How do y'all feel about lying or fabricating info in trade talks?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: How do y'all feel about lying or fabricating info in trade talks?

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:41 pm

I'll never understand an owner dissing a player he's actively trying to acquire from me. It just makes me uninterested in the negotiations.

Buyer: I'll give you a late first for Chris Godwin
Seller: No thanks. Godwin's been really good this season and he's young. I'd need more than that to trade him.
Buyer: No way. Godwin's not even the #1 WR on his own team. He's probably going to regress next season anyway.
Seller: :wtf:

Pew Dogs
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Pew Dogs » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:11 am

Fool me once shame on you ...
12 team, dynasty, ppr, 1RB, 3WR, 1TE, 3RB/WR/TEFlex
QB P.Mahomes, J.Goff
RB J.Taylor, A.Kamara, E.Elliott, T.Pollard
WR D.Chark, B.Cooks, A.Cooper, A.St.Brown, J.Tolbert, T.Marshall, D.Slayton
TE T.Kelce, H.Henry

(League champ somehow)
QB J.Burrow
RB T.Etienne, I,Pacheco, J.Cook, T.Algeier, J.Wilson
WR C.Lamb, M.Evans, M.Pittman, D.Chark, R.Moore, D.Peoples-Jones
TE T.Hockenson

12 Team Dynasty ppr, 2QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,3Flex,TE Premium

QB J.Burrow, G.Smith
RB D.Cook, J.Mixon, A.Mattison, R.Mostert, S.Perine
WR M.Evans, A.Cooper, C.Kirk, N.Collins
TE E.Engram, G.Everett, C.Okonkwo, C.Otton

QB K.Murray, J.Burrow
RB D.Cook, D.Montgomery, A.Mattison, K.Herbert, T.Algeier
WR A.St.Brown, K.Allen, A.Theilen, B.Cooks, T.Boyd, R.Moore, D.Hopkins
TE T.Kelce, D.Waller, R.Gronkowski, R.Tonyan, C.Otton

Mephistopheles
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mephistopheles » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:41 am

Pew Dogs wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:11 am Fool me once shame on you ...
These guys never fool me at all. I laugh at them and just stop dealing with the other owner when they pull this bleep, don't even respond to their subsequent offers or pitches. Then those owners whine and bitch and moan about the "lack of activity" or that I "only want to trade if he wins the trade" which just digs the hole deeper.

I really don't have this issue in the leagues where the leaguemates are friends IRL for the most part. None of us want to have to look each other in the eyes knowing we just offered a 3rd round rookie pick for Barkley or some such bleep. It's only in my online leagues, and I always look at anything anyone in those leagues says with a jaded and skeptical eye.

Was talking with a friend and fellow DFF player last night, he reminded me of another one. Was in a league commished by a DLF writer for a few years. Commish (DLF writer who shall remain nameless to protect the not so innocent) had no healthy QB's, I had 3 of them. OFfered him Big Ben for a nominal price (some backup TE or something). He rejected and responded that he never wants to own players convicted of DV or rape (keep in mind Ben was never indicted let alone convicted). Same owner had Tyreek and AP on his team. So I sent a nutty (pure trolling) offer for Tyreek with the comment "so if you never want to own players convicted of DV, you must be willing to get rid of Tyreek cheap." He responded "Tyreek's the exception. I don't think he really did it and even if he did, he's a different person now." I can't make this bleep up.

Point here is not to remind people to do your own research or not to fall for this bleep (I mean, that goes without saying), but rather as a reminder that it costs nothing to be a halfway decent bleep ing human being. That entails not insulting the intelligence of your trade partner.
PSA - Haggling is NOT the same as negotiating.

Mephistopheles
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mephistopheles » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:46 am

MrUbuto wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:50 pm Wow. You have some serious clowns in your league. Some of that stuff is gross.

But always do your own research.
It's my online leagues only, which is why I am cutting those down drastically and starting new leagues that only have people in them that I know and trust not to be complete assholes. Not necessarily that we agree on everything and values but more on not being a complete assclown in trade talks like most online players are these days.

I know and am friends with several people who are like minded and in numerous online leagues. They're also going to be cutting their online leagues (group of us are talking about forming 3 leagues as we speak).

All this is a large part of why I don't engage much in trade talks anymore in those leagues.

Mephistopheles
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mephistopheles » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:48 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:41 pm I'll never understand an owner dissing a player he's actively trying to acquire from me. It just makes me uninterested in the negotiations.

Buyer: I'll give you a late first for Chris Godwin
Seller: No thanks. Godwin's been really good this season and he's young. I'd need more than that to trade him.
Buyer: No way. Godwin's not even the #1 WR on his own team. He's probably going to regress next season anyway.
Seller: :wtf:
Yeah, that's an instant discussion ender right there.
So if he's going to regress why do you want him on your team? Should be happy he's on my team right?'

IR1
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby IR1 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:08 am

Have one guy who routinely offers "up a coming" guys for my elite player

Have had more of the opposite where offers are updated based on injury data. One guy wanted Rico Gathers a couple years ago after Witten was injured, made sure that info was in the trade offer
10Team PPR-QB/RB/WR/WR/TE/PK/flex-DT/DE/DE/LB/LB/LB/CB/CB/S/S/flex
QB- Herbert, Tua
RB- Barkley, Swift, Montgomery, Dobbins, Walker
WR-Adams, ARSB, JWilliams, Godwin, Metcalf, Allen, Kirk, Flowers
TE- Kelce, Goedert
PK
DT- Buckner, Simmons, QWilliams,
DE- Hunter, JBosa, Thibodeaux, JPHillips, Rousseau, Paye, Greenard
LB- Edmunds, Warner, E Kendricks, Wagner, De"Vondre Campbell, Asamoah, Sanders
CB- Moore, Howard, Reed
S- Dugger, Pitre, Thompson
IR Dobbins, Dulcich
Taxi- Kincaid, QJohnston

Pew Dogs
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Pew Dogs » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:36 am

Mephistopheles wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:41 am
Pew Dogs wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:11 am Fool me once shame on you ...
These guys never fool me at all. I laugh at them and just stop dealing with the other owner when they pull this bleep, don't even respond to their subsequent offers or pitches. Then those owners whine and bitch and moan about the "lack of activity" or that I "only want to trade if he wins the trade" which just digs the hole deeper.

I really don't have this issue in the leagues where the leaguemates are friends IRL for the most part. None of us want to have to look each other in the eyes knowing we just offered a 3rd round rookie pick for Barkley or some such bleep. It's only in my online leagues, and I always look at anything anyone in those leagues says with a jaded and skeptical eye.

Was talking with a friend and fellow DFF player last night, he reminded me of another one. Was in a league commished by a DLF writer for a few years. Commish (DLF writer who shall remain nameless to protect the not so innocent) had no healthy QB's, I had 3 of them. OFfered him Big Ben for a nominal price (some backup TE or something). He rejected and responded that he never wants to own players convicted of DV or rape (keep in mind Ben was never indicted let alone convicted). Same owner had Tyreek and AP on his team. So I sent a nutty (pure trolling) offer for Tyreek with the comment "so if you never want to own players convicted of DV, you must be willing to get rid of Tyreek cheap." He responded "Tyreek's the exception. I don't think he really did it and even if he did, he's a different person now." I can't make this bleep up.

Point here is not to remind people to do your own research or not to fall for this bleep (I mean, that goes without saying), but rather as a reminder that it costs nothing to be a halfway decent bleep ing human being. That entails not insulting the intelligence of your trade partner.
... the way I meant my comment was not so much that I am prone to getting fooled (I’m not) but that the other owner’s comments help you “get book” on them.
12 team, dynasty, ppr, 1RB, 3WR, 1TE, 3RB/WR/TEFlex
QB P.Mahomes, J.Goff
RB J.Taylor, A.Kamara, E.Elliott, T.Pollard
WR D.Chark, B.Cooks, A.Cooper, A.St.Brown, J.Tolbert, T.Marshall, D.Slayton
TE T.Kelce, H.Henry

(League champ somehow)
QB J.Burrow
RB T.Etienne, I,Pacheco, J.Cook, T.Algeier, J.Wilson
WR C.Lamb, M.Evans, M.Pittman, D.Chark, R.Moore, D.Peoples-Jones
TE T.Hockenson

12 Team Dynasty ppr, 2QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,3Flex,TE Premium

QB J.Burrow, G.Smith
RB D.Cook, J.Mixon, A.Mattison, R.Mostert, S.Perine
WR M.Evans, A.Cooper, C.Kirk, N.Collins
TE E.Engram, G.Everett, C.Okonkwo, C.Otton

QB K.Murray, J.Burrow
RB D.Cook, D.Montgomery, A.Mattison, K.Herbert, T.Algeier
WR A.St.Brown, K.Allen, A.Theilen, B.Cooks, T.Boyd, R.Moore, D.Hopkins
TE T.Kelce, D.Waller, R.Gronkowski, R.Tonyan, C.Otton

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:07 am

When I first read the title of the thread, I was expecting something a little different. I thought the scenario was going to be more along the lines of playing one trade partner against another to get more added to a deal. Or more so...using a fabricated offer against another owner to get them to add more to a legit offer.

That scenario would be a bit messed up, but could see that happening on occasion. Personally, I don’t subscribe to the “using one offer to leverage against another offer” technique...but I see it all the time when an owner puts a player on the block.

Either way, to blatantly lie about having inside information is a great way to burn bridges...and a repeat offender will have no one else to trade with before long.
Last edited by slaughterrt on Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Postby pvillebiker » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:14 am

Trust is earned and easily lost. Not talking about optimistic player valuation, etc. Gotta expect a lot of that in trade negotitations. But demonstrably false, intentional material fabrication is just wrong. If a leaguemate demonstrates a pattern of that, I'd discount them as a trade partner. Doesn't mean no trades ever with them. But I'd never trust anything they said in a trade context again. Should probalby already be verifying, understanding on your own side anyway.

Johnny B. Goode
Starter
Starter

Postby Johnny B. Goode » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:06 am

Anyone who thinks that lying g in trade talks might work in the age of the internet is a fool

Johnny B. Goode
Starter
Starter

Postby Johnny B. Goode » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:11 am

slaughterrt wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:07 am Image

When I first read the title of the thread, I was expecting something a little different. I thought the scenario was going to be more along the lines of playing one trade partner against another to get more added to a deal. Or more so...using a fabricated offer against another owner to get them to add more to a legit offer.

That scenario would be a bit messed up, but could see that happening on occasion. Personally, I don’t subscribe to the “using one offer to leverage against another offer” technique...but I see it all the time when an owner puts a player on the block.

Either way, to blatantly lie about having inside information is a great way to burn bridges...and a repeat offender will have no one else to trade with before long.
I did this in a long negotiation earlier this offseason, in what ended up being a 3 team trade. The guy didn't think Dak was worth what I was asking. I told him I had a better offer than what he was giving me. I dont think he believed me until I sent him a screen shot. It allowed us to get past negotiations for that player and negotiate with what I was getting for Dak. In this case, he thought I was full if it and wanted to continue to negotiate. He kept asking why havent I taken that trade if its offered. So I took a screen shot so that we could negotiate with different players as he was unwilling to match the value.

saw061600
Legend
Legend

Postby saw061600 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:33 am

Fabricating is bad. You can have different valuations, agendas, and trading philosophies but making stuff up is going to get you blackballed.

I actually had the opposite happen while trying to trade Bell the week he was injured but after it was reported the MRi was clear and it was reported he would likely play that week (which he did). The other owner, who was desperate for a RB (and is now out of contention) sent me article after article from earlier in the week to show Bell was hurt and I was trying to rip him off. For the first time in a long time I tried to show an argued trade was legit offer. I sent back the latest from RapSheet indicating the test was clear with "I'm not trying to hose you." Response: more days old Tweets and articles showing he was getting an MRI. Oh well...he got me 15 points this week so blah.
10 TM No PPR or waiver 85RST
Herbert Fields Garoppolo Ridder
JT Barkley Etienne Ingram Charb CEH
Evans Aiyuk Dionte Jeudy London JWill GWils EMoore JMyers Mims Moorex2
Andrews Kinkaid Pits Freiermuth
NBosa Quinnen DJJones Clark F-Myers Taylor Graham
Darius Okereke Kendricks DCampbell DJones Baker Kiser Brooks
Adams Simmons Vaccaro Joseph

12 TM .5ppr 45 RST
Herbert Stroud Mayfield
JT Achane Kamara Ford Pacheco Jaleel
AJB DK Godwin Aiyuk Kirk ZJones RMoore Thornton
Hock F-muth
LWilliams Payne Reed Greenard
Bernard Kendricks Warner Baker Williams Tranquil
Budda McKinney Clark Wilson

1-2QB 2-4RB 3-5WR 1-3TE 11OFF/DEF
Herbert Stafford Brock Dobbs
Taylor Jacobs Mattison Kyren Jaleel Ford Bigsby
AJB Diggs Evans Kirk McLaurin Dionte Boyd Renfrow JuJu
Kelce Pitts Deguara
Hutchinson Rousseau Greenard Travon Demarcus
QWilliams EJones TBernard Dean ShaqT Kyzir
Amos Bates Peppers Murray Fitz Clark

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:50 am

I never try to convince a trade partner to take a deal ... maybe it a weakness in my approach, but I always assume the trade partner knows as much as I do.

The only time I send note accompanying an offer is when I don’t know how the other person values an asset, but I know what my max value is ... so I’ll be upfront so as not to waste anyone’s time if we are far apart.

steelman
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby steelman » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:35 am

I don't like outright lying, but I'm all for exaggerating. I may talk up a player I don't really believe in, but I'm never going to make up a story about knowing some inside info that is complete BS.

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:07 am

steelman wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:35 am I don't like outright lying, but I'm all for exaggerating. I may talk up a player I don't really believe in, but I'm never going to make up a story about knowing some inside info that is complete BS.
That’s fair, but I don’t think you can accuse someone of lying if it’s their opinion. I think exaggeration would fall more into the opinion side of things that fact.