TE delusion

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Re: TE delusion

Postby jenkins.math » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:08 pm

MrUbuto wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:25 pm I'm not saying Kelce >>> MT

But it is interesting conversation that I think a lot of us older fantasy dinosaurs really should be having

MT is only outscoring him straight up by 2 points. (Yes 9ers have a game at hand)

Kupp and Evan's are also in the top 5 all I would easily trade them for kelce.

I think it's time to elevate the way we prioritize them, which is made difficult because as someone else posted above you can't just use draft capital to find them. You either need to get lucky on the wire or trade a guy like Michael thomas for one

Speaking of which 2 years ago I traded micheal thomas for HH and 2 2nds

I am easily losing that trade right now but if henry can stay healthy for 5 years I'm very happy with that
Not sure what or who you were comparing Michael Thomas to, but Austin Hooper is the top TE in my league and MT is beating him by almost 5 pts a game so far this season (.5 PPR).

Unless you are in a 2TE or TE premium league, the TE position should be viewed like the QB position on 1QB leagues. Having the top guy there is great but you are going to be just fine getting decent production from that position and focusing your assets elsewhere.

The PPG gap from number 1 at the position to number 16 at the position typically line up this way (from largest gap to smallest gap): RB, QB, WR, TE. It's great if you have one an awesome TE, but give me the elite RB or WR over the TE any day of the week.

Mike from Canada
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Mike from Canada » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:50 pm

In my PPR league the 1 to 16 gap is about 9 points for QB, WR, TE and 15 points for RB.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:15 am

bjd5211 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:39 pm
mild wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:17 pm There are a number of great trade calculators out there - including my personal favourite one on this here forum's parent site.

If anyone's ever getting too uppity on trade value, I usually just send them a screenshot to help reset expectation and explain that they are off base. Calculators may not be perfect, but at least your trade partner can't argue that they're biased.

You can't just "sign out" on trading in dynasty. There's no other way to get the veteran players you want otherwise. It's essential - and in that sense, dynasty is so much more about building your relationships with the other owners in your league.
If you want to use calculators for your own personal valuations knock yourself out, but sending screenshots to other owners as a reason why they should change their valuation is laughable.
Way to get it twisted. My exact words were "if anyone's ever getting too uppity..." - which was in response to this sort of impasse:

"HAd another guy a couple weeks ago approached me about swapping Prescott for Matt Ryan...wanted me to add an early 2020 1st. Said no thanks, you're buying so you should add a bit on your side...maybe a late 3rd? Guy threw a fit about that."

Laying out the values of that sort of a deal on a Calculator can at least let other owners who are perhaps doing their valuations "on the fly" know when they are (completely?) off-base - and from an independant 3rd party source at that. I've gotten plenty of deals across the line as a result of this sort of play - and I lead my league in trades by a wide margin. Often, the other person just wants to know they're not being ripped - if the numbers add up, it can help ease their mind.

But by all means, laugh away. Jeez.

Pew Dogs
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Pew Dogs » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:51 am

mild wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:15 am
bjd5211 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:39 pm
mild wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:17 pm There are a number of great trade calculators out there - including my personal favourite one on this here forum's parent site.

If anyone's ever getting too uppity on trade value, I usually just send them a screenshot to help reset expectation and explain that they are off base. Calculators may not be perfect, but at least your trade partner can't argue that they're biased.

You can't just "sign out" on trading in dynasty. There's no other way to get the veteran players you want otherwise. It's essential - and in that sense, dynasty is so much more about building your relationships with the other owners in your league.
If you want to use calculators for your own personal valuations knock yourself out, but sending screenshots to other owners as a reason why they should change their valuation is laughable.
Way to get it twisted. My exact words were "if anyone's ever getting too uppity..." - which was in response to this sort of impasse:

"HAd another guy a couple weeks ago approached me about swapping Prescott for Matt Ryan...wanted me to add an early 2020 1st. Said no thanks, you're buying so you should add a bit on your side...maybe a late 3rd? Guy threw a fit about that."

Laying out the values of that sort of a deal on a Calculator can at least let other owners who are perhaps doing their valuations "on the fly" know when they are (completely?) off-base - and from an independant 3rd party source at that. I've gotten plenty of deals across the line as a result of this sort of play - and I lead my league in trades by a wide margin. Often, the other person just wants to know they're not being ripped - if the numbers add up, it can help ease their mind.

But by all means, laugh away. Jeez.
I agree with this statement completely. It doesn’t seem to get much consideration in many trade offers or in discussion forums. But I make a big deal of it. If someone offers me a cold offer that is dead even, unless I like it because of personal preference I will ask for more. Some owners get it, some don’t. Moreover, if I’m making the offer it will often be slightly in the other guy’s favor for that same reason. I would them get criticized for overpaying if I posted the deal on this site, so I don’t bother too often.
12 team, dynasty, ppr, 1RB, 3WR, 1TE, 3RB/WR/TEFlex
QB P.Mahomes, J.Goff
RB J.Taylor, A.Kamara, E.Elliott, T.Pollard
WR D.Chark, B.Cooks, A.Cooper, A.St.Brown, J.Tolbert, T.Marshall, D.Slayton
TE T.Kelce, H.Henry

(League champ somehow)
QB J.Burrow
RB T.Etienne, I,Pacheco, J.Cook, T.Algeier, J.Wilson
WR C.Lamb, M.Evans, M.Pittman, D.Chark, R.Moore, D.Peoples-Jones
TE T.Hockenson

12 Team Dynasty ppr, 2QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,3Flex,TE Premium

QB J.Burrow, G.Smith
RB D.Cook, J.Mixon, A.Mattison, R.Mostert, S.Perine
WR M.Evans, A.Cooper, C.Kirk, N.Collins
TE E.Engram, G.Everett, C.Okonkwo, C.Otton

QB K.Murray, J.Burrow
RB D.Cook, D.Montgomery, A.Mattison, K.Herbert, T.Algeier
WR A.St.Brown, K.Allen, A.Theilen, B.Cooks, T.Boyd, R.Moore, D.Hopkins
TE T.Kelce, D.Waller, R.Gronkowski, R.Tonyan, C.Otton

Krypto_King
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krypto_King » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:21 pm

IZigUZag wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:23 pm
Krypto_King wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:26 pm
perkinsrooster wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:39 am
This makes sense to me. Don't your odds of beating an opponent go up in proportion to the average point differential at each position? If so then why aren't elite TE's more valuable than elite WR's? Maybe I'm missing something here - I'm just thinking out loud.
Gronk was. Kelce is the TE4 and .5 ppg better than the TE7. Hooper has been a difference maker this year but wasn't even an auto-start until week 4.

There is a pretty big pool of TEs that could be top 5 next year, which gives none of them elite value imo.
Where do Davante Adams, Deandre Hopkins, and Juju Smith Schuster rank this season? Do you not consider them elite values?

No one can tell what's going to happen in any given season; as there is just so much variance at the receiver positions. You value players for likelihoods; and it's far more likely that Kelce/Kittle are going to be strong TE1 plays next season than whatever break out candidates emerge throughout this year.
but that is my point, being a "strong TE1" isn't a difference maker, that's a floor play. To be a difference maker at TE you need to be Gronk who was year in, year out posting WR1 PPG and way above his peers, not 14ppg like Kelce has most often been.