David Johnson - Code Red Panic? - Traded to Houston

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
PR0v3
Captain
Captain

Re: Code Red Panic- David Johnson

Postby PR0v3 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:52 am

trader_nation wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:38 am He got dropped after that game. You guys wanted to know why he no longer stats, I showed you. If you believe he doesn't start because cliff likes having chats with him on the sideline you are welcome to believe that.
Yea I don't get the DJ truthers at this point. He's 28 years old and has been playing football for the last 10+ years. He's just not that dude anymore. It's a violent game, and you have to be at the absolute peak of human physical performance to be a highly relevant fantasy RB. If you aren't, someone else will take your spot. He isn't doing anything that any other guy can't do at this point in his career, so he rides the bench. He slipped, and now he's just a name. It's football, that's how it works.
12 Team .5 PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB 20 man rosters, 5 man taxi est. 2018
QB: Dak, Pickett
RB: CMC, Taylor, Gibson, Dillon, Akers, Penny
WR: JJeff, Hollywood, Olave, Toney, Aiyuk, Jeudy, C. Davis, Boyd, C. Samuel,
TE: Njoku, Gesicki
2023 picks: 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:05 pm

trader_nation wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:38 am He got dropped after that game. You guys wanted to know why he no longer stats, I showed you. NFL Rbs aren't allowed to jog. If you believe he doesn't start because cliff likes having chats with him on the sideline, or because they start their rbs based on star signs you are welcome to believe that. After that Bucs games even DJ had to address his poor performance in the media, don't ask me watch the game. When a former pro bowler gets benched try watching their last game rather than jumping up and down saying 'where is the evidence! Where is the evidence!'
They kind of have to jog some times to let the blocks setup though.. patience + vision is very important in finding the lanes, if DJ sprints all play everyplay he will miss the running lanes that open up as the play goes on as he sprints to the sideline (and runs out of room to cut up field) on an outside run, or he will get right up into the line of scrimmage on an inside run and get stuffed
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:33 pm

nathanq42 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:05 pm
trader_nation wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:38 am He got dropped after that game. You guys wanted to know why he no longer stats, I showed you. NFL Rbs aren't allowed to jog. If you believe he doesn't start because cliff likes having chats with him on the sideline, or because they start their rbs based on star signs you are welcome to believe that. After that Bucs games even DJ had to address his poor performance in the media, don't ask me watch the game. When a former pro bowler gets benched try watching their last game rather than jumping up and down saying 'where is the evidence! Where is the evidence!'
They kind of have to jog some times to let the blocks setup though.. patience + vision is very important in finding the lanes, if DJ sprints all play everyplay he will miss the running lanes that open up as the play goes on as he sprints to the sideline (and runs out of room to cut up field) on an outside run, or he will get right up into the line of scrimmage on an inside run and get stuffed
David Johnson playing through back injuries and a high ankle sprain might have something to do with it. You know who else is playing badly because they had a high ankle sprain earlier this year? Saquon Barkley, Alvin Kamara, Tevin Coleman.

Right now, he's clearly not their best running back... We'll see how he looks after an off-season of recovery

alewilliam789
All Pro
All Pro

Postby alewilliam789 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:22 pm

PR0v3 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:52 am
trader_nation wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:38 am He got dropped after that game. You guys wanted to know why he no longer stats, I showed you. If you believe he doesn't start because cliff likes having chats with him on the sideline you are welcome to believe that.
Yea I don't get the DJ truthers at this point. He's 28 years old and has been playing football for the last 10+ years. He's just not that dude anymore. It's a violent game, and you have to be at the absolute peak of human physical performance to be a highly relevant fantasy RB. If you aren't, someone else will take your spot. He isn't doing anything that any other guy can't do at this point in his career, so he rides the bench. He slipped, and now he's just a name. It's football, that's how it works.
That’s weird. It’s like you are talking if he wasn’t a top 12 back in the beginning of the year over 5+ games
I may or may not be related to Bryan Edwards

Chwf3rd
Captain
Captain

Postby Chwf3rd » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:26 pm

alewilliam789 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:22 pm
That’s weird. It’s like you are talking if he wasn’t a top 12 back in the beginning of the year over 5+ games
You’re going to be left holding the bag
Team 1 - 12 team PPR
QB: MRyan, MJones, CNewton, RFitz
RB: SBarkley, DSwift, CAkers, JMixon, AJDillon, LMurray, DarWilliams, GBernard
WR: SDiggs, ACooper, BAiyuk, JJones, LShenault, BCooks, KToney, KHamler, VJefferson
TE: JSmith, ISmith, ZErtz

Team 2 - 16 team, PPR, SF
QB: JBurrow, CWentz, ZWilson, Jimmy G
RB: SBarkley, DSwift, CAkers, BSnell, TGurley, DGuice
WR: JChase, BAiyuk, CSutton, THiggins, JJeudy, JReagor, BEdwards
TE: ISmith, HarBryant, DSample, TTremble

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:31 pm

Was

PR0v3
Captain
Captain

Postby PR0v3 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:32 pm

He was playing 80% of snaps and receiving 20 touches a game through the first 5 games. There are probably 30+ RBs in the league who could be top-12 with that usage. You don't keep that role without the tape to match, however, and DJ doesn't have it.
12 Team .5 PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB 20 man rosters, 5 man taxi est. 2018
QB: Dak, Pickett
RB: CMC, Taylor, Gibson, Dillon, Akers, Penny
WR: JJeff, Hollywood, Olave, Toney, Aiyuk, Jeudy, C. Davis, Boyd, C. Samuel,
TE: Njoku, Gesicki
2023 picks: 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:37 pm

It's funny how the common narrative around this forum is that older RBs are not be trusted or valued highly, and yet at the same time this same narrative doesn't seem to apply to DJ.

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:48 pm

IZigUZag wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:33 pm David Johnson playing through back injuries and a high ankle sprain might have something to do with it. You know who else is playing badly because they had a high ankle sprain earlier this year? Saquon Barkley, Alvin Kamara, Tevin Coleman.

Right now, he's clearly not their best running back... We'll see how he looks after an off-season of recovery
Barkley & Kamara have earned the benefit of doubt based on past production ... it's been 3 years since Johnson has provide feature back production. And I don't see any chance that Coleman assumes a feature back role in SF.

alewilliam789
All Pro
All Pro

Postby alewilliam789 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:43 pm

Forza_Azzurri wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:48 pm
IZigUZag wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:33 pm David Johnson playing through back injuries and a high ankle sprain might have something to do with it. You know who else is playing badly because they had a high ankle sprain earlier this year? Saquon Barkley, Alvin Kamara, Tevin Coleman.

Barkley & Kamara have earned the benefit of doubt based on past production ... it's been 3 years since Johnson has provide feature back production. And I don't see any chance that Coleman assumes a feature back role in SF.
DJ was a top 15 RB last year on a absolutely horrid team. What are you talking about?

Edit: Let me correct myself. He was actually RB9 in 2018 in PPR. Year before he broke his hand. So whenever he’s been given the touches he’s been a top 12 RB in the league. This year was on pace again for top 10 RB numbers before injury and Kliff Kingbury.

alewilliam789
All Pro
All Pro

Postby alewilliam789 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:53 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:37 pm It's funny how the common narrative around this forum is that older RBs are not be trusted or valued highly, and yet at the same time this same narrative doesn't seem to apply to DJ.
Well one just because he’s been benched doesn’t mean he wasn’t produce or isn’t producing. He had a TD, 30 yards receiving, and like 12 yards rushing on only 4-5 total touches last week. I don’t know how that in any way shows a decline especially with his trends in scoring he’s put up thus far.

The biggest argument to make that DJ isn’t just falling off the face of the Earth is from his touch count. There’s a threshold between 1,800 to 2,000+ touches for RBs that have had multiple top 12 PPR seasons at a certain SPARQ score where they begin to decline. I think DJ is at like 1,200-1,400 and has had very little wear this year.
No knee injuries yet. The back injury is a little worrying and I’m sure the high ankle sprain has sapped him.
So right now your guy’s age of 28, 28, 28, 28 that has constantly being repeated to me as why there’s zero chance DJ is worth anything is irrelevant and ridiculous. Freaking Frank Gore is like 35 and nobody will sit here and say that Gore has looked better than DJ the last few years.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:09 pm

RB "touches" is a completely overrated and irrelevant stat with no real bearing on anything, DJ is not a younger player just because he's touched the ball fewer times due to being old coming into the league and missing a ton of time the last few years due to injury. He's a good player who will probably have solid stretches again that will bring all his diehard fanboys out to say "I told you so", but he'll go back to being a near non-entity again soon after and once again bitterly disappoint his owners.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:19 pm

alewilliam789 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:43 pm
Forza_Azzurri wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:48 pm

DJ was a top 15 RB last year on a absolutely horrid team. What are you talking about?

Edit: Let me correct myself. He was actually RB9 in 2018 in PPR. Year before he broke his hand. So whenever he’s been given the touches he’s been a top 12 RB in the league. This year was on pace again for top 10 RB numbers before injury and Kliff Kingbury.
Evidently, the coaching staff doesn't feel DJ is producing what they want with those touches at the moment. As someone who has DJ on a team, I'd love for him to get a starting gig again, but I also think he is a very, very average runner at this point. I think he is still a plus receiver, and think if anything, he should be utilized more in than vein.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

alewilliam789
All Pro
All Pro

Postby alewilliam789 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:33 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:09 pm RB "touches" is a completely overrated and irrelevant stat with no real bearing on anything, DJ is not a younger player just because he's touched the ball fewer times due to being old coming into the league and missing a ton of time the last few years due to injury. He's a good player who will probably have solid stretches again that will bring all his diehard fanboys out to say "I told you so", but he'll go back to being a near non-entity again soon after and once again bitterly disappoint his owners.
How is it completely overrated? I literally grabbed the top 12 RB producers over their career that had multiple top 12 seasons and mapped how many touches they had until their production completely dropped off. The low end was 1,800 touches. I’m not sure how you can say it’s completely overrated when touches have a clear trend in how much workload top RBs can carry before dropping off.

I mean it’s not like that after 27 they just automatically become shriveled up and forget how to run the football

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:36 pm

I'm actually not really worried about DJ at all. He has nothing to play for right now and is in a new system. I would actually be shocked if he WASN'T a top 10 back next year.

Qoute me
QB - DWatson(HOU)Minshew(JAX)Darnold(NYJ)
RB -NChubb(CLE)DHenry(TEN)JTaylor(IND)Gurley(ATL)
WR -DHopkins(ARI)ACooper(DAL)CGodwin(TB)OBJ(CLE)
TE - HHenry(SD)DGoeddart(PHI)
K - Zurlien(LAR)Crosby(GB)
Def - ARI DAL
[rookie] Haskins(WAS)DSwift(DET)Jefferson(MIN)MHardman(KC)
7th pick in 2021

Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players don't take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd-year players that were drafted