Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: colin kaepernick

Postby Sriracha » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:36 pm

Phaded wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:15 pm
Forza_Azzurri wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:55 pm
Pac_Eddy wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:53 pm

Which part makes him entitled?

He's given away millions - even after he didn't have a job. He backs up his talk with action. The opposite of entitlement.
How much did he make for his Nike deal again?
Exactly this - he made more than the "millions he gave away" through the Nike campaign he was part of.

The sense of entitlement comes from his belief that he is some great quarterback and owners are scared to sign him when the reality is that he is a mediocre quarterback that was propped up by a great team around him. He's not special and acts like he belongs in the league.
O_O

I dont follow the logic going on here.

Kaep absolutely belongs in this league— maybe not as a starter but certainly as a backup.

He was not guaranteed a Nike deal when he pledged his own money; he was given it after he gained a sizeable public following for speaking out on an issue a large population of people feel.

He doesnt seem anymore entitled than most NFL athletes that have seen success in the league

PR0v3
Captain
Captain

Postby PR0v3 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:37 pm

ericanadian wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:14 am
PR0v3 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:16 pm
Pac_Eddy wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:25 am I think PFT hits the nail on the head here if this information is true.

Kap.JPG
I mean, it's not like anyone can do anything about this "collusion" anyways, he has no right to play in the NFL. They could come out and fully admit they blackballed him if they wanted to, but that wouldn't bring him back into the league or entitle him to compensation. Bad PR sure, but Kaepernick would still be SOL.
I guess you don’t understand how the collective bargaining agreement works. They’ve already paid a settlement to Kaep and an admission would open them up to further compensation requirements.
I don’t think you understand how at-will employment works, and I don’t think you understand what a settlement is, which makes sense given the username. Kaepernick is not entitled to a job anywhere in the USA. However, it is easier to pay him to go away than deal with his baseless lawsuits, for a variety of reasons. An admission of blackballing him would not open them up to compensation requirements because Kaepernick does not have a right to play in the NFL and he hasn’t been discriminated against on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, etc.

Kaepernick has no case. If he did, he wouldn’t be taking settlements, he’d be fighting it out in court in an attempt to see real change, like how real civil rights activists do.
Last edited by PR0v3 on Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
12 Team .5 PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB 20 man rosters, 5 man taxi est. 2018
QB: Dak, Pickett
RB: CMC, Taylor, Gibson, Dillon, Akers, Penny
WR: JJeff, Hollywood, Olave, Toney, Aiyuk, Jeudy, C. Davis, Boyd, C. Samuel,
TE: Njoku, Gesicki
2023 picks: 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:49 pm

IZigUZag wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:36 pm

Exactly this - he made more than the "millions he gave away" through the Nike campaign he was part of.

The sense of entitlement comes from his belief that he is some great quarterback and owners are scared to sign him when the reality is that he is a mediocre quarterback that was propped up by a great team around him. He's not special and acts like he belongs in the league.
O_O

Kaep absolutely belongs in this league— maybe not as a starter but certainly as a backup.

He was not guaranteed a Nike deal when he pledged his own money; he was given it after he gained a sizeable public following for speaking out on an issue a large population of people feel.

He doesnt seem anymore entitled than most NFL athletes that have seen success in the league
Teams generally don't want their backup QB's to be people who may stir up controversy and bring negative attention to their team. Regardless of how you feel about Kaep, it's very easy to see why he has not been signed. He's a player that hold's little value, if any, to the W/L column on the team he'd be signed to, and teams would probably be very concerned about his motives. They would most likely think that he may have a personal agenda, rather than being part of a football team. Today's "re-scheduling" only emphasizes that concern. NFL team don't want political controversy from anybody, it's not good for their business, plain and simple. They wouldn't want it from their starting QB, let alone a back up.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:54 pm

O_O

By this logic, then AB is even more deserving to be in the league.

NFL is the least individual-centric sport ... at least of the major sports. I’m a huge Cowboy fan ... they are probably the most talented team in the league, but there is obviously ridiculously huge problems with the organization not related to on-field talent. My point is that the decision to add Kaepernick or AB to your team is not binary. It’s not is he a better talent than I currently have on my roster ... it’s far more complex than that.

Also, it’s assumed that all players agree with Kaep’s political stances ... I’d bet that is not the case and most players want to be able to focus only on what is needed to make them as individuals and their team be successful.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:07 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:49 pm

O_O

Teams generally don't want their backup QB's to be people who may stir up controversy and bring negative attention to their team. Regardless of how you feel about Kaep, it's very easy to see why he has not been signed. He's a player that hold's little value, if any, to the W/L column on the team he'd be signed to, and teams would probably be very concerned about his motives. They would most likely think that he may have a personal agenda, rather than being part of a football team. Today's "re-scheduling" only emphasizes that concern. NFL team don't want political controversy from anybody, it's not good for their business, plain and simple. They wouldn't want it from their starting QB, let alone a back up.
Appreciate the reply, and I'm reminded that I've actually made similar arguments for why Kaep isn't on an NFL team on other forums... it's been a while since Kaep has been news relevant :lol:

As for the rescheduling, some things to consider in what can only be described as a bizarre event:

1) Why did the NFL set this whole thing up when any interested team could've called him up and worked him out?
2) Why was this whole ordeal incredibly rushed?
3) Why was Kaepernick asked to sign a waiver that would exonerate the NFL of any and all responsibility for the violation of his rights that may have occurred since his grievance was settled (making it impossible for Kaepernick to sue for ongoing collusion)?

Kmani6
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kmani6 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:14 pm

4) Why was the workout scheduled on a Saturday, inconveniently the day before games? Kap's request to have the workout on a more typical Tuesday was shot down.
5) Why was he denied media coverage?
Dynasty Team 1:

10 Man, Full PPR, .2 PPC, Double Flex

QB: Kyler Murray
RB: Saquon Barkley , Breece Hall, Swift, Dobbins, Gibson, CEH
WR: Devante Adams, Tyreek Hill, Jamarr Chase, DK Metcalf, Devonta Smith, Jerry Jeudy
TE: Travis Kelce

2023 Picks: 1.4, 1.8, 2.9, 3.2, 3.6, 3.8

Dynasty Team 2:

10 Man, Half PPR, Double Flex

QB: Tua
RB: Barkley , Mixon, Javonte, Jacobs, CEH
WR: AJB, Tyreek, Lamb, Aiyuk, Bateman
TE: Kittle

2022 Picks: 1.5, 1.6, 2.3
2023 Picks: 2 x 1st, 2 x 2nd

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:50 pm

IZigUZag wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:07 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:49 pm

O_O

Appreciate the reply, and I'm reminded that I've actually made similar arguments for why Kaep isn't on an NFL team on other forums... it's been a while since Kaep has been news relevant :lol:

As for the rescheduling, some things to consider in what can only be described as a bizarre event:

1) Why did the NFL set this whole thing up when any interested team could've called him up and worked him out?
2) Why was this whole ordeal incredibly rushed?
3) Why was Kaepernick asked to sign a waiver that would exonerate the NFL of any and all responsibility for the violation of his rights that may have occurred since his grievance was settled (making it impossible for Kaepernick to sue for ongoing collusion)?
These are all fair points. I personally think Kaep is done, right or wrong. I personally never though he was that good. RW was the only guy to elevate after that magical year of the heavy introduction of "read option", because he was the only QB out of the 3 that could actually stand in the pocket and go through progressions, made a read, and deliver the football accurately. Kaep was not able to adapt, to the changes Defenses made and he was exposed for being completely system dependent. He would be completely shut down now. His best days are long gone, he hans't been playing for 3 years, so I doubt he's able to read D's any better, and his athleticism is probably not what it was, either. There is literally no reason I can think of for a team to sign him, in a football/business model.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:28 am

The NFLs actions are curious and perplexing. Why did they do what they did and why do it in such a confrontational unaccommodating way?

No one has given any clear insight, including members of the sports media.

Johnny B. Goode
Starter
Starter

Postby Johnny B. Goode » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:17 am

Who the fook is this guy

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:51 am

If he really just wanted to play/get signed, his post-workout statement should have been along the lines of, " I just want to get back to the game I love, even in a backup role to earn playing time. I dont expect to reset the market for QB salaries." As usual, his tone and attitude probably scared away most teams, as it's a precursor to every media session before and after practices/games. He is just shooting himself in the foot now, whether fair or not.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:42 am

My main comment is to address the length of time since Kaepernick has played.

I think that the length of absence has nothing to do with a players ability to play in the NFL so long as they have kept themselves in good physical shape. Obviously players would still need to get into football shape but we have seen evidence before of players who came back after absences and played. So whether it is 1 year, 3 years or 5 years, so long as that player is cleared by an NFL Training staff to play is all that matters to me.

In any case here is a short list of backup QBs who have not seen meaningful game action in years

Chad Henne (34) - last start 2014
Ryan Griffin (30) - last start 2012 college
David Foles (29) - last start 2013 college (one relief appearance 2017)
Sean Mannion (27) - 1 start since 2014 (in 2017)
AJ McCarron (29) - 3 starts in 2015

The point is NOT to compare them from a talent perspective - it is simply to note that there are QBs already in the NFL with little to no game experience, so it is unlikely Kaepernick could not do what they are doing. I repeat this post is merely to illustrate that the length of absence would be unlikely to hinder Kaepernicks ability to play in the NFL.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:29 am

Could care less if he can play or not. He is a FA that can sign with any team that feels the need to take a risk.

My take is he is a cancer that is doing everything possible to stay in the news. Frankly, he is isn't good enough to be worth the distraction IMO. Fans like him and respect him overall about as much as he likes and respects the USA.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Johnny B. Goode
Starter
Starter

Postby Johnny B. Goode » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:09 am

Ice wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:29 am Could care less if he can play or not. He is a FA that can sign with any team that feels the need to take a risk.

My take is he is a cancer that is doing everything possible to stay in the news. Frankly, he is isn't good enough to be worth the distraction IMO. Fans like him and respect him overall about as much as he likes and respects the USA.
Couldn't

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:22 am

Johnny B. Goode wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:09 am
Ice wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:29 am Could care less if he can play or not. He is a FA that can sign with any team that feels the need to take a risk.

Couldn't
Technically speaking they are synonymous terms but thanks for playing.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts