Jared Goff - Detroit went to Jared(s)

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Jared Goff

Postby slaughterrt » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:03 am

Saw a little bit of talk in another thread (prob the Stafford one) about the Lions eventually trying to flip Goff since he doesn’t really fit their rebuild. Since it’s pretty clear that the Rams had to throw in a little extra for the Lions to take Goff...I can’t imagine any other team is going to pay to take Goff (and his contract) right now.

Which leads to my question, would the Lions save any money by straight up cutting Goff? I’m not salary wizard, and my understanding of dead money is very basic. But if the Rams already took a cap hit from moving Goff, would the Lions also take a cap hit if they straight up cut him? Was just thinking out loud here. I mean the Lions already got compensation for taking Goff, who likely doesn’t fit their rebuild anyway. So what’s the cost of straight cutting Goff and would it be worth it versus rostering him?

And if I’m missing something glaringly obvious about the salary cap and dead money and whatnot...feel free to educate me.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:13 am

slaughterrt wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:03 am Saw a little bit of talk in another thread (prob the Stafford one) about the Lions eventually trying to flip Goff since he doesn’t really fit their rebuild. Since it’s pretty clear that the Rams had to throw in a little extra for the Lions to take Goff...I can’t imagine any other team is going to pay to take Goff (and his contract) right now.

Which leads to my question, would the Lions save any money by straight up cutting Goff? I’m not salary wizard, and my understanding of dead money is very basic. But if the Rams already took a cap hit from moving Goff, would the Lions also take a cap hit if they straight up cut him? Was just thinking out loud here. I mean the Lions already got compensation for taking Goff, who likely doesn’t fit their rebuild anyway. So what’s the cost of straight cutting Goff and would it be worth it versus rostering him?

And if I’m missing something glaringly obvious about the salary cap and dead money and whatnot...feel free to educate me.
I dont think they have an out until 2023.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:41 am

slaughterrt wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:03 am Saw a little bit of talk in another thread (prob the Stafford one) about the Lions eventually trying to flip Goff since he doesn’t really fit their rebuild. Since it’s pretty clear that the Rams had to throw in a little extra for the Lions to take Goff...I can’t imagine any other team is going to pay to take Goff (and his contract) right now.

Yep, been wondering the same- how does Goff help a rebuild? The way the contract is structured, the next out without a cap hit is in the 2022-2023 offseason. It'd be interesting if they could flip Goff for a pick,even if it's a 5th.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:11 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:41 am

Yep, been wondering the same- how does Goff help a rebuild? The way the contract is structured, the next out without a cap hit is in the 2022-2023 offseason. It'd be interesting if they could flip Goff for a pick,even if it's a 5th.
Yeah, I mean there are competitive teams that could use Goff as an upgrade - maybe Washington or others. If DET could get anything for Goff, then it would be a win.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:17 am

I don't think Goff's contract is THAT bad... I mean it's a 27M cap hit which I don't think Goff is worth. But at the same time, I don't think Matt Ryan is worth 40M, Wentz 34M, Jimmy G 26M, even Teddy and Carr are making 22M. There's several other that can be scrutinized. Is Cousins that much better than Goff? He's making 31M...

I'd take Goff over all the above with the exception of Ryan (and Cousins) but even at that price point and age, it's debatable.

Goff is a fairly high cap hit this year but the Lions aren't doing anything anyway. The cap will also be going down, but all teams will have to fight against that. Then hopefully in 22 the cap will go up and Goff's cap hit is less at 25M. The Lions have a year to see if they like him and then could cut him and save 10M in cap (15M dead) or trade him and not have any dead cap. There's definitely an out next year and maybe the Lions saw the 1sts as the best part of the deal. Maybe they saw Goff as a younger option for a rebuild to Stafford and wanted to get something for Stafford while they still could. I think it's obviously both. I'm not necessarily holding my breath for Goff to succeed in Detroit though but he's not dead or worth less than a 5th round pick

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:10 pm

Not too surprised. Stafford should really help the Rams who are close and going for a title. The Rams obviously do not value projected late 1st rounders like some teams.

Regardless of cap, the Rams obviously do not believe Goff was good enough to get them a title.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:51 pm

I think Goff can still fit a rebuild. It's not like he's old. He's 27 years old and QBs play for a long time in the NFL. And he's not awful or anything, he's just an average to slightly above average QB who may have been propped up by an elite offensive coordinator.

They could still draft a QB in the first round, but they should start Goff, let the rookie sit and learn, and see what happens. There's nothing to lose.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:08 pm

Yeah I think Goff is perfect for a rebuild. He's only as good as the team, so it's not like he's going to get you extra wins you don't want. But he is a serviceable guy that will keep the fan base interested and the players feeling like the team is trying to win. Then if he does ok they can probably flip him for a pick at some point.

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:35 am

There would be a cap hit of $43m if the Lions cut him right now. And they would have to pay Goff $43m right now.

It's actually not a bad contract now if the team wants him. $26m per year, pretty standard contract for an average qb. It was bad for the Rams because they were ready to move on from him.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:12 am

The Lions should trade Goff and Golladay to WFT for a 2nd Rd pick. Goff does no good in Detroit right now, and no need to waste Golladay's prime years on a 4 year rebuild that won't turn the team around in time for his talent to help them win.
Everybody wins!
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:26 am

Anteaters wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:12 am The Lions should trade Goff and Golladay to WFT for a 2nd Rd pick. Goff does no good in Detroit right now, and no need to waste Golladay's prime years on a 4 year rebuild that won't turn the team around in time for his talent to help them win.
Everybody wins!
Pretty sure Golladay is a FA. Don't see them moving Goff for that small of a return. Maybe next year if he plays well they trade.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:13 am

Ice wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:26 am
Anteaters wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:12 am The Lions should trade Goff and Golladay to WFT for a 2nd Rd pick. Goff does no good in Detroit right now, and no need to waste Golladay's prime years on a 4 year rebuild that won't turn the team around in time for his talent to help them win.
Everybody wins!
Pretty sure Golladay is a FA. Don't see them moving Goff for that small of a return. Maybe next year if he plays well they trade.
Goff's contract is an albatross. They may do that to save all that money if they're planning to draft a rookie anyway.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:10 am

Pac_Eddy wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:13 am
Everybody wins!
Goff's contract is an albatross. They may do that to save all that money if they're planning to draft a rookie anyway.
The contract is steep for 2 years. Then they can walk. In the interim he can play better, help a young rookie develop, perhaps renegotiate to make trading him more realistic.

Trading him for a 2nd doesn't seem logical at all. He may not be great but he is way better than anything the Lions have today.

The difference in Stafford's and Goff's contract is Detroit netted 2 firsts and a 3rd plus they have a starting QB to continue the rebuild. That contract based on the totality isn't much of an albatross at all.

Detroit by moving Stafford also saved a 10 million bonus in March. The timing made sense.

Wouldn't surprise me if both or at least the Rams are already working on a new contract for Stafford.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:52 am

Everybody wins!
Yeah, the FA part kind of ruins the idea of Detroit unloading Goff this way. If I'm Detroit though, they gotta do something. If they wait an entire season and Goff plays as poorly as I think he will (worse stability, unproven HC, worse offensive system, worse OL, worse receivers, etc) Detroit might end up having to send a 2nd round pick with Goff just to get rid of him in the next offseason - like Flacco and Cleveland.

Goff was benched by his coach in a playoff game so the coach could start a guy who is planning to be a financial analyst because he knows he's not good enough to be in the NFL. That's the guy that started ahead of Goff. That tells me all I need to know.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

mgscott
Starter
Starter

Postby mgscott » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:47 am

Wow, a lot of people really trashing on Goff like he's worthless. His contract isn't great, but all QBs are overpaid outside of their rookie contract. His cap hit is little different than Stafford's. Stafford is a better QB for sure, but not sure he is the savior in LA. If he doesn't at least get them to the SB in the next 3 yrs it is a failure.

Why are so many tanking Goff just because they think McVay hates him. Is McVay the end all be all? Maybe coaching was a major reason for the big drop-off after the SB, or even for the SB loss. Goff didn't start the first playoff game this year due to a broken thumb and surgery. He was able to play but was hampered by it. He ended up relieving the "starter" and won the game. I don't imagine he wouldn't have started if healthy. Instead of getting lauded for the toughness of playing through a broken thumb, he is getting lambasted for getting benched for a back-up with no NFL experience.

Tough crowd.