Diontae Johnson is...... maybe really really good?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
skinfanjon
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Diontae Johnson is...... maybe really really good?

Postby skinfanjon » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:54 pm

CGW wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:13 am
skinfanjon wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:28 am What are people doing with him this week? I had a bye and will be deciding between him, Tonyan, Beasley, and maybe even Gage (if Julio is out again) for my last flex spot in TE premium.

Those drops were brutal so hes definitely not an auto start if you have reasonable options.
Tough question. If I was favored to win I'd play tonyan for a safe floor.

If I was an underdog and needed the upside, I'd prob still lean Diontae. He put up 116yards and a TD against Cincinnati a few weeks ago.
I'm the 1 seed and had most points in the regular season but its a very competitive league. Any of the remaining teams could win. Its FFPC so not h2h, just a two week total.

Watching him get the hook last night was really disconcerting, plus Pittsburgh has been struggling. It shouldn't be hard to beat Cincy but I'm not expecting an explosion either.

Its early in the week but its hard to feel good about putting him out there. Really curious what others are doing.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:10 pm

skinfanjon wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:54 pm
skinfanjon wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:28 am What are people doing with him this week? I had a bye and will be deciding between him, Tonyan, Beasley, and maybe even Gage (if Julio is out again) for my last flex spot in TE premium.

Those drops were brutal so hes definitely not an auto start if you have reasonable options.

If I was an underdog and needed the upside, I'd prob still lean Diontae. He put up 116yards and a TD against Cincinnati a few weeks ago.
I'm the 1 seed and had most points in the regular season but its a very competitive league. Any of the remaining teams could win. Its FFPC so not h2h, just a two week total.

Watching him get the hook last night was really disconcerting, plus Pittsburgh has been struggling. It shouldn't be hard to beat Cincy but I'm not expecting an explosion either.

Its early in the week but its hard to feel good about putting him out there. Really curious what others are doing.
I'm knocked out unless Andrew's scores 27 tonight, but I wouldn't be hesitating with him in my flex spot. He got 6 targets after coming back in for the second half.

It doesn't help you for next week, but drops just aren't something I really worry about. When I see Metcalf get hit in the facemask on easy TD catches, it doesn't make me dislike Metcalf but rather I think there's even more upside when he ultimately cleans it up. As Cameron Giles noted, in the past when we see a teams WR1 have drop issues it's normally been cleaned up. I can't think of any cases where it wasn't overcome.

dark_knite03
Captain
Captain

Postby dark_knite03 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:19 pm

CGW wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:10 pm

I'm knocked out unless Andrew's scores 27 tonight, but I wouldn't be hesitating with him in my flex spot. He got 6 targets after coming back in for the second half.

It doesn't help you for next week, but drops just aren't something I really worry about. When I see Metcalf get hit in the facemask on easy TD catches, it doesn't make me dislike Metcalf but rather I think there's even more upside when he ultimately cleans it up. As Cameron Giles noted, in the past when we see a teams WR1 have drop issues it's normally been cleaned up. I can't think of any cases where it wasn't overcome.
Braylon Edwards come to mind. He did have one season where he killed it with 16tds. But it seems to me the following year the drops came back and he faded away.
Est '17 12 Team 1PPR 4-Pass 6-Rush/Recieve TD
Start QB RB RB WR WR TE FX FX SF K DL LB DB
Champion 2021.
Geno, Tlaw, M Jones, D.Carr, White
JT, A Jones, Dobbins,Monty,D.Harris, Reyonds
Dillon,Kelley, Warren, Miller, Hill, Penny, Rivers
Diggs, AJB, Jefferson, Chase, Claypool, Juedy, Deebo,WanDale, Mingo, Boutte
Kittle, Andrews,Njoku
Moody

Superflex Est 19' - - Tiered PPR
QB RB RB WR WR WR/RB TE FX SF K D
Dak, Wilson, Watson
Henry, Chubb, ETN, Swift, Gus, Strong, Ford, Spiller, Chandler, Spears
Godwin, DJM , JJ,Kenaan, AJB, Lockett, Austin, Palmer, Boutte
Andrews, Goedert, Juwan, Woods

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:29 pm

Braylon Edwards didnt like football.

Extremely talented, but had serious work ethic issues

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:35 pm

dark_knite03 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:19 pm

Braylon Edwards come to mind. He did have one season where he killed it with 16tds. But it seems to me the following year the drops came back and he faded away.
Good example, hadn't thought of him. Even there, Edwards was a career 48% catch rate vs Diontae at 64%.

tresskid84
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby tresskid84 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:07 pm

1.71 yards per route run (38th among 68 wrs with over 50 targets) and the 4th highest drop rate of this sample. And that 1.71 is while already being heavily targeted, so a lot of opportunities to gain yards, even if hes targeted on a lot of shorter routes (but hes "elite" after the catch, so that shouldnt be an issue).

I just don't know how I can watch every Steeler game (living in PA) and see a completely different level of wr than others on here, but thats the fun of this whole game/process! Very good, better than any Eagles wr by a mile at the moment, lol, but I'm still selling on the crazy hype surrounding him.
2021-Orphan Rebuild, 12tm PPR, SF, 1.75 TE Prem
2 SF, 8 Flex

QB: Mayfield, Z Wilson, D Jones, Heinicke, Rudolph, Foles
RB: Herbert, Felton, Evans, Nwangwu, Calais
WR: D Smith, Waddle, Chark, J Palmer, D P-J, Raymond, Washington, Jauan, Darden, Fehoko, Smith-Marsette, C Johnson, Proche, Shi Smith, A Tate, ESB, JJAW
TE: O'Shaughnessy, Moreau, Granson, Tyree J, Hu Bryant, Hopkins, Fortson
2022 Picks: 1.01, 1.04, 1.11, 2.01, 2.09, and 3.02
2023 Picks: six 1sts, my 2nd

2021-Orphan Rebuild, 16tm PPR, SF, 1.5pr TE, DEVY:
1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 SF, 3 Flex
Draft is rookies and devy (only 2022 NFL eligible)

QB: Tua, Fields, Brissett, Foles, Purdy(D), T Morgan(D)
RB: Etienne, Gainwell, Homer, T Jones, J Hill, Ragas, Sargent, Calais, Funk,
WR: Cephus, Nico, J Palmer, Gage, Quez, P Williams, JJAW, Strachan, Proche, Lil'Jordan, Shi Smith, Fryfogle(D)
TE: Moreau, Maxx, H Long, RSJ, Tyree J
2022 Picks: 1.02, 2.02, 2.12, 3.02, 3.07, 3.10, 3.11, 3.12, 3.15, 4.01, 4.02, 4.05, 4.07, 4.12, 4.15

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:55 pm

tresskid84 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:07 pm 1.71 yards per route run (38th among 68 wrs with over 50 targets) and the 4th highest drop rate of this sample. And that 1.71 is while already being heavily targeted, so a lot of opportunities to gain yards, even if hes targeted on a lot of shorter routes (but hes "elite" after the catch, so that shouldnt be an issue).

I just don't know how I can watch every Steeler game (living in PA) and see a completely different level of wr than others on here, but thats the fun of this whole game/process! Very good, better than any Eagles wr by a mile at the moment, lol, but I'm still selling on the crazy hype surrounding him.
I don't disagree selling him for the right price, but still haven't seen any correlation to this yprr stat you keep mentioning as the reason he isn't good. All three of the steelers wide receivers have very low yprr due to the scheme. On average Ben is releasing the ball under 2 seconds. With under 2 seconds even the fastest players in the NFL can't get 20 yards downfield in a straight line untouched, let alone bumped at the LOS.

The drops I could see more frustration with than a random efficiency stat. He's now dropped 10 balls, but history tells us its typically a correctable problem so I'm not selling low due to this.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:05 pm

So, we are both Indy fans and I have a playoff matchup where Andrews needs a big game to beat me. Had a moment of oh crap do I know CGW and am playing him this week? Nope, my opponent needs 31 out of him..........
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:08 pm

murphysxm wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:05 pm

So, we are both Indy fans and I have a playoff matchup where Andrews needs a big game to beat me. Had a moment of oh crap do I know CGW and am playing him this week? Nope, my opponent needs 31 out of him..........
Well no offense, but I'm rooting against you tonight.
12 Team | SF | PPR | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Burrow
RB |
WR | Puka, Olave, Smith, Flowers, Dotson, Addison
TE | Pitts, Otton, Bellinger, Likely, Okonkwo
2024 | 1.01, 1.02, 4.01, 5.01
| 1stx3, 3rdx3

10 Team | SF | PPR | 2023 Champ
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Allen, Stroud, Young
RB | K Williams, White, Monty, Herbert, Chandler
WR | Lamb, AJB, Puka, Waddle, Mooney, J. Williams, Watson, Davis
TE | Andrews, Bellinger, Dulcich
2024 | 1.04, 3.10

12 Team | SF | PPR | 1.5TEP | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, FL, SF

QB | Herbert Lance
RB | ETN, Pacheco, K Williams, Singletary, Henry, A Jones, Warren
WR | ARSB, Wilson, Olave, DK, Puka, Flowers, Downs,
TE | Hockenson, Likely, Otton

tresskid84
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby tresskid84 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:10 pm

CGW wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:55 pm
tresskid84 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:07 pm 1.71 yards per route run (38th among 68 wrs with over 50 targets) and the 4th highest drop rate of this sample. And that 1.71 is while already being heavily targeted, so a lot of opportunities to gain yards, even if hes targeted on a lot of shorter routes (but hes "elite" after the catch, so that shouldnt be an issue).

I don't disagree selling him for the right price, but still haven't seen any correlation to this yprr stat you keep mentioning as the reason he isn't good. All three of the steelers wide receivers have very low yprr due to the scheme. On average Ben is releasing the ball under 2 seconds. With under 2 seconds even the fastest players in the NFL can't get 20 yards downfield in a straight line untouched, let alone bumped at the LOS.

The drops I could see more frustration with than a random efficiency stat. He's now dropped 10 balls, but history tells us its typically a correctable problem so I'm not selling low due to this.
Never said he wasn't good. In fact, I've repeatedly said he is very good. I just keep seeing "elite" thrown around, and that I can't get on board with.

As for the drops, this isn't a one year thing for him, this is pattern dating back to college.
2021-Orphan Rebuild, 12tm PPR, SF, 1.75 TE Prem
2 SF, 8 Flex

QB: Mayfield, Z Wilson, D Jones, Heinicke, Rudolph, Foles
RB: Herbert, Felton, Evans, Nwangwu, Calais
WR: D Smith, Waddle, Chark, J Palmer, D P-J, Raymond, Washington, Jauan, Darden, Fehoko, Smith-Marsette, C Johnson, Proche, Shi Smith, A Tate, ESB, JJAW
TE: O'Shaughnessy, Moreau, Granson, Tyree J, Hu Bryant, Hopkins, Fortson
2022 Picks: 1.01, 1.04, 1.11, 2.01, 2.09, and 3.02
2023 Picks: six 1sts, my 2nd

2021-Orphan Rebuild, 16tm PPR, SF, 1.5pr TE, DEVY:
1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 SF, 3 Flex
Draft is rookies and devy (only 2022 NFL eligible)

QB: Tua, Fields, Brissett, Foles, Purdy(D), T Morgan(D)
RB: Etienne, Gainwell, Homer, T Jones, J Hill, Ragas, Sargent, Calais, Funk,
WR: Cephus, Nico, J Palmer, Gage, Quez, P Williams, JJAW, Strachan, Proche, Lil'Jordan, Shi Smith, Fryfogle(D)
TE: Moreau, Maxx, H Long, RSJ, Tyree J
2022 Picks: 1.02, 2.02, 2.12, 3.02, 3.07, 3.10, 3.11, 3.12, 3.15, 4.01, 4.02, 4.05, 4.07, 4.12, 4.15

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:13 pm

CGW wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:08 pm
murphysxm wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:05 pm

Well no offense, but I'm rooting against you tonight.
as you should......
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:20 pm

Troy Williamson said it best when he said the reason he (and other players) didn't capitalize on physical gifts to play the game was simply mental. Drops from Diontae are probably just mental as well, and that can be fixed. He has the talent to get open with consistency, and that's a harder thing to "get."

skinfanjon
Role Player
Role Player

Postby skinfanjon » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:23 pm

You sure about those targets? Hes credited with 7 for the game and I know for certain he dropped two and also caught one in the first quarter. It is encouraging that he was back on the field after halftime.

I'm not necessarily downgrading him because he leaves some plays on the field, but we are now talking about a guy who has left three games due to injury and got benched for a half because of drops in another. I like the player and believe in him long term, but were talking about a single game. What if he drops one or two in the first quarter again? He's riding pine.

This will be my toughest decision this week across 6 leagues by far.

failblazer
All Pro
All Pro

Postby failblazer » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:20 am

skinfanjon wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:23 pm

You sure about those targets? Hes credited with 7 for the game and I know for certain he dropped two and also caught one in the first quarter. It is encouraging that he was back on the field after halftime.

I'm not necessarily downgrading him because he leaves some plays on the field, but we are now talking about a guy who has left three games due to injury and got benched for a half because of drops in another. I like the player and believe in him long term, but were talking about a single game. What if he drops one or two in the first quarter again? He's riding pine.

This will be my toughest decision this week across 6 leagues by far.
I put him in this past week as he had consistently high targets the five weeks prior. Luckily I was out of sight before the Sunday night game. Going into next week though, I will find it very hard to trust him. I think I would rather play safe with Amari Cooper than lose because Diontae dropped the first pass of the game and sat on the bench for the majority of the game.
16 Team PPR (11th Year Dynasty - Former 2 Time Champion)
P. Mahomes, Z. Wilson
C. McCaffrey, N. Harris, C. Hubbard
D. Hopkins, A. Cooper, C. Kupp, D. Johnson, G. Davis, D. Mims, J. Palmer
D. Waller, C. Kmet, B. Jordan

C. Young, R. Quinn
D. Leonard, M. Milano, C. Mosely, B. Okereke, J. Davis
J. Simmons, J. Fuller

Picks - 1.01, 2.12, 3.01, 3.15, 4.14

16 Team PPR (10th Year Dynasty - Reigning 5 Time Champion)
A. Rodgers, J. Fields
C. McCaffrey, D. Henry, J. Dobbins, M. Davis
D. Hopkins, D. Adams, C. Kupp, M. Jones, M. Valdes-Scantling, A. Green, T. Johnson, Dy. Brown, G. Pickens, J. Tolbert,
N. Fant, A. Okwugbunam, J. Harris
J. Elliott

D. Lawrence, R. Quinn, T. Hendrickson
R. Smith, B. Okereke, L. Wilson, J. Davis, D. Tranquil, B. Asamoah
J. Simmons, W. Harris

Dibbles
MVP
MVP

Postby Dibbles » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:17 pm

Whelp, was regular season high point scorer in both my big leagues and am about to be out of both with some horrific bad playoff luck, need Diontae to go for 33 to keep me in one of them, here’s to hoping he’s REALLY, REALLY, REALLY good.