Diontae Johnson is...... maybe really really good?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Diontae Johnson is...... maybe really really good?

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:45 pm

Sriracha wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:33 pm Yea, idk. I think people are just hesitant to compare him to an All time great even when all the ingredients are there. Both he and AB can hit you deep by running by you without deep speed (there’s a play from earlier in the season where Diontae gets wide open literally running a go route and nimbly side stepping the defender).

Granted, his usage has been very close to the LoS at this point, but he has shown the ability to beat you deep dating back to his rookie year
What AB did is just on another level. He's not going to be that good, it's not surprising people are hesitant. Diontae is a nice little player, but he's never going to touch what AB did, and that's fine. I really don't think all the ingredients are there to be on an AB level. AB's footwork and physicality, for his size, were fantastic. His ball skills, too. Not trying to take away anything from DJ, just don't want to compare him to the greatness that was AB.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:49 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:45 pm
Sriracha wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:33 pm Yea, idk. I think people are just hesitant to compare him to an All time great even when all the ingredients are there. Both he and AB can hit you deep by running by you without deep speed (there’s a play from earlier in the season where Diontae gets wide open literally running a go route and nimbly side stepping the defender).

Granted, his usage has been very close to the LoS at this point, but he has shown the ability to beat you deep dating back to his rookie year
What AB did is just on another level. He's not going to be that good, it's not surprising people are hesitant. Diontae is a nice little player, but he's never going to touch what AB did, and that's fine. I really don't think all the ingredients are there to be on an AB level.
I agree. He's got some good traits, but AB was generational. He still has all the tools to be a solid t15 WR if he stays healthy though. Assuming he has someone to throw him the ball.
12 Team | SF | PPR | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Burrow
RB |
WR | Puka, Olave, Smith, Flowers, Dotson, Addison
TE | Pitts, Otton, Bellinger, Likely, Okonkwo
2024 | 1.01, 1.02, 4.01, 5.01
| 1stx3, 3rdx3

10 Team | SF | PPR | 2023 Champ

QB | Allen, Stroud, Young
RB | K Williams, White, Monty, Herbert, Chandler
WR | Lamb, AJB, Puka, Waddle, Mooney, J. Williams, Watson, Davis
TE | Andrews, Bellinger, Dulcich
2024 | 1.04, 3.10

12 Team | SF | PPR | 1.5TEP | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, FL, SF

QB | Herbert Lance
RB | ETN, Pacheco, K Williams, Singletary, Henry, A Jones, Warren
WR | ARSB, Wilson, Olave, DK, Puka, Flowers, Downs,
TE | Hockenson, Likely, Otton

captain howdy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby captain howdy » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:53 pm

And ABs work ethic and durability were hall of fame caliber.

Its not always mere talent that separates professionals from the elites

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:42 pm

What AB did is just on another level. He's not going to be that good, it's not surprising people are hesitant. Diontae is a nice little player, but he's never going to touch what AB did, and that's fine. I really don't think all the ingredients are there to be on an AB level. AB's footwork and physicality, for his size, were fantastic. His ball skills, too. Not trying to take away anything from DJ, just don't want to compare him to the greatness that was AB.
Sure, but AB wasnt an all-pro his whole career. He developed into that guy.

I see the same kind of feet from Diontae that made AB special, and he plays very physical for his size. The ingredients are all there, just needs some polishing.

I’m not saying he is AB now or that he’ll ever get there given ABs legendary work ethic; but I see the same special traits in him

jjleurquin
Captain
Captain

Postby jjleurquin » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:55 pm

captain howdy wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:53 pm And ABs work ethic and durability were hall of fame caliber.

Word out of Pittsburgh is that Claypool has that same work ethic.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:18 am

jjleurquin wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:55 pm
captain howdy wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:53 pm And ABs work ethic and durability were hall of fame caliber.

Especially from those who roster claypool in fantasy! :lol:

I usually dont pay too much attention to work ethic comments unless it's a negative. Same for preseason coach speak. 99% is fluff, but if you see someone say a player is a bad student, lazy, etc take heed.

Pittsburg is excellent at drafting and developing WR. Both claypool and Diontae will be put in a situation to be very good WR in the NFL and fantasy as long as Ben can get them the ball.

QB | Burrow
RB |
| 1stx3, 3rdx3

2024 | 1.04, 3.10

QB | Herbert Lance

Dibbles
MVP
MVP

Postby Dibbles » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:01 am

A clear difference I see between AB and Diontae is durability, AB used to get blown up frequently and would somehow always pop back up like nothing happened. Diontae seems to get dinged up in every game he plays. What I don’t know is if this was also a trend in college? This is absolutely my biggest concern with him, love the talent but not sure he will be a consistently reliable starter at his current injury pace.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:59 am

Prior to this year, he had not missed a game. He did have a sports hernia that he played through during 2019 though.

So far this year he's had mostly minors issues, with a concussion in week 3 (his first I know of) followed by the back bruise in week 5, and now the ankle bruise at the end of week 7.

It's been annoying because 2 of the injuries happened early in a game on punts so I got 0 fantasy points, but I'm not going to label him injury prone quite yet.

QB | Burrow
RB |
| 1stx3, 3rdx3

2024 | 1.04, 3.10

QB | Herbert Lance

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:03 am

CGW wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:59 am Prior to this year, he had not missed a game. He did have a sports hernia that he played through during 2019 though.

So far this year he's had mostly minors issues, with a concussion in week 3 (his first I know of) followed by the back bruise in week 5, and now the ankle bruise at the end of week 7.

It's been annoying because 2 of the injuries happened early in a game on punts so I got 0 fantasy points, but I'm not going to label him injury prone quite yet.
He had a NASTY concussion on a hit last year. I think the player got ejected?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RZx8zNlkK8

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:20 am

Lumps wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:03 am
CGW wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:59 am Prior to this year, he had not missed a game. He did have a sports hernia that he played through during 2019 though.

Oh yeah, nasty hit. Forgot that one, likely because he didn't miss any time.

Still, he's relatively durable up until lately.

QB | Burrow
RB |
| 1stx3, 3rdx3

2024 | 1.04, 3.10

QB | Herbert Lance

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:01 am

CGW wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:20 am
Lumps wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:03 am

Oh yeah, nasty hit. Forgot that one, likely because he didn't miss any time.

Still, he's relatively durable up until lately.
Right. I wouldn't look too far into the injuries just yet. I don't think Ben would have thrown that ball above. That was just set up to get laid out. He didn't even have separation but somehow would have caught the ball without the hit.

If he winds up with another concussion though, I might take the next opportunity to sell high. Avoid a Brandin Cooks type situation.

DynastyDrum30
Role Player
Role Player

Postby DynastyDrum30 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:56 am

Sriracha wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:42 pm

Sure, but AB wasnt an all-pro his whole career. He developed into that guy.

I see the same kind of feet from Diontae that made AB special, and he plays very physical for his size. The ingredients are all there, just needs some polishing.

I’m not saying he is AB now or that he’ll ever get there given ABs legendary work ethic; but I see the same special traits in him
It’s worth noting that AB didn’t start putting up WR1 numbers until year 4. DJ is currently performing better than AB in nearly every statistical category at this point in his career, except yards/gm (averaging 6.8 less/game).

Since DJ has only been healthy for 3 games this year and it’s a small sample size, I used his last 8 healthy games and ran stats on them and compared to AB:

AB (year 2):
16 games, 69 rec (4.3 rec/gm) 1,108 yds (69.3 yds/gm), 2 TDs, 124 targets (7.8 tgts/gm), 13.1 PPG

DJ (last 8 healthy games):

8 games, 500 yards (62.5 yds/gm), 47 rec (5.9 rec/gm), 5 TDS, 74 targets (9.3 tgts/gm), 14.5 PPG

AB Year 3:
13 games, 787 yds (60.5 yds/gm), 66 rec (5.1 rec/gm), 5 TDs, 106 targets (8.2 tar/gm), 11.3 PPG

AB year 4:
16 games, 1,499 yds (93.7 yds/gm), 110 rec (6.9 rec/gm), 8 tds, 166 targets (10.4 tgts/gm), 17.6 PPG

Scoring based on half point PPR

I agree - I don’t think anyone is saying “This dude will become AB”, but some, including me, are recognizing his talent and production, especially in the 2nd year of his career. He’s a player I’m excited about. Just hope he can stay healthy.
10 man league; .5 PPR; .5 TE Premium
QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/TE/Flex/K/Team D) - 28 Man Rosters

Roster Highlights:

QB: Burrow, Purdy, Love

RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, Z. Charbonnet, AJ Dillon, Penny, D. Foreman, T Allgier, Z. White, E. Hull

WR: Chase, Lamb, Olave, T. Higgins, Diontae, Chark

TE: LaPorta, Pitts, Goedert, Schoonmaker

Picks:
2024: 4.06
2025: None

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:42 pm

DynastyDrum30 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:56 am It’s worth noting that AB didn’t start putting up WR1 numbers until year 4. DJ is currently performing better than AB in nearly every statistical category at this point in his career, except yards/gm (averaging 6.8 less/game).

Since DJ has only been healthy for 3 games this year and it’s a small sample size, I used his last 8 healthy games and ran stats on them and compared to AB:

AB (year 2):
16 games, 69 rec (4.3 rec/gm) 1,108 yds (69.3 yds/gm), 2 TDs, 124 targets (7.8 tgts/gm), 13.1 PPG

DJ (last 8 healthy games):

8 games, 500 yards (62.5 yds/gm), 47 rec (5.9 rec/gm), 5 TDS, 74 targets (9.3 tgts/gm), 14.5 PPG

AB Year 3:
13 games, 787 yds (60.5 yds/gm), 66 rec (5.1 rec/gm), 5 TDs, 106 targets (8.2 tar/gm), 11.3 PPG

AB year 4:
16 games, 1,499 yds (93.7 yds/gm), 110 rec (6.9 rec/gm), 8 tds, 166 targets (10.4 tgts/gm), 17.6 PPG

Scoring based on half point PPR

I agree - I don’t think anyone is saying “This dude will become AB”, but some, including me, are recognizing his talent and production, especially in the 2nd year of his career. He’s a player I’m excited about. Just hope he can stay healthy.
100%

Since AB played in the NFL for so long it's easy to forget that he was a 6th round pick. If people really think Diontae doesn't have the tools to develop into him you should go back and check out AB's college film and his first few years in the NFL. The similarities are striking.

PR0v3
Captain
Captain

Postby PR0v3 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:06 pm

We won’t know that to be true for about 10 more years or so. I’d expect a college kid or rookie to be working hard. It’s a little different though when you’re an 8 year vet with a HoF resume, family, and millions in the bank.

AB work ethic wasn’t built in a day.
12 Team .5 PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB 20 man rosters, 5 man taxi est. 2018
QB: Dak, Pickett
RB: CMC, Taylor, Gibson, Dillon, Akers, Penny
WR: JJeff, Hollywood, Olave, Toney, Aiyuk, Jeudy, C. Davis, Boyd, C. Samuel,
TE: Njoku, Gesicki
2023 picks: 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x

jjleurquin
Captain
Captain

Postby jjleurquin » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:14 pm

CGW wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:18 am

Especially from those who roster claypool in fantasy! :lol:

I usually dont pay too much attention to work ethic comments unless it's a negative. Same for preseason coach speak. 99% is fluff, but if you see someone say a player is a bad student, lazy, etc take heed.

Pittsburg is excellent at drafting and developing WR. Both claypool and Diontae will be put in a situation to be very good WR in the NFL and fantasy as long as Ben can get them the ball.
I get that. I pay attention to the wording that's used. If they were to say he's a beast in the gym or the best in the weightroom I've ever seen I think that would be fluff. They were talking about him doing everything he can to learn though which to me is the most important aspect of success in the NFL. Sure some guys have more talent coming in (Baker Mayfield), but that's not going to hold off other QBs who aren't quite as talented who do everything they can to improve (Josh Allen).