TE delusion

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Re: TE delusion

Postby pvillebiker » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:11 pm

Grabbed me some Jace Sternberger in a TE premie league 3 weeks ago. Hoping he gets a shot soon to show he has potential. If not, happy to catch & release 'iz arse.

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:05 am

saw061600 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:51 am Based on some recent trade offers, rejections of both offers made by me and to me, I believe many owners of some popular rookies and "soon to break out" players are functioning in a state of delusion. There seems a strong belief that "any day now, TE X is going to break out and be a stud." History isn't with you and contenders are hamstringing themselves.
What choice do the majority of us dynasty owners have? Having s dedicated tight end position in general is stupid. TE and WR should be one thing.

HAVING to start a tight makes them disproportionately valueable.

There are about 4 weekly good ones.

The majority of us have no choice to hope guys like jonnu fant goeddert etc pan out.

They may realistically only be worth 2nds but ok.. go ahead trade a guy with a 30% of being viable away. Great now what? Go grab a guy with a 5% chance of being viable.

It's not delusion it's the opposite. Its facing cold hard realities of modern day dynasty fantasy footblall
QB - DWatson(HOU)Minshew(JAX)Darnold(NYJ)
RB -NChubb(CLE)DHenry(TEN)JTaylor(IND)Gurley(ATL)
WR -DHopkins(ARI)ACooper(DAL)CGodwin(TB)OBJ(CLE)
TE - HHenry(SD)DGoeddart(PHI)
K - Zurlien(LAR)Crosby(GB)
Def - ARI DAL
[rookie] Haskins(WAS)DSwift(DET)Jefferson(MIN)MHardman(KC)
7th pick in 2021

Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players don't take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd-year players that were drafted

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:48 am

MrUbuto wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:05 amWhat choice do the majority of us dynasty owners have? Having s dedicated tight end position in general is stupid. TE and WR should be one thing.

HAVING to start a tight makes them disproportionately valueable.
I couldn't disagree more. The NFL & fantasy landscape changes. And credit those owners who have one of the handful of difference makers.

About 15 years ago, the league was loaded with high production RBs and fantasy WRs had far less value. Today things are very different. Change can be slow, but it is certain.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:51 am

Yea I mean I'm not overly passionate about it and when I first heard it suggested I scoffed.

But the more I thought about it the more it made sense. They are just another pass catcher. Guys like kittle and ertz put up enough numbers to be legit wr1s most weeks. Forcing half the league to trot out guys like Rudolph who are basically just offensive tackles is a bit silly.

Dont get me started on kicker scoring..
Def - ARI DAL
7th pick in 2021

Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players don't take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd-year players that were drafted

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:23 pm

You just really have to stock up on them and pray. My TE "Stable" right now is Everett, Ebron, Dawson Knox, Hayden Hurst and Gronk
Pray Everrett can be what he looks like he can be
Pray Doyle Goes away
Pray Dawson can develop
Pray Andrews goes away or hurst leaves
and Pray Gronk comes back (i know this wont happen)

I dont plan on drafting a TE, its a waste really, just stock up on however many you can, ride it out, and hope.

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:48 pm

Weknownothing86 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:23 pm You just really have to stock up on them and pray. My TE "Stable" right now is Everett, Ebron, Dawson Knox, Hayden Hurst and Gronk
Pray Doyle Goes away
Pray Dawson can develop

I dont plan on drafting a TE, its a waste really, just stock up on however many you can, ride it out, and hope.
Damn. That is a large chunk of your roster for a spot you only need to start 1

That be like holding 18 wrs.

That's madness and honestly maybe Everett the rest I give about a 5% of being any good in 2 years
Def - ARI DAL
7th pick in 2021

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:23 pm

MrUbuto wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:48 pm
Weknownothing86 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:23 pm You just really have to stock up on them and pray. My TE "Stable" right now is Everett, Ebron, Dawson Knox, Hayden Hurst and Gronk
Pray Doyle Goes away
Pray Dawson can develop

That's madness and honestly maybe Everett the rest I give about a 5% of being any good in 2 years
Well I'm in the same boat in my home league. Ive got OJH, Goedert, Jonnu, and Herndon. The Kittle owner is a major Niner homer and wont trade Kittle for anything. The Kelce owner is a dummy and said he would rather have Kelce even if I offeres him MT. And I inquired about Ertz and he wouldn't even take a 1st. You've got to hoard as many good options as possible.

themburns
Starter
Starter

Postby themburns » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:32 pm

TE is very deep right now. Players are fickle and there have been so many strong buys in recent memory. Austin Hooper had multiple years of TE1 production and somehow still an afterthought. Darren Waller walked into a situation that gave Jared Cook a career year and was waiver fodder into June. 2017 was a historic class at the position with Kittle, Engram, Njoku, Howard, Everett, J. Smith, and the developmental wait on those guys is finally almost over.

Eric Ebron is a strong buy as of today. He will be a free agent after the season and last season showed he can handle volume. Probably could be had for a 3rd if there is no premium. I'm also high on Chris Herndon. Sprinkle, Uzomah, and Seals-jones are basically free and and could fall into enough volume to establish a role going into 2020.

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:04 pm

Bot101 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:23 pm
Pray Doyle Goes away
Pray Dawson can develop

Well I'm in the same boat in my home league. Ive got OJH, Goedert, Jonnu, and Herndon. The Kittle owner is a major Niner homer and wont trade Kittle for anything. The Kelce owner is a dummy and said he would rather have Kelce even if I offeres him MT. And I inquired about Ertz and he wouldn't even take a 1st. You've got to hoard as many good options as possible.
Is that crazy though?

Its not hard to argue kelce is worth more than MT.

There are 6 or 7gm guys in MTs league.

Kelce has maybe 2 guys.

A top end tight end is a lot more rare than a top end wr
Def - ARI DAL
7th pick in 2021

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:02 pm

MrUbuto wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:04 pm
Bot101 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:23 pm

Is that crazy though?

Its not hard to argue kelce is worth more than MT.

There are 6 or 7gm guys in MTs league.

Kelce has maybe 2 guys.

A top end tight end is a lot more rare than a top end wr
Yes I believe most would take MT over Kelce in anything except TE premium.

Mike from Canada
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Mike from Canada » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:46 pm

If we say MT has a value around 3 or 4 first round picks and the value of an elite TE is greater than the value of an elite TE due to the differential between elite and starter, shouldn't Kelce be going for something like 4 first round picks? But I don't see that and I'm curious why not.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:03 am

I wouldn't let a TE prevent me from getting a stud talent, but I understand the allure. TE is such a shallow position, so hitting on a stud can give you a big lineup luxury. And, lately...the TE hits have been all over the place in terms of draft pedigree:

Gronk: 2nd round pick
Kelce: 3rd round pick
Kittle: 5th round pick
Ertz: 2nd round pick
Olsen: 1st round pick
Graham: 3rd round pick
Waller: 6th round pick
Engram: 1st round pick
Walker: 6th round pick
Hooper: 3rd round pick
Andrews: 1st round pick

So, theoretically...the next big one could be anyone (even though most of them will bust).

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:31 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:03 am I wouldn't let a TE prevent me from getting a stud talent, but I understand the allure. TE is such a shallow position, so hitting on a stud can give you a big lineup luxury. And, lately...the TE hits have been all over the place in terms of draft pedigree:

Gronk: 2nd round pick
Kelce: 3rd round pick
Kittle: 5th round pick
Ertz: 2nd round pick
Olsen: 1st round pick
Graham: 3rd round pick
Waller: 6th round pick
Engram: 1st round pick
Walker: 6th round pick
Hooper: 3rd round pick
Andrews: 1st round pick

So, theoretically...the next big one could be anyone (even though most of them will bust).
I'm not sure about all these but I do know Andrews was a 3rd. Think you may have just mixed him up with Hurst

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:49 am

perkinsrooster wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:46 pm If we say MT has a value around 3 or 4 first round picks and the value of an elite TE is greater than the value of an elite TE due to the differential between elite and starter, shouldn't Kelce be going for something like 4 first round picks? But I don't see that and I'm curious why not.
TE scores less, Kelce is 30, TE is very situation-dependent than WR so more fluctuation, etc.

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:03 am

Pray Doyle Goes away
Pray Dawson can develop

I understand your take but id drop Gronk in an instant if i needed to, i just havent, I know he isnt coming back but i also havent needed to drop him. The waiver wire in my league is a desert wasteland, so there is no one there. I had Dissly too but traded him a day before his injury. IDK its a rough position to fill for many of us and you really just need to stock up on them and hope one of them has a semi consistent year, so far for this season thats been Everett for me.