Will Ryan Tannehill be a Starting NFL QB in 2020?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Shcritters
MVP
MVP

Re: Will Ryan Tannehill be a Starting NFL QB in 2020?

Postby Shcritters » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:21 pm

Yup, tag him or sign him to a 2-year deal and also draft a young QB to develop behind him. I don't follow the Titans super closely, but they don't seem to have glaring holes where they need to draft someone in the 1st. The problem is that all the good QB's will be taken by the time they will be drafting.
Gopher Two
PPR SF, WR & TE Premium (WR 1.2 PPR , TE 1.5 PPR), 10 total starters, 1 QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Mahomes, Prescott, Mayfield
RB: Hall, Pacheco, Jacobs, Connor, Chubb, Mattison
WR: Tyreek, AJ Brown, Flowers, CSutton, JJeudy, Slayton, Iosivas
TE: McBride, DSchultz, Musgrave, Kraft, MGesicki
2024: 1.02, 2.02
2022 and 2023 League Champ

SafeLeague #1 (12 team, SF, 2.0 PPR TE Prem). 10 total starters 1 QB, 1SF (QB/TE/RB/WR), 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Purdy, Levis, DTR
RB: Pacheco + scrubs
WR: Downs, MMims, EMoore, Jeudy, MWilson + scrubs
TE: Hock, Kincaid, Pitts, Mayer + scrubs
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.11, 2.01, 2.02, 2.06,
2025: 2 1sts, 2 2nds

SafeLeague #2
QB: Purdy, Richardson, Hooker, Willis
RB: literal ZERO RB (for now)
WR: Mingo, MMims, Toney, Skyy, Iosivas
TE: LaPorta, Kincaid, McBride, Mayer, Musgrave, Schoonmaker (and a bunch more 2nd stringers)
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.06, 1.08, 1.09, 1.10, 2.01, 2.05, 2.06
2025: 1 1st, 1 2nd

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:48 pm

Shcritters wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:21 pm Yup, tag him or sign him to a 2-year deal and also draft a young QB to develop behind him. I don't follow the Titans super closely, but they don't seem to have glaring holes where they need to draft someone in the 1st. The problem is that all the good QB's will be taken by the time they will be drafting.
Titans typically do not make good decisions.

I wouldnt put it past them to commit to Tannehill and completely ignore the QB position entirely

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:38 am

Considering the Titans are 5-1 since Tannehill took over and he has been a positive factor in driving the offence forward - I am not sure how drafting a Rookie QB & having to adapt a new system to fit that QB should be considered the "good idea". Maybe Tannehill is not worthy of being considered anything more than a 'good QB' and there is a chance they miss out on a special talent at QB but NFL teams tend not to fix what isnt broken.

In any case from a fantasy perspective, owners that had Tannehill on their rosters should be overjoyed from this season because he's been a QB1 since taking over - and thats a huge help in 1QB leagues if you picked up off waivers or had on your bench in SF/2QB leagues.

One thing people may forget, and does tend to portend long term success, is that Tannehill was a multi-sport multi-position convert. He is not a player who grew up being a QB from Day I and his first serious action as QB in college was not until 2010. So he basically had 1 1/2 years as a full-time QB before being drafted in the NFL. I dont think the stats from his first 4 years in the NFL really tell the complete picture but he made strides every year in his 1st 4 years and he was on the cusp of becoming a perennial QB1 in 2016 when that injury hit & subsequent ACL before 2017 somewhat derailed his career. I could be mistaken, but I think this had more of an impact on him, being a positional convert, in his development as a QB.

Anyways none of this is to suggest Tannehill is elite, just that he is overlooked & often undervalued, and has already had more success than many rookie QBs (even 1st round draft picks) will ever attain. In the end, if Tannehill is suddenly too expensive then financially it may be the better decision to go with the young rookie route - but my guess is that Tannehill will at best end up in the middle of the pack when it comes to franchise QBs - probably $15-20m a year - which with the continued salary cap increases is not likely to be an onerous burden on the Titans cap (especially with Mariotas 20m gone).
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:32 am

Pac_Eddy wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:40 pm
Phaded wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:54 pm
Pac_Eddy wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:08 am Reports say the Titans may franchise him. I think they retain him one way or another.

I don't think they should. I hope they invest in a rookie.
I don't know..
They might end up creeping into the playoffs with him which would change things..
That might change things for them, but not me. If I'm Tennessee, I draft a QB high no matter what.
Well if they make the playoffs, the odds of them hitting on a QB at the back of the first are exceedingly low - statistically speaking. I mean, they grabbed Mariota at #2 overall and we know how that worked out - not long ago Jake Locker was also a high 1st for them.

Tannehill is "only 31" and if he's actually this good moving forward, they could get a good 3-4 years out of him. If they think they can take the division over, it would make sense to invest elsewhere in the 1st since they are usually reaches.

ckrumm24
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby ckrumm24 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:08 am

Well if they make the playoffs, the odds of them hitting on a QB at the back of the first are exceedingly low - statistically speaking. I mean, they grabbed Mariota at #2 overall and we know how that worked out - not long ago Jake Locker was also a high 1st for them.

Tannehill is "only 31" and if he's actually this good moving forward, they could get a good 3-4 years out of him. If they think they can take the division over, it would make sense to invest elsewhere in the 1st since they are usually reaches.
Agree 100%
12 team IDP Salary Cap w/ contracts 40 man roster + 20 taxi spots | 4 year max contract w/ Franchise(1)/Transition(2)/RFA Tags). Mostly mirrors real NFL.

Full Roster:
https://www59.myfantasyleague.com/2020/ ... =0008&O=07

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:28 pm

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/sort ... 16-10abi8e

If NFL Organizations read this article it is pretty much a guarantee that Tannehill will be a starter in 2020. ;) Here are some tidbits

"Tannehill joins Aaron Rodgers as the only quarterbacks in NFL history to complete 75 percent of their passes and record a passer rating of 130 or higher for three consecutive games."

"Tannehill joins Russell Wilson as the only quarterbacks in NFL history with four consecutive games of two passing touchdowns and a quarterback rating of 125 or higher."

"Tannehill's adjusted yards per attempt of 10.19 is tops in the NFL. His previous career high was 7.3 ANYA. His average Intended Air Yards this season is 9.2 yards, behind only Matthew Stafford, Jameis Winston, Russell Wilson and Dak Prescott. "
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:31 pm

Honestly - it's kind of insane how good he has been.
...and I traded him away for Auden Tate in my 18tm league in which my only quarterback is now Jameis Winston.
...hm. Don't do as I do.

dizzler
Role Player
Role Player

Postby dizzler » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:56 pm

I think the Titans sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal. It would be cheaper to sign him for multiple years vs franchise tag him for another year. I agree with him getting 15-20 mill if they extend him. If they sign him, they should take a Qb on day 2 or late day 1. Spending high capitol on a Qb when you just signed a veteran to a decent contract makes little sense to me financially. Draft an Edge opposite of Landry to complete the Dline for the future with Wake most likely retiring soon or a DB to help as they have always struggled there. There's no promise Adoree will be anything better than a Bradley Roby type. That defense is very young and has a ton of potential in the future to grow and develop. They should continue to address that this year

I was still a Mariota stan coming into this year, I will admit my wrongs. He's gotta go and I'm fully on the Tannehill train at least for the remainder of the year. You have no idea how exciting it is actually watching your favorite teams Qb throw the ball successfully for more than 8 yards after having Mariota for 5 years :lol:

On the Davis note, I believed in the beginning of the year AJ was the Titans WR1 over Davis immediately. Not so much calling AJ out as a stud, but more so I believe Davis is at best a NFL WR2. I did and still do think AJ was the best overall WR in this draft class. I jumped off the Davis train midway into last year. Him and Mariota have been given excuse after excuse each year but they just simply aren't "IT."
Team 1 - Super Kamario Bros (12 Team - PPR) ( QB -1 , RB -2 , WR - 2, Te -1, FLX - 1, SuperFLX - 1, DP - 2, K- 1)
QB -Wentz, Newton, Ryan, Haskins (R)
RB -Zeke, Kamara, Drake, Ballage; Thompson, Ajayi
WR - D Hopkins, Julio, A. Miller, Coutee, AJ Brown (R) , Marvin Jones, Mclaurin (R),
Te -Delanie, Ebron, Oliver (R)
2020:3, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Kerryon Luggage (12 Team - 2TE PPR) ( QB -1 , RB -2 , WR - 2, Te -2, FLX - 1, SuperFLX - 1, DP - 2, K- 1)
QB - Jimmy G, Josh Allen, Mariota
RB - Kerryon, Jamaal Will, Drake, Ballage, Miles Sanders (R), Justice Hill (R), Myles Gaskins (R)
Wr - Micheal Thomas, Zay Jones, Curtis Samuel, Crowder, Coutee, Aj Brown (R), Marquise Brown (R), Keesean Johnson (R), Kelvin Harmon (R)
Te- Engram, Oj Howard, Josh Oliver (R)
2020: 3,3,3, 5

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:08 pm

The Titans need to re sign him. It's as simple as that.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:09 pm

This is going to be a tricky situation. He's averaging just under 10 yards per attempt with a 73.4 completion percentage. Those are ridiculous and obviously unsustainable numbers. Tannehill leads the NFL right now in:

- Yards per attempt
- Yards per completion
- Passer Rating

The Titans have no choice but to bring him back, but I'm wondering what he'll look like once regression hits and/if they don't re-sign Derrick Henry.

ckrumm24
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby ckrumm24 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:07 pm

I usually understand doubting later career resurgence but if you look at his history/context it really isn’t that absurd to think he has the talent to be a top 10 QB. He was on an awful team, with an awfully run franchise, and was injured every other year. Now he’s behind one of the better O-lines in the league with an above average defense and weapons galore. I thought the Titans offensive scheme was just unimaginative, but it turns out Marriota was the awful one. If I were the Titans I’ve seen enough to offer him a multi year deal with the ability to get out of it after the 2nd year if needed and build the rest of my team through the draft.
12 team IDP Salary Cap w/ contracts 40 man roster + 20 taxi spots | 4 year max contract w/ Franchise(1)/Transition(2)/RFA Tags). Mostly mirrors real NFL.

Full Roster:
https://www59.myfantasyleague.com/2020/ ... =0008&O=07

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:54 am

I think a lot of what happens with Tannehill is dependent on Henry and the Titan's cap situation. If the Titans let tannehill reach free agency (ie no franchise tag) then I think there are other teams that put in competitive offers (Tampa Bay, Cinci, Carolina, maybe another team or two). If they decide to franchise Tannehill, then they have to work out a deal with Henry who is coming off a good 18 months.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:57 am

I overlooked this guy. I was blinded by the Tennessee sucks theme, and it turns out most of that fell on Mariota. I'm still not ready to say Tennessee is good, but they took a step forward with Tannehill.

I can't see Tennessee not retaining him in one way or the other. I won't pretend to know much about contracts, but I do think they will also bring in a rookie for competition and backup plan.

What I am ready to do is say Davis is not a good fantasy WR, and am thankful all of my efforts to get him last off season failed.
12 Team | SF | PPR | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Burrow
RB |
WR | Puka, Olave, Smith, Flowers, Dotson, Addison
TE | Pitts, Otton, Bellinger, Likely, Okonkwo
2024 | 1.01, 1.02, 4.01, 5.01
| 1stx3, 3rdx3

10 Team | SF | PPR | 2023 Champ
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Allen, Stroud, Young
RB | K Williams, White, Monty, Herbert, Chandler
WR | Lamb, AJB, Puka, Waddle, Mooney, J. Williams, Watson, Davis
TE | Andrews, Bellinger, Dulcich
2024 | 1.04, 3.10

12 Team | SF | PPR | 1.5TEP | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, FL, SF

QB | Herbert Lance
RB | ETN, Pacheco, K Williams, Singletary, Henry, A Jones, Warren
WR | ARSB, Wilson, Olave, DK, Puka, Flowers, Downs,
TE | Hockenson, Likely, Otton

Kaz
Captain
Captain

Postby Kaz » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:59 am

I mean, TEN is clearing 20m off the books from Mariota. I don't see any reason they couldn't pivot and give him a deal in that range or perhaps the one Brisset signed earlier this year. The question is how much Tannehill will want.
QB: Brees, Ryan
RB: J.Taylor, K.Hunt, R.Jones, Dillon, McKinnon
WR: D.Adams, T.Hill, A.Rob, Lockett, Anderson, P.Campbell, C.Samuel
TE: Kittle, Olsen, D.Sample
DL: Ngakoue, E.Griffen, J.Sweat, Bowser
LB: Mosley, D.Jones, Warner, Treviathan, R. Evans, Okereke, M.Harrison
DB: J.Johnson, T.Mathieu, T.Walker, J.Jones, X.Woods

djeternal2
Captain
Captain

Postby djeternal2 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:07 am

This offseason will be very interesting for the Titans. They have 2 very important UFA (Henry & Conklin) that will likely command big $ to retain. They may be looking to bring back a third in Logan Ryan who is making $10 mil this year. And then on top of all of that they will have to offer a pretty massive contract to Tanny to entice him not to test the FA market. Tanny is 31 and this might be his last chance to cash in big so looking at the QB landscape around the league it will be very tempting to test the market and hope some desperate team is willing to overpay for his services.
10 tm ppr 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 Flex, TE, K, TDEF (Yr 6)
QB - Ryan, Wentz
RB - Gurley, A Jones, Cohen, Kerryon, Dam Williams, Duke, I Smith, Armstead, T Carson
WR - AJG, Watkins, ARob, A. Cooper, K Allen, M Williams, Godwin, Callaway, JJAW
TE - Gesicki, I Smith, Herndon, Eifert, Sternberger, Dissly

10 tm TE prem 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, K, 2 DB, 2 DL, 2 LB (Yr 5)
QB - Mahomes, Mayfield, Wentz,
RB - Zeke, Chubb, Kerryon, Duke, Edmonds, B Hill
WR - Nuk, AJG, ARob, JJS, Samuel, MVS, T Smith, D Hamilton, Gallup, K Johnson
TE - Njoku, Eifert, Herndon, I Smith, I Thomas, Moreau
DL - Watt, K Clark, Q Williams
LB - D Jones, D Bush
DB - K Neal, Bell

DLF Early Birds - 16 tm SF (1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex, 1 SF
QB - A Rodgers, Darnold, Rosen, M Rudolph, Luck
RB - Damian Williams, J Howard, Duke, AP, Gore
WR - Julio, Golladay, Kirk, Stills, Manny Sanders, N Harry
TE - Jarwin, Gesicki, Boyle, Sprinkle