Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Is Jameis Winston a Starting QB

Postby Pullo Vision » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:01 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:46 pm
StripesOfKC wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:36 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:33 pm

As I said to others, I've watched the guy play boneheaded football for 5 years. I just think he's a poor decision maker, and am not convinced it's fixable. He's had 5 years of average to poor QB play. It's not a huge accomplishment to beat out Taysom Hill. Honest question. How many current starters would lose a camp battle to Taysom Hill right now? How many backups would also beat him out? Mariota, and a few others, perhaps? So Winston winning the job simply doesn't change my view on the 5 years of football I've seen him play.

Generally curious what makes it more QB friendly than other systems? Payton has had Brees and only Brees for 15 years. Why is the NO's system more QB friendly than say, the Jets, or Bills, or Raiders, or Cowboys etc.?
Bridgewater stepped in and did decently well. Taysom Hill came in last year and still they kept winning. Not to mention Sean Payton being one of the best offensive coaches

I don't think Winston is very good or that he will be fixed but if it happens it's more likely in NO than on the Jets or Cowboys I'd say
I guess my question is, what about the system makes it better for a QB? I mean, Taysom had a system created just for his skill set, it really wasn't the same thing Winston will be running. Some plays, sure, but certainly not all of it.
That's my point. I don't believe there's a Payton "system" but he determines what a player can do and builds around that. I think Winston can give the NO offense a vertical element Brees didn't and Hill really couldn't. Payton can exploit that opportunity.

There's have been multi-year starters/pro-bowlers/HOFers that had a higher turnover tendency. I never liked Favre for his ridiculous throws and still remember him throwing a walk off pick 6 in a playoff game. Winston doesn't need to get to a Brees level of decision making to be a multi year starter or fantasy stud.

If we're gonna discuss Tampa pre and post Winston, we could discuss the Brown and Fournette additions, or Ronald Jones' development. I'd be more interested in hearing how Tampa changed its play calling from Arians' mad bombing ways after allowing Brady to have "input" in the scheme.

Arians' scheme encouraged risk taking behavior, and Winston was already a risk taker. Let's see what happens after a more careful thought process gets whispered in his ear for a year.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:03 am

Winston's contract incentives.
PFT wrote:For every game in which he participates in at least half of the offensive plays and the Saints win, he gets another $62,500 (with a maximum of $1 million).

For every playoff game in which he participates in at least half of the offensive plays and the Saints win, he gets another $250,000 (with a maximum of $1 million).

If he participates in 70 percent or more of the offensive plays and the Saints rank fifth or better in sacks allowed, he gets another $500,000.

If he participates in 70 percent or more of the offensive plays and the Saints make the playoffs, he gets another $500,000.

If he finishes the regular season with a passer ratting of 93 or better with at least 224 attempts, he gets another $500,000.

If he finishes the regular season with a completion percentage of 65 percent or better with at least 224 attempts, he gets another $500,000.

If he finishes the regular season with 2500 or more passing yards, he gets another $200,000.

If he finishes the regular season with 3000 or more passing yards, he gets another $300,000 (total of $500,000 for passing yards).

If he finishes the regular season with 3500 or more passing yards, he gets another $500,000 (total of $1 million for passing yards).

If he finishes the regular season with 16 or more passing touchdowns, he gets another $200,000.

If he finishes the regular season with 20 or more passing touchdowns, he gets another $300,000 (total of $500,000 for passing touchdowns).

If he finishes the regular season with 25 or more passing touchdowns, he gets another $500,000 (total of $1 million for passing touchdowns).

If he improves his 2021 performance over 2020 in any one of these categories, he gets another $1 million: playing time on offense, total passing yards, passing touchdowns, rushing touchdowns, or rushing yards. Thus, with 76 yards passing or one passing touchdown or anything more than -6 rushing yards or one rushing touchdown, he gets another $1 million.

So, basically, starting one game gets him another $1 million. He can make up to $6 million more. To max out, however, the Saints have to go 16-1 or better and win the Super Bowl, they have to finish fifth or better in sacks allowed, Winston needs to play at least 50 percent of every game, at least 70 percent of all snaps for the season, throw for at least 3,500 passing yards, and generate at least 25 passing touchdowns.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:32 am

4,500 35 TD 15 INT

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:01 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:03 am Winston's contract incentives.
PFT wrote:For every game in which he participates in at least half of the offensive plays and the Saints win, he gets another $62,500 (with a maximum of $1 million).

For every playoff game in which he participates in at least half of the offensive plays and the Saints win, he gets another $250,000 (with a maximum of $1 million).

If he participates in 70 percent or more of the offensive plays and the Saints rank fifth or better in sacks allowed, he gets another $500,000.

If he participates in 70 percent or more of the offensive plays and the Saints make the playoffs, he gets another $500,000.

If he finishes the regular season with a passer ratting of 93 or better with at least 224 attempts, he gets another $500,000.

If he finishes the regular season with a completion percentage of 65 percent or better with at least 224 attempts, he gets another $500,000.

If he finishes the regular season with 2500 or more passing yards, he gets another $200,000.

If he finishes the regular season with 3000 or more passing yards, he gets another $300,000 (total of $500,000 for passing yards).

If he finishes the regular season with 3500 or more passing yards, he gets another $500,000 (total of $1 million for passing yards).

If he finishes the regular season with 16 or more passing touchdowns, he gets another $200,000.

If he finishes the regular season with 20 or more passing touchdowns, he gets another $300,000 (total of $500,000 for passing touchdowns).

If he finishes the regular season with 25 or more passing touchdowns, he gets another $500,000 (total of $1 million for passing touchdowns).

If he improves his 2021 performance over 2020 in any one of these categories, he gets another $1 million: playing time on offense, total passing yards, passing touchdowns, rushing touchdowns, or rushing yards. Thus, with 76 yards passing or one passing touchdown or anything more than -6 rushing yards or one rushing touchdown, he gets another $1 million.

So, basically, starting one game gets him another $1 million. He can make up to $6 million more. To max out, however, the Saints have to go 16-1 or better and win the Super Bowl, they have to finish fifth or better in sacks allowed, Winston needs to play at least 50 percent of every game, at least 70 percent of all snaps for the season, throw for at least 3,500 passing yards, and generate at least 25 passing touchdowns.
Nice breakdown

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:11 am

Space Cowboy wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:32 am 4,500 35 TD 15 INT
I'd love to see a break down of the receiving TD's. I can't imagine that many, and that's not even on him. I don't see enough at the skill positions for that type of output.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:18 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:11 am
I'd love to see a break down of the receiving TD's. I can't imagine that many, and that's not even on him. I don't see enough at the skill positions for that type of output.
Jameis will do his thing from the 20's to 20's. Kamara can run in screens or wheel routes, MT will be back, Callaway can make plays deep and they'll have TE by committee.

If you're a decent QB, which Winston is, it's hard not to eclipse 30 TDs when you play 16 games. And now we have 17. The Taysom factor inside the 10 is a real threat, but I'm not panicking.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:25 am

Well Callaway's getting around 15, Thomas will probably have 16 inside of 8 weeks, Tre'Quan will get 10 easy, Trautman is going to break records so let's say conservatively 18, and we can't forget Kamara AND Latavius have receiving chops so maybe 12 between them. Plus I hear great things about Harris so maybe 8 there...and then you've got everyone else splitting up some touchdowns, let's say 10 between them all. Seems to me, we're looking at around 90 touchdowns.

This is, after all, the first time Winston has had anything for notable weapons...plus he's never been in an offense before that allowed and encouraged him freedom to take risks for big statistical output.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:27 am

Valhalla wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:25 am
Well Callaway's getting around 15, Thomas will probably have 16 inside of 8 weeks, Tre'Quan will get 10 easy, Trautman is going to break records so let's say conservatively 18, and we can't forget Kamara AND Latavius have receiving chops so maybe 12 between them. Plus I hear great things about Harris so maybe 8 there...and then you've got everyone else splitting up some touchdowns, let's say 10 between them all. Seems to me, we're looking at around 90 touchdowns.

This is, after all, the first time Winston has had anything for notable weapons...plus he's never been in an offense before that allowed and encouraged him freedom to take risks for big statistical output.
:lol: I know there is a 17th game now, but that output seems high, considering he never did that with Godwin and Evans, etc., and I am just not sure how many QB's in the league could put up 35 with these options. A few perhaps, but I have my doubts Jameis is one of them. It would take a lot to go right for that to happen for any QB, with the lack of WR options, currently.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:29 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:27 am

:lol: I know there is a 17th game now, but that output seems high, considering he never did that with Godwin and Evans, etc., and I am just not sure how many QB's in the league could put up 35 with these options. A few perhaps, but I have my doubts Jameis is one of them.
The INT count will surely go down and all those drives won't turn into punts. He'll find a way to make plays happen, I don't think 35 is far fetched at all.

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:31 am

I see what you did there. :clap:

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:09 am

While I understand there is a correlation between a QB stinking as a real life QB and getting benched, thus tanking his fantasy value; it seems like a lot of the arguments against Jameis are more based on his real life QB drawbacks. I think for fantasy, he's shown in the past he can be a low-end QB1, high end QB2. Also, I could definitely be taking the bait on this one; but I truly do believe he had astigmatism and likely hadn't done much over his life to address it (with it getting progressively worse over time). Not going to attribute all his short comings to it, but I think getting lasik done and being able to actually read the scoreboard/play clock/see more than 20 yards down the field should help him. I'm not drafting him as a QB1 anywhere, but his ADP and value as QB18-20 around round 12-13 is appealing to me for someone I think could easily finish higher than that. I realize I'm taking the optimistic view on a lot of the facts, but the hate towards him from so many people does seem a little unwarranted to me (at least from a fantasy prospective).

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:54 pm

Apparently, yes.

He embarrassed Green Bay this afternoon.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:25 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:27 am I am just not sure how many QB's in the league could put up 35 with these options. A few perhaps, but I have my doubts Jameis is one of them. It would take a lot to go right for that to happen for any QB, with the lack of WR options, currently.
*immediately throws 5 TD's*

Great times, I'm happy for ol' crab legs.

It's almost like Sean Payton is a really good coach who knows what he's doing!

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:52 pm

I was hopeful, but also doubtful.

I'm happy to see him start this way.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Ice
Legend
Legend