Diontae Johnson is...... maybe really really good?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Kmani6
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Diontae Johnson is...... maybe really really good?

Postby Kmani6 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:24 am

He has looked good the past 3 weeks. Week 14 vs Arizona was insane.
Dynasty Team 1:

10 Man, Full PPR, .2 PPC, Double Flex

QB: Kyler Murray
RB: Saquon Barkley , Breece Hall, Swift, Dobbins, Gibson, CEH
WR: Devante Adams, Tyreek Hill, Jamarr Chase, DK Metcalf, Devonta Smith, Jerry Jeudy
TE: Travis Kelce

2023 Picks: 1.4, 1.8, 2.9, 3.2, 3.6, 3.8

Dynasty Team 2:

10 Man, Half PPR, Double Flex

QB: Tua
RB: Barkley , Mixon, Javonte, Jacobs, CEH
WR: AJB, Tyreek, Lamb, Aiyuk, Bateman
TE: Kittle

2022 Picks: 1.5, 1.6, 2.3
2023 Picks: 2 x 1st, 2 x 2nd

Kmani6
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kmani6 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:29 am

To give more context, this ranks 2nd amongst all WR’s.
Dynasty Team 1:

WR: Devante Adams, Tyreek Hill, Jamarr Chase, DK Metcalf, Devonta Smith, Jerry Jeudy

Dynasty Team 2:

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:57 pm

I have been trying to acquire him everywhere. Has the IT factor in my view to get yards after contact. I think he is the next great Pitt receiver and the most underrated rookie at the moment. If he improves his route running while maintaining his explosiveness, I see him as a top receiver in the league in years to come.
12 team, 35 man rosters, 1/2 PPR, 10 round rookie/FA draft
Qb: Geno Smith, Matthew Stafford, Trey Lance
Rb: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Austin Ekeler, Saquon Barkley, Cam Akers, Isiah Pacheco, Jeff Wilson, Chase Edmonds, Pierre Strong, Jordan Mason, Jaleel McLaughlin
Wr: DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Diontae Johnson, Darnell Mooney, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jakobi Meyers, Laviska Shenault, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Denzel Mims, Richie James, Michael Wilson, Demario Douglas, Trent Sherfield
Te: George Kittle, Darren Waller, Taysom Hill, Isaiah Likely
K:
D: Dallas D

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:06 pm

jman3134 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:57 pm I have been trying to acquire him everywhere. Has the IT factor in my view to get yards after contact. I think he is the next great Pitt receiver and the most underrated rookie at the moment. If he improves his route running while maintaining his explosiveness, I see him as a top receiver in the league in years to come.
Really crazy to say this, but its like PIT traded a 30 year old AB for a 23 year old AB.

Their strengths parallel each others so well, and have near identical college profiles coming into the league.

Kmani6
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kmani6 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:47 pm

Coach Drake really loved this guy. He was a major reason why they over-drafted him. Seemed like a random pick at first, but he kept saying he was going to be great. He has not disappointed thus far. It’s really difficult to break into the top level of WRs and produce wr1/2 numbers I hope Diontae can continue his development and do this.
Dynasty Team 1:

Dynasty Team 2:

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:49 pm

I would argue they didn't reach on him to be honest. It might sound like a hindsight thing but it's not.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:22 pm

Phaded wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:49 pm I would argue they didn't reach on him to be honest. It might sound like a hindsight thing but it's not.
Who knows if these draft stories are true, but Drake did say:
everyone raved about Diontae Johnson at his Pro day, and that Tampa Bay coach just called him and “cussed me out.” Said Johnson wouldn’t have lasted until their next pick.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:25 pm

Yeah I remember that.
Could you imagine teams having to deal with him as the WR3 behind Evans & Godwin?
Woof.

I'm pretty sure he was in the PFF Top 75 prospects list.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:30 pm

jman3134 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:57 pm I have been trying to acquire him everywhere. Has the IT factor in my view to get yards after contact. I think he is the next great Pitt receiver and the most underrated rookie at the moment. If he improves his route running while maintaining his explosiveness, I see him as a top receiver in the league in years to come.
I don't see him as being better than Juju. I also don't see him as a top WR. I think he can be a very good number 2 on the Steelers, but I don't see him being a Steelers "great".
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:28 am

I'd lay odds he'll out produce JuJu next 3 years if both remain healthy ..
@PlankMelody

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:01 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:30 pm
I don't see him as being better than Juju. I also don't see him as a top WR. I think he can be a very good number 2 on the Steelers, but I don't see him being a Steelers "great".
JuJu = 6 games under 7.5 points and 4 missed games. Obviously some QB issues but JuJu IMO was overrated as a WR1. D.Johnson already looks to be a much better route runner than JuJu IMO.

Too early to project greatness but the Steelers have to be very happy they have him on the team. He sure moves like a potential WR1 out of his breaks. Time will tell but he has a high ceiling.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:25 pm

Ice wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:01 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:30 pm
JuJu = 6 games under 7.5 points and 4 missed games. Obviously some QB issues but JuJu IMO was overrated as a WR1. D.Johnson already looks to be a much better route runner than JuJu IMO.

Too early to project greatness but the Steelers have to be very happy they have him on the team. He sure moves like a potential WR1 out of his breaks. Time will tell but he has a high ceiling.
Juju is a better football player, and I disagree that Johnson is a much better route runner. Johnson looks like a nice player, but he's only averaging 11.5 per catch. I just don't see him supplanting Juju, once Ben comes back.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:49 pm

Yup, people don’t realize that virtually the same draft capital was spent on Diontae as Juju, they were like two picks like 64th overall and 66th or something like that. The organization apparently likes them equally as far as draft capital goes. Time will tell who the more productive WR will be but I wouldn’t just assume it’s Juju.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:12 pm

I thought it was Boo Boo. Who is Juju?

mchriste619
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby mchriste619 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:33 pm

Yet to be determined, but wouldn't at all be shocked if Johnson is worth more after next season. Juju will see top CB regularly next season. Having Big Ben back, even with him losing a step, is huge next season. In redraft, I'm going after Dionte for his price, not JuJu.