/5 Pts per Passing TD. Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLEX (rb/wr/te)
QB: J. Hurts, K. Murray
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Toney, A. Iosivas
TE: K. Pitts, E. Engram, C. Okonkwo, G. Dulcich

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:13 am

I would not be shocked at all by that.

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:03 am

kmbryant09 wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:55 am I think you guys will be surprised by the size of Tannehill's contract based on some of the comments in this thread.

He will get franchised before he gets that.

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:26 pm

Miami might need a starting QB :thumbup: :think:

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:15 am

jenkins.math wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:03 am
kmbryant09 wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:55 am I think you guys will be surprised by the size of Tannehill's contract based on some of the comments in this thread.

He will get franchised before he gets that.
Completely agree.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:14 am

While Tannehill could not be said to have done anything significant this week - he still may have done something significant.

1 - He beat the Patriots in NE in the playoffs.

Again while little of this was on Tannehill himself, he was still the starting QB and that alone will count for something. Plus the 1st team to beat the Patriots at home in the Playoffs in 8 years (2012).

2 - He did not implode against Bill Belichick

Not to mention a key 3 & 10 against the Patriots pass rush for a TD

https://clutchpoints.com/titans-video-r ... -patriots/

Again, not saying Tannehill was the reason the Titans advanced - just that because he was involved, that is going to count for something going forward.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:01 pm

ArrylT wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:14 am While Tannehill could not be said to have done anything significant this week - he still may have done something significant.

Again while little of this was on Tannehill himself, he was still the starting QB and that alone will count for something. Plus the 1st team to beat the Patriots at home in the Playoffs in 8 years (2012).

Again, not saying Tannehill was the reason the Titans advanced - just that because he was involved, that is going to count for something going forward.
Counterpoint: Derrick Henry just rolled the Patriots and effectively won the game for the Titans. Henry is also a free agent and he has made it very difficult for the Titans to move on from him with this performance. I’m not sure this win adds much leverage for Tannehill.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:11 pm

ericanadian wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:01 pm
ArrylT wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:14 am While Tannehill could not be said to have done anything significant this week - he still may have done something significant.

Counterpoint: Derrick Henry just rolled the Patriots and effectively won the game for the Titans. Henry is also a free agent and he has made it very difficult for the Titans to move on from him with this performance. I’m not sure this win adds much leverage for Tannehill.
Agreed that Henry did much of the heavy lifting this week. :) All I am basically saying is that it adds more leverage to the Tannehill is a starting QB in 2020 (and beyond) narrative. Not that I think there was much opposition at this point - especially not in NFL circles. Might not be much, but everything helps when it comes to negotiating your next contract.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:52 pm

Henry had all 75 yards on that one TD drive if I recall correctly